Question about Enchanting...

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Qpappa31

When I was around a lvl 10 I started disenchanting weapons and armor that I didn't want to use and enchanting the items that I was using. Now I am a level 35 and I am finding items that have a much higher enchantment on them (ex: I applied 12 burn damage to one of my swords but now have found a weapon that burns for 25 damage). I tried to disenchant that item b/c I wanted to apply more burn on my weapons but it wouldn't let me disenchant the item stating that I already knew this enchantment. Well... My enchantment that I know is much weaker and I want a stronger one. Is there no way I can unlearn an enchantment so that I can get the stronger one. And I used a grand soul gem the first time I enchanted my sword and the max I could get was 12 burn damage. Or is 12 burn damage the most I can apply no matter what lvl item I disenchant?

I might not understand how this works or I missing something... Can someone explain please?

Gandalf The Boss

Pupil of Nienna. Defender of Middle Earth
The thing that you are missing is the fact that the amount of magic you can put into an item depends on your level of skill. The magic is magic and doesn't come in different amounts :). Keep practicing your Enchanting Skill and you will be able do apply more damage in no-time.

Gandalf The Boss

Auxilium

In my opinion..
Also, a big thing to consider is the better the gem, the better the effect on the weapon itself is stronger as well.

Example: I have an enchant available to me to put 20 points of stamina on a piece of gear. 20 points is the max amount unless you have perks to make enchantments stronger.

If I were to use a petty gem it would only add 2 points of stamina to my armor, but if I use a Grand Gem it will put all 20 points of stamina.

So the strength of gems is very important as well.

Qpappa31

haha, thanks. i feel pretty dumb now not thinking about that.
I just kept getting upset seeing all these items with higher % of damage.

Smacka

Sleepless in Pennsylvania
Enchant using a grand soul gem for the strongest weapon you can get at that point in time. Then, keep working on your smithing and obtain "Arcane Smithing", so you can upgrade enchanted items and you will be amazed how strong your weapons get ;)

Aux and I are saying pretty much the same thing. I should have read that reply first :D:D:D

kichigai_m

The whole enchanting thing was quite confusing for me the first time around.... but now I love it. I was able to enchant an upgraded ebony bow with soul trapping.

So every pew-pew- sneak crit, instant soul trap. :D

Titanburner

Premium Member
When I was around a lvl 10 I started disenchanting weapons and armor that I didn't want to use and enchanting the items that I was using. Now I am a level 35 and I am finding items that have a much higher enchantment on them (ex: I applied 12 burn damage to one of my swords but now have found a weapon that burns for 25 damage). I tried to disenchant that item b/c I wanted to apply more burn on my weapons but it wouldn't let me disenchant the item stating that I already knew this enchantment. Well... My enchantment that I know is much weaker and I want a stronger one. Is there no way I can unlearn an enchantment so that I can get the stronger one. And I used a grand soul gem the first time I enchanted my sword and the max I could get was 12 burn damage. Or is 12 burn damage the most I can apply no matter what lvl item I disenchant?

I might not understand how this works or I missing something... Can someone explain please?
A hint to is if you haven't visited the Shrine of Azura to start that quest it would definitely help you to go through it and get the Black Star at the end :) Reusable Black Soul Gem (Traps Human souls and all Human souls = Grand soul). Doesn't get any better than that.

Gandalf The Boss

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts