OOC [Recruiting] The Outside Threat

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, and welcome to our roleplaying section. Please take some time to read two of these useful resources below, if you're already a roleplaying expert, then there's no need to read the following beginner's guide, but be sure to read the rules.

Free Form Role Playing Guide for Beginners
    JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.

Therin

Name: Therin (No Last Name)

Race:Breton

Family: No close family alive; some extended family back in High Rock

Birthplace: Near Evermore, High Rock

Residence: Lund's Hut (northwest of Rorikstead); although most of the year he ranges throughout the borders of Hjaalmarch, Whiterun, and The Reach with his flock.

Physical Description: Approximately six feet tall with a lean-to-medium build; dark-brown shoulder length hair; brown, puppy-dog eyes; and a slightly tan, but still fair complexion.

Personality Description: Shepherding is a solitary profession. As such, Therin feels most comfortable with his herd of sheep and his wolfhound, Dax. He is kind, nurturing, and protective of his charges. On the rare times that he visits villages or farms, he is polite, but shy when dealing with people. Of late, he has begun feeling a peculiar yearning that young men often get, but hasn't yet identified what it means. An encroaching feeling of loneliness stems from this emotion.

Weapons: A shepherd's crook made of oak and a wool shepherd's sling. (As time progresses, and if we have a competent blacksmith in our group, Therin may upgrade his crook to a glaive to deal with the new threats and signify a change from defense to more offensive capabilities.)

Clothing: His clothes are made of wool, having plenty of it at hand, and he wears a pair of leather boots.

Skills: Therin is adept with his two-handed crook, and shepherd's sling. While most of his quarry are attacking wolves or sabrecats, he does have some experience fighting humans, in the form of bandits or forsworn (although, he tries to lead his flock away from people, avoiding any confrontation, if possible). Being out on his own, he is adept with survival skills, including food and water gathering, shelter-making, tracking, navigation, and rudimentary alchemy (using the ingredients raw instead of creating bottled potions or poisons). Since he is most at home in a natural environment, he will be a lot less effective in a village or city.

History: Therin's father, Lund, was the youngest child in a family of farmers, near Evermore in High Rock. As the family's farm was divvied up by his older brothers, Lund left the homestead to raise the family's large flock of sheep. Eventually, this job was given to his brothers' sons and Lund journeyed east across the Druadach Mountains with a quarter of the flock and build himself a cabin near Rorikstead where he met Therin's mother and begat her a child. She died during childbirth, and Lund raised Therin alone. They shepherded as father and son, which made the job less lonely. As Therin grew older, Lund let him range farther and farther away with his own flock of sheep. One day, in his sixteenth year, Therin returned to his father's camp and discovered his father's body. It seemed like he died of natural causes, and Therin built him a cairn. Since then, Therin had been on his own, living out in the wilderness, only venturing into Rorikstead four times a year to shear the sheep and trade with the townsfolk. He visits individual farmsteads more often than that, trading with the farmers for provisions.

The sample will have to wait until tomorrow, as my family is having a campfire get together tonight and I'll be leaving shortly to attend.

rizen

A to the K homeboy
    VERY Nice CC, Therin!! :D - I won't require a sample of your writing, I've seen your work and the history section of your CC is convincing enough by itself - nicely written! One thing though, the name is the same as your username...If you choose to run with that, which is cool, try not to let that influence your character.

...part of the reason I had requested that applicants try out a character unlike anything they have done before is so that there would be a distancing from the writer's opinions and their character's actions - literally channeling a character and not falling into the trap of projecting themselves. This way I'm hoping it will all keep us honest to the character traits during moments of morally grey areas (without us, as the storytellers, judging each other or taking personal offence) AND I may OR may not send some, or all of you, a message to discuss an agenda of your character to serve as a sideplot and keep our characters on their toes (the personal details of these are NOT to be discussed with each other as this could be a game changer at times).

-------

URGENT
    With that said, I will need to write up an intro post (within next day or two)...So lets put it to vote: Where do you all think this story should start from? - the beginning of the viral outbreak? or some time after the outbreak has already happened?

URGENT-ISH
    We'll need a direction for the cast fairly early into the story, so we have to decide on a meeting place. The first place to be mentioned and then seconded by somebody else will do.

Ok :) so...on top of those issues, does anybody have any questions?

Delusional

Connoisseur of Hallucinations
    Well, I call this color for Silann.

I think that it should start from the beginning of the viral outbreak. It should be a sudden thing, and it should start out frantically, with everyone learning about the infection and doing anything they can to protect themselves. If we started some time after it broke out, our characters would already have some degree of experience. And we want to start from scratch.

As for meeting place, I'm not sure. Perhaps they run into each other on the road, or the same two characters travel to the same place to take refuge in, and join together. I don't know.

Therin

Rizen,

Your concern is noted, and I'll be on my guard. :) I'm a firm believer of the "write what you know" rule, and, while I have quite a few incarnations of "Therin" that I've RP'd with, none of them are carbon copies of myself. We may share a few similar qualities, but I believe that helps me connect with my character better and allows me to write about them more accurately. Rest assured, my characters have attributes that I'd never possess (or would like to possess, but don't), which does allow me to flex my creative muscles a bit and expand outside my comfort zone, but not too much to negatively effect my writing. I also tried to break out of the game's shadow a bit by giving my character different weapons and abilities than those found in the game, while still trying to stay true to the setting. Also, I think this is my first non-magical character, so that's different, too.

I think we should start a week or two after the initial outbreak to give the disease a reasonable chance to spread across Skyrim, but not enough time for our characters to become familiar or experienced with it.

As for the location, I thought a long time about that. It seems to me that those who live in a city (Rizen, Wolfbane, and Delusional) will see how the disease is spread, and will leave to a more remote place. Those who live in the rural area (MagicBlade and myself) will initially see the disease and flee to the closest city for protection and to warn of the threat unbeknownst that its already been there. So I pick Fort Snowhawk. Its relatively central to each of our starting locations (Markarth, Falkreath, Solitude, and Rorikstead), so its reasonable that we'd all travel past it. Its out of the way and fortified, so it'll be a small reprieve for our characters to get to know each other, but its also close enough to Morthal to eventually be overrun and we'll be forced to flee, if that's what we choose to do.

Another thought is that each of our first posts will be a "prologue" for our character, describing their first encounter with the disease. By the end of the post, they point themselves in the direction of Fort Snowhawk (probably not intending it as their destination, but unintentionally and inexorably heading there, anyway). Our second post might begin less than a day's travel from the fort and describes us all coming together. The time will vary between the first and second post for each character (as some have to travel farther than others, or are slower than others), but the time of the prologues don't have to match up since we're all separated, anyway.

Just my thoughts.

rizen

A to the K homeboy
    All valid things to consider, thanks Delusional and Therin :)

Wolfbane,
    Magicblade,
    Auditore...

Anything to add?
    I'd like to hear your input before running with a starter post.

A.Auditore

maybe...
    Besides that i at times have no idea whats going on... No i have nothing to add.... yet.... ;):D:eek:

Delusional

MagicBlade has been MIA the past few days, I've noticed. I would really love it if we could perhaps get this roleplay started up soon, but I understand you want input from all of the participating parties before jumping in.

rizen

A to the K homeboy
    Yeah, I tend to agree, Del. Has been long enough waiting time for a response. Hopefully those 2 will make an appearance. If we don't hear anything within another week, we'll shft their characters aside and have another call for applicants.

Therin has pretty much come up with the same starting situation that I had in mind, so to get this thing going - I'll have a starter post up by the end of the day tomorrow. From there, feel free to get your intro posts in and then we're into it.

Delusional

Alright, sounds good. I'm excited to get this off the ground.

Delusional

So, to clarify... We are starting about a week or two after the initial outbreak of the disease in Morthal? How far has it traveled in this time? Because since my character lives on the opposite side of Skyrim from 'ground zero' of the infection, I want to know if he even should know about the outbreak, or just caught wind of a rumor or two, nothing to pay much concern to.

rizen

A to the K homeboy
    Personally, I'll be looking to start from about a week or two after the outbreak - but since your character is further away, you could comfortably write from the beginning if you wanted to...I mean, it isn't like we'd be writing up every single minute detail, so you could summarise where you feel it is appropriate or just skip ahead wherever (as long as it fits). But yeah, I kept the first post open and vague since we haven't heard from Magicblade or Wolfbane yet. I'm not saying you have to write all of your character's accounts from when you start right up to 2 weeks later because I feel like starting there, not at all...write from where you think you should start. Theres plenty of ways to make the timeframe fit. eg. once your character gets to the safehouse, they could simply wait for the others to arrive or maybe they are somehow rendered unconscious, wakes up, doesn't know how much time has passed...that's just off the top of my head. But we'll make it work :D

Delusional

Hm alright. I will think of something. Since he is far away, he most likely won't have even heard of the epidemic until recently, so I figure starting around two weeks would make sense, considering the disease has spread far enough to render the populace of Falkreath into a panic, including Silann.

And Fort Snowhawk is the safehouse? Isn't that the fort within a stone's throw of Morthal?

rizen

A to the K homeboy
    Good point, something that close to 'ground zero' doesn't feel right at all...it would be too difficult for the party to get there unharmed...and perhaps a little too close to a climactic part of the story. We still need to decide on a safehouse...but in the meantime...I guess we should decide on a city as a quarantined zone, supposedly fenced off from the virus. I'm thinking Whiterun, your thoughts?

Delusional

That's a tough one, since Markarth, Whiterun, Solitude and Windhelm are all fortresses, and could easily be fenced off and defended. I personally am torn between Markarth and Solitude. Markarth seems like the most defensible and safe location because it is nestled in the middle of mountains, with one entrance, unless these infected can mountain climb.

However, Solitude seems like a good place too. It would make sense that it would be the priority, considering it is the posh city in Skyrim, and the rich are protected first. Also, it's on a freaking arch, suspended over water.

Whiterun seems good too, because it isn't too defensible, meaning it could be overrun somewhere along in the story, throwing everything into more chaos.

I say Solitude is put under lockdown, so that the rich are protected, and the High King and all the powerful people are safe within their walls, but Whiterun is the commoner quarantined zone.

I don't really know what a good safehouse would be. Fort Sungard, maybe? Seems logical, since it is pretty centralized, and it nestled on the top of a bluff - pretty safe location. Or it seems...

rizen

A to the K homeboy
    Ok...Every city will eventually take defensive measures against the virus, with varying success and failure. The virus could quite easily penetrate city gates in early stages as the threat is unknown and random carriers could be transported there before they have turned...such as loved ones bringing them in for medical care.
    For sake of plot, Solitude is locked down for the elite and Whiterun is the commoner's sanctuary (if this is needed to get your character moving in that general direction), and Fort Sungard as the safehouse where all our characters will meet before the story continues. Characters can meet on the road, in a city, town or wherever along the way, but most importantly they have to end up at Sungard before moving on. This can be our first checkpoint :D

Delusional

Posted. It's a little long. It might take a few posts for Silann to reach Fort Sungard. :D

rizen

A to the K homeboy
    Great post! I don't think it was a long post at all...if anything, I wanted to read more!

Delusional

Haha okay, thanks!

rizen

A to the K homeboy
    no problem Del...seriously, you have a knack for writing, good pace to your rhythym.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts