One handed + shield or two handed

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

The Fallen Hero

Master Assassin; Hybrid
If you're gonna be using either of those, use Heavy. You get more power but slower attacks with 2H and faster but weaker attacks, and less damage taken due to your shield. It's all your preference.

Like Fallen said, it's mostly personal preference really. Having a sheild will make you quite tank-like while using a 2H weapon can give you devastating burst damage. I personally am having a lot of fun playing my 2H warrior right now. Makes me feel like a boss! :p

tigersauce

Caravan Guard
Sword and shield makes for a pretty traditional experience which can be quite enjoyable if you're tired of tanking with your mage or 2hander, but I'd say if you're using 2handed, use heavy armor, if you're not, still use heavy armor. Heavy Armor at higher levels is pretty god-like.

I went through this a while back: the majority suggested one-handed. You have the flexibility of a shield, second weapon or magic in the other. I followed their advice and it has worked out well for my Orc warrior. The heavy armor makes sense for a warrior type, just give yourself enough Stamina to wear it ad still carry all the loot.

Drewski

Relaxing on Revis Island, with Revis and Holmes :(
A shield? Why? That's a hand behind your back that could be used for something else...(Destruction, Illusion, Conjuring or Restoration)...

Apologies for the banal first post, I'll illuminate if anyone wants me to ;)

Adam Warlock

I don`t carry a shield much now since my body armor is close to the cap without one. But you can`t discount the value of the possible 2 extra enchantments you get for using one. Extra Health and/or Resist Magic on a shield can free up other armor enchant slots for improving your damage output in 1h or archery or adding to your stamina.

Drewski

Relaxing on Revis Island, with Revis and Holmes :(
I don`t carry a shield much now since my body armor is close to the cap without one. But you can`t discount the value of the possible 2 extra enchantments you get for using one. Extra Health and/or Resist Magic on a shield can free up other armor enchant slots for improving your damage output in 1h or archery or adding to your stamina.

But they aren't going to work, unless you have the shield equipped (if they do its a bug)..You cant have a shield and a bow active at the same time

SGT_Sky

Silence, My Brother
So the majority is?
I don't think there is a majority, it all comes down to personal preference man. I honestly like 1 handing and having a shield i can swap out with on a moments notice if i need to (sometimes i like to cast a few spells) and honestly i think that offers you the most protection possible. and definitely use heavy armor

Kuurus

The main reason to use a shield in this game has nothing to do with armor. You can reach the cap with any type of armor, light or heavy, without the use of a shield if you use Enchanting and Smithing.

The main advantage of a shield is in the Elemental Protection and Block Runner perks. Combine it with the right build of resistances, and mages (which are generally the achilles heel of well armored tanks) are no longer a threat. Blocking now provides +50% resistance to fire/frost/shock and you are able to move at normal speed while doing so and "close the gap" to mages quickly. There is as previously mentioned, the 2 extra enchantment slots available to you as well to consider.

As others have said, it comes down to personal preference and any build/style can do well in this game, but in weighing the pros and cons, these are the things you need to consider in regards to a shield.

Honestly :)
use both lol :D
If you are warrior you are supposed to be good with all traditional warriour weapons
I started as one handed and shield warriour and got tired of it
than switched to two handed and leveled very fast coz of it ^^
why to choose hell I am even traning my bow right now but I suck with it -.-

On my first play through I went with 1 handed weapons in one hand and restoration/destruction in the other which was really fun. But now I have made an Orc warrior and I'm having alot of fun with 2 handed weapons. Only problem is the switching to restoration. But this can be hot keyed for quick switching.

As for armour I would say Heavy all day. Daedric armour is awsome!

SGT_Sky

Silence, My Brother
Im going shield and fist....not bad so far with heavy armor of course.
then you may be interested in this video:

not mine, but very informative

CAUTION: may contain slight spoilers

DanielJS

I abuse my powers.
wow that is really helpful. It kinda sucks that with a shield i dont get some of those awesome execution sequences.

I have Otar for a helmet, Steel Plate armor, Dwarven Boots of Strength, Dwarven Gauntlets (Fine), and the Ring of Hircine. As for weapons, I use an Ebony Dagger (Fine) in my left hand, and Tulius' Glass Sword in my right.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts