Passive leveling for Alteration

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Strategos

Good evening. This is my first post on the forum although I have been lurking here for quite some time now. I'll start with a brief introduction then launch into my question.

I've been playing Skyrim since it was first released (had it pre-ordered) and completely enjoy it. This is probably one of my favorite games and forums like these help drive my interest. I'm am a console player (Xbox 360) so vanilla only for me. I don't have any favorite styles or races. Changing things up helps keep things interesting for me.

Regarding my question; I am currently playing a character that is melee oriented and does not use any magic (only exception being shouts). Since I still want to take advantage of certain perks, I have been utilizing a trainer to increase my Alteration. I maxed out at 75 Alteration with the expert trainer in Kynesgrove and noticed something unusual with the skill. The progress bar for Alteration was about halfway filled. I am confused by this since I do not have any Alteration spells nor have I used magic at all.

This makes me wonder if there is a passive way to level up Alteration that I am not aware of. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Being that I want to avoid casting spells; I would also like to avoid having to join the College of Winterhold. I realize that not joining the college means losing out on access to the master trainer in Alteration, which is why I am interested in finding a "non-magical" method of leveling Alteration. I have heard that standing in the fire of a forge or blocking with a torch helps level Destruction. Could there be a similar type of leveling method for Alteration?

For reference; I am a Breton and have used the Dragonskin greater power a number of times. I have unlocked/used the Unrelenting Force and Whirlwind Spring shouts. I also used to be a werewolf, using that a handful of times before cleansing myself. I have the starting spells as a Breton but have never used them.

Any assistance that anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Parselmagic

I'm not sure why the alteration bar would be half full if you have never actually cast an alteration spell... I have never heard of a passive way to level alteration, though perhaps you have found one.

As for the second part of your question, the only way to level a skill without trainers or actually using the skill is through skill books. Though you could cast a flesh spell in addition to wearing your normal armor when you fight, just for leveling purposes. If you really don't want to cast a single spell, I would recommend using the Oghma Infinium, especially if you can use the glitch to use it multiple times.

Strategos

I'm not sure why the alteration bar would be half full if you have never actually cast an alteration spell... I have never heard of a passive way to level alteration, though perhaps you have found one.

As for the second part of your question, the only way to level a skill without trainers or actually using the skill is through skill books. Though you could cast a flesh spell in addition to wearing your normal armor when you fight, just for leveling purposes. If you really don't want to cast a single spell, I would recommend using the Oghma Infinium, especially if you can use the glitch to use it multiple times.

Thank you Parselmagic. Yes the Oghma Infinium was likely going to be a source of boosting my Alteration. Although I was wanting to train up to level 90 then rely on that and skill books (using the Scholar's Insight perk). The +5 from Oghma, the +4 from skill books, and then another +1 from maybe the Bard's College quest would take me from 90 to 100 to unlock the spell absorbing perk.

Since the Kynesgrove trainer only takes me up to 75, I was hoping to find an alternate source of passively increasing Alteration w/o joining the Mage College or tapping into the books until I reach 90. Hence my interest in finding an alternate source of leveling the skill.

Since your post, I am pleased to say that I think I identified the reason why my Alteration was partially leveled even though I haven't used any spells from that discipline. Up until recently, I had always assumed that skill trainers simply added +1 to the level of the skill and that was that. It seems that what actually happens is they give you enough experience to take you to the next level.

This may seem like a minor thing but I happened to have the Mage Standing Stone active at the time of my trainings, as well as the possibility of resting bonuses too. What I think is happening is that the skill experience that the trainer gives you is affected by any experience enhancing perks. The additional +10% mage skill xp bonus is probably responsible for increasing my Alteration slightly. The interesting part is that this phenomenon is applicable for all types of skill trainers, not just Alteration or mage skills.

This fact may have been obvious to many people already but I thought I'd share my newly learned information for those that don't know. Sorry about the long posts too. It's a bad habit of mine.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts