• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Is it possible to program a human being into their world view?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
As far as terminology goes, psychoanalysis is the term used by Sigmund Freud to describe the reasoning (analysis) for mental states (psycho). However I can see why you would think this would refer to the explanation of someones mental illness. For obvious reasons such mental programming will and can cause forms of mental illness, perhaps not even recognizable to the individual.

A world view is much different than little mundain procedures such as how to get a girls clothes off. A world view is how you view the rest of the world, and through what filter or "program" you decide to view it upon. If I am a Muslim I view Christians a certain way and vise-versa. Media controls most peoples perspective on other cultures. Not one of us can be classified as Self-Conscious, everything you have learned or heard is programmed, once the indoctrination is complete, those beliefs begin to manipulate the way you used to view it.

Thanks for the response, but I am looking for "world views". If you want to get into consumption, profit, and sustainability yes america is your number one target. But how did you configure such ideologies, are they your own well developed thoughts and or personal experience? Or are you receiving some sort of programming also. Whenever the software(information) can be recognized by the hardware(you) as being reliable, we should then break free from the program and use one thing that makes us unique, our conscious, and our ability to critical think.
While we're getting semantic, I think you might have missed my point about Psychoanalysis, and read too much into my examples. Psychanalysis doesn't do anything, it's a diagnostic to help you decide what to do. As a psychiatrist, single guy looking for some strange, introspective/Self Actualizing individual, or supervillain bent on using Mind Control for global domination, all Psychoanalysis does is the recon, reveal the worldview you're trying to change (Even if it's just "You're unattractive and I don't want to sleep with you.") and possibly how you could go about that.

Freud is pretty universally accepted to be a personality defficient delusional Narcissist without a baseline. That was most of his problem, 1) nobody had done this before, so he had to make it up from scratch, 2) Abnormal patients to study without any "Normal" examples to establish a baseline, and 3) the assumption that He was normal himself, and therefore everyone had the same symbolic set, and hangups. This has little to do with the definition of Psychoanalysis, other than the dude what coined the term, but the way I see it, you cannot describe a Normal human Psyche (Which is itself a largely hypothetical ideal) by asking a madman what he learned from other madmen experimenting with cocaine, opiates, crude psychoactives, and dream interpretation. And no, not everyone goes through the infantile erotic stages he described to end up with an Oedipal/Antigone complex, phallic fetishism, and Castration Angsiety/Penis Envy. In short, we're not all like Sigmund Freud, and he was not even remotely sane.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
This is easily the most borinig thread I've ever been on. Why then do I keep reading it? It's fun to see people bandy barely understood concepts back and forth until they talk themselves in to a corner and can't escape.

Nephilim

Cool, its great your educated in psychology. The idea of the thread was not to invoke such arguments. Its silly and a waste of my time. Your indoctrination into your held terminology, beliefs or whatever about psychology, is sadly enough programmed. Its a trick question, if you were self-conscious there would be no need for learning. Thanks for provoking new thoughts and questions I had about it though. Still we all require some sort of programming, If we did not it would be conceivable at birth.

Whisper34

I believe we are all being programmed into our world views from birth by our parents and society in general so I absolutely think its possible. Helsinki syndrome is an example of programming of views in my opinion.

Cool, its great your educated in psychology. The idea of the thread was not to invoke such arguments. Its silly and a waste of my time. Your indoctrination into your held terminology, beliefs or whatever about psychology, is sadly enough programmed. Its a trick question, if you were self-conscious there would be no need for learning. Still we all require some sort of programming, If we did not it would be conceivable at birth.
I'm Experienced in Psychology, because of being a Schizotypal Fundimentalist Agnostic, and Progressive Anarchist, I've also done a lot of research, mostly in Normal Psychology to try, and find a Baseline. (Somebody has to do it, allready.) Within the psycho-social morays that shape it, of course, I can only really talk about American ones (I've also lived in over 25 states.) Thing is, I know I'm nuckin futz, and Social Alienation is right up there with Magical Ideation in my Personality. In High School I originally got into it to figure out what was wrong with me, then try to understand all these weird people surrounding me.

Sorry about casting Wall o Text, but you wanted to talk about Psychoanalysis, so that's what I did, and it's a complex subject for everyone. I mostly got off on that Schaden Freud tangent to differentiate between Freudian Psychoanalysis, and modern accurate Psychoanalysis (Or as accurate as we can get.) The major differences being 1) Get to know the person before you crack the skull, and dig elbow deep into their subconscious, 2) Everyone has their own symbolic set, so abandon the standardized one codified by a guy who can look at a pink heart, and talk about a lack of foreskin, and 3) never Assume you've gotten to the bottom level.

Self Consciousness is vital for Learning. If you don't know who you are on any level, than data are useless for having no way to apply them to yourself. The more self conscious you are, (and once you satisfy your baser needs) the better you can Self Actualize through teaching yourself. That's Self Programming, not depending on the world and society to do it for you. Of course, I'm a living example of someone who never got the signal completely, so had to make do with noise, and figure it out for myself.

Nighthiker77

Possible absolutely, but for worldview scale, probability is what matters. We get an infinite stream of information and decide what is significant or memorable and what to believe to break it down to a manageable volume. I think that is the key here. We weren't born with ideology, but we were born with doubt, and that is the part that is so unpredictable.

Probabilities across large groups may hold well beyond statistical significance, but individual variance can be extreme.

One thing I noticed early in my travels was that it wasn't uncommon at all for the views of MOST of a group of people to not correlate with the positions or actions of their elected government. Before that i didn't realize you can get a very large group to go along with something that most of them individually disagree with. It is a strange social phenomenon.

tonj

Master of Distraction
Watch the Through the Wormhole episode "What Makes Us Who We Are" it is fascinating. There is a segment in the show that illustrates the power of social conformity. Several subjects were shown images then asked to recall details. In one picture a kid is wearing a hat, so they were given a few options like "was he wearing a hat?" yes or no? Then they gave the subject false feedback, stating the other subjects all recalled the kid as not having a hat, and nearly 100% of test subjects changed their answers to conform. A week later the same questions were asked, and they still gave the incorrect answer, essentially proving you can change a person's memory based on something as simple as peer pressure. Also, check out Project Monarch.

Darth Brogan

Sith Lord
I do have a mom and a daughter so I have nothing against women but ... women are smarter than man and they know how to make you do things easily. I do agree also with ShadowKing. I also believe science is working on that now and probably they have the virus ready to be used on humans to make them zombies and to do what they want you to do. If you could dominate your mind, you will be completely in charge of yourself. If you can dominate others mind, you will make them do anything for you. They are working on it !! :mad:
I wouldn't say smarter, it really depends on the individual, but women are better at getting men to do what they want, I think probably because men desire women more than women desire men.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts