• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Pendalyn

Very Dangerous Nobody
I think this is the right place for this, and hopefully a format that will get a bit more exposure than the blog section.

A link to my current blog posts, which will stop and move to here from now on.

http://skyrimforum.com/blog/pendalyn.25014/

I'll get better at the formatting, and I'll provide a back story on my character shortly, until then check out my blog and follow if interested. The thread posts will be written in character, about activities and adventures in game. I will do my very best to research lore and details before posting any such things, and I always welcome critiques and corrections.

Thanks. Mods - move as needed please.

Black Orchid

Death Incarnate
I think this is the right place for this, and hopefully a format that will get a bit more exposure than the blog section.

A link to my current blog posts, which will stop and move to here from now on.

http://skyrimforum.com/blog/pendalyn.25014/

I'll get better at the formatting, and I'll provide a back story on my character shortly, until then check out my blog and follow if interested. The thread posts will be written in character, about activities and adventures in game. I will do my very best to research lore and details before posting any such things, and I always welcome critiques and corrections.

Thanks. Mods - move as needed please.

Nice story so far. I will keep an eye on it...

I wrote something similar, although condensed, in my Ghost Warrior thread, if you want to check it out. There's no blog for it, though, as I don't plan on expanding it.

http://skyrimforum.com/threads/ghost-warrior.23965/

Pendalyn

Very Dangerous Nobody
Thanks for the nice words. I'll check it out. Working on the backstory (who knew mine was soooo limited), and have several posts to catch up.

Pendalyn

Very Dangerous Nobody
OOC: The back story of my character may have some flaws in the historical accuracy. I've tried to research as much of lore as I can to connect a viable back story to the baseline of the game, all corrections or supplementation are welcome, as I am still a student of the game.

My name is Pendalyn Montverge. I was born on the Isle of Alissian which is set on the north western coast of the High Rock province of Isle of Balfiera. I grew up in the house of my mother, Talmai Montverge, a local merchant and businesswoman with reachings as far as Morrowind. My father, Orson Montverge was the son of a renowned member of the Iceblades, Penlynd Ossiander, a gladiator of great skill and fame in the region. My mother came from family deeply routed in the trade around Tamriel, and my father from fighters and adventurers. They were deeply in love, and complimented each others strengths and weaknesses well. With that in mind, it's easy to explain my wanderlust and my sometimes stubborn desire to adventure.

I did not live a charmed life, having four brothers and being the youngest of all does not come with much reward. I was sent daily to train with the village blacksmith and alchemist, so that I might understand the details of the trade which most benefited my ability to make money off of them. I quickly found I had little desire to make money, but much desire to obtain it. I began to integrate the applications of poisons and potions of benefit, made in alchemy, to sword skills I was picking up. My father never tired of my constant pestering to explain the finer details of a thrust, or the intricacies of an overhand swipe. To keep my mother happy, I was constantly improving my formulas to improve the value and potency of my chemical manifestations.

I left my home some years ago under tense and volatile circumstances. One dark night, 4E 193, my brothers and I were arguing the benefits of a poison enhanced blade. As usual, my brothers saw me less as a little sister and more as an intelligent threat to the family fortune. My insistence on a forgotten benefit of the combination of venison and nightshade in a rather deadly form of poison earned me a hard slap across the mouth from my eldest sibling (I intentionally keep their names from the record. They do not deserve the attention). This was not the first such response I had received for my intelligence, and my customary retort was to shout obscenities at my brothers for their ineptitude. To this day, I know not what came out of my mouth that night but the current life I lead is a constant reminder of it.

The Thu'um, the word, dragon speak are all labels I have learned to place on the expression of my voice that night. I don't yet have any understanding of it, and to be perfectly honest it scares me a bit. I've witnessed it's power and ferocity, but have little control over it. The word blew my brothers back, and sent my eldest sibling into the wall across the room, landing him squarely on the rack of axe blades in the houses' shop. I had no other instinct than to run, to leave, to be any where but where I was. I was mortified, terrified, confused and relieved as I grabbed the mane of my fathers horse and made off into the night darkened countryside.

I always ended up in the same place when my brothers and I fought, so I guess it's little wonder my father found me as Masser began to set and Secunda followed. The conversation between my father and I was lengthy, and was not at all what I had expected as result of the nights horrors. He began to explain to me the history of our family, and his account of our lineage is what I will attempt to recount for you here.

My family has been connected to the Isle of Balfiera since the 1st Era and beyond. Our bloodlines are traced back to the earliest inhabitants of the Isle, not of Elven descent. It is said that a patriarch in our family was a witness to the descent of Akatosh, though I know it to be an impossible feat for any being other than gods. What is certain is that my family was present in High Rock at the time of Queen Al-Esh (known as Alessia), and fought the Elves in the time of change. In the time of the reign of Queen Al-Esh a champion of our family was sought out as protectorate, renown for a skill as a bladesman. Pelin-El was his name, and it is spoken in no circles that he and Queen Al-Esh were more than champion and Queen. My father explained that her inability to bear a child to her demigod companion Morihaus lead her to the arms of her mortal champion, so that she might experience that joy.

Pelayn-Esh was the supposed child they bore. His was indeed a charmed life, Morihaus lead his education and training (imagine, a god training a mortal... that borders on blasphemy!) while his mother taught him skills of a political nature, and gave him his razor sharp wit. There is no record, other than the family word passed down through the generations of this occurring, or of the story that followed. Pelayn-Esh and a caretaker were rushed out of the capital. Alessia was dying, and the political shifting was threatening to take the lives of all associated with the dear queen. My father told me it was more likely due to a faction of swordspells who hunted Dragons in the past having caught word of Queen Al-Esh's supposed communion with Akatosh, in which he fused his blood with hers. Their desire was to wipe out the blood line, believing that doing so would enact an ancient prophesy of which I have no knowledge and my father made no mention.

Since the first era, my family members have hidden in plain sight and deep in holes to escape the onslaught of these hunters. My father explained they come in many forms, in all shapes, colors and conceivable conventions. He cautioned me with tales of several of my kinsmens closest encounters with those that seek to hurt us. He reminded me to be ever vigilant, and to continue to practice the skills I had begun to acquire. He also directed me to seek out the knowledge to control these more latent abilities I knew nothing of, and had only just experienced. His final words to me were “You are of royal blood, Pendalyn. You have the blood of Dragons and the knowledge of Gods inside of you. Seek out the destiny that you are meant to achieve, the time has evidently come. Your struggles and triumphs will be things of song and lore.”

With that he kissed my head, handed me a satchel and tack for the horse, and walked away. I didn't think to respond.

I immediately knew, for reasons still unknown to me, that I was to go to the province of Skyrim. I didn't particularly like cold (I've grown to hate it), and Nords always struck me as dull witted and I had no desire to experience their culture (a belief I have since amended). I traveled north from my home on the Isles and entered Jehanna on a cold snowy night. My intentions were to travel from there into Skyrim and Solitude, to see if that's where my calling was originating. In the range of mountains that signifies the border of High Rock and Skyrim, the caravan that I had gained passage with was attacked by bandits, scattering those of us not tied to the cargo's importance. I ended up taking 3 days in the mountains finding my way east towards Solitude, and arrived on a farm out side the cities walls in a cold heap, with a deep pain in the stomach.

A carriage owner saw me stumble out of the woods, staring wide eyed, he made me feel as if I was a ghost with his gaze. As I approached him, I think he finally realized I was flesh and blood when I asked him where the market was, and responded with a rather shaky finger point up the hill towards the city gates. I made it to the walls only to find the gates closed, and the curt guard offering little more than his boot in my hindside. Behind me I heard one of the stranger accents I have yet come across, as a young Khajiit spoke up. He belonged to a caravan of traders who were camped out side the walls waiting for traders to exit the city. He offered me a chunk of venison and some mead, and invited me to come sit and wait with him and his companions. I was thankful for the food, and was rather struck by the shade of green in his eyes.

My father and mother both have green eyes. All four of my brothers, also green eyes. Mine are blue. Go figure.

Finally around sundown, a group of traders exited the city gates and thus began exchanges with various members of Nadul's group (as I had come to learn his name). After a time they began to pack up and I was struck with the odd sense that I needed to be away from this place, and without remember how I initiated the comment, I asked Nadul if I could join him. With some reluctance, as much as you have when a pretty lady you don't know randomly asks you to travel to an unknown destination, he said yes and off we were. Some weeks later we were camped next to a military campsite, doing some trading with the bands quartermaster. The Nord camp was over run with soldiers of the Imperial Army in the middle of one night, and Nadul and I ran for the woods to escape. It was dark, and horribly cold, and I couldn't keep up with the nimble cat. I was found some hours later by a patrol, and gathered up with the other captives from the Nord's camp.

That's how I found myself in Helgen. Someday I'll relate that story to you, but I'm sure it's one of those you have heard before.

Pendalyn

Very Dangerous Nobody
A man at the inn last night made mention of a mine that was stock full of silver ore, and had yet been laid claim too. "Karthwasten" I believe he called it. I had not heard the name before, and I had been meaning to build the value of my treasure chest, so I took Lydia to investigate these claims. We had stayed the night in Markarth after delivering a purchase agreement to the Inns owner, and took to the road headed north and east towards solitude. It was a nice day during Evening Star, the sun shining ice blue off the snow covered peaks and our pace was unhurried.

Karthwasten is a small town situated around a operating mine, owned by a local man named Ainethach, who reputes to be the only non-Nord owner of a mine in the province. As Lydia and I upped the hill into town, we found a group of men shouting heated words at each other. I was quick to notice one group was much more heavily armed than their counterparts, and my hand unconsciously found it's way to the hilt of my sword. I'm not one to encroach on the conversations of others, but I did manage to pick up some vague threats being thrown around. As the group dispersed, I approached the lightly armed 'locals' (I figured they would be safer to approach after the emotions stirred up) and queried as to the problem they were having. Ainethach spoke up and informed me that the men who he had been arguing with were members of a mercenary band who had been sent by the Silver-Blood family to force the locals into signing over ownership rights of the mine. They had taken up residence inside the mine, and were not allowing workers to produce the valuable ore. The village members pleaded with Lydia and I to provide assistance, and I took pity upon them, for they were vastly out matched in capabilities of war.

I wish I could give a grand tale of the battle that ensued. Truth be told, Lydia and I were looked at with great apprehension and some measure of fear by the 'warriors' whom had taken over the mine. I couldn't be sure, but I would suspect some of these 'men' were mere boys, and could not have seen much of battle in their lives. I was not looking for a fight, so I was thankful in the thought that this may not end in bloodshed. Elven metal can really hold a blood stain, and I had little desire to spend an evening washing out my armor.

The leader of the group called himself Atar, and of all the warriors he had with him, he was the only who appeared to know the inevitable result of a swinging blade. I spoke with him as an equal, not attempting to belittle or ridicule him or his men. This courtesy was not returned, and Atar made threats and posturing towards Lydia and I. I quickly changed my tone, and made it clear in no uncertain terms that the men could leave willingly, or they could leave with their heads in their hands. I could see Atar wanted to stand firm and rebute this challenge, but from the looks on the face of his men he quickly changed his mind. I negotiated one silver ingot for each member of his band, and let them leave the mine peacefully. No blood was shed that day. It was a good day.

Ainethach was thankful for the quick, and non-bloody, resolution to his problem. I had intended to spend a week or more mining the rich silver veins when I did not know there was an owner to the claim. Ainethach allowed me to mine all the ore Lydia and I could carry, and made promises to allow me to come and resupply at any time I wished. The village was set in a beautiful part of the hold of Markarth, and I found plenty reason to accept his invitation. I returned home with enough ore to make 15 silver ingots, adding quite a bit of worth to my depleted coffers.

Pendalyn

Very Dangerous Nobody
15th Evening Star. 4E 201.

Today was a very rainy day. The kind of dull grey day that can make even the vivid lights of the north seem pale and lacking. A day when even the great Throat of the World seemed to be short of voice. A good day for books by the fire, and some of Lydia's home brewed mead.

I'll remember that for the next time we have such a day. Can't be too far away, this is Skyrim after all.

By noon, I had hammered out some of the mounting dents in Lydia's armor, while improving the cut of the under layer so she wouldn't rub as much in the shoulder. She had been complaining for weeks about that, and I do not like to see her in discomfort. I polished the rough and chopped edges of that beautiful ebony blade I made her last spring, and restrung and re-wrapped my favorite bow. Elrindir had sent word he received a shipment of glass arrows, and I wanted to be sure the bow was in top shape.

