Rant: Archery As A Combat Skill - I Can't Keep Quiet On This Anymore

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
Oh, sorry. I'm just trying to offer an alternate look at the topic.
No reason to apologize, just making conversation. My point still stands that it doesn't affect gameplay at all. Unless, that is, you're bent on rigidly sticking to the Stealth Style, which pretty much means avoiding all combat, because you can't attack. You can still get a big burly Follower to do all the fighting for you, while you do all the looting...

Spiral Power!

Abenddrachen
Well woudn't a true thief character not plan to attack stuff at all...kinda like how the Thieves' Guild says killing is a no-no?

Squirrel_killer-

The blade in the dark and the hand at your throat
Oh, sorry. I'm just trying to offer an alternate look at the topic.

And my original point still stands; it doesn't really contribute to sneaking. It may allow you to benefit from sneaking by using ranged attacks while remaining unseen, but the part where you are sneaking around and remaining out of sight is not affected by what weapon you have equipped, nor with what weapon you choose to attack with.

It's entirely separate from the actual stealth part, although you can combine it with stealth to enhance your attack strategy, using archery by itself doesn't constitute stealth.
Attack with any melee weapon, besides a dagger (which have been given massive stealth potential in Skyrim do to the Assassin's Blade Perk), while sneaking and you will make enough noise to alert everyone you are there. A bow does not do this until the arrow hits an object. However, my original point on it being a stealth skill was that it is the primary attacking means of a stealth play style. By your logic Destruction should be a combat skill instead of a magic skill as it is used to attack and many people use it separate from other magic skills. However most people would argue it's a magic skill since it is the best way for a mage to deal damage. Archery is the best means of attack for a stealth player, as much as Destruction is for a mage, or some melee weapon is for a warrior. Each of the 3 trees were balanced by having the ideal type of attack skill given to them and the ideal form of defense chosen by what would complement and be complimented by their respective utility skills.

As for not contributing to stealth then I believe you have never played a pure stealth character using Archery as your means to attack. Archery's contribution to stealth is it allows you to easily maintain your hiding place and still attack as well as it makes an excellent means to dispense poisons. It greatly complements stealth. Once you stack on the hours by playing a stealth character Archery's value as a stealth skill becomes apparent.

I do however fully agree that Archery can be used effectively without any stealth involved. Just as any school of magic can be useful by a mostly combat or stealth character, or that a sword can be a good weapon for a mage or thief in a pinch. The beauty of TES is no skill has to be used with its exclusively with other skills respective specialization, but will compliment skills of its specialization better than that of another. And Archery compliments stealth more then it does the combat skills.

As a heavy stealth player I will tell you that without my bow it would be nearly impossible to remain completely undetected when clearing 90% of the dungeons in the game.

I implore you, if you have not already done so, play a character who's major skills are Sneak, Archery, and Light Armor and who's minor skills are Alchemy, Lockpicking, and Pickpocketing. Play this character until roughly level 35-40 while avoiding all other skills and not grinding Alchemy, Enchanting, or Smithing. And then please tell me if you believe Archery compliments the other Stealth skills better than those of the Combat tree or not.

I however respect your opinion, but would like you to truly see my side of this in practice first hand. I have played warriors who use Archery for range and I fully agree it is an effective means of combat for them, but it does not compliment that set of skills nor is it complimented by them in my opinion. However all other skills in the Combat tree greatly compliment each other.

Spiral Power!

Abenddrachen
I guess my overall point is that bows are not exclusive solely to stealth builds.

Your argument about destruction magic is a good one, however I think that destruction is just a way that the devs coined attack magic, and thus even if it is for combat, it's magic as well, putting it in a different category then magicless combat.

ShadowGambit

In my opinion, Beth should have done this:

- Put Marskman in the Shadow Path, like in Oblivion.
- Mix Lockpicking and Pickpocket under 1 skill, like Sleight of hands, with 2 different tree branches, one side for lockpicking, one side for Pickpocket
- Put Unarmed Combat in the Warrior Path, with also 2 branches: one for damage improvement, one for defense/armor improvement

That would have been more appropriate and still have the balance of 6 skills in each path.

I get that pet peeve so hard. However, if archery leveled as fast as it does sneak and other stealth skills, you would wind up with a MUCH higher archery skill the before. You would be able to one shot strong enemies at least 10 levels earlier. Maybe bethesda wanted to avoid this?

I think that destruction is just a way that the devs coined attack magic, and thus even if it is for combat, it's magic as well, putting it in a different category then magicless combat.
That's another headscratcher for me, as there isn't a whole heck of a lot you can actually destry with magic. I seem to remeber a total of 6 beehives you can burn (But you're supposed to leave half of them untouched) and that's about it.

It's Elemental magic, there's lots of things they could have called it, but Destruction is tradition at this point. But it's Magic, so obviously, mages get it. Archery can (and arguably does) go either way. it's a weapon skill, but under the thief stone, and as useful for stealth kills as stand-up fights. A warrior is generally concidered to be the guy in the thick of the fray, up to his cockles in gore (Maybe somewhere in the sub cockle region) while an Archer is classically outside the melee, running around, and shooting in. This evasive style matches thematically beter with the thief archetype than the big powerful Warrior.

So, it's conflicted. I accepted it long ago, and focus on new better mind twisters. For me, the DLC couldn't have come at a better time. I was just about to start getting bored...

ShadowGambit

I get that pet peeve so hard. However, if archery leveled as fast as it does sneak and other stealth skills, you would wind up with a MUCH higher archery skill the before. You would be able to one shot strong enemies at least 10 levels earlier. Maybe bethesda wanted to avoid this?

Well, in the Path of Shadow, Alchemy, lockpicking and speech don't level very fast in my point of view. So to make Archery leveling as the same speed as One handed or Two Handed is just a matter of coding, not much of a matter of the path you choose.

- Put Marskman in the Shadow Path, like in Oblivion.
OohH! {Headslap} I get it. I guess if you wanted to bookshelf train just stealth, you'd still have to go out, and actually train an offensive skill, huh? Good thing I don't use that damned thing, or I might run into the same problem. Big deal!

ShadowGambit

OohH! {Headslap} I get it. I guess if you wanted to bookshelf train just stealth, you'd still have to go out, and actually train an offensive skill, huh? Good thing I don't use that damned thing, or I might run into the same problem. Big deal!

That was the main rant from Squirrel_killer at the start of this post, as I see it.

The Shadow Path doesn't have a mean of attack, when in Oblivion, each "path" had a mean of attack, a mean of defense and some utilities.

So you could only choose 1 path and still be fine with it. Here, if you choose to focus ONLY in the Shadow Path, then you have no real mean for attack.

Focusing ONLY on the Warrior path is valid. Focusing only on the Magic path is also valid. But not choosing the Shadow Path alone.

That was the main rant from Squirrel_killer at the start of this post, as I see it.

The Shadow Path doesn't have a mean of attack, when in Oblivion, each "path" had a mean of attack, a mean of defense and some utilities.

So you could only choose 1 path and still be fine with it. Here, if you choose to focus ONLY in the Shadow Path, then you have no real mean for attack.
Not so, I tried everthing, and that includes the OI. The Mage Path is perfectly viable, and the only one with a race exclusively dedicated to it. I took an Altmer, balanced her skills all the way to Septimus, and used his bookshelf to reach 100 with 35 free skill leves from the Race menu. Yup, sure enough it turned out to be boringly OP. It only sucks for assassins. I'm just underwhelmed that this whole thing is motivated by Bethesda not making it 100% ultra simple to cheat the game.

VonCrown

Not so, I tried everthing, and that includes the OI. The Mage Path is perfectly viable, and the only one with a race exclusively dedicated to it. I took an Altmer, balanced her skills all the way to Septimus, and used his bookshelf to reach 100 with 35 free skill leves from the Race menu. Yup, sure enough it turned out to be boringly OP. It only sucks for assassins. I'm just underwhelmed that this whole thing is motivated by Bethesda not making it 100% ultra simple to cheat the game.
Well, actually, it's more a legit complaint if someone was -not- using the bookshelf silliness, since if they are, it's completely trivial to just do other skills too. On the other hand, if you're only using it once like you're supposed to, and a stealth character, you get no damage skill boost. Especially with how the thief stone, as noted, does boost archery gains, apparently.

I wish we had a legit hand to hand skill as well, too.

Squirrel_killer-

I had total forgot about that damn book to which you are referring to... It took me like 3 minutes to figure this out... I only used the book once with glitch. And that was to round of level 97 lockpicking, 96 sneak, 99 light armor in one go while keeping the book for display, and swore not to ever use it a second time. I'm a sucker for collecting objects. I actually have the book laying on display. My friends think I'm crazy when they come over and see it unused and me without level 81. I don't even feel tempted by the book to go to level 81. And I see the thing every time I enter Honeyside. The issue really comes down to the skill classification for me. I like tidy balanced systems.

That's awesome. After I found out what was in there, I just stopped taking the box back to him (and thereby saved his wrecthed mad life.) It really rather out of the way, and the trinket doesn't weigh anthing, so i say just leave it locked up. It's awesome that you just leave it on display, rather than use it. I consider it the most evil artifact in the game.

Squirrel_killer-

That's awesome. After I found out what was in there, I just stopped taking the box back to him (and thereby saved his wrecthed mad life.) It really rather out of the way, and the trinket doesn't weigh anthing, so i say just leave it locked up. It's awesome that you just leave it on display, rather than use it. I consider it the most evil artifact in the game.
The most evil thing about it is how it can be abused via the glitch. From a Lore or RP point of view it is actually, in my opinion, the single most neutral artifact. It isn't inherently good or evil, was written by the scribe of Auri-El, Xarxex, the knowledge was used by Mehrunes Dagon to write the Mysterium Xarxes, but the actually book itself is not good nor evil by nature. Other artifacts are inherently good or evil, Ebony Blade gains power from betrayal while Dawnbreaker is meant to slay undead, where as the Oghma Infinium contains nothing but knowledge which can be used for either good or evil depending on what the reader chooses. The book is fitting for a being like Hermaeus Mora.

The most evil thing about it is how it can be abused via the glitch. From a Lore or RP point of view it is actually, in my opinion, the single most neutral artifact. It isn't inherently good or evil, was written by the scribe of Auri-El, Xarxex, the knowledge was used by Mehrunes Dagon to write the Mysterium Xarxes, but the actually book itself is not good nor evil by nature. Other artifacts are inherently good or evil, Ebony Blade gains power from betrayal while Dawnbreaker is meant to slay undead, where as the Oghma Infinium contains nothing but knowledge which can be used for either good or evil depending on what the reader chooses. The book is fitting for a being like Hermaeus Mora.
It's knowlege, pure raw information, and experience. It's deceptively evil, not like ZOMFG with spikes, and blood dripping from it, but more subtle than that. In essence, knowlege is Power, and of the two types that seek it, the Scholars who do so for it's own sake, like Septimus Signis, or Ulrag are fairly powerless against the Warlords, who want a fast track to 80 perks, daedric armor of invulnerability, and godslayer sword.

It's like The Ring, (you know the One) it doesn't look That bad, in fact it kind of pretty, but that's the deception. A lot of people think it's just a ring of Invisibility, because the little people who used it really wanted to not be seen. (And it backfired horribly) Instead, it was the one to rule it all, the Kings that became the Nazgul to take over the world, and rule by right of Magic. That's why Hobbits are the designated bearers, they're so powerless, it can corrupt them (like a Riverfolk named Smeagle) but not make them a threat. Anyone else would become essentially an 11th Nazgul (Boromir) Psychopathic Berserker (Legolas, Gimly) or corrupted black wizard, (Sarumon, Galadriel, or even Gandalf, who would likely be worse than Sauron himslef.) But the Hobbits have friends, the fellowship to protect, and guide them.

The Dovakiin already has unstoppable power to beat down the World Eater. Give him Infinite knowlege, and I guess he could be benevolent, but just look at all the level 81 builds, including ones with names like "Utopia." And besides, you really think this:
solution_hermaeusmora_2.jpg

Wants to just give it to you, no strings attached, out of the goodness of it's heart? (Assuming it has one, instead of a squeedily spooch.) Yeah, he really looks trustworthy. Ever wonder why it doesn't shew up face to, uh, whatever?

Squirrel_killer-

It's knowlege, pure raw information, and experience. It's deceptively evil, not like ZOMFG with spikes, and blood dripping from it, but more subtle than that. In essence, knowlege is Power, and of the two types that seek it, the Scholars who do so for it's own sake, like Septimus Signis, or Ulrag are fairly powerless against the Warlords, who want a fast track to 80 perks, daedric armor of invulnerability, and godslayer sword.

It's like The Ring, (you know the One) it doesn't look That bad, in fact it kind of pretty, but that's the deception. A lot of people think it's just a ring of Invisibility, because the little people who used it really wanted to not be seen. (And it backfired horribly) Instead, it was the one to rule it all, the Kings that became the Nazgul to take over the world, and rule by right of Magic. That's why Hobbits are the designated bearers, they're so powerless, it can corrupt them (like a Riverfolk named Smeagle) but not make them a threat. Anyone else would become essentially an 11th Nazgul (Boromir) Psychopathic Berserker (Legolas, Gimly) or corrupted black wizard, (Sarumon, Galadriel, or even Gandalf, who would likely be worse than Sauron himslef.) But the hobbits have friends, the fellowship to protect, and guide them.

The Dovakiin already has unstoppable power to beat down the World Eater. Give him Infinite knowlege, and I guess he could be benevolent, but just look at all the level 81 builds, including ones with names like "Utopia." And besides, you really think this:
solution_hermaeusmora_2.jpg

Wants to just give it to you, no strings attached, out of the goodness of it's heart? (Assuming it has one, instead of a squeedily spooch.) Yeah, he really looks trustworthy. Ever wonder why it doesn't appear to you face to, uh, whatever?
I found him to be more curiosity driven then malevolent. He wants to see what happens when he tosses he screwball into things, he drives you towards learning and the gathering of knowledge, both for his sake and yours, so that he can learn. In Oblivion he had me collect some souls so his followers could learn, gladly I helped him purely because I believe personally in the hoarding of knowledge.

Oh and I prefer this picture of him personally.
Hermaeus_Mora.gif

I found him to be more curiosity driven then malevolent. He wants to see what happens when he tosses he screwball into things, he drives you towards learning and the gathering of knowledge, both for his sake and yours, so that he can learn. In Oblivion he had me collect some souls so his followers could learn, gladly I helped him purely because I believe personally in the hoarding of knowledge.

Oh and I prefer this picture of him personally.
Hermaeus_Mora.gif
Nice, but I'm not sure "he" is the proper term. That's the deceptive thing about Evil, the worst doesn't Look evil, the better to lure you in. That guy in the Black Metal Spikes warns you ahead of time so you can run away. To me, the greatest evil is Corruption, because it breeds. And most of the time, it appears as good, or neutral, so the corruptees don't even know they're being turned to the Dark Side. If only the serial killers, child molestors, and megalomaniacal tyrants all looked like Sith Lords, it would make Evil so much easier to avoid. But IRL, it's the evil that looks good you have to watch out for. For the first few years, Hitler was the best thing that ever happened to Germany. Then, it kind of went downhill.

Nice, but I'm not sure "he" is the proper term. That's the deceptive thing about Evil, the worst doesn't Look evil, the better to lure you in. That guy in the Black Metal Spikes warns you ahead of time so you can run away. To me, the greatest evil is Corruption, because it breeds. And most of the time, it appears as good, or neutral, so the corruptees don't even know they're being turned to the Dark Side. If only the serial killers, child molestors, and megalomaniacal tyrants all looked like Sith Lords, it would make Evil so much easier to avoid. But IRL, it's the evil that looks good you have to watch out for. For the first few years, Hitler was the best thing that ever happened to Germany. Then, it kind of went downhill.

I see HM as more like a Pusher, only it's drug is Knowlege. If you go to the wrong inner city neighborhood, they don't kidnap you, hold a gun to your head, and shoot you up with toxins in a dose calculated to be addictive, but sub-lethal. No, they greet you with a smiles on their faces, and try to be your "friends". That's how they get you in their pockets. Yeah, it wants you to think of it as "He", like some guy with similar values, and motivations. Someone that breeds by finding a mate, and making love. Not some infernal thing that breeds by corruption, luring the good, and undecided to Turn them into tools of a Daedric Lord. That's more insidious than Mehrunes Dagon, who at least has the honesty to shew up with Dremora, and threaten you into playing along. Or Molag Bal, who doesn't give you a choice not to betray the priests, kill them, and resurrect them to kill them again until they Submit.

Not, it smiles, and dangles a carrot in front of you so that's all you see, instead of the gate to Oblivion looming ahead. That way, you don't ride to hell cradled in a hand basket, but bomb down the slippery slope on a tobbagan.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts