Should I tone down my difficulty? (My thoughts on Master)

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Skillshott

I've been playing on Master since I started playing, and right now I'm about level 12. The game is pretty fun like this, having a lot of strategy to each fight, even with just normal enemies. I tried to make this as difficult as possible, not using a companion, trying to use as few potions as possible, etc. I'm doing a Blade/spell build, but it's not often I can only stick to that because of the ridiculously hard enemies.

The game at this point seems to be both very strategical and tedious, having to plan out everything and usually dying before I get things done. Just going from place to place I can get two hit by an Ice Wolf, an Ice Wolf that I do no damage to.

A fight with a couple of regular Draugr for me: Put on robes, set a fire rune, wait for Magicka to recharge, set Fireball to dual cast, go and lure them out. Backpedal while I hit a couple of fireballs at them and they set off my trap. At this point I have probably killed one and my Magicka is completely depleted. If I can, I go and hide in the corner to try to get a sneak attack off, if not, I run away as fast as I can, getting a few bow shots in. At this point I probably have nowhere to go and have to fight. I use unrelenting force to get them off of me while I switch to all my heavy armor and my fire/2hander. While they get back to me, I use a power attack for a little bit of extra damage, then switch to my shield and sword. I make sure I block every single one of their hits, because if I don't I'll probably have to burn at least two potions. When I can, I switch to my robes, unrelenting force, and dual cast spells till they get back at me, and then I switch back to my heavy armor. Rinse and repeat until I die or they die. Clearing one dungeon takes a very long time.

Is it really this hard for most people? Will my build just not work? I really want to try to keep this as hard as possible for me right now, but it's just getting kind of tedious. Will it get better, or anything in general you can tell me?

Hargood

Defender of Helpless Kittens
I'm not sure I understand the problem enough to comment.

Are you saying you like it on Hard mode but don't want killing enemies to be to hard and tedious? I'm just trying to clarify.

I can say while on harder modes, some things need to be "escaped" from when your skills are very low. Everything doesn't scale with your level like Oblivion did.

dunklunk

You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die.
Maybe drop it to Expert, Skillshott, for a while at least. Or even Adept, depending. Then when you level up a bit more, change it back to Master.

My second play through, I kept getting my ass kicked from Alduin in the opening scene! Always burning me to a crisp. Then I realized, the setting was on Master from my first character. Dropped it to Expert and it's a whole lot more manageable. At least I got past Alduin and stopped being Kentucky Fried Orc. :D

Tannia

Maybe drop it to Expert, Skillshott, for a while at least. Or even Adept, depending. Then when you level up a bit more, change it back to Master.

My second play through, I kept getting my ass kicked from Alduin in the opening scene! Always burning me to a crisp. Then I realized, the setting was on Master from my first character. Dropped it to Expert and it's a whole lot more manageable. At least I got past Alduin and stopped being Kentucky Fried Orc. :D

yep, I recommend dropping it down to Expert for awhile like Dunklunk says

KFO? So THAT'S what happened to the Kernel's forge wife!

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts