Nord Refugee Character Diary - Hrisskar III

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

BIGwooly

- Middas, 16th of Evening Star, 4E 201 -

After sleeping off yesterday's battle and drinking binge, Belrand and I decided to spend another night in the bandit hideout before making a trip into Whiterun. No sense wandering around in the wild in the middle of the night.

This morning we awoke early and quietly slipped out of the cave. Our footsteps were light and we used the cover of the the pre-dawn sky to slip away from the cave and any sabre cats that might be looking for an early morning meal. I managed to step on a bandit trap, though, which hurt like hell. I remember disarming it a day earlier. I'm not sure who reset it, but I'd like to have a word with them.

The rest of the day was relatively uneventful. At one point a man with fairly nice armor ran across the river to us and then just as quickly ran away. No idea what that was all about. At another point a pair of wolves set upon us, and we took care of them quickly. No thanks to Belrand's own conjured wolf, which proceeded to attack ME during the fracas. This is becoming a serious issue, as a bit later we were accosted by a thief on the road and again Belrand's summoned pet went insane. It's hard enough to defend yourself against a thief with a pair of daggers, but when you have a wolf nipping at your arse it's that much more difficult. The wolf was even attacking Belrand this time, and I had to put it to rest for him.

I'm thinking I may encourage him to start using a shield. This would bolster his defense and prevent him from summoning psychotic wolves that choose sides on a whim. We'll see if he goes for it.

It only took half the day to get to Whiterun, which is pretty good considering the same trip took us a full day just recently. We sold what we hauled in, and browsed the shops to see if any special items had arrived. The inventories were pretty standard, so we left and spent the rest of today's daylight hours getting back to the cave.

While on the road we passed a farmer and made some small talk. He boasted of heading to Solitude to join the legion and I got a bit rude with him about it. Before I knew it we were trading blows, and I feel a bit ashamed of myself now. The farmer was obviously unskilled in combat and I struck him down quite readily. I feel horrible for initiating the argument and for dealing the first blow. It's not like me to act like that, but I guess I heard his words and just saw my father's burned body laying lifeless on the ground back in Helgen .. and something snapped.

We also passed an old ruin near the river and I could see a pair of bluish white shapes that glowed. At first I thought they were ice wraiths, but then realized their shape was more vertical than horizontal. Needless to say we didn't investigate. No need to go and find trouble. It seems to find me well enough these days.

Our bellies are full now with a meal of mammoth cheese stew and some apples and tomatoes. There's no ale left after our celebration last night, and I'm kind of wishing we had picked some up in Whiterun to bring back with us. I guess we'll survive the night without it, though. The fire sure feels nice since the air in this cave is damp and cold.

belrandfire.jpg

BIGwooly

- Turdas, 17th of Evening Star, 4E 201 -

Tonight's entry is going to be fairly short. Belrand and I just arrived in Morthal and we're exhausted. This morning we left the cave and made a trip to Whiterun to sell some gear and do some shopping. Sold the gear but bought nothing, other than food. I found an amulet that would magically increase my ability to do damage with my mace, but for two thousand gold the effect was not strong enough. Especially given that I only have that much gold on me. I have no plans to walk around Skyrim coinless again.

Afterwards we returned to the cave, collected some of the remaining bandit belongings, and then headed to Morthal. I've noticed Belrand has a nasty habit of trailing too far behind me. I even lost him for an hour or so this evening. I'm concerned at some point I'm going to get in trouble and he's not going to catch up in time. I mean, I'm walking briskly but I'm still just walking. I suppose he is old. Maybe he's not as fond of me since I killed that farmer. I know it's still weighing on my own conscience.

He also still has a nasty habit of using his magic. Despite discussing this with him delicately, and giving him a shield to use, several times today he conjured one of his infernal canines. He had been doing so well with using the shield, too. I wasn't bit at all today, so maybe he's getting better with the spell, or with controlling his creation. Either way, I'll be selling that shield once we reach Solitude. No sense keeping it if he's not going to use it.

Tonight we'll rest here in my beloved Morthal, then wake up and collect the bounty for slaying the cave brigands, and then make the long hike to Solitude. Not much else to write about, and I'm happy to have to write that. Still, my feet ache and my eyes are heavy, so I won't be making any illustrations tonight either.

BIGwooly

- Fredas, 18th of Evening Star, 4E 201 -

solitudearch.jpg

I sketched this as Belrand and I arrived outside of Solitude. It's such a magnificent city ... a magnificent nord city. I'm eager for the day when it's out of the legion's hands.

The trip from Morthal to Solitude was mostly ordinary and mundane, and I'm growing accustomed to this. The highlight of our day was having a loose-minded fool run up to us and hand us an enchanted hide shield to hold on to for him. It was obvious he was a dubious character and I indicated I didn't really want to help him, but he then threatened to kill us if we didn't cooperate. No matter, we probably could have killed him but we didn't. Instead, the moment he turned his back I dropped the shield on the ground and we walked away.

A bit later a hunter approached us and asked us about a man running in the woods, likely the fool we encountered since the hunter claims he was a thief. We pointed him in the right direction and he vowed to kill the thief. Talos be with you my friend.

Earlier this evening we sold the bit of extra gear we brought with us from the bandit cave. I purchased a very nice enchanted dwarven bow with around half my coin. I need to keep plenty around now since I'm paying Belrand's way every day in addition to my own. I would wager he has cost me around a thousand gold now total, including the original five hundred of course. That's not bad for having a second weapon beside me. Come to think of it, we've grown pretty accustomed to each other's company. I suppose it's nice to have a friend beside me as well.

No idea what the plan is for tomorrow. I hope to find that tonight at the bottom of a bottle.

Toshiro

Keep going with this diary. So enjoyable.

I live vicariously in Skyrim through this.

BIGwooly

Keep going with this diary. So enjoyable.

I live vicariously in Skyrim through this.

Hey thanks! Glad you're enjoying it and thanks for letting me know. Diary will continue, especially so you can continue to live vicariously. d;-)

BIGwooly

- Loredas, 19th of Evening Star, 4E 201 -

I awoke this morning with, of all things, dragons on my mind. I'm not quite sure why. I haven't heard any mention of the mythical beasts for several days now. Not in song. Not in text. Not in conversation. Perhaps I'm just fascinated by the idea of such a powerful beast and my imagination is bored from several days of mundane hiking.

Either way, I've decided what I'm going to do. When I woke this morning I wasn't just thinking of dragons randomly, I was thinking of that charred couple on the hillside near Riverwood. I was thinking of their note about seeing a dragon and reporting it. I was thinking about where they said it lived.

And that is where Belrand and I are headed.

Of course, as far as Belrand knows we're just off to locate an old bandit camp I once came upon. I figure it's best to keep him in the dark about this. It's not like I believe in dragons. I just want to see this place the couple was talking about. But still, no sense giving him reason to take leave of me now. I've invested quite a bit in him. I don't think he minds anyways. He's old and just happy to have me buy him food and drink every night.

Oddly enough, as we went to board the cart to Whiterun a courier showed up with a note for me. Apparently someone in Markarth is interested in the bow I just purchased, and is willing to pay me substantially if I deliver it to them. Well, first off, I must say it's quite strange that I just purchased the weapon yesterday and received a note about it this morning. It must be at least a full night's journey from Markarth. I'm at a loss as to how this came about, and it makes me uneasy.

And then of course there is the issue of the bow itself. It's a wonderful construction and will definitely be a benefit to me in combat. In fact, I have yet to shoot a single arrow with it, and it would be a shame to purchase such a weapon and never use it. I'm keeping it for now.

Well, my eyes are once again beginning to drift so I shall stop writing for the night. We made it to Whiterun and that's all that mattered today. Tomorrow we head to Riverwood and, barring any distractions, into the mountains for a little ... search.

BIGwooly

- Sundas, 20th of Evening Star, 4E 201 -

Well, we were distracted. The walk from Whiterun to Riverwood was uneventful. But shortly after leaving Riverwood we came across an old mine. I had seen this mine before, months ago. I remember an old woman out front warning me away. But today there was a brute with an axe, and even Belrand made a comment about bandits.

I approached the man to see if we could talk. I was curious if the old woman was safe. But he wasn't in a talking mood, unless he always let's his axe do the talking. He charged and Belrand and I made short work of him. It was actually a bit strange how quickly we overpowered him.

Inside the mine we narrowly avoided a trap that probably would have killed at least one of us, if not both together. A bit further we came across a large, cavernous room with a raised bridge. There was an outlaw below us, using a pick against a mine deposit. I took my new dwarven bow into my hands and readied an arrow. To my utter satisfaction and joy the bandit dropped with a single shot. A second bandit appeared out of blackness but his enthusiasm was no match for us. He also fell quickly.

We pushed through the rest of the mine fairly fast, killing another three or four bandits without a great deal of effort. This particular group of outlaws should have practiced their fighting skills a bit more than their drinking skills. But I'm not complaining. It was nice to have an easy fight for a change. And it looks to be a decent score as well. I see it taking us the next several days to ferry the bandit gear to Riverwood for sale.

It's still fairly early in the evening and we could probably make Riverwood and back before it was too dark, but I'm thinking we'll just rest for a bit and call it a day. We have plenty of backbreaking work ahead of us so no need to rush it. Besides, it will give me time to do another sketch. This one will be of one of our bandit victims, who managed to get hung up on a bridge after I struck her with an arrow from afar.

bandithanging.jpg

forhorsmn

Can't wait for the next entry. I think when you do make this into a book I'll treat myself to first edition hard cover copy LOL

BIGwooly

Can't wait for the next entry. I think when you do make this into a book I'll treat myself to first edition hard cover copy LOL

Haha, awesomeness. Although I'm pretty sure Bethesda would never let me do that. d;-)

BIGwooly

- Morndas, 21st of Evening Star, 4E 201 -

I really miss this part of Skyrim. The area around Riverwood reminds me so much of home. So idyllic. And void of snow and most of the really nasty creatures that call Skyrim home. After the tribulations of the last month or two, I could handle hanging out here for a few weeks.

Today was a day of manual labor. Belrand and I made five trips to Riverwood from the mine, hauling back all sorts of bandit weaponry and food and such. Despite the back exit of the cave being very close to the town, it still took us from sunrise to sunset to finish our work. I also decided to sell my nice dwarven mace and purchase a soul gem to infuse new magic energy into my old mace. Belrand had been using my old scorching mace of iron, but he switched to a dwarven dagger recently and seems to prefer it. I'm happy to have my old friend back on my hip refreshed and ready for action.

We're at the inn now, getting ready to call it a night for real. Neither of us wanted to spend another night in the mine. The place is big, and who knows if this bandit gang has other members that just happen to be out and about. I wouldn't want to be in a deep sleep if they happened to come back and find all their fellow thieves slain and naked. Besides, I have enough gold to afford a real bed and not a bedroll. My back will thank me in the morning. I'm sure Belrand feels the same.

Funny thing, I've noticed Belrand likes to joke with me. I'm in full favor of a sense of humor, but I do prefer some variety. Belrand seems to think it's funny every time I hand him something to carry, to ask if he gets to keep it. Now the first time it was mildly amusing, a bit less because he laughed at his own joke. But after today's activities I was positively going mad over it. But how do you say something to someone? How do you tell them they aren't being funny anymore ... or ever? I don't want to hurt his feelings.

I guess that's just what happens when you spend a lot of time with someone. You just start to notice things more and sometimes they get to you. My father always used to joke about my mother like that. Once married he noticed that she always had to organize the food barrels a certain way, and she noticed that he would wear the same clothes for a week.

I miss them both.

BIGwooly

BIGwooly

- Tirdas, 29th of Evening Star, 4E 201 -

Belrand and I set out in a gloomy rainstorm early in the morning. The sky was still asleep, save for the occasional flash of lightning. The only sounds were of rumbling thunder and our boots on the road. It seemed all of Skyrim was still enjoying a peaceful slumber.

We made our way out of Riverwood and up the road toward my old island camp. There was an oddly comforting sense of nostalgia upon me as we walked. The area was like my second home in Skyrim.

I took a shortcut off of the road down to a hunter's camp. I wanted to say hello to my old friend. But he was gone and a female hunter was now calling his camp home. She didn't seem to know anything of the other hunter, so maybe he decided to move on. I hope he's okay.

A short bit later I introduced Belrand to my old island camp. It was still as I had left it; even the few belongings I had left behind were still there. We took a break for an hour and I showed Belrand my favorite fishing spots. We caught several salmon and then cooked them over the fire for breakfast.

Then we were off, with the drizzle still falling on our backs. I led Belrand all the way to the cabin where the couple had been burned to death. I decided to come clean and tell Belrand the truth. I told him the whole story, how I had found the place and how it smelled. I explained the note I found, and that I wanted to try and find this place the couple talked about. Not that I believed a dragon actually lived there, but just to see what did. Belrand, oddly enough, didn't have anything to say on the matter. He seemed content in following me on my quest to satisfy my curiosity. Fair enough. Onward.

We followed the river down from the cabin and then broke off onto a path the led up the nearby mountain. A fox trotted along in front of us and I took that as a good sign. Generally when I see a fox running in front of me that means the road is clear. It's like a good luck omen of sorts. So we followed the fox.

The path climbed and climbed, and the day grew later and later. We ran across another hunter quite a ways up. The view from her camp was breathtaking. Through the snow flurries I could make out Falkreath and the ruin nearby. But daylight was running thin so we didn't stay for long.

An hour or so later I broke off the path to climb to a peak for a better view. Right below this peak was an ancient structure. I could also see a pair of wolves wandering around and a chest out in the open. The cliffs were very steep all around this place and I knew Belrand would likely put up resistance to trying to go down them. So I told him to stay put while I tried to find another way down.

It was getting pretty late and I was in a bit of a hurry. The area seemed safe enough from what I had seen so far .. no sabre cats or trolls or bandits ... but I didn't want to press our luck and get caught up on this mountain in the dark. Sometimes it seems the worst things creep about in the dark.

In my haste, however, I lost my footing and started to slide down a very high and very steep cliff. I frantically tried to gain some footing as I fell, but the rock was too steep. The last thing I remember is going from sliding to tumbling ...

It's a good thing I asked Belrand to stay put because he heard my yell as I fell. After some time he located my unconscious body and carried me back to Riverwood, where I've spent the last week. It's also where I've just spent three hundred gold to pay for our room and board. That one wrong step cost me a lot of coin. Still, I'm lucky it wasn't my life.

This morning I'm well enough to leave the inn. Belrand is game, so we're heading back to the ancient ruin. I plan to be more careful this time, though.

BIGwooly

- Middas, 30th of Evening Star, 4E 201 -

Well, I've lost Belrand. After hiking all the way back to the ruin on the mountain, I was trying to find a suitable way down to it. I hear some yelling above me, and a sword being unsheathed. As quickly as I could I climbed back up, which was no easy task considering the terrain. I moved with haste, but with caution as well. I had no intention of spending another week on my back in Riverwood.

By the time I got back up to where I had left Belrand he was gone. Not gone as in dead, although that is still a distinct possibility. But he was certainly gone in the sense that I was unable to find him anywhere nearby. I waited for around an hour or so but he never returned. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't just run off on me, as he did go through a lot of effort to save my life a week ago. I don't want to think about the alternative, though.

With Belrand missing there was no point in going back to Riverwood without at least making one last attempt to reach the ruin. Another hour or so later and I was safely down the cliff. It was a tricky route, and I found myself completely stuck at one point. I was caught in a deep and narrow crevice and caught well. It dawned on me that Belrand may have just save my life a week ago so that I could spend this next week starving to death. That is, if the cold or something more sinister didn't kill me first.

Luckily I didn't give up and after an exhausting series of escape attempts I somehow .. miraculously .. freed myself. Once down into the area of the ruin I found the ice wolves I had seen before. I took one down with arrows and finished the other off with my mace. Then I moved in to investigate the ruin.

It was a large semi-circular stone structure with some steps leading up to it. It reminded me of a throne, but a throne for something very large. There was carving all over it, including some writing along the bottom in some foreign language. As beautiful as it was, my eye was drawn back to the chest that lay before it.

I approached the chest slowly, looking for traps. There were skeletons littering the whole area, and I couldn't be certain it was the wolves that were responsible. But as I neared the chest the structure caught my attention again. Among the words carved along the bottom of the stone it seemed one of them was glowing. I only say they are words because of what happened next.

I took the steps and and walked closer, mesmorized by the glowing text. The closer I got the more brilliantly it seemed to glow. As I closed to just a few paces away magic .. light .. of some sort ... began to curl from the characters and encircle me. I should have run. I should have panicked. But I didn't. It just felt ... right, somehow. It was then that the glowing and strobing reached it's climax and left me temporarily blinded. It also left me with this strange feeling that I know something I didn't know before.

I'm struggling to explain this in such a way as I don't appear to have lost my mind, but I'm failing. All I can say is I know a word, in a language I don't know. I know the word means 'allegiance'. And if I were to speak it right now it would sound like 'mir'. That's not what the word on the wall looks like, though. It looks like ancient characters from an ancient language.

I'm completely puzzled by what has just happened, and I'm beside myself that Belrand wasn't around to witness it. Who would ever believe me if I told this story to them? I wouldn't. That's for sure. I may not even mention it to Belrand, assuming I ever see him again.

It's late afternoon now. The sun will be setting in just a couple of hours, so I should get moving and find a way down the mountain. I haven't decided if I'll try and go back up to see if Belrand has returned, or if I'll just head to Riverwood for the night. I guess it depends on how quick my journey down is. I don't want to be navigating in the dark .. alone.

But first, before I leave, I have to make a sketch of this mysterious place. Hopefully I'll meet someone in my journeys that can help me understand what this place is. The sketch may help them.

ancientruin.jpg

BIGwooly

- Middas, 30th of Evening Star, 4E 201 -

I'm really missing Belrand. His company alone is reassuring, but having just run into a bandit I'm missing his sword as well.

When I headed down from the ruin I discovered an entrance to a cave just below it. But venturing into a cave didn't seem like a good idea, so I looked for another way down the mountain. There was no easy route, but below me I could see another trail. So I worked my way down to it.

By the time I reached the trail the sun had set it was dark. It turns out the trail I had spotted leads to a cave entrance, and now I'm thinking the previous cave entrance I found is actually an exit. That would explain why it was so difficult to reach the ruin from the way I came. It was never intended to be found that way.

But the darkness kept me from thinking too much about this. It was time to get moving and get back to Riverwood before I ran into trouble.

Too late. No sooner had I taken three steps on the trail than I saw a shadowy figure in the distance running through the trees. At first I thought it was Belrand. It looked a lot like him, from what I could tell. I left the trail and jogged towards him, then froze in my tracks.

In the moonlight I could make out the shape of the man's helmet, and it was not Belrand's. In addition I could make out the outline of an axe, and Belrand carries a sword. In an instant I dropped into a crouch and moved my hand to my mace. For a moment it seemed I had avoided detection, but then the figure turned and started up the hill towards me. I held fast, though, not moving a muscle. Barely breathing. There was still a chance he might not see me.

He got closer .. and closer ... and then I could see him clearly in the dim light. He wore an old iron helmet and some battle-tested fur armor. This was definitely not Belrand, and definitely not someone looking to share a conversation with me.

I remained frozen, hoping beyond hope that the brigand wouldn't see me. He walked right past me. I could have reached out and touched his axe he was so close. A voice inside my head urged me to strike his back with my mace, but without Belrand I was feeling vulnerable and not up for a fight. Certainly not a fight in the dark that could draw the attention of other fiends.

The man continued past me up the hillside. I let my muscles relax a bit. He had missed me and was going to give up. Almost. He reached the trail where I had been just a minute earlier .. stopped .. then turned and peered back down the hill ... right at me. At first he didn't move. Then he started walking slowly back down the hill. I couldn't tell if he had seen me or was just returning to wherever he had come from.

Once again he got closer .. and closer ... and then, in a moment of clarity, I realized he was moving just a bit faster than a moment before. He had spotted me! I raised my mace up high to deliver a powerful blow and he did the same with his axe.

Clang! We struck each other at exactly the same time. He was strong, but so was I. I raised by my shield to prepare for his next blow, but then realized I had him beat by just a hair of a second. So instead of waiting for his next blow, I slammed him in the face with my shield. The bash caused him to stumble backwards, and I was ready. My mace burned through the air and struck the highwayman with a scorching blow. He fell to the ground .. dead.

After relieving him of the bit of gold he carried, I left the bandit and pushed on through the darkness. In a short time I came across the silhouette of a cabin in the forest. I moved in to investigate, hoping it would help me get my bearings. As fortune would have it, it was the cabin of the couple that prompted me on this trek in the first place.

And this is where I sit now. There's no point hiking through the dark to Riverwood. Not when there is a perfectly usable bed right here. Although I'll admit I'll feel a bit strange sleeping in this couple's bed.

Tomorrow I'll try and get up early and go look for Belrand again. Making my way through the forest tonight confirmed how much I appreciate having him by my side. I hope I find him tomorrow.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts