• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Swingbo

I have a Treasure Hunter character who I will retire by finding a crypt that doesn't refresh and I will spread treasure in the urns and random coins and stuff, all the stuff I have saved up, and then I will get one of the strongest followers and make them the best armor that will be enchanted and improved and I will fully equip them and post them outside the crypt as my guardian, after which I climb down into the crypt to die.

How does that sound, do you have any of your own?

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
I pick this one to keep alive! It's a good topic and always fun to discuss.

Most of my characters get "retired" when I lose interest in them. However, what I think would be the true finale for most of my character, since I primarily play hearty Nord warriors, would be facing the Ebony Warrior. I feel like... unless they have some other motivation, they can basically hang up their weapon and retire to their home by the water.

By the time they've reached the EW they've stopped the dragon menace, joined and completed any faction they wanted, and either ended the Civil War or stayed out of it completely. The only thing they would need to do is take on the Thalmor, but there is a limit to what they can accomplish to that end within Skyrim.

So, yeah, man. An epic duel between the Ebony Warrior and Ylva... that's the way to retire. You take your armor off, put on a blacksmith apron, tend to the apiary, and produce the finest weapons and meads in all of Skyrim.

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
My Vampire Lord, Incubus retired after killing Lord Harkon. He was the Master Thief, Listener and Arch Mage and had returned the Volkihar clan their full strength. He sat down at the head of the Volkihar table with Serana on one side and Jannessa (his wife) on the other side and I hardsaved that image as his retirement.

He is the only character that I have gotten a good way through the game to retire.

My Altmer, Elenwen (who I havent played in quite some time) is at the College of Winterhold training up and my Necromancer Volanaro is in a Necromancer Lair at the moment perfecting his skill. They are not retired... just resting :p

GroBenjii will probably retire after fighting the Ebony Warrior as I do like that idea. He will probably help Moth out as a blacksmith in the Markarth Keep or move back to Mor Khazgur with his wife Borgakh and become Chief.

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
GroBenjii will probably retire after fighting the Ebony Warrior as I do like that idea. He will probably help Moth out as a blacksmith in the Markarth Keep or move back to Mor Khazgur with his wife Borgakh and become Chief.

An Orc (assuming GroBenjii is an Orc on his choice of spouse and home) can ask for nothing better than defeating the Ebony Warrior! If he's really lucky, he'll die from his wounds, but only after the EW has succumbed.

Or one day he will set out on the road, an Orc beyond his capable years, waiting for a passerby to test their mettle against him in search for a good death. Seems kind of romantic... One last kiss for his wife, he heads out, dressed in his finest armor, carrying his finest weapon. She stands there, atop the Stronghold's gate, and watches her beloved walk into the horizon in search of peace.

Epic. :beermug:

Swingbo

I have a mage character I plan to retire once he has mastered magic, I might jump off High Hrothgar using everything at my disposal trying to stay alive, besides become etheral. Or maybe go to a giant camp and try and use my first weapon. Any ideas for retiring a mage.

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member

An Orc (assuming GroBenjii is an Orc on his choice of spouse and home) can ask for nothing better than defeating the Ebony Warrior! If he's really lucky, he'll die from his wounds, but only after the EW has succumbed.

Or one day he will set out on the road, an Orc beyond his capable years, waiting for a passerby to test their mettle against him in search for a good death. Seems kind of romantic... One last kiss for his wife, he heads out, dressed in his finest armor, carrying his finest weapon. She stands there, atop the Stronghold's gate, and watches her beloved walk into the horizon in search of peace.

Epic. :beermug:

He is indeed an Orc. Perhaps the Ebony Warrior will be his good death. I have never fought the EW so Im not sure what to expect. I can imagine it will be quite some time before I get to him though. Ive played 95hours and GroBenjii is only Lv33 (lots of roleplay and drinking).

But I agree, that does sound epic and the way an Orc Champion should retire :cool:

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
He is indeed an Orc. Perhaps the Ebony Warrior will be his good death. I have never fought the EW so Im not sure what to expect. I can imagine it will be quite some time before I get to him though. Ive played 95hours and GroBenjii is only Lv33 (lots of roleplay and drinking).

But I agree, that does sound epic and the way an Orc Champion should retire :cool:

I understand. I've never managed to encounter the EW, either. One day... one day...

I have a mage character I plan to retire once he has mastered magic, I might jump off High Hrothgar using everything at my disposal trying to stay alive, besides become etheral. Or maybe go to a giant camp and try and use my first weapon. Any ideas for retiring a mage.

You know, when I thought of a goof way for a mage to retire, I immediately thought of Gandalf hopping on the boat to Valinor. Valinor, in case you're unfamiliar, is part of Aman aka the Undying Lands. Elves are immortal in Toklien lore and they all come from Valinor. They were exiled and eventually they're allowed to return. Bilbo and Frodo get a free pass because of their involvement with the One Ring. Gandalf may get to go for the same reason...or maybe it's because he's one of the 5 mages of Middle-Earth. I'm not a 100% on that. But it basically symbolizes going to paradise and being rewarded for their efforts.

Why not have something similar for your character? Have him transcend into another plain of existence. Or literally have him hop into the water and swim as far as the game will let him. When he reaches the end, you save, and solemnly turn the game off. More symbolic and perhaps a little less...dramatic than flinging himself off a cliff.

Just an idea. To be fair, I've never played a mage so I'm not entirely sure. But I think Gandalf is a good benchmark for any mage character.

Cherry

Farfetch'd is judging you!

I understand. I've never managed to encounter the EW, either. One day... one day...

You know, when I thought of a goof way for a mage to retire, I immediately thought of Gandalf hopping on the boat to Valinor. Valinor, in case you're unfamiliar, is part of Aman aka the Undying Lands. Elves are immortal in Toklien lore and they all come from Valinor. They were exiled and eventually they're allowed to return. Bilbo and Frodo get a free pass because of their involvement with the One Ring. Gandalf may get to go for the same reason...or maybe it's because he's one of the 5 mages of Middle-Earth. I'm not a 100% on that. But it basically symbolizes going to paradise and being rewarded for their efforts.

Why not have something similar for your character? Have him transcend into another plain of existence. Or literally have him hop into the water and swim as far as the game will let him. When he reaches the end, you save, and solemnly turn the game off. More symbolic and perhaps a little less...dramatic than flinging himself off a cliff.

Just an idea. To be fair, I've never played a mage so I'm not entirely sure. But I think Gandalf is a good benchmark for any mage character.

A bit off-topic, but the reason Gandalf set off to Valinor, was because that's where he came from originally. He's a Maiar, angelic immortal beings who had a part in creating Middle-Earth along with the Valar, and Iluvatar (who's the God in Tolkien's mythos). Olorin was Gandalf's original name.

All the Wizards were maiar, as was Sauron and all the Balrogs too. Sorry, a bit of a Tolkien nerd over here...

Lucid

I have a Treasure Hunter character who I will retire by finding a crypt that doesn't refresh and I will spread treasure in the urns and random coins and stuff, all the stuff I have saved up, and then I will get one of the strongest followers and make them the best armor that will be enchanted and improved and I will fully equip them and post them outside the crypt as my guardian, after which I climb down into the crypt to die.

How does that sound, do you have any of your own?

I really like your crypt-death plan! I never retire a long-term character without a story and plan for it. I have had some that I just couldn't get attached to and allowed to die anonymous, gloryless deaths. Some of my memorable retirements are below:

Dunmer assassin who used to hit the sleeping tree sap before jobs, fell down the waterfall in Markarth - losing his daggers in the fall - and got killed by guards.

Breton battlemage and Blade - retired to run the college of Winterhold and continue her work as a historian. Sometimes assists Esbern with his research and recordkeeping.

Redguard tank who will proudly spend the rest of his days in Jorrvaskr as Harbinger of The Companions.

Nord warrior, married to Ulfric Stormcloak. Leads a busy life as Queen Consort of Skyrim, no time for adventuring.

Swingbo

That might be a good idea, that reminds me that I was wondering if you could swim from solsthiwm to skyrim and back? That's probably in the wrong thread though.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Y'all have some great ideas for "retiring" your characters. I must be really lousy at RP since, my method of "retiring" them is deleting them from my system and pretending they never existed. Hmmph. :sadface:

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
I have a pretty elaborate system as well:

"Are you sure you want to delete this file?"

"Yes"

"Yes"

"Yes"

"Yes"

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
That's kind of sad! You spend so much time with a character that it's nice to dream up how their story ends.

If it means anything, I haven't really retired any characters. I usually lose interest and they get deleted. But I try to keep the saves of a character I did 100+ hours on, even if I don't like the direction the character went and doubt I'll ever pick them up again.

Daelon DuLac

That's kind of sad! You spend so much time with a character that it's nice to dream up how their story ends.

If it means anything, I haven't really retired any characters. I usually lose interest and they get deleted. But I try to keep the saves of a character I did 100+ hours on, even if I don't like the direction the character went and doubt I'll ever pick them up again.
100+ hours. FAH! I've had that on 90% of the characters I've created. Let's up it to 500+ or even 1000+. My 110th level mage is the only character I currently have saved and, by the time I get back to Skyrim again I'll probably delete her too. I have this idea for an Argonian that lives in the sewer under Honningbrew... hmm....

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
100+ hours. FAH! I've had that on 90% of the characters I've created. Let's up it to 500+ or even 1000+. My 110th level mage is the only character I currently have saved and, by the time I get back to Skyrim again I'll probably delete her too. I have this idea for an Argonian that lives in the sewer under Honningbrew... hmm....

HOW?! How can you have so much time to do this?! I feel like I'm always playing Skyrim, but I can't imagine having 500+ hours on a character. I'm going to check to see how many hours my main character is. I'm really sure it's only like, a 150 or so.

I guess I'm more of a light weight than I thought.

Daelon DuLac

HOW?! How can you have so much time to do this?! I feel like I'm always playing Skyrim, but I can't imagine having 500+ hours on a character. I'm going to check to see how many hours my main character is. I'm really sure it's only like, a 150 or so.

I guess I'm more of a light weight than I thought.
6 hours a night and 18 hours every weekend and, of course, no friends, no social life and no... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......
th

Hey! I really like video games. :)

Swingbo

I have a pretty elaborate system as well:

"Yes"

"Yes"

"Yes"

"Yes"
That is what I do with characters I am not attached to.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts