Overrated Movies/Games/Other

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Godzillaman 08

List something that you find overrated and explain why it is.

For me, I always found Minecraft to be an overrated game. When ever I try to play it I just get real bored of it, even when I use mods I can't play it for long. I also can't forget to mention the waves a pound waves of Minecraft let's plays. I can't stand these videos, if you want to waste your time watching videos of people playing Minecraft for hours then go for it. Also I think the creator Notch gets a little too much credit for making the game. While I will admit Minecraft is and impressive feat, the guy has only made this one game, and he is getting labeled for being one of the best video game designers of all time when at least right now I don't think he deserves it.

sticky runes

I find Christopher Nolan overrated.

Yes, I enjoyed his Batman movies, but the way people are like "ooh, no one can touch Nolan, Nolan should be in charge of rebooting everything blah blah" I personally think he tried to make the Batman films look a bit too realistic, to the point that it kind of kills the escapism and is barely recognizable as a Batman movie. I mean let's face it - if people want to watch a movie that doesn't look like it's been based on a comic book, then they shouldn't really be watching a movie about a guy who dresses up as a bat when he tracks down bad guys in the first place. The "realistic" superhero idea was interesting for one or two movies, but I wouldn't want to watch an entire series of films in that style.

As for Inception, I got bored of that film and switched off halfway through.

jaomile

I liked all movies made by Nolan and consider his movies best Batman movies ever. It is not all abaout if it is realistic or not it is about do the characters live up to their comic versions and in my opinion they do (while being more realistic and not Two-face who has perfect line on his face which separates his burned from normal side and acts nothing like Two-face).

To me most overrated movie (saga) is Star Wars (they are good but not that good). And as for games it is Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Godzillaman 08

I find Christopher Nolan overrated.

Yes, I enjoyed his Batman movies, but the way people are like "ooh, no one can touch Nolan, Nolan should be in charge of rebooting everything blah blah" I personally think he tried to make the Batman films look a bit too realistic, to the point that it kind of kills the escapism and is barely recognizable as a Batman movie. I mean let's face it - if people want to watch a movie that doesn't look like it's been based on a comic book, then they shouldn't really be watching a movie about a guy who dresses up as a bat when he tracks down bad guys in the first place. The "realistic" superhero idea was interesting for one or two movies, but I wouldn't want to watch an entire series of films in that style.

As for Inception, I got bored of that film and switched off halfway through.
I agree with on that one, while I love The Dark Knight (mostly for the Joker) the other films are just not as good as they are cracked up to be. That's why I like Arkham Asylum and City games because there still have a serious tone to them and still mange to feel like a comic book.

AS88

Staff member
World of Warcraft - my girlfriend plays it and I've never seen something so unimpressive take up so much of a person's time.

Prometheus (film) - saw it on DVD, one of the most average films I've ever seen. Looked good, big budget and impressive effects, etc, but seemed to have no substance whatsoever.

sticky runes

The Animated Series was my favourite version of Batman.

The Arkham games were good as well, but the boss fights kind of sucked. I looked forward to fighting all the major villains, but it turned out that smacking down regular thugs was more fun than taking on the bosses. But it was good that the games gave us the experience of doing all the detective stuff with Batman's gadgets. Playing as Catwoman was fun as well! I'm hoping for a game in this style that lets us play as Batgirl and Nightwing.

I also really liked that Birds of Prey TV series, shame it got cancelled after only one season. It had so much potential.

I agree Star Wars is overrated. I love the old movies, and I'm interested to know what the new films will be like. The prequel trilogy is skippable except for Yoda and Papatine's scenes. But I feel that Star Wars gets way too much attention, when there are better fantasy and sci-fi movies and shows out there.

AS88

Staff member
Also, the last few Need for Speed games. I adored Underground 2, but since 2007, the series has been nothing but reconstituted, boring, samey, cliched, hollow storyline, plotless games. It really disappoints me, I'd rather they just remade Underground to be honest.

The Run was one of the most disappointing games I've ever played. I understand that the focus was on online play, but I completed the main story races in three hours. THREE HOURS and I spent FORTY POUNDS. I almost took it back, but I managed to accept that the real point was online play, which was reasonably good, but not the reason I bought it. The handling has got progressively worse, too.

SherlockJones

I'm where you least expect me, THERE! no not there
Led zepplin, never seen the appeal.

Don't hate ;_;

using my phone. like a boss

Crooksin

Glue Sniffer
I'm gonna get alot of hate for this as I do from everyone I tell but, classic rock, even alot of classic metal. Hate it, can't stand it, sounds lame to me. "OMG ARE YOU A REAL PERSON1?!?!" yes, I am, just because something was the first doesn't make it the best. I respect the talent though, just don't like the sound.

=EDIT: Also, Nissan Skylines.

but 'dem nissan gtrs doe

1347354994.jpg

sticky runes

I think LOTR is worth it's hype, since a lot of RPGs I've played have taken ideas from it, plus I think it's better than most other crap that is popular these days.

I never liked Pirates of the Caribbean. Those films were so bloated, I just lost track of WTF was going on in them. and I'm not a fan of Johnny Depp or Keira Knightly.

kyleekay

I honestly felt like The Hangover was overrated. I went in to see it initially expecting the funniest movie I'd ever seen, and though it was funny, it wasn't as great as everyone made it sound.

Monolith

The Progeny of Vikings
I might catch a lot of flak for this, but I really fail to see how humanity is benefiting from cell phones that are loaded with a metric sh!t ton of accessories, junk and everything possible to make them more expensive and further removed from their original purpose. I consider them greatly overrated in their purported usefulness; a perfect example of creating consumer needs out of thin air. Don't get me wrong, many technological advancements and gadgets are highly useful and I am thankful for their existence, but I've always been a minimalist when it comes to cell phones: as long as I can dial and receive calls and send text messages, I'm happy. I don't need the accessories and crap they're trying to sell. I also have no desire to be online 24/7, so I don't need a mobile internet. I have one on my tablet computer, which I very rarely use, anyway. I certainly don't require a connection on my phone!

As far as movies are concerned, I think most modern animations are vastly overrated. It feels like they were scripted and animated by a bunch of strung-out meth-heads on a manic high: the pacing is frantic enough to make you vomit, the characters are all hysterical, high-pitched and disturbing, and there is absolutely no room to breathe and analyze what is going on. That is exactly what children would need, and that is the one thing the animations are lacking most glaringly. Sometimes watching them feels like a total mind fluff. No wonder kids these days are hyperactive and have nonexistent attention spans! :eek: (well, the abominable diet we're feeding them is probably contributing too).

sticky runes

Monolith, I agree with you on both accounts.

I need my phone for when I go out. And when I'm out and about, I'm taking a break from my PC and internet so I can absorb the real world and catch up on whats been going on outside of my computer. So I don't want to be carrying my internet around in my pocket to pester my friends about what I'm getting up to and upload photographic evidence of myself eating a waffle. My phone is just for emergencies, or so I can call home and let my family know if I'm gonna be late, not to keep people updated on the progress of my train journey.
Sure, being able to google maps when you're out is useful, but when I'm trying to have a physical conversation with someone, and every two minutes they're like "look at this funny video! Look at this game I found!" F#ck off, ok. If I want to look at screens I'd stay at home.

And as for these modern animated movies, I find a lot of them really uncreative and predictable. We basically get the same movie with the same characters, only they use different animals or a different setting. I groan every time i see a trailer for a movie about talking animals. And I hate when they have characters singing and dancing to well known pop and rock songs and it's supposed to be hilarious. It's embarrassing to watch. At least the Disney classics have memorable songs.

Medea

The Shadow Queen
I think everything's overrated nowadays. We are a consumer-driven society and we're being manipulated by corporations into believing every guaranteed piece of pl*ps they put in a box is the "best thing ever".

Everything is purposefully reviewed too high, to give the impression that "this game is the best shooter ever made", or "this is the best horror movie of the year".

Take video games for example. Most game magazines rate games on a 10-point-system, with 1 being bad and 10 being perfect. When was the last time you even saw a 5?? Even the biggest pieces of pl*ps out there gets a "7 out of 10" now.

Phones. Why does everyone have to have the next phone? Because the market dictates desire, that's why. "Look. I can take pictures and video with my phone, and I can surf the web, and this model has one more gig of memory than that out-dated phone that came out two days ago!" Well, aren't you a big-shot....

I think everyone needs to put on their truth sunglasses:

kyleekay

Phones. Why does everyone have to have the next phone? Because the market dictates desire, that's why. "Look. I can take pictures and video with my phone, and I can surf the web, and this model has one more gig of memory than that out-dated phone that came out two days ago!" Well, aren't you a big-shot....

I need it because it's shiny and awesome and fast and I can draw with it and take slow motion video and because I need it. :p

Totally kidding. I agree with you though, and I dig that video. Though I think it's important to remember that it's okay to want the next big thing, overrated or not, if it's something that you can enjoy. Life is too short not to enjoy silly things. :)

sticky runes

Obviously, companies are going to hype their product up when they advertize it, so I don't blame them for that (there are also fantastic games and movies out there that don't sell well due to poor marketing)

It's just disappointing when you hear consumers and friends going on about something like it's the best thing they've ever played or seen, then you try it yourself and think "seriously? What was all the fuss about?"

Brizzle Kicks

Welcome To The Underground
3D tv's to me are realy overated and wish I never spent the best part of £1000 on one tbh it was suposed to be the next best thing since sliced bread. Well it's not you look like a twat with those silly glasses on after 30 mins you get a headache and there still isn't that much to watch in 3d anyway. It was a complete and utter waste of money imo.