• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Smacka

Sleepless in Pennsylvania
I am not sure what 1080pi means. There is 1080p, which is high definition at 1080-lines on the screen using a "progressive scan" technique that displays the positive pixels and the negative pixels all at one time for each screen shot (1,080-total lines per screen shot). Then, there is 1080i (completely separate from 1080p) which has 1080-lines but needs two screen shots to display both the positive and negative pixels. This is called "interlaced" (and is what the "i" in 1080i stands for). Since the interlaced technique requires that the positive and negative pixels be rendered separately, there can be only 540-lines per screen shot. So in 1080i mode, the actual resolution is 540-lines per screen shot and not 1,080-lines per screen shot.

Skyrim for PS3 does not support 1080p, only 1080i (look on the back of the protective cover).

With PS3, under the "display settings", it supports 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p. Since Skyrim does not support 1080p, the console upscales the 1080i (540-lines per screen shot) to 720p (720-lines per screen shot). It does so in the written programming for the console. However, the PS3 (or any other electronic device) cannot upscale from 1080i to 1080p. The conversion cannot make up for that amount of loss per screen shot. So, that is why the PS3 console reverts the screen resolution back to 720p from my settings of 1080p. 720p is a higher resolution per screen shot than 1080i, and since it cannot render up to 1080p, it chooses the next higher resolution setting.

The internet is wonderful tool ;)

Hey thanks for that smacka, very good to know.

i only get to play at the weekend so i have only just checked my case this weekend, it states 720P!

Smacka

Sleepless in Pennsylvania
You are very welcome. When I first asked my question with respect to hi res, I scoured the internet (at the same time) for more info on topic. I learned something as well ;)

K Alvarado

This comment alone shows how ignorant you truly are. Im sure you will never play it in 1080.
What the hell is "
As long as you have a TV that supports 1080pi with a HDMI input then you can play ps3 games that supports 1080pi as long as you have the cable with the hd tv. Though setting it up within the ps3 I couldn't tell you much about since someone did mine for me, other than video settings or something. Yeah so I dont think you do know the difference because your last comment said It cant be done, so Don't say Im full of pl*** when Im sitting here right now playing Skyrim on my ps3 in 1080 lol. Come on here asking for help and when people give it, you try and say It cant be done lol Mr tech.

Whats the model of your T.V