• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

L-Tolstoy

Looking to make a paladin kind of build.. but with conjuration also..

So basically:

Heavy Armor
1-Handed
Shield
Restoration
Conjuration (Twin souls)

Im stuck on which race to pick and how to distribute Mana / Health / Stamina :sadface:

Any help or guidance appreciated folks!

The man

I am the man. I am everything...
well..... a paladin build is kinda hard cause you have to distribute points almost evenly in all 3 slots: mana/health/stamina. however i would recommend that you distribute mostly to stamina and mana, with most in mana. like for every 5 level ups, you put 2 points in mana, 2 in stamina and 1 for health. the reason i am saying this is because you will heavy armor AND a shield so you quite some defense against attacks. other than that one of your main attributes is gonna be restoration so health is the thing you need to be least worried about. stamina is pretty darn important cause you use shields and heavy armor plus you will probably be using power attacks. lastly the most important attribute is mana.after you are level 70 you should start increasing only mana as conjuration requires large amount of mana. other then that be sure to choose only specific conjuration spells to use and specific conjuration perks such as no use for duel conjuration OR duel restoration for that matter.
PS: i would recommend,however, to drop conjuration and take up some other tree such as alteration because it will make for a more interesting build and suit a paladin much much more. i mean lets face it. summoning daedra from oblivion isnt exactly what a warrior of light would DO. eh?

Falmer19

well, you could due a dark paladin type and take up necromancy, or even a paladin for the daedra. ALso I would just recommend 1/1/1 in Health magic and stamina until about 250 in everything, then just magic and health.

The man

well, you could due a dark paladin type and take up necromancy, or even a paladin for the daedra. ALso I would just recommend 1/1/1 in Health magic and stamina until about 250 in everything, then just magic and health.
good idea, but to follow that idea is gonna be hard in the beginning. plus i strongly believe that a paladin doesn't really need that much health.

Falmer19

good idea, but to follow that idea is gonna be hard in the beginning. plus i strongly believe that a paladin doesn't really need that much health.
well, depending on what difficulty, it can be pretty necessary.

A paladin of whom? Paladins are religious crusaders (It was originally a Persian word, so read that as Jihad.) which generally means association with one of the Gods/daedra. If you're summoning, and consorting with Daedra, or a Necromancer, then wouldn't that be more of an Anti-paladin?

I'd go with the Targe of the Blooded, and whatever spell you have at hand. Also Spellbreaker meshes well with Restoration using Ward Absorb as a Magicka source. As usual, I suggest Heavy Armor around Robes, (This really helps with the Stamina problems because the Body is the heaviest piece.) Plate and up still gives reasonable protection once you get up to Deflect Arrows, and use Block/Bash tactics in a melee. With your skillset, you'll want to stay outside it casting in, but that's the plan, it doesn't always turn out that way. Also, Bound Sword might be your best pick if you want to work some 1H.

Racially, I suggest Breton (Best conjurors) or Imperial (Restoration levels much slower, so the skill bonus is vital for these kinds of builds.) Probably Imperial, because they also have a Block bonus, and you'l avoid tanking for much XP, plus The Voice power can really get you out of a jam. I usually do Redguard for my Crusaders, because like I said, Paladin is an Arabic word. The Alikir are the closest to what it originally referred to (Before the Orders of Christendom adopted it.) However, I don't consider them as viable for this varient except for Adrenaline Rush, which is always handy.

As for M/H/S, I'd build up enough of a Magicka reserve to cast your summon/s, since they have a Duration, you'll have time to recover while fighting with your Sword/board. The rest in health, with Robes to help with Magicka, and also reduce the Stamina losses of Sprinting. If you're going to tank, and use Stamina intensive tactics like Critical Charge followed by Hack&Bash, then adjust the proportions to compensate.

I don't give numbers here, because every build is different, and i don't know how you play. Instead, i suggest how to prioritize, and once you Level, which to pick based on the last level. If you're short on one, then obviously, invest in that. Running away to heal too often? Health. Running out of gas for Power attacks? Stamina. Having to wait for your blue gauge, Magicka. Usually, Destruction is spammed enough to focus on M over the others, the exception is Flaming Familiar because of it's short duration. (And Wards, until you get the Absorb perk/spellbreaker.) You should have enough Armor to not need as much Health, but not so much to make Stamina critical. I'd say H>S>Magicka, but build up the minimum Magicka first so you can cast inbetween bouts in the melee'.

L-Tolstoy

Thanks for advice, I think im going to stick with full heavy armor though and stick with that and restoration till i can get some good conjuration spells

I'd say try it with the robes, you can always strap on body armor later if it's not enough protection. I was mostly advising it minimize the H/S/M conflict.

The man

I'd say try it with the robes, you can always strap on body armor later if it's not enough protection. I was mostly advising it minimize the H/S/M conflict.
damn dude! you make Bethesda seem like they dont know anything about skyrim.

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
A paladin of whom? Paladins are religious crusaders (It was originally a Persian word, so read that as Jihad.) which generally means association with one of the Gods/daedra.
Hey, man, I don't want to say you're wrong, but I'm not so sure you're correct about the origins of Paladins. To my knowledge, they were Frankish knights and while they did have a religious connotation, I don't believe they had much to do with the Saracens or Jihad, except for maybe fighting against them. I'm just curious if you had a source that traced the word etymology back to the Persians or something?

But thank you, this is now going to rattling around in my head all day! :p I'm going to have to make a trip to the bookshelf, I have a couple of books dealing with the Franks that I haven't looked at in awhile.

Moris

Hey, man, I don't want to say you're wrong, but I'm not so sure you're correct about the origins of Paladins. To my knowledge, they were Frankish knights and while they did have a religious connotation, I don't believe they had much to do with the Saracens or Jihad, except for maybe fighting against them. I'm just curious if you had a source that traced the word etymology back to the Persians or something?

But thank you, this is now going to rattling around in my head all day! :p I'm going to have to make a trip to the bookshelf, I have a couple of books dealing with the Franks that I haven't looked at in awhile.

I had to look this up.

Typical dictionary etymology (Merriam Webster) says, as you do:

Origin of PALADIN

Middle French, from Italian paladino, from Old French palatin, from Medieval Latin palatinus courtier, from Late Latin, imperial official — more at palatine
First Known Use: 1592

However, just a quick search does offer the following:

In his translation Clinton, shows a stronger than usual tendency toward embedding
Persian words into his translation, like shahryar (king) sepahdar,sepahbod
(“ army chief,” “ general” ),Piltan (“ elephant-bodied” ; an epithet of Rustam), Div
Sepid (the White Dev) and especially pahjavan (“ knight,” “ hero,’ ; this latter is also
thoroughly used in the English text for translating various Persian synonyms of “ hero,”
presumably for more local color). I find however the use of Persian words Yazdan
and Isad (both meaning God in Persian, from the Old Iranian root yaz- “ to worship ’,)
in his English translation a little bit of “ Orientalism,” His gloss of the above mentioned
epic key term pahjavan as u ‘ hero ’ transformed into * paladin ’ in English
(187) is also misleading. It is, of course, quite appropriate to render the word panjavan
as the semantically corresponding archaic English term, “ paladin,,’ as the Warners
occasionally have done. However, the choice of the verb “ transform” suggests
etymological relation. My dictionaries unanimously give the origin of the word
“ paladin ” as the Lat. palatinusy Italian paladino} French paladin i.e., ‘‘ palace officialiy
(from the Lat. Palatium\ while the word pahjavan had originally meant a Parthian/*
then later (t a cavalier.,’ Also, the translation of an epithet of Sohrab, roushan-ravan,
as “ of the eternal soul” (29, verse 147) is questionable; it would be more justified
to translate it as “ of bright soul,,,perhaps “ spirited.”

http://nirc.nanzan-u.ac.jp/nfile/1564

So, while this author agrees that the origin of the word is Latin, at least one other author believes it's Persian.

Moris

This is also an interesting read on the subject of etymology of similar words, which would have been unarmed combatants (wrestlers).

http://www.coreedaoz.com/attachments/The_Wrestling_Heroes_of_Central_Asia.pdf

ETA: Re-reading it, it looks to be a different word than the one noted in the post above. But since we're looking at the words in a Roman alphabet, it's not obvious immediately. Still, I don't feel bad for having read all that. LOL.

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
Well, not really. The second author is saying that while it's appropriate to use paladin as a translation of pahjavan, there is not actual connection between the words. The second author makes it clear that his "dictionaries" trace paladin back to the Latin which, according to that, means "palace official" or officiary...

This would go along with my understanding of what a paladin was. After a quick brush up, paladin originate with Charlemagne who appointed the Twelve Peers, kind of like his version of Arthur's knights. They were to guard Charlemagne, which lends itself to the idea of them being palace officiaries. However, Charlemagne and his Twelve Peers came into conflict with the Saracens in Spain on a few occasions, so I thought perhaps that's where we were getting the Persian connection.

Interesting reads you've posted, Moris! Much appreciated!

EDIT: I should also note that words like "paladin" and "cavalier" are used fairly interchangeably now. I read a whole website that kept explaining the concept of a knight while referring to them as paladins pretty haphazardly. So, it's really not out of the realm of reality to see the connection here.

TomatoThief

Looking to make a paladin kind of build.. but with conjuration also..

So basically:

Heavy Armor
1-Handed
Shield
Restoration
Conjuration (Twin souls)

Im stuck on which race to pick and how to distribute Mana / Health / Stamina :sadface:

Any help or guidance appreciated folks!

The most expensive conjure is a Storm Atronach Thrall at a base of 1200 magic. Having 100 skill gives you a 0.6 multiplier of cost, and the Master perk gives a 0.5. Thus at max you will need to have 1200*0.6*0.5 = 360 magic. This assumes you have no enchantments that reduce cost further. You may also have raw +magic enchants. Barring that, count on pumping at least 26 levels worth of stat points into magic. I recommend keeping your magic in line with the highest level of summon you can muster (with the appropriate half-magic perk) at all times. If you fall behind, wear something with +magic until you catch up.

For health and stamina, I am not a huge fan of stamina. Maybe keep it at half your health. I've never had a character with more than 200 stamina. Bear in mind that with Restoration, you may take a perk that restores stamina in addition to health.

You will be heavy on defense with summons, heavy armor, and a shield. I think you will find yourself not needing to heal very often. Consider putting several perks into the Dual Wield branch to increase your offense when needed. If you want to maintain sword+board to be true to your vision, get all the bash perks and pump your stamina more than I previously advised, maybe at a 1:1 ratio with health.

Any melee character should choose Smithing. For very few perks you will greatly increase both damage and defense.

Since you don't want Destruction, consider Archery to fill out your ranged damage. Or, you may just let your atronachs fill that role. A crossbow may fit more in with your vision of a Paladin than a bow.

Higher level heavy armors tend to look more nefarious than holy, so keep that in mind and be prepared to be disappointed with being good while looking evil, or limit yourself to lesser armors like steel. Or, if you are PC, there is a great Armor mod which would vastly increase your choices for aesthetic high end armor.

-TT

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts