Psiberzerker's Build Clinic

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
I was going to follow it for the first few levels, then go off on my own tangent.... :D
Well, in that case, Hack&Slash can be extremely powerful combined with Fire magic, so it might be something to try out. Try it al out, but that was the spirit of all of this, helping you get started, instead of telling you the exact character you should have at the end of the game.

Joker

Cook, Wine Taster, Scotch Taster, Adventure Seeker
Well, in that case, Hack&Slash can be extremely powerful combined with Fire magic, so it might be something to try out. Try it al out, but that was the spirit of all of this, helping you get started, instead of telling you the exact character you should have at the end of the game.

To be honest, the destruction magic is working pretty well right now. I do snipe with a bow and arrow, but I am throwing fire & sparks better than anything else. The Bound Weapon is interesting, I don't quite have the hang of it, yet.

Joker

I used the bow & arrow to kill the two giants out in the middle of no where. Then I got brave and tried to kill a mammoth. I think I now have an enemy for life. I barely scratched it before I had to sprint away to save my life. Then, it came after me again, so more sprinting to the nearby Fort.....

Twiffle

hi Psiber, .. well you did invite,, to be honest there are 2 styles i just love in Skyrim, , 2h weapons, and i did try but got over complicated with and that was a shield/mage thingy, , shield and spells only,, really like that sound of it, , so either one is my pref, , but im open to anything for a good build as i said in my thread, ,

PS, no overpowered sneak archer please,

hi Psiber, .. well you did invite,, to be honest there are 2 styles i just love in Skyrim, , 2h weapons, and i did try but got over complicated with and that was a shield/mage thingy, , shield and spells only,, really like that sound of it, , so either one is my pref, , but im open to anything for a good build as i said in my thread, ,

PS, no overpowered sneak archer please,
LOL, okay. So, you want to try 2H, or Shield/mage, because these are both pretty mutually exclusive. 2H isn't all that hard, or unique, but it does take a different set of tactics than S&B. Shieldmage, the way i play it is mostly Bash&Burn, at first, you have Flames, and probably a Steel Shield, which is tricky, but not too squish in the beginning with the proper tactics. Bash&Burn, just like it says on the tin. Block does lower some of the incoming damage, but this is either because they got a shot in before you could Bash, or you ran your Stamina down before the fight ended, and you can't Bash any more. At this point, it's a damage race, so you should still Block if you see them wind up their attack animation, but roast them otherwise, hopefully while they're staggared so they can't counter-attack.

This is i-on-one, and with steel/flames, you should be able to successfully duel a Restless Draugr. Bash him to interrupt his Frostbite, or he will drain your ability to quickly, light him up, and keep him off balance. Against multiple Draugr, you might be better served by kiting them around, and double casting like a normal Destruction Mage. Otherwise, you'll find, you can only stunlock a couple without time to cast in between bashes, and it'll take a long time to wear them down that way. Divide, and conquer at this point in the build, because you will still be realtively weak.

At Mid-Level, this becomes a bit less painful, because of Flame Cloak. Now, you only have to cast that every minute to keep it up, and can just use the shield while that does your damage for you. You're going to want to run the Main Quest to get the Targe of the Blooded, because the Bleeding Damage stacks with your Burn. Also, Alteration is nice, because Mage Armor isn't affected by the shield if you wear nothing else. The other option is Heavy with Robes (The shield replaces your Curaiss) mostly for enchanted armor like Dragon priest masks. Up to you, I haven't tried it with Light Armor for Wind Walker, but it's another possible option once you get to the point that Magicka Regeneration is handled by Duration spells.

The ultimate endgame combo is with Wall Spells (And other Expert level projectiles for Range.) These do 1500 damage over 20 seconds, if you can keep them in the AoE. That's what the shield is for, to stunlock them, and also keep you from getting mashed flat by their weapons. Since the Casting Cost for these is persecond, if you just pulse them momentarilly, they don't actually cost much at all. Also, you can switch elements between bashes to stack up all 3 in the same spot, eventually up to 225 damage per second, which kills most everything pretty quickly.

The real beauty of this build is that it's Perk Efficient, so if you just have Block, Destruction, and either heavy Armor, or Alteration, you can stay below 25, where Destruction is still not under-powered. Keep in mind, Augment Element perks don't affect indirect damage, like the afterburn, cloak, and wall effects, so I'd save these for Lightning at range, and maybe Frost for Ice Storm. This slows them, so they don't run out of the AoE, and you can Frost Road them (Kiting them over a strip of Frost Wall cast at your feet) if you really don't want to go toe to toe.

I guess you could consider the Axemage a variant, except, of course having 2H in addition to the bash half of Block. Also, you're pretty much stuck with Flame/Frost Cloak because you can't just recast Walls in between bashes as with a Shield. Otherwise, this is simpler with just 2 modes of fighting, and a simple switch between the two. Start off as a Mage (or Sorcerer in Armor) and either use Destruction to soften them up before closing, or double cast Duration spells to last you through the melee fight. Then, draw your Axe, or Greatsword, and wade into the frey.

There's 3 basic sub-builds of the general idea, the differences being Armor. You can go Heavy/Robes, Alteration (Magearmor) or Light/Alteration. Without a Shield, you can't just stack Otar on the Elemental Protection perk, but I don't suggest full tank with 2 handed, because while the protection is there, your Mobility, and Stamina suffer. The main advantage 2Handed has over 1 is Reach, which you can't take advantage of without footwork, and timing because of the slow swinging speed. I went Light for more Stamina/recovery, the only reason to go heavy is Dragon priest masks like Rahgot particularly. With the Gauldur Amulet, you get to double your Stamina bar, without spending a point on it. Robes are almost an afterthought, because you handle Magicka Regeneration with Duration (Except for when you're basically a Sorcerer) but the Casting Cost discounts do help. For instance, if you have Vokun, and Master Robes of Destruction, you can cast both Ebonyflesh, and Frost Cloak simultaneously for less Magicka (with Expert/Adept Alteration/Destruction perks) so you can put it all in health. That+the Armor should keep you alive in the Damage Race of the melee.

Instead of the Main Quest for the Targe of the Blooded, I suggest you run straight through the College of Winterhold for the Drainblood Battleaxe. This is Sword light (Not Greatsword, it weighs as much as an Ebony Dagger!) for minimum Stamina for Power Attacks, and Bashes. The enchantment (Absorb Health, 15 points) add damage, and healing, but without a significant amount of Fortify Destruction enchantments, lasts for a couple swings. What i usually do is keep one depleted as my main beater, then switch to the charged one (you can get two) or recharge it mid-fight if I'm really getting pounded. If you want to tactically train up Enchanting, then this makes it an ideal trainer, except for the lack of Soul Trap.

I also ran the Companions through Proving Honor for Farkas' SSGS, a replacement from Eorlund in case of Disarm, and also a Silver one. When you feel up to it, beat up Warlord Gathric for the BA of Firey Souls, but I'd rather Disenchant it when you get Extra Effect with one of your Drainbloods to Enchant Ahtar's Axe. This can't be Improved on a grindstone, but you Can double enchant it, with Hack&Slash, and it's intrinsic fast striking/reach. This spreads the love like nothing else with Sweep once you figure out how to land it on multiple foes.

http://skyrimcalculator.com/#270224 This is what i ended up with, your's may vary. Fire Enchanter, because it increases the damage of both Absorb Health, and Firey Soul Trap when you Enchant yourself. I didn't Augment Flames, because it doesn't affect the Cloak, and firebolt is too slow. Augment Frost, for Ice Spike/Storm, and Shock/Disintegrate to weaken some foes. I know IS is the slowest traveling spell effect, but if you back-pedal, and double cast it, you can hit a whole line of mobs right before pulling your beater, and Critical Charging. probably won't have enough to do that, a Cloak, AND Ebonyflesh, but they will al be slowed, stamina drained, damaged, and pretty well set up to be finished off.

No Smithing, just advance through the Light tiers with Spells to enhance your Armor, and Damage until you get Enchanting. I wound up in Elven with a lot of Fortify Destruction/Alteration (Neither up to 100) True Grip, Regenerate Magicka Stamina, and Resist Shock. I went Dunmer, and wound up it Solestheim, for the Bloodskal Blade, but Nord works just as better (Cold Resistance also affects the Stamina Drain, but not the Slow Affect) or Breton for MR/Spell Absorbtion. Altemr means probably not having to spend points on Magicka until late in the game, I never do with all the kick-downs from the College of Winterhold. (BTW, Morokei doesn't count as Light Armor for Magearmor, Or Wind Walker, but you can stack it with a PO helmet for the latter.)

I would think you could drop Light Armor entirely for Magearmor (3) and some points left over for Conjuration. I used Sanguine's Rose, but 2 Dremora's better than 1, and you could give the staff to a follower for up to 3. (Very handy on Master.) In fact, I'd love it if somebody would playtest this variant, and save me the trouble.

I have also done Full HA, and dropped Destruction for the Ebony Mail. Archery instead, no Magicka, didn't like it as much. Works fine, on Master, in Solestheim, the Poison Cloak is automatic, and warns you that a fight is going to break out, which is kind of nice. I didn't invest enough in Archery, which is probably my problem, so don't make the same mistake.

Conjuration would be a good adition to any an all of these builds, considering their reliance on Indirect damage, but it might make you OP much earlier... I have doen a pure Shield Summoner (Just tank while the summons do all the damage) but it gets old just watching the battle while everbody pounds on you. Illusion is vitel for that strategy, so you can have them all fight each other, and Battlecry is nice to save yourself when it starts going horribly wrong...

Reactions: Niq

Twiffle

^^, now that is concise, although i think i got the gist of it, basically if 2h, use heavy armour and a cloak spell, if shield and spell use heavy helm/gloves/boots and robes, , to put it simple of course.
and as for weapons, choose and use as required in the game and circumstance, same goes for the shield and spells, use as required,, , hope i understood it right,

^^, now that is concise, although i think i got the gist of it, basically if 2h, use heavy armour and a cloak spell, if shield and spell use heavy helm/gloves/boots and robes, , to put it simple of course.
and as for weapons, choose and use as required in the game and circumstance, same goes for the shield and spells, use as required,, , hope i understood it right,
I did the 2h/LIGHT Armor, and believe it fits better, because of the Stamina recovery. I'd say if you do do Heavy Armor, then wear Robes, and a Dragon Priest Mask so you have enough mobility to take advantage of Reach. Otherwise, you'll end up Hacking, and Bashing up close, which runs your Stamina down too quick. Also, before you close with your Axe, or Greatsword, it helps to be faster for carpet bombing with Destruction, then backpedaling while you change out. (or, you can drop some stuff for Impact/Dual Cast, and just be a Sorcerer with a Back-up when you tap out.) This keeps you from taking hits during the long draw animation. Once you get Conditioned, and Extra Effect, you can hit your Body Armor with Fortify Destruction/Regenerate Magicka (From Robes of Destruction,) and Fortify Destruction to get half off, or Fortify Alteration/RegMag, or whatever... It's possible to get 2 schools free this way, but that doesn't leave many slots for anything else. (8 out of 10 devoted to just that.) Since you'll probably only be spamming Destruction in Sorcerer mode, you can just cast Ebonyflesh before drawing, and moving in to mop up...

Twiffle

^^ i have just started it, i have gone for Altmer, using light armour 2h, novic hood going for alteration for a little extra and cloak spells, mage college and the extra magik means i can buff up my health to start, , currently in helgen, i will update you.

Wuld is the ultimate shout for either of these, because you can just burn yourself dry, then bolt in to finish them close quarters. Also, FRD can send them flying back, so you can swap back to magic, and fry them getting back up, or re-up your support spells, because they wore off. Ice Form is another goody, especially for the Shieldmage, because they fry helpless in the AoE, and you don't even have to hit them. You can also use Paralysis (Alteration) for a similar effect once you have it all set up.

Shield Mage is a bit of a weird way to go about it, and slow, but that's what makes it fun long after you've bled the game dry. unfortunately, it's cripling over-specialization, you can Zot from a distance, or Bash/Burn up close, but if you add anything else, it just makes you spells (Primary offense) Less effective. This: http://skyrimcalculator.com/#270259 is the Endgame build, unbelievably powerful, and yet, further leveling is likely to make you less effective. Fortunately, Wall/Cloak spells don't give you Destruction XP, Block, and Alteration max, out, and all you really need is a halway decent Follower. I suggest Jenassa, or Eola, with the Gauldur Blackblade, Sanguine Rose, Scaled Armor...

^^ i have just started it, i have gone for Altmer, using light armour 2h, novic hood going for alteration for a little extra and cloak spells, mage college and the extra magik means i can buff up my health to start, , currently in helgen, i will update you.
Great! I haven't tried that particular combination, so I'm curious to see how it works out. Altmer has better mobility, and Reach, so it should be ideal! Once you get the Gauldur Amulet/fragment, you can pretty much ditch the hood, but I highly recommend Forbidden legend as a side quest whenever it's convenient. Don't forget to screen-cap!

Twiffle

^^, xbox sorry cant screen cap,

I was thinking something like this: http://skyrimcalculator.com/#270259 for the eventual goal. Not that you NEED Conjuration, but you said OP in the late game, so I maximized it for a single Dremora Lord at high level. Also, I left off Limbsplitter so you could go with the striking speed, reach, and weight/damage ratio of a SSGS to get you through the CoWH Arc. Adjust as needed, for instance, Sweep with the Drainblood if you can pull it off, or DDC/Impact for stunlocking en mass with Ice Storm.

Twiffle

I was thinking something like this: http://skyrimcalculator.com/#270259 for the eventual goal. Not that you NEED Conjuration, but you said OP in the late game, so I maximized it for a single Dremora Lord at high level. Also, I left off Limbsplitter so you could go with the striking speed, reach, and weight/damage ratio of a SSGS to get you through the CoWH Arc. Adjust as needed, for instance, Sweep with the Drainblood if you can pull it off, or DDC/Impact for stunlocking en mass with Ice Storm.

when i said OP in my thread,, i missled you i think,, i didnt mean to be soo OP, lol ,,, ,, just able to hold my own in a good brawl, :p

im at level 2, and to be honest, the little extra agility with the altmer does seem to make a difference, , although slight but noticeable.

when i said OP in my thread,, i missled you i think,, i didnt mean to be soo OP, lol ,,, ,, just able to hold my own in a good brawl, :p

im at level 2, and to be honest, the little extra agility with the altmer does seem to make a difference, , although slight but noticeable.
Drop it, then then you can afford Impact/LimbSplitter/Sweep/... Not all of them, mind you, but it does make for a lot more room. I'm probably going to drop Enchanting for Conjuration anyway. ;)

Optimising means wringing that last little bit of perfomance out after you do the gross impressive things to start. Like a Track Bike switching to Fixie to drop the weight of a freewheel, and brakes, this will at best give you a 10th of a seccond off your total lap time, but on the track, that counts. Meanwhile, mobility here means being able to take advantage of your reach better, not to mention spending less time over-all running between fights. I love Altmer for this as much as Highborn, considering how much cross contrey running around this big ole game has in it. Also, there's no way to eliminate the Speed biff you get from running with any 2Hander equipped, but this helps compensate for that. Synergy, that's the name of My game.

Twiffle

^ just thought id say, mine is a Female, name Millicent, raised by Imperials, trained by orcs in combat, and uses natural ability of magic, She was with Ulfric when he was captured, although the Helgen guards etc dont realise im a spy for the Empire, and was about to end Ulfrics rebellion when it all went **ts up. Only the Emperor knows of my identity, hence the hush hush and anonymity.

I will probably do enchanting, but mid-late game, i might do some speech, seeing as i was raised by imperials, , use it for trading etc etc. (but only with about 2 perks max)

PS, i think im gonna use the runes as well, placed infront of me for a little insurance, lol,

Joker

Psiberzerker, I tried the Magic Elf for a while this weekend. I got to Level 23, and got my butt handed to me, badly a couple times. It took me half an hour to beat the Red Devil guy, and I cannot get in the door without dying in Fort Amol. So, I am taking a break from that character. Now, I am looking for guidance in a Breton Archer. I am thinking more light armor, with the magic assistance.

Oh, bound sword and soul grab is awesome. I have so many filled soul gems now......Where I was desperate to find them with previous characters.

The Honorable Gidian Diva of Sass

Sahrot Vahlok Spaan. Bahnahgaar. Minion #88!
Staff member
^ just thought id say, mine is a Female, name Millicent, raised by Imperials, trained by orcs in combat, and uses natural ability of magic, She was with Ulfric when he was captured, although the Helgen guards etc dont realise im a spy for the Empire, and was about to end Ulfrics rebellion when it all went **ts up. Only the Emperor knows of my identity, hence the hush hush and anonymity.

I will probably do enchanting, but mid-late game, i might do some speech, seeing as i was raised by imperials, , use it for trading etc etc. (but only with about 2 perks max)

PS, i think im gonna use the runes as well, placed infront of me for a little insurance, lol,
I advice you to save those perks for something else. Speech you should only invest in after beating the main questline of dragonborn, then investing in as many merchants as you can, then quickly resetting your perks.

Psiberzerker, I tried the Magic Elf for a while this weekend. I got to Level 23, and got my butt handed to me, badly a couple times. It took me half an hour to beat the Red Devil guy, and I cannot get in the door without dying in Fort Amol. So, I am taking a break from that character. Now, I am looking for guidance in a Breton Archer. I am thinking more light armor, with the magic assistance.

Oh, bound sword and soul grab is awesome. I have so many filled soul gems now......Where I was desperate to find them with previous characters.
What "Red devil guy"? Where? Did you get the Atronach Stone? This really helps with Fort Amol, but really, if you have Invisibility in any form, you should be able to handle it. The Prison is the door in the left corner, the Bound Bow spell is in there.

Breton is not the best choice for an archer, if you're starting over. They're short, and therefore slow, they don't have any skill in it, so it's going to be a long slow grind to get even reasonably powerful, through Smithy, which you'll also have to get up from 15. An archer must be Mobile, because if you get caught up close, you'll get your ass handed to you. While it's possible to strap on heavy armor, and getting better weapons, this will eventually make you a Tank/ Warrior with a bow. Nothing wrong with that, but not exactly what I would call an Archer.

I'd stick with your Nightblade for a while, once you get Bound Bow, it will be a lot easier. What are your Stats? When you got killed, what was the situation? What level is your Conjuration Skill? Remember, you're not a tank, so don't just stand there, and get pounded on. Dodge around, try to maneuver to get the first shot, and soften them up with Spells first. If it's too much of a fight, then sneak in invisibly, and kill them without a fight. Your real advantage, and power is you're not specialized, so you can beat any specialist by staying out of their fight. Take Warriors from afar with Magic that ignores their armor, Archers up close, or with a couple Bolts while you charge in. Do not get in a spell fight with Mages, they will block your's with a Ward, so use a Sword, and you can always just outright Kill Them.

You might be ready for the Dark Brotherhood, so head for Windhelm, and look for the Aretino Boy. Talk to guards, or ask about Rumors in one of the Inns, then do what he says. Take a nap as soon as you get a letter... That'll put you in with the Assassin's Guild, and give you access to some of the best gear.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts