Problems I had with my Thief/Assassin...

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Su8tle

The Shadow of Elsweyr
Problem 1: I had a lv.23 Thief/Assassin that I retired recently. Was going really well. Was using daggers with 30x backstab and sneak bow attacks, but as the level got to the mid 20's and my bow couldn't one shot many of the tougher enemies, I started to get owned when they'd rush me. If I couldn't kill them with stealth quickly, I was generally rooted. I was thinking of starting another Thief/Assassin but this time dropping some perks into dual wield and also running a set of dual swords to switch to when the fight gets up close and personal, should this fix my earlier build problem?

2nd problem: I went the light armour side of smithing. Quickly found that I really wanted the right side of the tree for stronger weapons but. Would it be better to use the right side of the smithing tree for weapons and just smith up some unique light armour (shrouded/nightingale)? Smithing enchantments and potions needed I know.

3rd problem: Having a discussion with a mate last night and what 'exactly' is a Rogue? Is it halfway between a Thief and Assassin? Or something totally different.

Golgo_SPB

I never had much problems with people finding me when I got my sneak high enough, I just hid until they stopped looking for me and shot them again. What kind of bow and arrows did you use?

Su8tle

The Shadow of Elsweyr
Smithed Elven bow with steel arrows I think.

skyy

Try out the infinite arrow glitch with any daedric arrows you find, but my theif/mage hybrid has full smithing tree, full sneak, and full one-handed, and he can slaughter anywith dual-daedric daggers.

Also, I am using Dragonbone Light armor.

Quanah

Bosmer Shadowscale
I worked on Sneak and 1h in the beginning. No dual wield and my Assassin has done quite fine for himself.

Elgrif

Skooma Alchemist
You could also try an arcane assassin, using illusion as a catalyst.

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.

Su8tle

The Shadow of Elsweyr
So ive found the old save of my Rogue and gave him a new lease of life by steering him towards dual wielding. Working well so far!

Teritus

Giving it to you straight since 1869
Rogue is basically a mix between an assassin and a warrior. Uses a bow and arrows but swords too. Kind of like my current character.

Niflheimr

The same problem I had in Oblivion. I had a thief redguard acrobat and I used to struggle facing enemies face on.

I would advise you to focus on dual wield, get the dual fury and the dual savagery perks, and dual wield the Blade of Woe on your right hand and the Mehrunes' Razor on your left, and you'll be an unstoppable hurricane of death.

Niflheimr

Another advise is to focus on Illusion spells, spells like Calm and Fear could save your day if your sneak attack fails and you find yourself surrounded by enemies.

Ykcor

I never had much problems with people finding me when I got my sneak high enough, I just hid until they stopped looking for me and shot them again. What kind of bow and arrows did you use?
this guy said it the best out of all. if you cant kill them in one hit, drop back for a little while until hidden. or drop back a little more and take another shot before they get close.. and don't be afraid to try for the long shots. that's my favorite part of my sneak archer. and if you do happen to get caught up in a sticky situation. get that rose staff thing and summon a dremora for 60 seconds. He will tank while you pick off enemies. Then go back to sneaking!

xaraan

Probably just need to tack on some enchantments. Even though my rogue is maxed out with Sneak I still have Boots dual enchanted with Sneak Fortify + Muffle and use Bracers that give me a Bonus for One-Handed and Bow damage and a hood that gives me bow damage bonus. Plus use an enchanted bow if you can, give you some extra damage. I also like using paralyze on my bow. Getting the knockback perk helps when they rush you as well. But I still make sure my armor and one hand skill is good enough in case I get rushed.

I honestly don't see any issue with one side of the perk tree or the other except one or two points of damage usually. You can get an elven bow up almost as much as a deadric really.

As for the Rogue, there is no one way you have to be for a rogue. Some rogues are nice, some are evil, some are dirty thieves, some are nice thieves. Don't shoehorn yourself too much, create the character you like.

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
That's right, you use Dragon Bones to make Dragon Plate Armor which is Heavy Armor & you use Dragon Scales to make Dragon Scale Armor which is Light Armor.
I only use Light Armor as it makes it more fun....lol

Phobos

You could also try adding poison to your bow. I know this helped me out when my bow wasnt a one hit weapon. Most of the time i would use a poison like slow so i could get more shots in and when i knew that the attacker was going to be one that would use magic i used a damage magic poison.

stagnant94

i had such bad sneak when i joined the DB i actually just found it easier to kill them in the middle of a crowd and just pay the bounty