Quest related items weighing me down

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

nordic_yanezy

I have several items that are quest related, the problem is that the related quest is over but I cannot get rid of the items. Every time I try, it tells me that the item cannot be removed from my inventory. Some of the items are not even part of any quests that are available, nor any quest that I have completed. I have a giants toe that is required for a quest, problem is, I have no related quest to use it for. Same thing with bottles of alto wine. I also have about 4 heads of some witches that I was supposed to gather for a quest (I only needed one, but I like to go all out). I finished the quest and cannot get rid of the heads now. How can I get rid of these items? I play on the 360.

Stone

Retired Moderator
I have several items that are quest related, the problem is that the related quest is over but I cannot get rid of the items. Every time I try, it tells me that the item cannot be removed from my inventory. Some of the items are not even part of any quests that are available, nor any quest that I have completed. I have a giants toe that is required for a quest, problem is, I have no related quest to use it for. Same thing with bottles of alto wine. I also have about 4 heads of some witches that I was supposed to gather for a quest (I only needed one, but I like to go all out). I finished the quest and cannot get rid of the heads now. How can I get rid of these items? I play on the 360.
I'm pretty sure there really isn't a way to get rid of them. The only thing you could really do to start combatting the weight is to either get the (pickpocket?) perk where it increases your inventory capacity by 100. Or, if you don't want to spend ages training pickpocket, try placing points into stamina. I think it increases your capacity by 5 every time. :)

Luft

You just need to find the quest related to the item in question. It's possible to pickpocket or steal, even find a quest item, prior to actually starting the quest. Give it some time to discover the quest yourself, or just google it. I'm sure you can find the quest your looking for.

*Slight spoiler below*

For example, the elder scroll you need for the main story later on. After the final quest is complete, you'll still have the item in your inventory and can't do anything with it. However, if you take the scroll to the Orc in Winterhold, in the "Arcadium" (I think that's the name, place with all the books) you can sell it to him for 2000 gold. 20 pounds lighter.

(Especially since the scroll itself has a weight of 20, couldn't wait to get rid of that thing.)

Luft

As far as the witch heads go, there may be another related quest. There's always the possibillity of this being a glitch also. Matter of fact, I still have the witches heads in my inventory as well. I'll have to look into it.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
***SPOILER***

Some of the companions ask you to get rid of their "curse" and you need a witch's head for each one. Plus one for yourself, though I hear that part may be buggy. You have to do a few of their mundane quests before they ask you to help them "with a personal matter".

I was having the same problem with the Alto wine and Giants toes, I couldn't use the toes for ingrediants, and I couldn't drink the wine. I just finished the drinking contest quest and I was finally able to drop them. I can't remember, but I'm thinking that maybe those are the things he asks you to get to fix the staff. Any thoughts?

Kaymindless

The drinking contest quest is for the toe and wine. Finish that one and you'll be able to use/store those. I remember getting aggravated every time I accidentally picked one up.

Doomy

Try dropping all of your other kit and see how much it says you are carrying. Many if not all quest items don't count towards your limit

SawJack

Level 54 Nerd
I have the same problem with Briar's hearts. I completed the quest for repairing the white phial that seemed to trigger me being unable to drop the Briar hearts but I still can't drop them. It is very frustrating. Is there another quest that I haven't come across that could be causing me to still need these as quest items?

For the witches heads, I completed the first quest for getting those and the rest I was able to store in one of my houses. I haven't yet gotten the dialogue option for using the severed heads to cure other companion members though. How many side quests do you have to do for that and do you have to do a bunch for each person to get it or does it not matter who gives you the companion side quests?

The items I've been stuck carrying around I'm most confused about though are the remains of some dead people I randomly found. I think they were former students at the mage's college based on some conversation I had much later after I found the remains, but if there is a quest that is supposed to get triggered to find what happened to them that never happened. Now I have random bones and bloody skulls stuck in my Misc inventory.

Andante

Roleplaying Moderator
As far as I know, like someone mentioned above, most if not all quest items don't count toward your carry weight. I know after doing the Bard's College questline, I was stuck with 3 instruments in my inventory I couldn't drop, but they don't count toward my carry weight so I'm not too concerned with them. I can't be certain if you have to finish the quest before that happens or not. In my experience, if the quest you needed the item for is over, and it still cannot be removed from your inventory, it's not counting toward your carry weight. Have you done any testing to see if they're still contributing weight or not?

*Companions Questline Spoilers Beyond this Point*

SawJack, the only Companions that will offer this quest, called "Purity", are Farkas and Vilkas. They won't be available to you until after you finish the "Glory of the Dead" quest effectively ending the Companions questline. After this, doing a few radiant quests for either Vilkas or Farkas will, at some point, get them to ask you to help them with a personal matter, which is curing themselves of Lycanthropy. It helps to trigger this quest if you have a Witch's head in your inventory. If you followed the Companions storyline closely, you'll remember Farkas and Vilkas were the only other members of the Circle who shared Kodlak's view of their Beast Blood, and considered being cured. Aela doesn't wish to be cured, and won't offer you this quest option.

SawJack

Level 54 Nerd
@Andate - thanks for the assist on the companions stuff. I've been doing some sidequest stuff for Vilkas and Farkas but I'm not sure that I saw that dialogue pop up. I'll do a few more and see if it does. I have this odd feeling that I saw it pop up a long time ago and just tabbed out of the conversation because I wasn't paying too close attention and couldn't get it to come back up. Hmm..hopefully that odd feeling isn't correct.

Andante

Roleplaying Moderator
@Andate - thanks for the assist on the companions stuff. I've been doing some sidequest stuff for Vilkas and Farkas but I'm not sure that I saw that dialogue pop up. I'll do a few more and see if it does. I have this odd feeling that I saw it pop up a long time ago and just tabbed out of the conversation because I wasn't paying too close attention and couldn't get it to come back up. Hmm..hopefully that odd feeling isn't correct.

You'll know if they're about to offer you the quest, because they will begin speaking differently than usual. They'll begin by mentioning that "they've been thinking" or that "something has been bothering them". It's a noticeable difference, I'm sure you won't miss. ;)

Don't forget to have a witch head on you, it helps to get the ball rolling.

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
The Alto Wine I had stuck on me was related to the "A Night to Remember" quest. I picked up the Alto Wine in the Markarth Temple of Dibella as I was trying to clean it up. For some reason, I couldn't find all of the items that I was required to clean up, so I ended up just paying her I think. The Alto Wine remained in my inventory and was marked as an undroppable quest item even after completing the quest.

I was able to pass the Alto Wine to one of the many drunks around the Hold Cities, that's how I got rid of the two bottles I was carrying.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts