• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Docta Corvina

Because if such things were happening so much, why is our media, which jumps on that kind of thing constantly, not be reporting it? Fox new sure, but what about the ultra-liberal news agencies? I am not seeing it, and it would be reported the hell out of I would think, why wouldn't it be? And I can tell you I have ran into situations where a Black guy has totally antagonized me and basically hoped I said something racist because its so much worse for a white person to then a Black guy towards a white guy.

I don't know, I was sincerely asking. As I don't think its active white racism causing it anymore. In the past? Oh yes, no doubt, now? I think thats just a excuse to say.

You're right, segregation and Jim Crow is not the law of the land anymore. But overt, KKK-style lynch mob brand racism doesn't represent all racism. So to say that because it's no longer a certain era of US history that racism is no longer a problem or an issue worthy of examination is, to put it mildly, not giving it nearly enough consideration. Institutionalized racism is something that is very real, even now. Racism that is inherent to a power structure can wield just as much damage - even if it's not expressly violent - in the present and over time. The stats that Stephen posted demonstrate this quite clearly.

For the record, the black universities were largely established in the days in which blacks could not attend college with whites, and were essentially forced to provide for their own people educationally with what means they had available. I should know, I have family employed at an HBU (Historically Black University). It allows and encourages people of all races to apply and attend school there, as well. I have seen plenty of white students, faculty and staff there. Ebony magazine, likewise, has been running since 1945 - also during the Jim Crow era in this country. It was an entertainment outlet for African-Americans when they previously had few to none available to them.

Essentially, these things were not born out "superiority" to white people. They were born out of necessity and have been carried on as part of the US culture at large, as much as a part of "black" culture.

Stephen Daidalus

I would submit that at least in some areas, (like los angeles) a prime reason why more African American men are in jail then white men is because in black communities (in LA as an example) gangs are a big part of their culture, specifically the bloods and crypts, most men at least in LA that are black are probably in jail on a drug or gang related charge.....where as while there are gangs with white members (white supremacists and all that) its not quite as ingrained in the white culture overall I would say....not in the U.S. at least.

Lots of different things going on here. So let's just take drug charges for a moment.

"The 20-page report, "Decades of Disparity: Drug Arrests and Race in the United States," says that adult African Americans were arrested on drug charges at rates that were 2.8 to 5.5 times as high as those of white adults in every year from 1980 through 2007, the last year for which complete data were available. About one in three of the more than 25.4 million adult drug arrestees during that period was African American."

http://www.hrw.org/news/2009/03/02/us-drug-arrests-skewed-race

Now, if there's no racism, why are black people more likely to be arrested on a drug charge than white people. Same crime, right? So why the increased rate of arrest?

OrexxerO

I realize why they were founded Doctor. My point is, even though some of these colleges to accept white students and such, there are some that still also reject white students today as well. There was also the case just recently of a white kid wining a scholarship that was usually given to blacks, it was taken away from him because he was white. Im saying since we are past the "overt" segregation and crap like that, these things that were necessary then serve to continue to segregate the races in a whole different way.

Now, if there's no racism, why are black people more likely to be arrested on a drug charge than white people. Same crime, right? So why the increased rate of arrest?

I think you misunderstand my stance, and excuse the pun but I understand that racism isn't all "black and white" I realize there is still white racists, I just feel like the black community, and minorities in general, still wish for, and act like they are victims to the same degree as they regrettably were back during the slave years and jim crow law days.

Stephen Daidalus

I think you misunderstand my stance, and excuse the pun but I understand that racism isn't all "black and white" I realize there is still white racists, I just feel like the black community, and minorities in general, still wish for, and act like they are victims to the same degree as they regrettably were back during the slave years and jim crow law days.

I added the emphasis.

Okay. Seriously. You believe this? Really?

There are black people, in fact minorities in general you say, who want to go back to slavery. Wha?

OrexxerO

Not go back to slavery no, but they want to play the victim role long past those times and use that to try and guilt people like me who's ancestors probably did that sort of thing.

Stephen Daidalus

Not go back to slavery no, but they want to play the victim role long past those times and use that to try and guilt people like me who's ancestors probably did that sort of thing.

No one needs to guilt you over what you ancestors have done. The fact is that the statistics speak for themselves. If you are white you are far less likely to be jailed, you are far more likely to earn more, much more likely to accumulate greater wealth, and will most certainly be better represented in all levels of government. Those things merely represent the daily reality of the fact that you, as a white male, enjoy an enormous privilege. A few cases of reverse discrimination here and there do not counter the fact that you do not suffer the perpetual, everyday, never ending effects of racism or sexism that other visible minorities must struggle against their entire lives.

You can try to brush the facts off by asserting a suspicion over the validity of statistics. But these are not complicated statistics. They are very straightforward, and all they do is simply describe reality in aggregate for white people, like you and me, who have no personal experience of institutionalized racism on the individual level.

Doctor Langstrom

I want to be FEARED!
81675838.jpg

OrexxerO

You can try to brush the facts of by asserting a suspicion over the validity of statistics. But these are not complicated statistics. They are very straightforward, and what they do is simply describe reality in aggregate for white people, like you and me, who have no personal experience on the individual level.

Im not trying to "brush off the facts" im trying to say that the road still goes both ways. Here is a example of what I am trying to say:

http://voices.yahoo.com/racial-double-standards-media-ignores-anti-429985.html

and here is another:

http://frontpagemag.com/2012/walter-williams/the-offensiveness-of-racial-double-standards/

Doctor Langstrom

I want to be FEARED!

Stephen Daidalus

Im not trying to "brush off the facts" im trying to say that the road still goes both ways. Here is a example of what I am trying to say:

http://voices.yahoo.com/racial-double-standards-media-ignores-anti-429985.html

and here is another:

http://frontpagemag.com/2012/walter-williams/the-offensiveness-of-racial-double-standards/

As I said, a few examples of reverse discrimination do not counter the enormous amount of evidence that shows that institutionalized, systemic racism -- against minorities -- still exists and it is poisonous.

OrexxerO

Ok, what kind of institutionlized, systemic racism? give specific examples please.

OrexxerO

Yes, Doctor, seriously.

Stephen Daidalus

Ok, what kind of institutionlized, systemic racism? give specific examples please.

You can't give examples of institutionalized racism. The meaning of the word suggests that it effects just about everyone in some fashion.

My statistics are perfectly sufficient as examples, since they represent an entire country worth of examples.

You need personal stories or something before you'll believe?

Sorry. I'm a white guy. I don't have any personal stories to tell you. But if you need some, you could start by subscribing to http://www.theroot.com/ and reading it with an open mind and without assuming that everyone who has a beef is just playing the victim.

OrexxerO

You can't give examples of institutionalized racism. The meaning of the word suggests that it effects just about everyone in some fashion.

Ok, I realize this, I think I was talking about one facet of it. I am not saying that blacks still don't have to deal with some things. Im just saying that its not as it was.

Stephen Daidalus

Ok, I realize this, I think I was talking about one facet of it. I am not saying that blacks still don't have to deal with some things. Im just saying that its not as it was.

No. Of course it is not as it was. Black people can vote, and it's actually illegal to own them and kill them and stuff.

But that doesn't mean that racism is not an enormous burden on people still. Because it is.

Doctor Langstrom

I want to be FEARED!

No, it's worse. Because all the closest racists came out of the woodwork as soon as the United States elected a black president. And I'm only speaking out on my country. The only thing worse than a racist is the one who hides that he is racist.

OrexxerO

racism-demote.jpg