I was out and about picking up some supplies when I noticed 2 very disturbing things. First, Old man Battle-born was checking out the dead body of one of the cultists we had killed a moon cycle previous, and he was examining her in a most peculiar way. I cannot say it was natural, for it did not make me comfortable as a woman, or as one still gifted with life! I have seen the man in a whole new way now. There will be discussions about this, you can be assured.

Secondly, and more disturbing me thinks, is the fact that the dead and bloated bodies of these cultists still litter the street. These are dead rotting corpses just steps from my front door, and they have yet to be removed even though we are now in Evening Star! I will have stern words with Proventus about this, as I cannot tolerate neither the stench nor the insult any longer.

By the time my errands were done (both personal and guild related) it was evening time. Lydia and I were intending to travel to Markarth but decided instead to stay home. I cooked a lovely meal of roasted rabbit, leeks, vegetable soup and an apple pie for desert. My cooking skills are improving, and judging from the increased pudge on the front of Lydias belly, I would say I'm right. I finished the night with a few readings from the library and retired for the night. Gonna hop the wagon to Riften tomorrow to deliver the nirnroot to Ingun, and visit the guild.

Pendalyn

Very Dangerous Nobody
did some of these happen in actual gameplay?

All of it. These are all things I do in game, then add a bit of flavor to make it readable. I hope that some people who read it catch on to the quests they talk about. The story above was just a random day in the life of skyrim, but the one before was the quest given by the Ainetatch guy when you go to Karwasten. I just embelished a bit more story into it. Practicing my creative writing. I've written a bunch of these down, so i'm kinda putting bits and pieces out there.

By incorporating my back story and my personal RPG style, I can talk in the first person, in character. This is less fan 'fiction' because i'm not making up stories or characters, just giving it some character.

Pendalyn

Very Dangerous Nobody
I like how your writing is short and to the point. Sometimes it's tough to keep a story from dragging on when you have so many ideas in your noggin, but you do it effectively.

Appreciate it. Sentence structure is the key. Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Pendalyn

Very Dangerous Nobody
I spoke with Nurelion at his shop today, while I was picking up some dried fish for one of my poisons. He was engaged in a conversation with his assistant about a ancient vial that he had hoped to posses in his life, but feared he would be unable too in his frailty. His description of the vial was astounding, a magical creation from before time that would automagically refill itself at the turn of the day. What a trick!!

The old man described to me the efforts of his searches over the years, and gave me the location that he believed the vial rested. I must admit, I was deeply intrigued, both as a student of history and as an amateur alchemist. Nurelion has given me deals, and suggestions for improvements to my mixes. I have a bit of a soft spot for the old man, and I agreed to take on his endeavor. Either way I figured, I would gain some treasure from my adventure or I witness a true artifact of the realm.

As we headed west on the roading leading out of Windhelm towards Anga's Mill, I marveled to Lydia the beauty of the day. This was one of those frost days of Evening Star, when the nip at your nose reminds the rest of your covered meat suit how lucky it is. This was the kind of day when random snowflakes blow across your vision, as if un-threatened by a clear blue sky. We passed a nomadic bard on the road, but he refused to sing my favorite tune. A rather salty and disgruntled character he was.

The short walk from Anga's mill to the cave which Nurelion labeled as holding his prize, was punctuated by an unprovoked attack from a mage, who had hidden himself in the rocks by the side of the road. I was quick to recognize his features as Breton, and my heart sank to the depths of the hells of Akatosh. Immediately my thoughts returned to that cold night when I last saw my brothers, my home, and my father. Had my past finally caught up with me? In an instant I decided I didn't want to ask the mage about his origins, and instead set Lydia on him. I won't take chances with my safety, or my freedom, and Lydia's sword edge can be quite the equalizer.

Still wiping our blades of Breton blood, we arrived at the cave. From the decorations outside, Lydia and I identified this as a burial tomb, and we readied ourselves for the un-natural that we would inevitably find inside. We would not be disappointed, as this complex was crawling with Drauger of many strengths, and their skeleton keepers. I had brought J'zargo's scrolls with me, as he had asked I test them on the undead.

Lydia had a surprisingly angry and threatening response to my initiation of the chant which starts the fire cloak spell. I stopped my incantation, and gently talked her sword hilt back into it's sheath. I reminded her of her claims of fealty, and I noticed her demeanor soften. Lydia is a very good woman, a wonderful companion, and very set in her ways. She has never really been comfortable with my magic displays, and her understanding of the dragon words I speak is as limited as mine. I don't blame her much for stopping me short in my spell. The damn thing would take your life, as well as your enemies, and I can't imagine she appreciated being roasted each time I wanted to experiment.

We came upon the vial at the deepest depths of the burial complex, and only after defeating a large number of powerful magic users and dragon speakers. A curious thing it was, simple yet elegant, small enough to fit in a tunic pocket, yet touted to automagically refill itself daily. The vial appeared to be made of some white stone or glass I had never seen before, so I could not pinpoint it's origins. There were deep fissures in the structure, which made me suspect it was quite fragile, but I was able to handle it and it felt rather sturdy. I wrapped it carefully in a snow fox pelt, and packed it neatly in my satchel for the return trip to Nurelion.

He was pretty excited to see this thing. His eyes lit up like torchbugs on a summers eve, and he was awed at its simplistic beauty. He spoke for a bit, and showed concern about it's cracks, though I think he will find it works as well as he had hoped. I spoke with his assistant on the way out, and he confirmed my suspicion of Nurelions happiness with his artifact. I returned home, satisfied I had helped a good friend.

Pendalyn

Very Dangerous Nobody
I'm thinking this is starting to edge on fan fiction? It's all in game, following actions done by my character and others, so I'm not sure it fits there. This just seems like it's passing the realm of 'general discussion'.

Mods... if you must.

jarif

I'm thinking this is starting to edge on fan fiction? It's all in game, following actions done by my character and others, so I'm not sure it fits there. This just seems like it's passing the realm of 'general discussion'.

Mods... if you must.

just do it anyway

Pendalyn

Very Dangerous Nobody
OOC: Long story ahead.

28th Evening Star 4E 201

Igmund, the pompous Jarl of Markarth, unexpectedly asked for my assistance today. By his insulting assessment of my chosen path as a sword for hire, I half considered ending our conversation mid sentence with a sharp blade through his throat. He needed help in clearing a band of Forsworn from a cave were they had holed up. I was reluctant at first, as I've come across a few of those savages who are imbued with powers from those most foul Hagravens they commune with. Un-natural strength these few posses, and magic skills to boot.

It took some prodding, but I was able to discern that these particular Forsworn were implicated in the death of the Jarls father. The Jarl asked that I return to him, if possible, the shield which bore his family crest. The shield had been taken from his father when he was killed, and as yet, no champion of the hold had been able to return it. I understood this plea. To this day I still carry my fathers amulet, the one he gave me on that cold night when my life changed. If I had lost it, I would stop at nothing to get it back, so the Jarls request rang deep in me. He warned me gravely, that this band of Forsworn were known to favor a Hagraven in their midst.

Lydia and I set out shortly there after, to first find the man who had killed Igmunds Father. Our hope was to learn the location of the main camp, and hopefully the location of the shield, from him. The Divines must have felt my apprehension and fear. As if by magic, Esbern and Delphine rounded a bend on the road in front of us, just as I was considering my final will. They had been very near to finding the entrance to the temple which housed Alduins wall, and had been going to Markarth to send word for me to meet them. I asked, and they agreed to go with us to Dragon Bridge. I was thankful for the company, and more confident in the potential success of my task.

I shall note here, I do not believe in coincidence.

We crossed the Karth just east of Dragon Bridge and began our search of the mountains on the east bank of the river. We had assumed the killer would be holed up somewhere fortified, as there was a thousand septim price on their head. The search took some time and we 'interrogated' more than a few of these Forsworn rebellions. Eventually we came on a small cave which was guarded by just a few of the savage women. Make no mistake, the woman are as deadly as the men, and even more cunning. If one was to judge simply from the outside resistance, we did not suspect we would find the culprit inside. For luck we had, and for bad luck this was one of the foulest of the movement. Briar hearts are renown for their gifted abilities, and are little to be trifled with. We chose to use the advantage of surprise, and with quick arrows I felled the body guard who was with him. The murderer ran to the exit, only to find that Lydia was there, and was more than up to the task of dispensing justice. She danced rather nimbly in her heavy armor, and used that ebony blade to deliver precise thrusts and slashes. In minutes, the half dead man was fully done and his remaining life force left his body.

We were not able to surmise the location of the shield from the man before Lydia struck him down. This only meant our task was more difficult, and we were hardened in our resolve to complete the Jarl's request. We returned to Dragon bridge to rest our bodies, tend to our wounds and make a plan of attack to hunt down the rest of the Forsworn camps in search of the shield.

This part of the realm is abundant with flowering plants, and as we left Dragon bridge I helped myself to several varieties that I used in my brews. It was a fine star lit evening, with a dull light less moon in the sky. We set out on the road north, then made our way west through the highlands. As soon as we crossed that invisible barrier that marks the high lands from the river valley, a storm rolled over us. Snow flakes as big as my eye were falling, and the sky looked as if it had been swallowed up by an angry, gray beast. We struggled westward, using the sparse vegetation and nooks in the rock to escape the onslaught of wind and snow.

It was in this maelstrom that a peculiar event happened. On a couple of occasions I have heard this voice in my head, belonging to an unknown woman. I know, this makes me sound as if Akatosh has taken my brains, but I swear these voices to be as real as yours or mine. The voice spoke of a forgotten worship, and the boon which is bestowed on those who worship. She told me to come to her altar, though I saw nothing through the thick blowing snow. The first such occasion this happened I had just pilfered a small white stone from a house. The voice told me to return this stone to a place far away, as it belonged to her, and I would be rewarded. At the second happenstance, I was solving a curiosity about some claims that Balgruuf's son had made. I was down in the cellars of Dragons reach when I found a secret door behind the provisions through which voice bade me to enter. As I did, for what reason I don't know, I found an empty room save one table with a long ebony blade laid on it. The voice in my head told me to take the blade and thanked me. The malevolent woman told me the sword would increase in power when used for deceit. This last part made my blood curl.

Do I possess such demons inside me truly? Are these the demons my father had mentioned, now joined the hunt for my blood? I had hoped this was only a fable, a story meant to keep me sharp. It is now a tale that haunts my every waking moment.

There was a strange aura to this place, confirmed by the desperate hunter we came across running through the woods. She was in bad shape, cut and scraped, and was begging for a potion to cure a vampire affliction! I had not known vampires came this far east, and I had never seen one myself. We had been taught how to dispose of them growing up in High Rock, as a result of the wars fought with the vampire clans. I hadn't considered my traveling troupe in a while, but I found comfort in the added company of Esbern and Delphine at this time. We gave her a potion and she thanked us. I may have missed the hint in the haste of her departure.

Just past Clearpine pond, we came across two spriggans battling a troll. I promise this not to be the start of some bad bardic comedy. Esbern deemed it wisest to dispose of all the beasts in this uncanny sight, least they turn on us, so we set on them with sword and spell. There was little resistance, and I was able to harvest some roots and some fat for my alchemy. This place had a strange energy flowing through it, as if the forgotten Daedra had claimed it as their home. I have labeled this area as 'Den of Meridia', as she is the only such being I know of, and the nicest from what I hear.

We came to a Forsworn encampment nestled inside the ruins of an old fort. Had it not been for the half naked savages eagerly trying to kill me and my companions, the site would have been marvelously historic. Esbern, from the midst of his incantations of fire joked that we must have hit the jackpot, an indication to the likelihood of the foul bird lady's presence. Some of the savages ran at us with their stone and bone weapons, some stayed back and showered us with those fearsome arrows. Magic sizzled and crackled and burned its way through the chorus of chants, orders and chaos. I had taken perch high on a ledge over looking the battle, using my position to effectively place my glass arrows deep in the skulls and between the shoulders of our foes. The Briar heart warriors of the Forsworn were not as formidable as I remember, or perhaps the countless hours of practice have hardened Lydia to such a point. The combination of arrows and magic complimented the skill of her sword well, and quickly the forces outside the fort ruins fell.

Entering the ancient place only made us feel more cold and more damp and more anxious to leave, and return to a warm hearth and a cold mead. We finally ran across the Hagraven and her witches, deep in the dungeons of the disused keep. Being Breton has always had it's advantages, and I took the opportunity to teach these mages what it felt like to cast a useless spell. Several times the hag queen dissolved into the place between places to make her escape. You should have seen the old birds face when her spells did little to slow my blade, as I neatly and efficiently carved up her ancient skin.

Up and up we climbed, chasing our prey and felling her would be protectors. Esbern and Delphine handled attacks from a ranged position, offering fireballs and arrows in great number and to great effect. Lydia and I charged ahead, with one swinging sword while the other advanced with shield to block. Finally we chased the old crone on to the cliffs edge that served as the forts highest observation point. Here, my sword and Delphine's arrows sent the repentant mutation over the edge, landing gruesomely on the rocks below.

Having avenged the death of the Jarl's father, and having located the shield which bore his family's crest, we headed back to Markarth. We were weary, and tired, and that darn Elven metal would take hours to clear of the stains. It was late afternoon by the time we arrived at the gates of the great city in the mountain. The long journey by foot had grown a deep pain in our bellies, and a sour distemper needing of a good bath. We retired to my home in Markarth for the night, and returned to the Jarl in the morning.

I'm becoming fond of this house. I may have to spend some time here decorating.

Pendalyn

Very Dangerous Nobody
5th Morning Star

I got caught up in a rather bizzare predicament the other day. A Breton named Eltrys, living in Markarth, beconed me to meet him at the temple of Talos. I had remembered him from the square, the day that Forsworn agent murdered that poor woman. I think my contempt for such actions is what drove me to solve my curiosity, and answer Eltrys' call.

He was waiting for me in the temple, with a tale of conspiracy and intrigue that was straight out of an Imperial political thriller. Eltrys told me that the Forsworn were running the city, with the backing of the deep and filthy pockets of the Silver-bloods. He begged me to help him find out more info on a couple of his friends who seemed to have been swept up in the turmoil created between the Forsworn and the citizens of Markarth. I agree to search for some information, for Eltrys seemed quite distraught, and I longed in a small way to make my fellow countryman happy. My first stop was a surely, and plain rude, Thonar Silver-blood.

I pretty much got the run around from ol' boy, so I went to search the rooms of the people Eltrys had mentioned. I found the murdered womans diary, which hinted that she may have been involved in the potential sale of the Cidhna mine. Her last entry hinted she may have been harrased, presumably by the Silver-blood clan (who owned the mine). I had my suspicions at this point, and was begining to get uncomfortable with the path this simple information gathering mission was heading.

I quickly returned to the temple to share my findings with Eltry,with the intention of leaving town immediatly after. Seems my luck has run thin lately. As I entered the temple I saw a bloody form laying on the alter at the bottom of the stairs. I quickly and quietly drew my blade from its resting place at my side, and started slowly down the stairs. Before I reached the bottom, 3 of the city guard appear from around pilars in the holy temple. Their threats weighed little on me, and their consternation when telling me of their Forsworn allegiance let me know they knew their words were hollow. I was angered at this point, as they continued their threats. Lydia and I were moments from separating their heads from their backsides, when they mentioned the "King" of the Forsworn. I saw an opportunity to kill a few birds with less stones.

Please forgive the pun. I met this Forsworn "King", and was less than impressed by him or his merry band of degenerates.

For all the talk about Cidhna mine being the most secure prison in Skyrim, it took me all of 15 minutes to convince the help to let me see the "King". As I was heading down a hallway to see him, I noticed a locked gate which appeared to enter the ruins and caverns on which Markarth was built. The "King" spoke of the Forsworn struggle, and I heard the tales of the criminals inhabiting the mine. I was un-moved by their tales and found myself caring little for their movement.

They are a brutal bunch, these Forsworn. I held back from expressing my opinion of them, the sheer numbers were not in my favor. One of the men in the mine had evidently outlived his usefulness, and was dispatched ruthlessly. I tagged along with the murderers as they escaped out into the city, using the tunnel I had noticed earlier. The guard, with that offensive Silver-blood, were waiting for them at the exit.

I won't get into details, but what ensued was bloody and loud and violent. The Forsworn, with their "King" in the lead, set on the Silver-blood and his constabulary of city guard. I snuck around the fighters and met Lydia at the city gate. I decided it is best to avoid Markarth for a time. Hopefully it won't take long for the memory of me and my association with the escapee's to fade, and I can return to decorate my house.

Pendalyn

Very Dangerous Nobody
I have been meaning to add to this, as I have a few more stories written down but not edited. I have been spending a lot of time over at DC forums reviewing and editing lore for High Rock project (unofficially) and I'm without a monitor to play on right now, so once those two things are rectified I'll post a few more stories here for your entertainment.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts