Problem with Skyrim: Im Invincible

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
I can't think of a better word for it, other than Im invincible in the game. I haven't played the game in over a month, because the enemies just got so "easy" that there was no challenge.

I might start the account over and do stuff that makes me more invincible, but once your invincible and your character can single handedly wipe out a room full of baddies, or fight off a fortress, or walk straight up to a Giant and kill him with your mace, is there really a point in playing? With an ebony bow, sneak attack and a few upgrades in archer perks, I can take down a Giant or Mammoth in about 4-5 hits and I haven't even really made some truly hardcore weaponry in the game Even the Ancient Dragon's are a joke to me, and I haven't even gotten to Daedric weapons.

I might start the game over, start with a new one, but really when I spam fortify enchanting and smithing potions, to enchant clothes to make stronger potions and do this until I make some truly awesome weapons and armor, what is the point in playing if there is no challenge? Even putting the game on hard did not help either. My carry weight is pretty full of potions, it might help if I sold off all my potions, its almost as if the potions kill the game because anytime you run into trouble, you go into your inventory, chug a couple potions like you're a potionholic and your set to finish the enemy off where the enemies don't really have such an option.

With all the easily available and easy to find loot, money is of no issue in the game, its just a damn shame that it isn't like this in Real Life where I have an extremely difficult time obtaining new sources of cash.

Either I need some mods that makes the game significantly harder, or wait til a different game comes out. I actually liked the game more when I had to save every 5 minutes or so just to traverse the map because dying was a very real possibility or start over, actually it was better to run into an enemy that you absolutely could not kill no matter what you did, because you could always level up and come back to it. Once you obtain the higher levels though, then you can pretty much do whatever you want in the game, I could fight off a whole city's guards and pretty much do whatever I want.

A couple things that I found were a complete waste of perks was Juggernaut, since there is an armor cap anyways, and you can smith some truly awesome armor, you really don't need any perks invested in armor. The perks for leveling up the damage on your mace (I prefer the mace cuz it staggers enemies) makes it so deadly that Im at the point that there is nothing that doesn't get killed in 1-2 hits. I use to think the Centurions were awesome opponents, now they are about as feeble as a giant. The only enemy I haven't attempted to do battle with is the Arcane Mages, but Im putting that off until I have modded the game to the point that its a challenge again.

I ran into this problem with the last RPG I played like this, it was Poke'mon on the gameboy, 1998 or so. The enemies I ran into in that game after I got past maybe the first gym, offered next to no challenge because if I run into a problem, all I need to do is level up and come back and smash them to bits. Did anyone else run into this problem?

Skulli

Is that fur coming out of your ears?
I have that trouble on 2 characters. I started giving them crap gear to compensate, and dismiss my follower.

OckhamsFolly

Might be going out on a limb here, but why don't you just NOT abuse fortify potions to make fortify gear to make better fortify potions to make better etc. etc.?

Skyrim is best enjoyed when you don't let yourself do every dirty little trick. Personally, I think it's BEST enjoyed when you don't let yourself do any, but that's a little too much personal preference, I think.

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
I might start the account over and do stuff that makes me more invincible, but once your invincible and your character can single handedly wipe out a room full of baddies, or fight off a fortress, or walk straight up to a Giant and kill him with your mace, is there really a point in playing?

I might start the game over, start with a new one, but really when I spam fortify enchanting and smithing potions, to enchant clothes to make stronger potions and do this until I make some truly awesome weapons and armor, what is the point in playing if there is no challenge?

Either I need some mods that makes the game significantly harder, or wait til a different game comes out.
Here's an idea: don't do stuff to make yourself invincible, like spamming your skills to make impossibly strong potions and gear. If you're finding the game too easy, maybe it's because you're cheating. Stop cheating and just play the game.

Shadow King

Grand master of the Order of Talos.
You can start over again or keep playing that build, but u really got to add restrictions to the game I became so overpowerd I had to throw my Daedric bow away and use a long bow, I also had to store away any good weapons like dawnbreaker or ebony blade because when I was fighting in battle with a sword and sheild I could kill enemies in a few hits, I use a sheild so I can use tactics and beat the enemies but with strong weapons I was spanking them left right and centre and there was no need for a sheild if they had little chance of hitting me, I think u should maybe start a new build and use some serious restrictions like only being able to carry 10 potions or not using Alchemy or Enchanting at all, also dont use any high end armor ebony/glass/daedric/dragon I stoped using them because I was overpowerd, anyways I think daedric glass and dragon armor look stupid all the crap armor looks realistic, I mean daedric armor maybe looks cool but im sure u can imagine lady gaga wearing it, its over the top stuff lol.

I don't use a shield because I assumed that the shield would make hitting the armor cap even easier. I have a mace in my right hand (because Im right handed in Real Life, it feels and looks more natural for my character to be using his right hand) and shoot fireballs from my left. I must say, getting my destructive magic up is hard in this game. Kinda lame when you have to put your own restrictions to keep the game from getting boring.

I've always been great at playing games. If there was an ingame exploit, I would always use it, but I was always against using cheat codes to get through a game (The one exception being the Contra code on the NES), only people who actually cheated I.E. had some downloadable program were better like an aimbot or wall hack, but this is one of the first games that I think requires difficulty mods. Ive been playing games since the NES days and I was 4 years old and could smash my father in a game of Super Mario Bros. Ive actually looked into poker since I think there is a possibility you can legitimately make money if you thoroughly understand the game and how to exploit weaker players even without actually cheating. Im not sure if I want to start up a new game of skyrim, or just dust off GTA IV and play one of the expansion packs I paid for but never played.

Show me a list of mods I can download to make it MUCH more difficult, Im gonna start a new character and play it again til it gets too easy. I actually enjoy getting to level 100 speech using the speech bug, or 100 for smithing, alchemy (I particularly enjoy collecting giant toe's) and enchanting, but after about 120 hours, I become invincible and shelve the game.

feliciano182

There's an advantage to a game that has so much possibilities to become over-powered though, I can wear whatever armor I want, use whatever weapon I want, and still come out perfectly on top, that helps a lot for people that do put priority on aesthetics, to mention one important criteria.

Translation:

MY NIGHTINGALE ARMOR IS AWEEEEEEESOMEEEEEEE !

Reaper0021

Steam: Reaper0021
There are several mods on Nexus that can and do make the game REALLY hard. One is "Deadly Dragons" which makes the battles vs Dragons truly epic. I have seen one Legendary Dragon wipe out most every guard in Falkreath, then on top of that still took me 22 minutes to kill it. In game, it was a battle that lasted hours. There are mods that make the in-game economy more balanced i.e. you will pay more and receive less for items you try to sell. You have much less of a chance to find magic weapons/armor in chests in-game. There are, quite literally, dozens of very superior, high rated mods out there that make and change the core of the game in ways that will make it almost like playing a totally revamped Skyrim.

For some reason GTA IV doesn't "offend" me with how many kills the player can get as a 1 man army. I can fight off multiple platoons of SWAT teams, and have an arsenal of weapons and ammunition as big as any military armory, that by its very nature is overpowered, however since its a fantasy game as well since you carry out mass murder shooting sprees with no real life retribution, and unless u sit at the top of a skyscraper shooting at the police below or constantly use codes, the NPC's eventually do kill you. This game, I don't even think I need to bother messing with the Markarth Guard glitch, since I can slaughter anyone I come into contact with just a few swings of my mace.

Back when I use to play NES games the problem with it was a lot of the games were in fact too hard to beat, and some were impossible to beat (see AVGN's Silver Surfer episode if you need to know what I'm talking about, or even AVGN's Ninja Gaiden) I think in the last 10 years or so, the video game market has done more to cater to the casual gamer, who doesn't google search every exploit available in the game, picks up their controller plays for a few hours and puts it down. Thats the problem, its ingrained into me to be a quote unquote "hardcore gamer" as I join forums, strategize and will plan for days on how Im going to beat the game or some mission I've had a lot of difficulty beating. I think this would work better if the game had a multiplayer option since it can be infinitely harder to kill other peoples characters than NPC's in this game. Also the save feature kinda hurts the game, and how quickly you regenerate health, I know this can be changed with a console command. I level up my pick pocketing really easily, I just save before I pick pocket, then pick pocket the person and if I'm not successful, load up the previous save again and try until I'm successful. Right now my pick pocket skills are close to 100, and it didn't really take long, was kind of a fun side game as my character was a total Kleptomaniac.

With the riverwood trader, and my powerful enchants on jewelry for being able to barter better, I now pretty much have an infinite supply of money in the game, I actually go to him to get rid of all my junk rather than any need of money. I've seen games where they had a better use of money in the game, GTA SA you could always find a new house you needed to buy and Vice City you could buy new businesses (although even eventually in both of those games in game money becomes of next to no use). I think the mansion in that castle city should be like 400,000 septims instead of a measly 25,000 to buy it and have it fully furnished. I just don't know about skyrim, I might load up a new character, but I think I might have to wait for a multiplayer version of the game before I can thoroughly enjoy it. When is Elder Scrolls Online coming out?

Rhubarb&Custard

Ever tried just changing your difficulty to Master? Or just playing the game for the game and not using all the fortify enchanting/smithing stuff to grind up your levels? Just relax and enjoy the game for what it is. Skyrim is a huge, huge game, not including all the little quests you can do. If you just spend your time standing at a forge or enchanting table, then of course it's going to become boring and you're going to become invincible, because you're just playing one aspect of the game.

I don't even bother with cheat levelling smithing and enchanting, I get excited when I find Ebony armour loot in a chest! I found my first Dragonbone helmet the other day, and I've had the game since April (on PS3) and October (on PC). It's about immersing yourself in the gameplay, and play the game.

This is a problem with every Elder Scrolls game. There is always a game mechanic you can exploit. The reason they do this is to not punish players who AREN'T grinding. For instance, they patched smithing after grinders were getting to 100 very quickly, but now it's almost impossible for people who play naturally to get smithing raised without having to grind it. I mean I can make myself a weapon, every piece of armor, improve it all, and maybe only raise smithing by 1 or 2 points and no where close to the next smithing perk. At that point what is there to do but grind? Cause it's not like I can make myself better armor or weapons or improve them any better without the next perk.

Smithing is an example of a skill they incorrectly patched in response to people essentially breaking the game (1000+ iron daggers, really?!). Cause grinders will still grind (even if it takes more iron daggers) and people that play naturally, unfortunately, are forced to grind when the game is patched in response to the grinders. Overall, it's a good example of why they DON'T patch skills to make them harder to raise.

Luckily it's a single player game so people exploiting game mechanics don't ruin other peoples' games.

The bottom line is that the Elder Scrolls give you freedom. And by giving freedom to casual players, the mechanics leave themselves open for exploitation. Just don't exploit.

The reason the restoration glitch probably hasn't been fixed yet is probably because it's not an easy fix like patch to smithing. And since no one is ruining anyone else's game by using it (being a single player game and all), it's not a huge priority. Just don't do it if you don't like the consequences!

Reaper0021

Steam: Reaper0021
I agree with what Redguard said...you have to approach the game with the "Honor System" mentality in mind ultimately. You decide if you want to stretch the game out or make it easier by exploiting certain aspects of the game to make it quicker/faster/easier to achieve certain goals. I personally don't have issues with the game being too easy or for that matter too hard. I guess in this instance you are your own worst enemy at this stage and maybe you need to start over or maybe even play a different type of game for your RPG needs.

Skulli

Is that fur coming out of your ears?
I can say honestly that I have taken 2 characters to end game and beyond, playing fairly, no exploits, no cheats.

Now I level up new heroes/villains, and have no no NO desire to grind what I need after at least 20 Bleak Falls Barrow runs! :p

Even then, I use it like a daily racial power or something.

Try a more balanced/limited playstyle. For instance, Destruction caps lower than Bows/Arrows as far as raw damage output, so if you do start over, I'd suggest that in lieu of a Bow. I've found an unarmored weapons free Wizard to be the least over-powered, as long as you don't abuse Summons, and Illusion to make them fight each other.

What difficulty are you playing? If it's that dad blamed easy, and you're not on Master, I put it to you that there might be your problem. In general, don't craft up OP gear, cap out your Armor, and stack up resistances to nigh invulnerability.

kyleekay

I can't think of a better word for it, other than Im invincible in the game. I haven't played the game in over a month, because the enemies just got so "easy" that there was no challenge.

I might start the account over and do stuff that makes me more invincible, but once your invincible and your character can single handedly wipe out a room full of baddies, or fight off a fortress, or walk straight up to a Giant and kill him with your mace, is there really a point in playing? With an ebony bow, sneak attack and a few upgrades in archer perks, I can take down a Giant or Mammoth in about 4-5 hits and I haven't even really made some truly hardcore weaponry in the game Even the Ancient Dragon's are a joke to me, and I haven't even gotten to Daedric weapons.

I might start the game over, start with a new one, but really when I spam fortify enchanting and smithing potions, to enchant clothes to make stronger potions and do this until I make some truly awesome weapons and armor, what is the point in playing if there is no challenge? Even putting the game on hard did not help either. My carry weight is pretty full of potions, it might help if I sold off all my potions, its almost as if the potions kill the game because anytime you run into trouble, you go into your inventory, chug a couple potions like you're a potionholic and your set to finish the enemy off where the enemies don't really have such an option.

With all the easily available and easy to find loot, money is of no issue in the game, its just a damn shame that it isn't like this in Real Life where I have an extremely difficult time obtaining new sources of cash.

Either I need some mods that makes the game significantly harder, or wait til a different game comes out. I actually liked the game more when I had to save every 5 minutes or so just to traverse the map because dying was a very real possibility or start over, actually it was better to run into an enemy that you absolutely could not kill no matter what you did, because you could always level up and come back to it. Once you obtain the higher levels though, then you can pretty much do whatever you want in the game, I could fight off a whole city's guards and pretty much do whatever I want.

A couple things that I found were a complete waste of perks was Juggernaut, since there is an armor cap anyways, and you can smith some truly awesome armor, you really don't need any perks invested in armor. The perks for leveling up the damage on your mace (I prefer the mace cuz it staggers enemies) makes it so deadly that Im at the point that there is nothing that doesn't get killed in 1-2 hits. I use to think the Centurions were awesome opponents, now they are about as feeble as a giant. The only enemy I haven't attempted to do battle with is the Arcane Mages, but Im putting that off until I have modded the game to the point that its a challenge again.

I ran into this problem with the last RPG I played like this, it was Poke'mon on the gameboy, 1998 or so. The enemies I ran into in that game after I got past maybe the first gym, offered next to no challenge because if I run into a problem, all I need to do is level up and come back and smash them to bits. Did anyone else run into this problem?

I'm sure someone has suggested this already, but why don't you try a hardcore RP character? Create one that only wears Clothing or Robes, and don't invest in any Mage Armor perks or anything. You could have your character wield only a dagger, nothing in the left hand, and run around fighting with next to no protection. That in and of itself should give you a good challenge. If you still found that too easy, then don't carry potions, etc. Don't take gold when you Loot after killing (to help with the "too rich" problem) and if you need money, do some farming/mining/wood chopping.

There are plenty of ways to make the game challenging again, assuming you are willing to put in the work necessary to NOT power-level everything. Good luck! :)

Finnsson

Prince of Denmark
Ah, yes, the "I'm too awesome" thing. Well, I must say, I've done the whole "fortify restoration/alchemy" thing, and I think it was the reason I stopped playing for a while. Invincibility isn't as cool as it sounds once you actually achieve it, though I do wish I had it when I tried to horseback drive-by that group of bears...

What makes the game fun for me is when my characters are hopelessly outmatched and/or impaired. My newest character's left arm is paralyzed, so he can only use his right (no two-handed, archery, block, dual-wielding, or any other skill or action that requires two hands). Another is deaf, so I turn all sound down and subtitles (if present) off. It's been ridiculously challenging, and quite entertaining. Maybe what you need is an imaginative RP sort of deal with yours. I'm sure it will spice things up.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts