Should the Dragonborn be a certain race or sex?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Black Orchid

Death Incarnate
If it was supposed to be a certain race, don't you think it would be called the Dragonman/lizard/lady/cat, hm? Nope, Dragonborn

Don't forget "Rabbit-born!"

11jra03.jpg

(This is not my pic; credit goes to Mickyan from Skyrim Nexus http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/37982//?)

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
I'm a big Nord player, so in that respect, I kind of understand. Though for my Dunmer character, I've come up with a story that says Katariah's son Cassynder had an illegitimate child with a Dunmer woman and the child was taken and raised by Katariah's Dunmer family. After a few generations, you have my Dunmer character. This gives him a legit claim to Septim/Dragonborn blood. This does make it more plausible for me.

Though my main Dragonborn is a female Nord. She's a total badass and I've never thought twice that her gender was wrong. It's actually a little sad that in today's world there are still people who have such rigid concept of gender roles.

WillnRoll

Come to think of it, you actually got a point, but I think more of the person's manners, for instance, I don't think an assassin/ thief / evil kind of character would fit as a Dragonborn, I mean, everybody rely on the Dragonborn to save the world, if (s)he is an evil one, I don't want to live in Tamriel anymore.

Valin Oakthorn

Vagabond Extraordinaire
Actually, Akatosh is a elven god. The only actual "man" god is talos, if I'm correct than the rest have been and were worshiped first by the aldmer and then by the altmer.

Lunaruse

The Milkdrinking Elf
Auri-El is the elven equivalent of Akatosh, and is actually one of the chief deities of the Altmer's pantheon. The Altmer believe themselves (and also fellow mer) to be descendants of Auri-El, so it isn't a far stretch that an elf could be the dragonborn. And plus, it's Akatosh's blood. He can do whatever he damn well pleases with it.

While the male (or even female) nord is the most obvious interpretation of the Dragonborn, it is far too generic and boring for my own personal taste. Its what the people of skyrim would expect. Imagine how Nords would react if they found out that the dragonborn was an elf, especially a female elf. There would be denial and rage. But one day, they could see the dragonborn not for the color or texture of their skin, not by the pointiness of their ears, but for their actions. And from this, they would be better able to see past race in the future (hopefully).

Lady Redpool the Unlifer

Pyro, Spirits Connoisseur, and Soulless Anarchist

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Well i was thinking of this before but the thing is are you playing the iconic Dragonborn from the trailer? No.
So that means the Dragonborn can anyone you want him/she to be. Btw thats racist. XD
Btw Dragonborn can be anyone even a town guard
I hope you don't mean my original post is racist (although, I admit that it seems to be and am trying to figure out if I'm a horrible person for even holding such opinions).

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
I'm a big Nord player, so in that respect, I kind of understand. Though for my Dunmer character, I've come up with a story that says Katariah's son Cassynder had an illegitimate child with a Dunmer woman and the child was taken and raised by Katariah's Dunmer family. After a few generations, you have my Dunmer character. This gives him a legit claim to Septim/Dragonborn blood. This does make it more plausible for me.

Though my main Dragonborn is a female Nord. She's a total badass and I've never thought twice that her gender was wrong. It's actually a little sad that in today's world there are still people who have such rigid concept of gender roles.
I'm actually playing a Nord female Dragonborn and having a blast. It's totally different from what I've played previously and it's really making me RP something so outside my own comfort zone (although not as much as my female Khajit character that refuses to even believe she's Dragon Born and is making it a goal to join the TG and DB).

AS88

Staff member
I played an Orc Dragonborn once. I justified his gift being due to the fact that Akatosh saw my Orc as the most suitable to carry the burden, his backstory meant he was skilled and disciplined, as well as an intelligent and learned individual. I also RPed that the Berserker Rage ability was another gift from Akatosh, an ability to channel the fury of the gods into his own actions. :)

Enhance89

I don't think race/gender plays as much of a factor as play style. For example, most of my early characters were melee types that were either Redguard, Orc or Nord. I then made a wood elf assassin/archer, and I never felt right playing the main story line missions just because he was a small, sneaky guy. None of that would have changed had they been female.

I don't choose female characters very often simply because I don't like the way gear ends up looking on their bodies, and it was the same when I played WoW. I never payed as small characters, or females, because the gear never looked as cool as it did on a big male character.

Lady Redpool the Unlifer

Pyro, Spirits Connoisseur, and Soulless Anarchist
I still haven't figured out how to work being dragonborn in to my female, nasty Khajit character. She's hard enough to RP for me and all this avoidance is getting on my last nerve.

If you're looking for a way to RP her being Dragonborn, justify Akatosh choosing her. Who knows, the world may need a sneaky, underhanded girl with a cutthroat attitude. Or maybe it's something in her past. As for her non-acceptance of the gift( I really hope I'm remembering your story correctly), she may need to acclimate to it, or have an epiphany. If she's going through a faction questline, maybe the responsibility of leadership can help her accept it, or maybe she learns to love the land of Skyrim and accepts the gift grudgingly in order to save the land she loves. When RPing, it's all about the story.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts