Nord Refugee Character Diary - Hrisskar III

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

bulbaquil

...is not Sjadbek, he just runs him.
Believe it or not, the difference between expert and master is somewhat steep. On master you do half regular damage and enemies to double regular damage. NOTHING is easy. A pack of three wolves can kill you if you're not careful.

The damage scaling is such that each difficulty is twice as hard as the next-lower. Master is twice as hard as Expert, which in turn is twice as hard as Adept, which in turn is twice as hard as Apprentice, which in turn is twice as hard as Novice.

Granted, the restrictions you've imposed probably are worth at least two further orders of difficulty. (After three questlines completed, I'm still in Frostfall 4E 201.) If you knocked it down to Expert but kept all other restrictions in place, it should be about half as hard as it is on Master, since everything else is the same.

BIGwooly

The damage scaling is such that each difficulty is twice as hard as the next-lower. Master is twice as hard as Expert, which in turn is twice as hard as Adept, which in turn is twice as hard as Apprentice, which in turn is twice as hard as Novice.

Granted, the restrictions you've imposed probably are worth at least two further orders of difficulty. (After three questlines completed, I'm still in Frostfall 4E 201.) If you knocked it down to Expert but kept all other restrictions in place, it should be about half as hard as it is on Master, since everything else is the same.

For my next character (which will be a while still I think) I'm going to keep all the restrictions but go to expert. I think that would be more of a balanced challenge in the end. But I started Hrisskar on master and would like to finish him that way, lol.

Leigull

My latest character has been playing on master (first time I've played on anything other than the default level) with a few restrictions (nothing compared to Hrisskar though), and is up to level 44 and things are becoming a bit too easy. My main weapon is a bow and now I'm up to 100 archery so it's only taking 3 or 4 shots to kill the harder enemies and about 8-10 arrows at most to bring down a dragon. Looking back I should have possibly used a combination of a bow and a sword so that I didn't get so strong in one area.

I wouldn't ever consider dropping down to expert now as it wouldn't be anywhere near as rewarding/challenging. Unless I upped the restrictions somewhat. I guess it just takes time to work out the right balance between difficulty level, restrictions and challenge for you and your character!

bulbaquil

Well, for one thing, you are level 44 and your opponents are starting to approach their level cap. Things should be getting easier. Have you been smithing/enchanting like crazy?

Honourman

BIGwooly, over the last few days I have obsessively read all of your journals, they are helping through a 150 day video game abstinence which I was cruelly tricked into by my loving girlfriend! I am on day 82. Obviously I have been planning my next moves in Skyrim from day zero, but since reading your journals my plans have completely changed. Inspirational. Now I eagerly await the next journal entry, a similar feeling to after reading all 90+ Walking Dead comics in little over a week and wishing time to speed up so I can get my next fix!

Red5

BIGwooly, over the last few days I have obsessively read all of your journals, they are helping through a 150 day video game abstinence which I was cruelly tricked into by my loving girlfriend! I am on day 82. Obviously I have been planning my next moves in Skyrim from day zero, but since reading your journals my plans have completely changed. Inspirational. Now I eagerly await the next journal entry, a similar feeling to after reading all 90+ Walking Dead comics in little over a week and wishing time to speed up so I can get my next fix!

Sir, if you were cruelly tricked, the girlfriend ain't that loving... just saying. My loving wife for instance, loves the fact that after the kids are asleep and chores are done, I like immersing myself in a video game and a few beers instead of heading out to the strip bars. Might try using that as an argument. ;-) Otherwise, if you simply lost a bet, way to honor your end of it... Wait nevermind, there's that "cruelly tricked," part again. Can't believe you called tails on that two-headed quarter.

perkecet

the quest has nothing to do with ice wraith teeth. its one of those WoW quests like "go kill this and ill stay here, but ill know if you did it or not."

Thomas Liu

tyl089
Yes, that's why I was asking if he considered just to cheat a bit since it's just a side quest and not really tied with the main one.

Honourman

immersing myself in a video gameand a few beers instead of heading out to the strip bars. Might try using that as an argument.

Great idea! I was tricked in the sense of her being a lawyer and very good with words and me being male and having pride. Here is a very simplified account:

"You're addicted to Skyrim" (I was/am)
"Ridiculous!" (such a lie)
"I bet you couldn't stop playing it for a month"
"I could stop whenever I wanted" (another lie)
"Ok, then stop until you get back from holiday"
"Err, that's a freakin' long time away"
"It's ok, I guess your mind just isn't that strong, I still love you"
"My mind is very strong! Fine, you're ON!" (my mind is weak, proved by how easily she lured me in!)

There have been several bonuses from not playing, but I can't go into detail on them ;-)
Also, once I have won and proven her wrong, she has actually asked me to teach her how to play it, which I am looking forward to.

bulbaquil

Hey Big, ever thought about just cheating a bit, and just buy the darn ice wraith teeths?:D

That would work if the quest objective was "Obtain ice wraith teeth," but unfortunately, it's "Kill the ice wraith." Hrisskar does not technically have to bring back proof he did it; it's just like "Kill the bandit leader at Valtheim Towers or wherever" - it must be Valtheim Towers, and you need bring back no proof. Certainly, your character probably does bring back the slain bandit's head to the bounty-giver or something to that effect (or the ice wraith teeth, in case of the ice wraith), but the game mechanics mean you don't have to.

Great idea! I was tricked in the sense of her being a lawyer and very good with words and me being male and having pride. Here is a very simplified account:

"You're addicted to Skyrim" (I was/am)
"Ridiculous!" (such a lie)
"I bet you couldn't stop playing it for a month"
"I could stop whenever I wanted" (another lie)
"Ok, then stop until you get back from holiday"
"Err, that's a freakin' long time away"
"It's ok, I guess your mind just isn't that strong, I still love you"
"My mind is very strong! Fine, you're ON!" (my mind is weak, proved by how easily she lured me in!)

There have been several bonuses from not playing, but I can't go into detail on them ;-)
Also, once I have won and proven her wrong, she has actually asked me to teach her how to play it, which I am looking forward to.
Did she say, "Boom, lawyered!" at the end? Lol

bulbaquil

Something that probably is obvious, but I wanted to confirm:

I know that in character, Hrisskar never followed anyone out of Helgen because he was already outside Helgen when the event happened. But out-of-character, you still had to play the introduction as it was written - I'm going to take a very, very wild guess and assume you followed Ralof. Am I right?

BIGwooly

Something that probably is obvious, but I wanted to confirm:

I know that in character, Hrisskar never followed anyone out of Helgen because he was already outside Helgen when the event happened. But out-of-character, you still had to play the introduction as it was written - I'm going to take a very, very wild guess and assume you followed Ralof. Am I right?

Actually I just followed the other dude. No real reason why.

BIGwooly

Wow, bro. That's a tough one. I'll have to make sure I don't ever fall for that one with my wife, lol. Glad the journal is helping you through it. d;-) You should get your girl to read it. Maybe it would help your case, heheh.

BIGwooly

- 11th of Mid Year, 4E 202 -

A week ago Kharjo and I left Whiterun on our second journey to recover the Horn of Jurgen Windcaller. As we were on the western road a dragon appeared. A second dragon. I wasn't completely surprised, but it was a shock nonetheless. Yet, it wasn't this dragon that led to me laying in a bed for the past week.

The dragon circled overhead and Kharjo and I readied our bows. Luckily we were still close to the city and several guards ran to join the fight. With impressive grace the giant dragon swooped back and forth above us. We were tensed, waiting for it's attack. Each man was coming to terms with the fact they might not see the end of this day. But the dragon just kept circling, taunting us.

And then it flew off to the west, disappearing over the nearby peaks. We all waited nervously, expecting it to return at any moment and rain down fire on us. But it didn't. It was gone.

The guards returned to their duties, shaken .. but grateful to be alive. Kharjo and I continued on the road and left Whiterun behind us. Our eyes were on the sky for quite some time after, though.

Around midday we spotted a large bear near the road. We decided to take a route around it to avoid a confrontation. We had to alter our route to avoid a sabre cat as well, but we managed to slip past both beasts without bloodshed.

After making out way through the forest ahead and killing a few frostbite spiders, we came to the fort that had undone me on our last trip. We spent several hours scouting for a way around the fort, and eventually found one. After coming down into the forest again and killing another spider, we were on our way down the hill to Dawnstar.

The three wolves came at us from out of nowhere. They were all ice wolves, which are larger and significantly more dangerous than their brother wolves. Teeth met steel and the sounds of our fighting broke the peace of the gentle snowfall.

One of the wolves went after Kharjo while the other two attacked me. If my mace had maintained it's magical ability, I might have prevailed. But as it was the wolves overpowered me, and left me badly injured and unable to continue to Dawnstar.

Today we're leaving Whiterun again, but I've managed to purchase some soul gems to keep my mace deadly. Previously the shopkeepers were out of these. We may also head up to Riverwood and see if the shopkeeper up there has any soul gems. The past two weeks have nearly cost me my life twice and have also cost me at least six hundred gold. I can't afford to continue this path.

BIGwooly

- 13th of Mid Year, 4E 202 -

Yesterday we made the trip from Riverwood to Dawnstar. It's a dangerous route, littered with the likes of snow bears and frostbite spiders and packs of hungry wolves.

Yesterday we took a few shortcuts through the forest, and one such shortcut we came across an old shrine to Talos. I had barely time to admire the statue of the man-god when a pair of ice wraiths appeared out of nowhere. Within a few moments I was feeling faint from my injuries and had to seek cover. Luckily I was able to find cover and the wraiths went after Kharjo instead of pursuing me. Unfortunately they overpowered Kharjo not too long after.

As soon as he fell to a knee I sprinted back into the battle and let the wraiths have it with my mace. One of them was near death, and died right away. The other put up a testy fight and even with Kharjo rejoining the battle I nearly died.

We had no sooner recovered from this strife when I saw Kharjo pull his bow from his back yet again. I spun around to see a frostbite spider crawling out of the trees into the ruins. We dispatched the spider, and then another a few minutes later, before we left the shrine and made our way to Dawnstar.

This morning we awoke feeling refreshed from our difficult journey, but apprehensive for our coming journey. Today we were going to seek out Ustengrav.

We really only knew the rough location of it, and being that it was in the swamps of Morthal I knew it could be a challenge to find. The obvious route was to strike off into the mountains via the road from Dawnstar to Morthal, and then cut over to Ustengrav. But I know from previous experience that the road is unsafe, and we would also have no idea when to cut off the road to head toward Ustengrav.

So I came up with a second option. We would follow the coastline from Dawnstar all the way around into the swamps. With any luck we would either come across Ustengrav directly or we would find another landmark to use to guide us in. The route was a longer one, but also more safe and more sure.

It took us most of the day to walk the coast and enter the swamps. I was on high alert, expecting a spider attack at any moment .. or worse. But we saw only a chaurus and did our diligence to avoid it.

I caught sight of a ruin just over a small hill, so we approached it to investigate. As we got close I heard a shout, and then saw four men running toward us with blood on their lips. I backpedaled a bit, my mind racing as two of the men attacked Kharjo and the other two met steel with me. One of the men assaulting Kharjo was a mage. I could see him casting spells out of the corner of my eye.

My own assailants were quickly getting the better of me, so I retreated some more. They pushed the fight and I retreated again. I was running out of options very quickly. Kharjo was still in the thick of it, and I wasn't going to get any help from him just yet.

I jumped from a patch of ice to a tiny island of land with a small tree on it. My attackers paused. I'm not sure if they were afraid to make the jump or if they were just preparing to flank me and end the fight. Either way, this short pause saved my life. Right in front of my eyes the two men fell down dead on the ice ... for no reason.

Confused, I look over to Kharjo and saw that he was no longer in a fight either. The mage was lying lifeless on the ground at his feet. I stepped forward and examined the bodies and confirmed my suspicion. Although three of the men were dressed like bandits, they had been dead all along. The mage was actually a necromancer, and upon his death the others returned to the world of the unliving as well. This is something I will have to keep in mind in the future when I confront a mage with some warriors.

It turns out they had a little camp next to the ruins I had spotted. The ruins themselves turned out to be Ustengrav. As excited as I was to venture inside, or at least spend the night at this camp, I knew we should return to Dawnstar. There was decent amount of armor we could haul back to sell to the blacksmith, and I can always handle more gold in my pocket.

So we're back in Dawnstar tonight, after spending the day finding Ustengrav. We made nearly a hundred gold from the armor we hauled back, so it was worth the trip. Tomorrow morning, at dawn, we will head out and enter Ustengrav. Gods be with us.

bulbaquil

I and all my characters wish to congratulate Hrisskar on successfully making it to Ustengrav.

Ice wraiths can be annoying simply because they blend in so well with the background and are hard to hit because of it. Personally, I sometimes have trouble with them on Adept with full HUD, at least when they attack in duos and me lacking a follower. (I play on full brightness, but in the case of ice wraiths, especially during daytime, that might actually be a detriment more than a benefit.)

I know you had Kharjo's help, but you WERE facing two ice wraiths simultaneously, which is probably considerably more than twice as hard as facing a single ice wraith. The optimal strategy is of course to attack the one with less health remaining, but without a HUD you can't really tell which one that is, so that adds further difficulty to a multiple-opponents-of-like-types battle.

Best of luck in Ustengrav. Talos guide Hrisskar :)

BIGwooly

Yeah, they are tough, especially on master. It only takes maybe 4 or 5 hits for one to kill me. And when you have 2 to fight those hits come a lot faster. And you're right, they are just plain hard to hit, and with two in the fight it's impossible to focus your efforts on just one of them. Not fun, lol.