PC NVIDIA GeForce users, you must read this.

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

AdrenaLiNv1

Well, maybe some of you knew already about this but I'll post it anyway, maybe some others like me didn't know.

It's about the GPU driver, I just took a look at the article (link) @geforce.com, I don't know how I got there though, and when I saw the following notes:

NVIDIA FXAA Technology – shader-based anti-aliasing technology available from the NVIDIA Control Panel that enables ultra-fast anti-aliasing in hundreds of PC games. FXAA delivers similar quality to 4x multi-sample antialiasing (MSAA) but is up to 60% faster, enabling substantially higher performance in games. FXAA is supported on all GeForce 8-series and later GPUs.

I thought "This means more fps while I'm playing!" and I felt like I'd have to share the info. If you feel like it, download it and give it a try, hope it helps.

Cheers.

PS: I know this might not be the right forum category but there isn't a "preformance" or something alike section.

perkecet

could you or someone else explain this in a more "i don't know computer lingo" sort of way? from the article all i could understand is that it supposedly can make skyrim run 21% better. how does this work? what needs to be done for it to work?
if this works decently well it could make my dreams come true. i recently got bold and purchased the PC version, only to find that my computer can't run it fast enough to be playable.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
This is not news. NVIDIA implemented FXAA years ago.

perkecet in layman's terms, FXAA is a compromise to reducing the visual quality of a video game by using it in lieu of or with lower AA settings. It can improve a game's performance for the same reason nerfing any of your visual settings can improve the game's performance. There's a checkbox for FXAA in your settings from the launch window for Skyrim. It wont improve your game performance unless you reduce your AA settings as well.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
What thing did they write that was untrue? All they said is that the new driver allows you to apply FXAA to some games with some NVIDIA cards that you couldn't before through the NVIDIA control panel. You could do this for Skyrim before without the new driver with any card that wasn't over 3 years old.

If you read carefully they don't cite Skyrim as a game for which you have to use the control panel with the new driver. The performance boost that they specifically mention for Skyrim has to do with tweaks they made to the driver, has nothing to do with FXAA and they never state anything to the contrary in the article.

Also note that it is a beta driver so you may experience problems if you decide to install it now rather than wait until the official version is released.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts