Re-rolling a sword and board warrior... What's it like?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Su8tle

The Shadow of Elsweyr
Well my lv. 51 Rogue has 900/1000 GS for skyrim and is so overpowered its laughable. Once I get all 1000 (just a few more hours of play), I might retire him and re-roll a new character in time for Dawnguard. I realized after some thought, I've never ever gone with a straight up and down sword/shield warrior in skyrim or oblivion! Was thinking of re-rolling a Nord warrior Hero complete with ancient Nord armour and Nord hero weapons, red hair and beard and blue brave heart face paint just for utter cheesy cliche-ness.

What's a sword/board warrior like? Any tips? I think I'll be going the werewolf route with him for the expansion.

I got spellbreaker in a Daedric quest. I don't use shields but I did play with it and seemed decent. Should I aim to get that ASAP?

nordicowboy

Must be my Nord blood......
S&b can be fun with the difficulty turned up. I found it easy to overpower enemies with just a Skyforge Steel sword and Spellbreaker when I was at lvl 35. You could always try using a race that has no perks in 1H, block, and heavy armor. Or maybe limit yourself to a specific armor and weapon set (low-mid lvl stuff).

sahqonsah

That is my current character now, level 48 sword and shield warrior and I'm finding it very entertaining to play. My skills are: smithing, one handed, block, heavy armour and archery. But I realised maxing all thes skills brings you to level 45 so I've recently started practising alchemy and enchanting, I've used nothing but steel armour and a Nord hero sword, my sword currently does 105 damage without enchanting or any exploits. I highly recommend this playstyle. Oh and I'm also a werewolf. Can't wait for dawngaurd, I gave my character silver eyes just like farkas for that wolf like look.

Jaeger

With veggie soup, you can spam blocks with the shield.

Should get the Targ shield. Spell breaker is too fancy and fit for girly men and elves. Targ is plain up mean.

This character build was recently posted here.

Character Build: The Revenant - The Skyrim Blog

I'm going vampire route and the Nord helmet of the Unburned (something like that) in Labyrinthia will work good for a vamp fire weakness.

butcherpete2277

Suthay-raht
You better keep some resist magic/frost/fire/shock potions on you because mages will be your worst nightmare... Also as soon as you can, get the perk that slows time if you're blocking during an enemy's power attack, it doesn't sound too great, but it is extremely useful. The perk to take 50% magic damage when blocking is also a must. On top of that, I usually use the lord stone (+50 armor rating; +25% magic resist) after I feel I've leveled up enough with the warrior stone. The shield you use doesn't actually matter as much as you might think, the armor rating only seems to make a difference when you aren't blocking, as long as you take the perks that let you block more with your shield you'll be fine, it's all preference (I used a hide shield up until level 30ish and had no problem at all, didn't even notice a difference when I upgraded to a Blades' shield). Oh, and the power bash perks are a complete waste, don't even consider taking them.

nordicowboy

Must be my Nord blood......
That's why Nords are great for pure melee plays. Since stamina is such a large part of the style, that frost resistance can be a life saver. With everyone else, I recommend getting the Helm of Yngol asap.

Jaeger

^^

Just started on him, a nord. Had to take off my armor so I could keep up with the ghost (he's wearing ancient armor) and put on the magicka regen robe from Helgen keep. When I ran out of magic, hit him with my sword. Save before you get to the ruin though, it's a bitch and if he makes it to where he's going, you can't get the armor; Kill him in transit.

Su8tle

The Shadow of Elsweyr
I'll be using the tips from that Revanent build to get a set of full Ancient Nord armour early in the game. Lv. 6 already after last night. Might complete the Companions questline and main story until I unlock the full unrelenting force shout. Then just wait for Dawnguard. I'll be join the stormcloaks this time and destroying the dark brotherhood. No thieves guild or college of winterhold this time either. Going for a Nord Hero this time around. Full ancient Nord armour, Nord hero weapons...

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts