Questions about the Dawnguard expansion

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Sarcron

Hi I have a few questions before I get the Dawnguard expansion that hopefully some of you can answer:

1. I've heard it's possible to join the Dawnguard faction and become a vampire lord later on the same character if you so wish, without having to fight on the vampire side. Is this true, and if so, are there any downsides to skipping the vampire faction aside from a difference in plot line?

2. I know there are new dragon shouts, but can you get them regardless of which faction you choose or are they faction specific? Same question regarding the new horse that you summon.

3. Is it possible for vampire overlords to use all the new crossbows?

4. Can you get into either factions stronghold again even if you choose the other side?

Any help appreciated. I'm on the 360 so I won't have access to console commands.

Nuitari

Dark Luna God of Magic
1. t is possible to get Serana to turn you into a vampire lord without actually joining the vampires however you will not have access to certain quests that give you various powerups like some amulets and rings.
2. There are two new dragon shouts and you can get both regardless of which side you're on.
3. If you join the vampires you can use any crossbow that you pick up. However this will only include the very first form of the crossbow, to have access to the other three you will have to join the Dawnguard.
By the end of the main questline there will be no one objecting to you using either stronghold but the one that doesn't belong to your faction will remain in the same state it was in the beginning.
Also if you do join the Dawnguard and become a vampire lord all members of the Dawnguard will tell you to go to Falion in Morthall to get cured.

Toralf Snow-Song

Level ?? (Elite) Humanoid
Yes, in regards to the second part of 2, you can get Arvak, the undead horse, no matter what faction, vampire or not.

Sarcron

Thanks for all the information. I'm guessing if you get cured by Falion in Morthal, you can get visit Serana again to become a vampire overlord?

Toralf Snow-Song

Level ?? (Elite) Humanoid
Pretty sure you'd be able to, (Unless, as in Oblivion, once you're cured, you cant go back, but I'm not positive, haven't tried it.) can also revert to werewolf via Aela. (Helps with getting both Vampire Lord and Werewolf perk achievements on one character)

Also FYI, Vampire Lords cannot change their appearance via the face changer (Comes with Dawnguard DLC) in the Ragged Flagon as she does not operate on undead for personal reasons.

Sarcron

Alright, thanks! I guess I'll stick to the Dawnguard on my main character and vampire on my secondary, so if I like the overlord I can swap at any time.