• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Blackdoom59

BATMAN!
So if you proceeded in the main questline, as well as did some blades missions, esbern will ask you to kill the single dragon that has not attacked you from the moment he saw you, and that helped you in many ways through the quest.

In most of my playthroughs I ignored the blades, and never attacked the old guy. There was one time when I was playing a real dragonslayer, so I had to kill him. No I am playing as an imperial (sort of) paladin. I made my character so that he valors justice over everything, yet he is kind at heart and usually forgiving for small things. Now I have no clue what to do..​
I made some research about him and his name literally translates to:​
"Ambition Overlord Cruelty"

So he is the overlord of Cruelty and Ambition? If he is so ambitious he might just try to build an army of dragons after the passing of the dragonborn, and raise just as Alduin did. In his name he's also cruel, so that gives more proof to what the blades say about him killing the heroes in the past and such. And before you go "It's just a name", dragons take their name seriously. Like from the moment of their birth they take that name and bear with it for the rest of their lives, the name defining them. And there are no exceptions whatsoever. Could Pharthurnax be the exception? Do you think he deserves a second chance, or that he was planning all along for a dragonborn to come so he can proceed his plan?

Anouck

Queen of Procrastination
The blades are supposed to help the Dragonborn. They should assist you in your fight against Alduin and provide you whatever you need to defeat him. Instead they refuse to help you unless 'you do what you have been told'.
The greybeards and Paathurnax have been helpful from the very beginning. They taught you shouts and fought along side you against the enemy. The Blades, on the other hand, have been bossing you around. They used you for their own purpose and lose interest as soon as you do something they don't like.

Having a dragon as your ally seems very useful to me. I mean, Paathurnax becomes their leader after you kill Alduin. I rather let Paathurnax live so he can "control" the other dragons than killing him..
It comes down to weather you trust the Greybeards' judgement or not. They are very wise and they trust Paathurnax.
Besides, Paathurnax is very honest about his past. He tells you about the 'crimes' he committed and does not try to look any better than he truly is. In my opinion, if he was up to something bad, he would't tell you about his history.

It is like Raijin once said in a similar thread: "Yes he does have a bad past, but so did every other dragon. They were once Alduins subordinates. Paarthurnax who taught the first Tongues, Gormlaith Golden-Hilt,Hakon One-Eye and Felldir the Old, to turn the tide in the Dragon War. If It wasn't for him the humans would've been liquidated a long time ago by the Dragons."

Gregor Moon Fang

Champion of Azura
Why would you agree to kill Paarthunax? He was the one that gave you the knowledge needed to defeat Alduin. (Well technically the Elder Scroll and the three warriors from the Dragon War did) but he gave you the idea. He was honest about his past. He knew what he did was wrong and did work to try and redeem himself by teaching Gormlaith, Hakon and Felldir how to shout. Then add to what he said: "Is it better to be born good or to overcome your evil nature?" He had a point.

Meanwhile, the Blades used you for pretty much the entire game: Getting the Dragonstone, Killing Solokinir, Retrieving Esbern, and Opening up Sky Haven Temple. They didn't help you once. Then they tell you to kill Paarthunax or they refuse to help you ever again. Uh what? They are Blades, sworn to protect and follow the Dragonborn. How are they able to outright refuse to help the Dragonborn? That's what their order was created for! If it wasn't for Paarthunax, everyone would be dead. Now they want you to kill him just because he's a dragon? Doesn't make any sense.

So basically the question boils down to this. Whose side do you take? A reformed dragon who helped prevent the end of the mortal world not once, but twice or a couple of old bats that use you for your own ends and wishes to kill the very being that saved their life simply because he's the same species as the one trying to destroy the world? The choice is yours.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Why would you agree to kill Paarthunax? He was the one that gave you the knowledge needed to defeat Alduin. (Well technically the Elder Scroll and the three warriors from the Dragon War did) but he gave you the idea. He was honest about his past. He knew what he did was wrong and did work to try and redeem himself by teaching Gormlaith, Hakon and Felldir how to shout. Then add to what he said: "Is it better to be born good or to overcome your evil nature?" He had a point.

Meanwhile, the Blades used you for pretty much the entire game: Getting the Dragonstone, Killing Solokinir, Retrieving Esbern, and Opening up Sky Haven Temple. They didn't help you once. Then they tell you to kill Paarthunax or they refuse to help you ever again. Uh what? They are Blades, sworn to protect and follow the Dragonborn. How are they able to outright refuse to help the Dragonborn? That's what their order was created for! If it wasn't for Paarthunax, everyone would be dead. Now they want you to kill him just because he's a dragon? Doesn't make any sense.

So basically the question boils down to this. Whose side do you take? A reformed dragon who helped prevent the end of the mortal world not once, but twice or a couple of old bats that use you for your own ends and wishes to kill the very being that saved their life simply because he's the same species as the one trying to destroy the world? The choice is yours.
I always choose Parthy. The Blades are just jerks. I usually get them in to the temple and then go do the rest of the quest and have nothing else to do with them. (tip: hold on to your dragon scroll! It's useful if you have)

Blackdoom59

BATMAN!
Well thanks for the the answers, you guys make a strong point. And I do understand his quote " Is it better to be born good or overcome your evil nature" but that's exactly what I'm talking about.
Can Paarthurnax truly overcome his evil nature? As said before it's in his blood to be cruel, it's in his blood to rule over others, it's in his blood to be ambitious and do everything to reach his goal.

I mean let's think a little, You are the last dragon alive after a war and you decide to go on a mountain for a few thousand years and teach people your language? There must be more to that. I am nearly sure he wanted to unite the dragons under his rule, and not Alduin's from the start. The problem is, what will he do with all of the dragons helping him? What stops him for following Alduin's footsteps, and building an army of dragons to rule over tamriel(or Skyrim, at least)? The dragonborn won't live forever, and after he dies, there will be an entire era without him. An era in which Phaarthurnax can do what he pleases.

Sure, he helps the dragonborn a lot, but only to his gain. Paarthurnax is a way better ruler then Alduin, just think that just as Alduin died, he had up to 10 dragons already under his wings. He created the graybeards. What if he used the dragonborn just to get rid of Alduin? Once again with his name, he's meant to rule, to dispatch obstacles and to be evil. No dragon ever "betrayed" his name, how can Paarthurnax do it?

And I get the blades are assholes, but Esbern is smart, looking at those stone carvings and all that. Maybe there is a stone carving about Paarthurnax, ruling the world after the dragonborn dies, and maybe that's why he's so afraid.

Once again
  • His name means either "Ambition Overlord Cruelty" or "Ambition Tyranny Cruelty".

Daelon DuLac

Well thanks for the the answers, you guys make a strong point. And I do understand his quote " Is it better to be born good or overcome your evil nature" but that's exactly what I'm talking about.
Can Paarthurnax truly overcome his evil nature? As said before it's in his blood to be cruel, it's in his blood to rule over others, it's in his blood to be ambitious and do everything to reach his goal.

I mean let's think a little, You are the last dragon alive after a war and you decide to go on a mountain for a few thousand years and teach people your language? There must be more to that. I am nearly sure he wanted to unite the dragons under his rule, and not Alduin's from the start. The problem is, what will he do with all of the dragons helping him? What stops him for following Alduin's footsteps, and building an army of dragons to rule over tamriel(or Skyrim, at least)? The dragonborn won't live forever, and after he dies, there will be an entire era without him. An era in which Phaarthurnax can do what he pleases.

Sure, he helps the dragonborn a lot, but only to his gain. Paarthurnax is a way better ruler then Alduin, just think that just as Alduin died, he had up to 10 dragons already under his wings. He created the graybeards. What if he used the dragonborn just to get rid of Alduin? Once again with his name, he's meant to rule, to dispatch obstacles and to be evil. No dragon ever "betrayed" his name, how can Paarthurnax do it?

And I get the blades are assholes, but Esbern is smart, looking at those stone carvings and all that. Maybe there is a stone carving about Paarthurnax, ruling the world after the dragonborn dies, and maybe that's why he's so afraid.

Once again
  • His name means either "Ambition Overlord Cruelty" or "Ambition Tyranny Cruelty".
Agreed, but, would it be so bad? Parthy is awfully old (I know dragons are eternal, but they can still be killed) and, hopefully has some wisdom. I just don't trust the blades and really don't think Esbern is all that smart in any case. Look where he was hiding and his paranoia. Oh well, maybe we will never know. Besides, who's to say it's not the Blades wanting to get their own power back?

Cren Reon

Lord Mustard
Agreed, but, would it be so bad? Parthy is awfully old (I know dragons are eternal, but they can still be killed) and, hopefully has some wisdom. I just don't trust the blades and really don't think Esbern is all that smart in any case. Look where he was hiding and his paranoia. Oh well, maybe we will never know. Besides, who's to say it's not the Blades wanting to get their own power back?
it doesnt matter about the blades anymore. Its about whether parthy would become the new leader. Who cares if he is old? Alduin was the first dragon! He cant be older than alduin

The Honorable Gidian Diva of Sass

Sahrot Vahlok Spaan. Bahnahgaar. Minion #88!
Staff member

Once again
The prophecy states that the Dragonborn who stops Alduin is the last. It's in the Book of the Dragonborn.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Paarthurnax's way is tyranny to the Dragons. You can't hide from what you are and to deny how Akatosh made them is to go against their father. Though I didn't much care for Paarthurnax's "They will hear me if they want to or not" Going on about how his Thu'um is now powerful enough to claim dominance over the dragons, I always got the vibe that was his plan to gain power. The dragons all fought for status and territory, some chose different methods. Paarthurnax would always be second unless Alduin was defeated, now that Alduin is gone he is all dominant over the dragons. I think they wrote him quite well, he isn't perfectly good. Paarthurnax lives up to his name well at the end of the main quest.

Paar thur nax
'Ambition Overlord Cruelty'

Staff member
His name and it's context are open to interpretation. Ambition can be good or bad. One can have many ambitions. Maybe his was to see Alduin's rein ended and to rehabilitate the dragons and be all good. Maybe he intends to take power for himself. Overlord. If he rehabilitates the dragons he will most likely be their leader, or lord, and he will be suppressing their thuum with his "Way of the Voice." Which Odavaiing or however you spell it calls a tyranny. Tyranny to humans, or dragons? Cruelty. Cruel to the dragons, cruel to humans, cruel in his rehabilitation, cruel in his rise to power... it all comes down to what you choose to believe.

Paarthurnax is an interesting case, like a few other important characters in Skyrim.

Yes he was once truly evil, however he chose to betray Alduin. At the time many dragons were beginning to doubt Alduin, but they mostly supported him. So Paarthurnax took a major chance in turning on Alduin and helping defeat not only Alduin but in a way helping to defeat ALL dragons. He himself could have lost his life, as there was no guarantee man wouldn't turn on him (not to mention Alduin's supporters).

After Alduin was defeated he was (likely) the strongest dragon alive. He could have made a power play to try to convince the other dragons to side with him and regain control of man. Even if they chose not to side with him, Paarthurnax was still amazingly powerful. Yet, he didn't attempt to become a supreme ruler. At the height of his "rawr I'm a dragon, worship me" phase, he not only helped defeat Alduin, but he had enough restraint to avoid trying to become a ruler himself.

Even when people stopped using shouts, and the Dragonborns started to fade out, he didn't attempt to become a ruler. In between the time that the last Dragonborn appeared and when the current one shows up, he would have had an easy time claiming Skyrim (and more) his own. Instead he meditated, waiting until Alduin would reappear, and then he helped defeat Alduin again.

As others have mentioned, Alduin is completely open about his past and he doesn't try to sugarcoat it.

Compare this with the Blades, in what little time you know them, they consistently lie, demand you do things without providing reasons why and just generally show a complete lack of respect.

As far as I can tell, the Blades exploit you far more than Paarthurnax seems to, and they are wholly unapologetic about it as well.

ColleenG

When in doubt, follow the fox.
The one time I killed Parthurnaxx I felt sick to my stomach. It's just wrong.

Jader

The Mystic Marksman
To oblivion with the blades. I'll take paarthy any day.think of what you could potentially learn for something that's lived for millennia.

Blackdoom59

BATMAN!
His name and it's context are open to interpretation. Ambition can be good or bad. One can have many ambitions. Maybe his was to see Alduin's rein ended and to rehabilitate the dragons and be all good. Maybe he intends to take power for himself. Overlord. If he rehabilitates the dragons he will most likely be their leader, or lord, and he will be suppressing their thuum with his "Way of the Voice." Which Odavaiing or however you spell it calls a tyranny. Tyranny to humans, or dragons? Cruelty. Cruel to the dragons, cruel to humans, cruel in his rehabilitation, cruel in his rise to power... it all comes down to what you choose to believe.

If beating Alduin would be his goal, I'd see after the dragonborn ended Alduin, Paarthurnax would not mind getting killed. Yet when you tell him about the blades wanting to kill him, he seems doubtful. It is clear he WANTS to keep living. And by your theory, he already met his ambition of seeing the downfall of Alduin. He has other ambitions I'm sure. He is a true leader, he is persuasive. He convinced the old nords to fell under his rule to defeat Alduin, he convinced dragons to betray alduin TWICE, he convinced 4 granpas to woship him. Paarthurnax is truly an interesting character.

Alduin failed to beat him, and he can just raise to power. As said before, the dragonborn that defeats Alduin is the LAST dragonborn. Which means Paarthurnax can live forever, alongside his army of dragons. And since he is such a strong leader, I'm sure a rebellion is impossible.

I expect Paarthurnax would rule the world, since mortality has NO way of stopping him. The last of the Thu'um users either died off or are under his command, the dragons are under his command, all he can fear is truly a daedric prince, and nothing else. I may write a fanfic about this one day :).

Jader

The Mystic Marksman
A vampiric dragon born could be there to stop him should he try to finish what alduin started.I'm sure there other rp versions of obtaining immortality as well.

Parven

Harbinger of Nocturnal
I one shot him with the blade of woe legendary condition after he too me about his past and really he was no longer of use to my assassin/thief/ranger/knight

Daelon DuLac

it doesnt matter about the blades anymore. Its about whether parthy would become the new leader. Who cares if he is old? Alduin was the first dragon! He cant be older than alduin
The difference is that Alduin was cast many centuries in to the future while Parthy continued to exist on our plain the whole time. To me, that gives him many thousands of years more wisdom than Alduin ever could. Perhaps Alduin would have gained some wisdom as well if he hadn't gone from world domination to world domination and had had a few thousand years to think about his defeat between them. Given the temporal gap that Alduin experienced, yes, I do believe that Paarthanax is older.

Staff member

If beating Alduin would be his goal, I'd see after the dragonborn ended Alduin, Paarthurnax would not mind getting killed. Yet when you tell him about the blades wanting to kill him, he seems doubtful. It is clear he WANTS to keep living. And by your theory, he already met his ambition of seeing the downfall of Alduin. He has other ambitions I'm sure. He is a true leader, he is persuasive. He convinced the old nords to fell under his rule to defeat Alduin, he convinced dragons to betray alduin TWICE, he convinced 4 granpas to woship him. Paarthurnax is truly an interesting character.

Alduin failed to beat him, and he can just raise to power. As said before, the dragonborn that defeats Alduin is the LAST dragonborn. Which means Paarthurnax can live forever, alongside his army of dragons. And since he is such a strong leader, I'm sure a rebellion is impossible.

I expect Paarthurnax would rule the world, since mortality has NO way of stopping him. The last of the Thu'um users either died off or are under his command, the dragons are under his command, all he can fear is truly a daedric prince, and nothing else. I may write a fanfic about this one day :).
You're not thinking or seeing the whole picture. Maybr his ambition is to overcome his evil nature, there can be a nearly infinite amount of ambitions he may possess.

Daelon DuLac

You're not thinking or seeing the whole picture. Maybr his ambition is to overcome his evil nature, there can be a nearly infinite amount of ambitions he may possess.
Interesting interpretation. I had not thought of that, although it would make sense. I do not necessarily cast Paarthy as evil. Just because you have done evil deeds in your past does make you evil for the entirety of his existence going forward. Besides, who knows what is going to happen when it comes to the dragons and those that are left. If the city guards can take one down in most cases, they are obviously not invulnerable and it's not like the Dragonborn is going anywhere for a while (unless you're playing the Dragonborn as near the end of his life). Who knows what he might do. While he is a bit pompous, he never struck me as particularly despotical, just a bit condescending.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts