• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
I'm not sure why you quoted me and said this. It's already covered in my post...
Just being more explicit how it works. Agreeing with you, and adding to the language for clarity.

Mage Armor doesn't even work if you wear any armor with the exception of a few odd items due to incorrect coding. In addition, the hard cap of 80% is for physical damage resistance which covers both armor and alteration protection spells. If you're armor rating is already above 567 with four pieces of armor on, Alteration flesh spells and Dragonskin do nothing to improve your damage resistance.
Not the Perks, which he didn't pick, but the actual spells.

That's not how spell absorption works. It's all or nothing. The percentage value represents the chance that you'll block all damage.
Right, and like I said, of the 20% which does get through, stacking Magic, and Elemental resistance can lower the remaining damage to a few percent. First SA soaks up what it can, then MR blocks a percentage of what gets through, then Elemental Resistance (If the proper element) blocks a portion of what gets through, and isn't blocked by broad MR. That's why I call it Layered, instead of Stacked.

So, for instance, Elemental Protection is Resist Fire/Frost/Shock, so with the Shield of Ysgramor, you'd think this would Stack to 70% Instead, the shield first lowers it by 20%, then Elementsl Protection reduces the remaining 80% by half, leaving 40% to get through. It does stack with Otar to 80%. Then, the Shield of Ysgramor's 20% Magic Resistance could be stacked with the Lord, and Alteration Perks for 85%. You can actually reach this level of Magical Defense without Enchanting, if you use the Lord, and Alteration Perks. That leaves the rest of your slots open for whatever else you want.

I'm not arguing with you, nor anyone else. I'm discussing all the various options so he can pick, and chose between them.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Not the Perks, which he didn't pick, but the actual spells.
The spells still do nothing for him once his armor rating caps physical damage resistance. You made it sound as if one can break the 80% cap on physical damage resistance attained by armor by casting Flesh spells which isn't true. If you cast Dragonskin over 4 pieces of armor that give an armor rating of 567 the physical damage resistance will still be 80% not 98%.
Right, and like I said, of the 20% which does get through....First SA soaks up what it can....
Again that is not how spell absorption works. It either absorbs ALL damage or NONE. If you have 80% spell absorption, it means you have an 80% chance of blocking all spell damage. Otherwise you block no damage at all and then your magic resistance applies to reduce a percentage of the damage and then your elemental damage resistance applies its percentage to the remaining amount of damage. If you have both those capped (the cap is 85% for both) the net resistance is 97.75%.

The spells still do nothing for him once his armor rating caps physical damage resistance. You made it sound as if one can break the 80% cap on physical damage resistance attained by armor by casting Flesh spells which isn't true. If you cast Dragonskin over 4 pieces of armor that give an armor rating of 567 the physical damage resistance will still be 80% not 98%.

Again that is not how spell absorption works. It either absorbs ALL damage or NONE. If you have 80% spell absorption, it means you have an 80% chance of blocking all spell damage. Otherwise you block no damage at all and then your magic resistance applies to reduce a percentage of the damage and then your elemental damage resistance applies its percentage to the remaining amount of damage. If you have both those capped (the cap is 85% for both) the net resistance is 97.75%.
Yeah, that's what I was saying. And I've gotten my damage resistance up higher than 80% using Alteration spells. It does work, though I can only estimate the percentile from damage taken before, and after casting. Have you actuslly playtested this, or are you simply repeating what you've read?

Another layer that's counted Before armor is Block. However much you stop with your shield, whatever's left is reduced by Armor. The 80% cap only applies to damage reduction from Armor.

lonewolf

They have the best Resto bonus, abd a head start on the rest of the skills. You can also set the sliders to make them look rather Arabic. I pretty much prefer Redguard for the sole reason of their Daily Power. Calm 1nce per day might fit with the build better, though.
i figuered the calming power is better since it creates peace which seems to with a paladin, playing as a nord or redguard is just as good to though :)

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Yeah, that's what I was saying. And I've gotten my damage resistance up higher than 80% using Alteration spells. It does work, though I can only estimate the percentile from damage taken before, and after casting. Have you actuslly playtested this, or are you simply repeating what you've read?
I've tested this with the Flesh spells before as have numerous other players. Flesh spells don't break the physical damage resistance cap. Are you playing on game console? If you are then you should realize you have no accurate method to measure damage or damage resistance and that relying on visual perception of changes in your health bar is an extremely flawed, inaccurate and unreliable way to measure the metrics of damage and damage resistance. If you aren't playing on a gaming console then I don't understand why you wouldn't bothered to test this accurately using console commands yourself before posting anything claiming to the contrary.

Aside from that common sense would dictate that since the effect of flesh spells is apparent from the increase in displayed armor rating that they work under the exact same mechanics as armor in reducing physical damage and therefore share the same limitations.

That being said, today I discovered something interesting about the physical damage resistance of Dragonhide which I had never tested before (and apparently no one at Skyrim UESP Wiki had tested either). I've already posted my findings on the discussion pages there for the articles on Armor, Alteration skill and Alteration spells and I've also posted them here at this site tonight.

I've tested this with the Flesh spells before as have numerous other players. Flesh spells don't break the physical damage resistance cap. Are you playing on game console? If you are then you should realize you have no accurate method to measure damage or damage resistance and that relying on visual perception of changes in your health bar is an extremely flawed, inaccurate and unreliable way to measure the metrics of damage and damage resistance. If you aren't playing on a gaming console then I don't understand why you wouldn't bothered to test this accurately using console commands yourself before posting anything claiming to the contrary.

Aside from that common sense would dictate that since the effect of flesh spells is apparent from the increase in displayed armor rating that they work under the exact same mechanics as armor in reducing physical damage and therefore share the same limitations.

That being said, today I discovered something interesting about the physical damage resistance of Dragonhide which I had never tested before (and apparently no one at Skyrim UESP Wiki had tested either). I've already posted my findings on the discussion pages there for the articles on Armor, Alteration skill and Alteration spells and I've also posted them here at this site tonight.
Well, I went to the skill menu, and looked at the number under Health. Then, I quickloaded, took the same hit with dual cast Ebonyflesh, and looked again. I don't remember the exact numbers, because I stopped playing capped out defense build months ago out of boredom. I also tested shields, and magic resistance in similar ways. For all I know, they've patched it by now, and all of this is obsolete, but it did work, consistantly with multiple testings.

[edit]Just read the artical, and not having a highly armored character any more to test it, I have to assume they patched it. I haven't tested this since before 1.5, so I retract al prior statements about _flesh spells being counted before physical armor. Thank you for the correction.[/e]

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts