Nord Refugee Character Diary - Hrisskar III

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

BIGwooly

- 14th of Sun's Dusk, 4E 202 -

Back to the ruins. I left early in the morning to try and make sure I could return before nightfall. It felt like all of Skyrim was asleep still. Such a peaceful ride for a change.

Once I was inside the ruins I encounter a few more ghosts. Each was fairly easy to take care of. Their cries did make me uncomfortable, though.

I hadn't gone far before I felt the power. It was unmistakeable. A word wall was near.

In fact, I could see it. It was barely visible on the other side of the room. Much more visible was a large chest right in front of the wall. As tempting as it was to run up and open the chest, I had a decent amount of experience with these word walls now. It was very likely that a very powerful draugr was lurking nearby.

So I approached slowly and cautiously. One painfully slow footstep at a time. At any moment oblivion was going to break loose. I just knew it. But the closer I got to the wall and the chest the more it seemed I was being cautious for no reason.

Finally, I was barely ten or fifteen paces from the chest. I began to creep forward more quickly, and had managed to take just three steps before disaster struck. At first I didn't even know what was happening. My world went dark and I felt like I was falling in a dream in the middle of the darkest midnight hour. Then I landed .. hard .. in water.

I splashed about for a moment while trying to regain my footing, and with water streaming down my face I suddenly realized I was inside a metal cage. There were several bodies lying floating in the water around me. Another body lay just outside the cage, and a living one stood still and gazed at me.

Finally he spoke, and it was the words of a madman. A delusional killer of men, who toyed with their deaths to bring himself pleasure. He was responsible for the ghosts roaming the ruins. And he made it clear he was also responsible for his assistant's death .. the body outside the cage.

He also made it clear he intended to kill me, and I assaulted the cage door with my mace. Metal struck metal with great force, but after two strikes I realized I wasn't getting out that way. My captor seemed to relish in every moment that my fate sank in. He was going to poison me, play with me, kill me .. then likely raise me again to be an unwilling servant of his.

I thought about using my shout of force, or even fire ... but neither was likely to kill this man outright. And even if it did, how would I get out of this cage? I would eventually starve to death. While the man searched for his special poison I frantically searched the bodies floating around me. I found some lockpicks on one of the men, but they may as well have been spoons to me.

The man was mumbling, talking to himself. He was crazed and I had to find a way out of the cage. Now.

And then I saw it. A satchel on the ground next to the cage, next to the deceased assistant. I snatched it up, not expecting to find anything of use .. but oh was I mistaken. Inside was a key, and it had to be for the cage. My salvation!

I turned and used my shout of force against the lunatic. I didn't want him to see me using the key and stop me. With his body tumbling away from me I jammed the key into the lock and turned. By the nines it opened! I was free!

I immediately set upon my captor and my new mace proved itself well. I took a bit of damage from fire spells, but my mace delivered it's own burning pain and the murderous psycho was dead.

It took some time to go through the tunnels and make my way back to the original room, but when I did I went straight to the word wall and avoided the trap. I learned a new word, a word of peace for animals of the wild. Perhaps useful, perhaps not. The chest at the base of the wall was empty. A decoy for the trap. It had worked well.

I've decided not to return to Whiterun tonight. The camp outside the ruins is decent enough, and sleeping here tonight will save me quite a bit of riding. Besides, I can't get too comfortable with sleeping in a bed now can I?

ruinscamp.jpg

bulbaquil

...is not Sjadbek, he just runs him.
Is Hrisskar level 31 yet? If so, he need never again fear disarmament. The full shout only works on level 30 or below and that cuts both ways.

It was rather freeing when Sjad hit level 31. Trying to find a disarmed weapon is hard enough with the full HUD at your disposal.

shongo3258

Vampire of Skyrim
yeah I was so excited when i saw you were going in there I wanted to see what would happen, the first time I went in there I avoided the trap but then reloaded a save just to see what would happen.

shongo3258

Vampire of Skyrim
Does anyone have a good idea for a less harsh death penalty? I just die way too often on master (might turn to expert) and dont want to wait forever and pay 300 gold its too much for me. anyone have something good that is still a challenge but wont be quite so tough

BIGwooly

Does anyone have a good idea for a less harsh death penalty? I just die way too often on master (might turn to expert) and dont want to wait forever and pay 300 gold its too much for me. anyone have something good that is still a challenge but wont be quite so tough

If you're dying a lot the solution is to go with expert difficulty, not adjust the penalty. To be honest, I think expert difficulty is a more realistic difficulty for most of the game anyways. I'm only playing on master because I started that way and want to finish that way.

shongo3258

Vampire of Skyrim
lol yeah I have been thinking about writing one but I want to do something really different. I may use an idea that I have seen people throw around about how if your a werewolf you turn at night and have no idea where you are in the morning. I may even ask someone else to play me in my werewolf form so when I come back I sincerely have no idea what has happened.

shongo3258

Vampire of Skyrim
btw I checked it out really good and I left a comment there to tell you what I think and to bump the thread

shongo3258

Vampire of Skyrim
If you're dying a lot the solution is to go with expert difficulty, not adjust the penalty. To be honest, I think expert difficulty is a more realistic difficulty for most of the game anyways. I'm only playing on master because I started that way and want to finish that way.
Yeah I think Ill go with that and reduce the amount of days because thats what really bugs me, I dont have the patience to wait for that long, I wish I could actually wait for 154 hours or whatever it is then sleep instead of doing like six 24 hour periods then sleep

shongo3258

Vampire of Skyrim
watching the yogscast on one tab and checking threads on the other, I may have discovered heaven

DarkEastwood

Yeah I think Ill go with that and reduce the amount of days because thats what really bugs me, I dont have the patience to wait for that long, I wish I could actually wait for 154 hours or whatever it is then sleep instead of doing like six 24 hour periods then sleep
Yeah I hate waiting 7 days... I think I'll do three days on this playthrough, as well as give more depth on how I managed to get back to the inn.

shongo3258

Vampire of Skyrim
I always noticed that in Hriskars journal sometimes your like luckily my follower was able to carry me back and sometimes you give no explanation. You can always come up with something outlandish.

Honourman

Has anyone played the rule that when you die, you don't technically die, you've just been KTFO or collapsed from fatigue/blood loss. However you awake completely stripped of all your items? Except maybe for your coins which are kept hidden or in your house? I think I recall it being mentioned before on this. I might give it a go. Certainly a good deterrent for recklessness, and I think a very realistic way of dealing with loss.

Ooh, just thought, it could be enemy specific, so mages loot your magical items, warriors your weapons, and bears just rape you.

shongo3258

Vampire of Skyrim
Big wooly do you think Hrisskar will ever begin to wonder what Jorravasker is and try to join the companions or any other factions. I am also curious as to how he has gone this whole time without randomly running into a daedric quest.

shongo3258

Vampire of Skyrim
Has anyone played the rule that when you die, you don't technically die, you've just been KTFO or collapsed from fatigue/blood loss. However you awake completely stripped of all your items? Except maybe for your coins which are kept hidden or in your house? I think I recall it being mentioned before on this. I might give it a go. Certainly a good deterrent for recklessness, and I think a very realistic way of dealing with loss.

Ooh, just thought, it could be enemy specific, so mages loot your magical items, warriors your weapons, and bears just rape you.
I have played that way and it is certainly entertaining if your not really good then it is ridiculously annoying. I would have a way of getting back your items such as kill the guy who killed you within like a 24 hour period. Also I think I will have nightmares tonight about bear rape :eek:

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts