• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
depends, do you want maximum defense and reasonable attack? go one hand and shield.

do you want slow butt powerful attack but still be able to block? go two hand.

do you want maximum DPS with no block because you're not a pussy and that's what armour is for? go duel wield like a boss.

does that help at all?

P.S. i say this after reaching max level with an ORC that has both perk trees (but not block, although I have that on my main).

PelagiusIV

All based on personal preference. Personally I can't stand using two handed weapons. I love the ability to mix up my fighting styles between sword/shield, sword/magic or duel swords. Mostly I use the sword/shield combo as I find it the most effective for close combat.

Jaeger

Go two-handed. I have a light armor, two handed nord. He guts OG Deathlords and almost never gets a scratch so don't need shield blocking. I have some blocking perks for the sword, rarely uses them.

Casting magic - use the Thu'um. It's made for two-handers.

Elsabob

Or if you are a pussy/Khajiit, go unarmed anyway because you get Claw damage, which is both awesome and boss.

Gore gro-Gijakudob

Duel wielding looks like a little girl having a tantrum. 2 handed weapons all the way. Disarming bash - Oh you are not a duel wielder anymore, disarming bash - oh you are not even a single weilder anymore, retaliate - Oh your head seems to be detached from your body by my warhammer. Like a boss of bosses.

Ri'tai The Wordsmith

Khaaz dovah of the highest level.
I concur. pre level 10, my dwarven warhammer could 1 shot all humans (and most dragur) I faced.Even now, since im an orc, Beserk makes me able to one hit kill a troll easy. Also, put fire enchantments on EVERY weapon. It makes kill animations sweeter. Hitting people heads off- Epic. Hitting peoples heads off while they are on fire- BADASS.

Duel wielding looks like a little girl having a tantrum. 2 handed weapons all the way. Disarming bash - Oh you are not a duel wielder anymore, disarming bash - oh you are not even a single weilder anymore, retaliate - Oh your head seems to be detached from your body by my warhammer. Like a boss of bosses.

good luck getting in a single swing/bash before i decapitate you with a scissor swing.

Ri'tai The Wordsmith

Khaaz dovah of the highest level.
I don't even see the point of dual wielding. You can only hit with one sword at a time, unless you stand still. At least with 2 handed you not wasting a hand.

I don't even see the point of dual wielding. You can only hit with one sword at a time, unless you stand still. At least with 2 handed you not wasting a hand.

you can hit faster, you have a higher damage output, you can hit with both at the same time for large bursts of damage if thats what the situation calls for, you can two types of weapons out at once (and up to four enchantments) if you have two knives you can have the power of one knife X60.

weaker enemies go down in one hit, and because you hit faster you kill them faster than a 2 hander, larger enemies also go down faster because you have a higher DPS, anything a two hander can one shot a duel wielder can one shot is well, the only trade-off is lack of block, but if you're armored correctly it hardly matters (not to mention most enemies die before getting a chance to hit you).

it's just a way more versatile way to play. (although I do love me some headsman action)

Gore gro-Gijakudob

good luck getting in a single swing/bash before i decapitate you with a scissor swing.

*Blocks* Enemy attacks with two weapons at the same time. *Holds block* Smokes a cigarette while enemy swishes the air with duel weapons. *Holds block* Decides on whether a chardonnay or chablies in is order later. *Power attacks swishy annoying duel wielder, swatting it like a fly* Yes, Chardonnay it is... Walks home with a spring in his step. Edit: And I can certainly block as quickly as you can attack! ;)

Kuurus

Go two-handed. I have a light armor, two handed nord. He guts OG Deathlords and almost never gets a scratch so don't need shield blocking. I have some blocking perks for the sword, rarely uses them.

Casting magic - use the Thu'um. It's made for two-handers.
The shield obviously doesn't make too much difference against physical damage. It makes a little difference as you can block more of the 20% damage that gets past max armor, but not a huge deal. To me the main point of using a shield is the elemental block perk, +50% resistance to fire/frost/shock, and the block runner that allows you to move at normal speed with the shield raised in the blocking position.

Between 85% magic resist and 80% elemental when blocking, my sword and board Redguard takes 3% damage from spells. I can take on a room full of master mages without the slightest worry.

Vraek

My main is a 2H light armour character mainly, I've always found it to be fine, and I don't block much at all. If you're worried about Speed, then grab The Longhammer from Liar's Retreat, it's a unique weapon, but it can be enchanted and upgraded, unlike a lot of them. It has the stats of an Orcish hammer, but it swings about the same speed as a 1H mace, do DPS is higher than a lot of 2H weapons.

Milk Drinker

Depends. For your character I'd go with a sword/shield combo. But I do like to play barbarian style as an Orc with light armor, two handed sword, and no spells (well maybe a few healing spells).

Annageckos

I like one handed better. I tried using a greatsword once, too slow. I'll stick with one handed weapons. This character I'm using an axe and shield and loving it.

Bunnie

I go with One-Handed. I always wear Light Armor, though. Heavy may be stronger, but I find it to be bulky and it slows me down. Two-Handed weapons are awkward for me to use, but, it depends on what you want.
If you want a well protected character with a strong advantage, I'd do with Heavy Armor and Two-Handed skills.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts