Xbox 360 Patch 1.6 reviews

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

nomorepork

That was a left at Dragonbridge, right?
My old saves won't load!!!

There looks to be some definite data read/corruption issues with older save files. Most of mine load, but I discovered that several seem to try really hard not to. And even with the ones that I can get running, there are video stability glitches when performing certain tasks, like with first-person shouts or blade battle moves. Third-person views seem to have less jumpy video.

In general I can move around the Skyrim map free of the game freezing up. Traveling in the Rift region was always the section of the map that gave me the most problems, even long before the freezes began. Now there are fewer hesitations when the software is reading from the disc or Xbox drive, and when there are pauses they're shorter in duration and the video stoppages are not as jerky as before.

That said, all is not perfect with the 1.6 upgrade. I managed to get the game to freeze once again, this time just east of Helgen when I tried to enter the Stormcloak camp. I was heading back to Riften on foot at the time and decided to stop in to see if there was a horse that I could, ahem, 'borrow'. The freeze took care of that idea. Also with several interior map load-ups the black load screen looked as if it was going to freeze, momentarily pause, then finally proceeded with the load. Very sketchy.

I've been selling off a lot of my hoard of stuff as quickly as I can to see if a smaller database for the game to manage makes any difference, but it's tough. I blow through The Riverwood Trader's available 10,000+ gold like it was nothing, then go on another quest and, BOOM, a ton more stuff to sell (I can't help it, I'm a wild and crazy hoarding looter...). Not enough shopkeepers with plenty of septums, despite all of the investing money I've tossed about all over Skyrim. It's even worse now that I can sell stolen loot pretty much everywhere, thanks to all of my 'investing'...

One 'problem' I had hoped 1.6 would have cleared up was the dead Blood Dragon carcass that shows up/seems to fall out of the sky whenever I go into a town in the eastern half Skyrim map. Harmless but annoying.

Side note rant: I REALLY wish those damn dragons would stop attacking, particularly the Ancients; I had hoped that their activity would die down after I killed off Alduin. Now all they do is come around at the most inconvenient time and kill NPCs and key related quest characters. Riverwood is virtually a ghost town thanks to all of the dragon attacks (apparently even attacking when I'm not actually in town or nearby--one visit, plenty of guards; the very next time through, all gone...and now more than half the residents are dead on top of that). It was rather depressing when I started a new character and game while waiting for 1.6 to come and be brutally reminded of how many NPCs there are in Riverwood at the very start of gameplay. Most of them that are now gone I didn't even see die in my original master quest.

Plus, I've already got 50+ dragon souls in the 'bank', and it's been ages since I've come across an unclaimed word wall.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
This is the most thorough feedback I've seen about 1.6 so I've moved it to its own thread so people can see it more easily. I also retitled it. Thank you for sharing this info.

MoulinRouge

Some of my Saves load now. My higher-level ones don't though. It always loads forever and then just freezes. Other than that the patch seems fine. I still had one crash happen when I fast traveled, but other than that this patch seems to be working well.

nomorepork

Some of my Saves load now. My higher-level ones don't though. It always loads forever and then just freezes. Other than that the patch seems fine. I still had one crash happen when I fast traveled, but other than that this patch seems to be working well.

Good to hear that at least some of your earlier gameplay is still available to you.

Last night I managed to freeze the game once again, this time in Riften when trying to leave the Jarl's residence. I quit playing right after this (amazing how time flies and how late it gets when playing). I suspect that I'll have to re-launch the game from an earlier save point, if this freeze-up behaves just like earlier pre-1.6 freezes. I'll find out tonight when I start playing again.

Renji

Idk if its just me but every time i try and make a new character with this patch now it always freezes for about a minute, at least, after Hadvar asks "Who are you?" I deleted the file then made new ones bet it kept doing the same thing...it doesnt completely feeze but i hate waiting for it to load especially when it took 15 minutes one time. And its not my disc its completely scratch-free and no fingerprints or anything.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
I wonder if it's a game cache issue. How many saved games do you have? I know an inordinate amount of those can slow you down too.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
FYI - I have read several posts on Nexus stating that the full 1.6 patch wrecks most animation mods.

Medea

The Shadow Queen
Since getting the 1.6 patch I've noticed more freezing, and graphical glitches too. Sometimes when I'm jumping, executing a power attack, or sprinting, the bottom section of my display warps and wiggles. I'm REALLY getting fed-up with all these broken updates.

nomorepork

Update: no further freezing (so far), but I've been on a steady diet shedding my massive hoard of stuff, and making sure that I carry far less when I'm frolicking along the pathways of Skyrim. Seems very much like this is indeed helping (fingers crossed). I could sure use a couple more Riverwood Trading Posts (with its customary available 10,751 gold) scattered around Skyrim, though...

My biggest problem seems have been with my 'addiction' to arrows; they weigh nothing, right? So I just scarf them up like a crazed Dyson vac on steroids. Well, there's really no purpose in collecting those things to the point where I was carrying 1500 to 4000 of almost all types (only the Daedra arrow count was less @ only at a few hundred). Once I settled on 2 or 3 types that I use the most, cut those carry inventory amounts down to 1/2 or 1/3, and stored or sold off the rest, the stability of manual travel for my character improved greatly. Also helping is stowing away extra potions and excess empty soul gems, or just selling them off. The gameplay is still not "perfect", because the occasional blackened load screen will still momentarily grey the level status bar as if it's going to freeze before finally proceeding with the next map load, but Skyrim travel loads are definitely better than even what I was experiencing previously just after the 1.6 push, including my once-dreaded traveling in the SE quadrant of the map.

Renji

I wonder if it's a game cache issue. How many saved games do you have? I know an inordinate amount of those can slow you down too.
I don't have any characters right now they are all deleted. But now when i make new ones it freezes at that part. I delete, make character, then it freezes. And i keep doing this but same thing happens :sadface: But I must admit that i tend to make a new character like every two weeks and keep the files. But they are all deleted now.

Dallas-Arbiter

Good thing I read this before downloading the patch. I think I'll skip this one, and all the rest until a good patch comes out, even if that means skipping all the DLC's. I got enough freezes and crashes already, and quite a few animation mods. I'm not getting burned again.

Straumgald

I'm still playing a completely unpatched version, I have zero bugs. Is there any benefit really to getting the patches? Seems people have more problems after the 'fixes'. Not even sure what they were supposed to fix.

OmNomNombies

Let me show you my cats.
Is there anyone who has experienced this bug that can confirm for me that it has been cleared up with 1.6? If so, does it go into effect retroactively or will I need to reroll?

** Edited by Rayven. The link wasn't working but here is the text that this member is looking for.**

To anyone who has experienced a bug where loot will respawn in cleared areas but enemies no longer respawn

MoulinRouge

Finally my old game(my level 68 character) will load. And shadowmere finally respawned. I haven't tried to test to see if its still playable yet (cause the save is considered bloated), but I will.