Non lethal combat for merciful characters

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

KayO199X

I heard in Bethesda's next game "Dishonored" you can complete the entire game without killing anybody by using a wide array of non lethal combat techniques. I wish this sorta thing was in Skyrim. Here are some ideas...

Choking Move...
A new sneak move unlocked early on. Sneaking up on an NPC and activating them now gives two options, pickpocket and subdue. If you sellect subdue, the dragonborn will silently choke out the NPC. If succesful the enemy will pass out without dieing. Succeful use of the subdue move net you alot of Sneaking XP.

Sleeping darts/arrows...
Sleeping darts are a special type of ammunition for your ranged weapons. Rather than damaging the enemy, sleeper darts will cause the enemy to fall asleep.

Hypnotize Spell...
A mid level illusion spell. Causes the enemy to fall asleep.

Sleeping enemies...
When you use any of the above methods to put the enemy to sleep, they will remain asleep for the next 6 hours. However, if an alley of theirs finds them, they will wake their sleeping friend early.

What's your opinion on this?

thecelticlatino

I agree. I do hope for the next Fallout or Elder Scrolls (both) this could be a viable option.

In Fallout 1 & 2 I heard you could play a pacifist character, yet in 3/New Vegas you're forced to kill. In Skyrim especially, where enemies plead for their lives, I think it could've been optional to simply 'arrest' your enemies if you had bound rope and turn them to the local guards (or just set them free and let them run away in the wilderness). For a radiant quest where the game recognizes your character as a pacifist, it could include bounty hunter style quests where you could hunt an individual and turn him/her in.

Especially with the unarmed update, where some of the moves look like they merely knockout enemies (the hiptoss, bodyslam), I think it would've been great to have that as an option.

Here's hoping for that inclusion in the future!

Tosh Raka

Tiger Dragon of Ka'Po'Tun
Turning Skyrim/ES into metal gear... Hmm. Interesting. Wouldn't mind testing my sneak skill on that. It allows for sneaky pickpocket builds and passive Mage builds...

As long as white run guards don't turn around with an exclamation point on their heads ;)

Tosh Raka

Tiger Dragon of Ka'Po'Tun
Snaaaaaaaaaakeeeee!
Uhhhh is mean...
Doooovahkiiiin!

KayO199X

In Skyrim especially, where enemies plead for their lives, I think it could've been optional to simply 'arrest' your enemies if you had bound rope and turn them to the local guards

This reminds me of how combat works in 'Infamous'. Protagonist Cole Porter never kills enemies outright in normal combat, but rather incompasitates them. From here he has 3 options that effect his karma differently. Finish them off (neutral if criminal, evil if civilian), Restrain them if they are a criminal (good), heal them if they are a civilian (good), or drain their lifeforce to give Cole more power (Always evil).

The restrain move could work in skyrim for enemies who are knocked down, but not killed.

thecelticlatino

This reminds me of how combat works in 'Infamous'. Protagonist Cole Porter never kills enemies outright in normal combat, but rather incompasitates them. From here he has 3 options that effect his karma differently. Finish them off (neutral if criminal, evil if civilian), Restrain them if they are a criminal (good), heal them if they are a civilian (good), or drain their lifeforce to give Cole more power (Always evil).

The restrain move could work in skyrim for enemies who are knocked down, but not killed.

This would be great for both of Bethesda's series. For Fallout it could affect karma while for Skyrim it would affect radiant quests and reputation. Perhaps with the next TES game there could be a split in the Fighter's Guild between do-gooders who act as bounty hunters and those who kill their enemies. Those who choose to be merciful might take quests from guards while those who kill could be contract killers for hire (similar to the bounty quests in Skyrim).

Janus3003

Skyrim Marriage Counselor
Turning Skyrim/ES into metal gear... Hmm. Interesting. Wouldn't mind testing my sneak skill on that. It allows for sneaky pickpocket builds and passive Mage builds...

As long as white run guards don't turn around with an exclamation point on their heads ;)
BALGRUUF: Thane, what happened!? Thane? THAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANE!!!!

THALMOR: I love recharging in the middle of a battle!

DRAGONBORN: Crab battle.

Squirrel_killer-

The blade in the dark and the hand at your throat
This would be great for both of Bethesda's series. For Fallout it could affect karma while for Skyrim it would affect radiant quests and reputation. Perhaps with the next TES game there could be a split in the Fighter's Guild between do-gooders who act as bounty hunters and those who kill their enemies. Those who choose to be merciful might take quests from guards while those who kill could be contract killers for hire (similar to the bounty quests in Skyrim).
Oblivion had a fame/infamy system didn't it?

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts