[NEWS] TESO to be Subscription based

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Will you still buy TESO?

• Total voters

High King of Skyrim

King of the barbarian horde
A boycott is childish, not unlike a toddler in the shopping centre who throws a tantrum because mummy and daddy didn't buy them the toy they wanted. Now, I can fully appreciate that we live in hard times at the moment, the prices of things seem to keep rising while our wages sit idle. Many of us who budget are stretched thin, with no breathing room whatsoever and as a young father raising a family, I know this just as much as the next bloke. Despite all of this though I'll be subscribing. I've been looking forward to this game for far too long to let a measly $15.00 a month stand in my way. To everyone else though, who's crunched the numbers and still cannot possibly afford it, there's still a way! Birthdays, Christmas, father/mother's day and tax time. These occasions we are usually given gifts by family and loved ones and tax returns provide much needed relief on us all. For those who've said they were never going to buy it anyway, the fee shouldn't be an issue for and for those who can afford it but are to damn tight to fork out the cash, have a glass of concrete and harden the fluff up, cause I've got some bad news for you. Nothing in this world is free.
Course not but on the other hand why pay 15$ a month on top of 60$ for this When Skyrim is still out and there are plenty of Free to Play mmos?
Play, don't play. Nobody cares. I can't wait to subscribe and get into this awesome new game. Tipping I won't be alone either. Not interested in other MMO's, just this one.

Reaper0021

Steam: Reaper0021
I also add this: Having played WoW for almost 10 years and recently Star Wars....I can say that, as of now, Star Wars being "free to play" has gone to the dogs. I now see all kinds of kids on it where before I was, on my level 50 Sith Assassin, surrounded by older gamers. Gamers in the 18+ range moreover I think. Atleast, our guild was made-up of over 77 members of which only 7 were 18-20 or so. Since it's gone free to play, every kid with access to mommy and daddy's "Puter" has downloaded the client and is on. All I heard was the typical "You suck Noob" "fluff-You Noob" "Your momma is so ugly" and yeah....you get the idea. Less of that on WoW (where I play...on 4 servers...2 pvp, 2 pve). I support the Sub Fee simply because it would help to mitigate who can and can't get on it. Hard for 12 year old Timmie to get on it when he has no money and no credit card. Besides, this is my hobbie and I can afford to support my habit. If you can't, then I do feel for you, I truly do and I know the economy is hard, but it's not a requirement that we all play TESO....it's a luxury.

P.S.
I'll pay for a year of it in advance just as I did with Star Wars and as I currently do with WoW. "So" you may ask or "why?"....because this is a HOBBIE. Need to feed the greed of the monkey on your back.

Mr.Self Destruct

Chosen Undead
I wish more MMO's would follow the Guild Wars business model of a one time fee.

For me, subscriptions aren't worth the money and hassle.

NachyoChez

I was a huge GW fan, as well as GW2, but they had to make some massive sacrifices for that model. It seems to be working, but the feature I loved most, Wv3, suffered the most. They've tried to fix it, but I'm personally more interested in what TESO is offering at this point!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Bertrum

Stop Hodoring!
I've never really played MMORPG's before so other than XBL / PS+ I've never had any dealings with subscription fees for games, however it doesn't deter me from playing the game in the slightest.

The way I see it is for smokers, don't buy a pack of 20 ciggarettes one day, that's like £8 saved. For people who eat a lot of McDonalds, give it a miss. You can see where this is going...

I bet on football a lot, especially if there's a chance of Everton being beat :D So I'll just do one less bet a month..

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim

Guild Wars isn't an MMO. The business model works for NCSoft because it doesn't require the resources of an actual MMORPG.

NachyoChez

Guild Wars isn't an MMO. The business model works for NCSoft because it doesn't require the resources of an actual MMORPG.
I'd argue that Guild Wars 2 is a full-fledged MMO (while agreeing that the original was not). It does, however, sacrifice way too much for its model to be viable for TESO.

Ender

If I were a Computer player I would be okay with the monthly fee but I'm not about to shell out a subscription to Sony for playing online and then also to Bethesda for playing online.

NachyoChez

If I were a Computer player I would be okay with the monthly fee but I'm not about to shell out a subscription to Sony for playing online and then also to Bethesda for playing online.
You don't have to.
Sony has announced that you will not need PSN to play TESO.

Ender

You don't have to.
Sony has announced that you will not need PSN to play TESO.

PS+ required for online play:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/11/e3-2013-playstation-plus-required-for-ps4-online-play

Bethesda trying to go against this but so far nothing set:
http://gamerant.com/the-elder-scrolls-online-xbox-live-ps-plus-subscriptions/

And most importantly any resolve they do have is going to mean if you don't pay for PS+ they might be able to get it to the point you can still play TESO but the cost would be at not being able to play any other games such as Destiny. And why would Microsoft or Sony buckle on this? TESO is basically trying to steal its subscribers.

The only solution would be for TESO/Bethesda to arrange a small cut of the subscriptions that are playing TESO. Sony and Microsoft benefit from the added user base, Bethesda gets commission for it, and End-Users aren't double paying.

Ender

The reality is the only subscription model for consoles is complete crap. Imagine if in addition to your internet provider you also had to pay a monthly fee to Mac or Windows to be able to access the internet you already pay for. That's what console subscribers are being forced into.

NachyoChez

Apologies; when Bethesda originally pushed Microsoft to waive Xbox Live requirements, the article I read said PSN had them removed. That article has been replaced with one that says PSN is not yet mentioned. At the moment, since Bethesda is pushing so hard, it's really a coin toss on how it will go.

As for the sub model- in order to be what it needs to be, TESO needs the sub model. The extra payment to Microsoft for my XBL account doesn't phase me; it's the same I would have needed for a solid VC setup anyway, and is easier to use/more stable than most in the price range.

jarif

Apologies; when Bethesda originally pushed Microsoft to waive Xbox Live requirements, the article I read said PSN had them removed. That article has been replaced with one that says PSN is not yet mentioned. At the moment, since Bethesda is pushing so hard, it's really a coin toss on how it will go.

As for the sub model- in order to be what it needs to be, TESO needs the sub model. The extra payment to Microsoft for my XBL account doesn't phase me; it's the same I would have needed for a solid VC setup anyway, and is easier to use/more stable than most in the price range.

Its Zenimax that isn't charging for the fees but Zenimax Media inc. The business part of Zenimax

Bertrum

Stop Hodoring!
I wonder how many people who are saying they wont pay the subscription fee for TESO, will pay for XBL / PS+ anyway, then purchase every Halo / COD map pack that is released, then go on to purchase the yearly COD release.

My best argument about this is one I had with my brother, he is against the subscription fee for TESO, however he has spent in excess of £250 in the past 7-8 months buying MS Points to buy player packs in Fifa 13.

The people who really want to play TESO will pay it, those who just want to be on the ESO bandwagon will complain about the subscription.

I wonder how many people pay for subscriptions to Netflix, Lovefilm & Crunchroll and then watch maybe one or two shows per month, if they watch any at all?

Bosmeri-foxling

It's not really that expensive, and it's something I think is fair. I've played F2P games before, and the majority are crap. For $60 to buy the game and $15 a month, I seriously hope that the game is worth it, and if they update as much as they say they are planing to, then yes, it will be worth it. I can see the point behind people not wanting to pay for ESO on top of XBL or PSN. It does seem slightly unfair.

But what will pis me off is if they introduce a cash shop with "pay for items" or "pay for privilige" on top of the subscription fee.

And for the record I am 1)19 and 2) I pay for my own MMO's, with my own money (that amazingly, isn't pocket money, and that I earned), on my own computer that I paid for, on an internet connection that I also pay for, and I really do find the comment about "teenagers aged 18-20" kinda not fair.

utael

But it is true, most people your age don't have to pay bills so they have no problem forkin out the cash every month. Just sayin.

Bosmeri-foxling

But it is true, most people your age don't have to pay bills so they have no problem forkin out the cash every month. Just sayin.

True true. Sadly, I am not one of those people, and that wasn't what annoyed me at the time. It was mostly that people my age went onto these games with the intent of being rude/upsetting. Which is the reason I mostly avoid MMO's. There are a lot of people on there, and sadly, I do suspect that a lot of them are teenagers.

jarif

TESO is going to be awesome but Destiny is a another story, I think I am going to become more of a Destiny fan than TES fan so those who are upset about this than its time to move on but its your choice.

Godzillaman 08

I'm glad its not Free to play, but I wish it was a one time fee like Guild Wars 2, but too be honest I was never really hyped for ESO to begin with, I just Fallout 4...

jarif

I've changed my mind, I am paying for the fee permanently. (I decided before I pay for it for a few months)
It's only 8.99 in £ which isn't a lot and let me explain including paying for ''one'' month.
Firstly the time, theirs 60 seconds in a minute, 60 mins in a hour, 24 hours in a day, seven days a week, four weeks in a month. If you really think about that does sound like a long time depending on how your feeling e.g: when you get that feeling time has flied but nonetheless it can feel a long time and if you truly want the best experience of a Elder scrolls game that feel a long time, all those nostalgia as those pass by and have that never ending Elder Scrolls game for 10 years than pay for it.

You could easily save up that money via a allowance or lunch money within a week and go get that ESO voucher card or gift cards than go get it!

Sean

lost somewhere
I've changed my mind, I am paying for the fee permanently. (I decided before I pay for it for a few months)
It's only 8.99 in £ which isn't a lot and let me explain including paying for ''one'' month.
Firstly the time, theirs 60 seconds in a minute, 60 mins in a hour, 24 hours in a day, seven days a week, four weeks in a month. If you really think about that does sound like a long time depending on how your feeling e.g: when you get that feeling time has flied but nonetheless it can feel a long time and if you truly want the best experience of a Elder scrolls game that feel a long time, all those nostalgia as those pass by and have that never ending Elder Scrolls game for 10 years than pay for it.

You could easily save up that money via a allowance or lunch money within a week and go get that ESO voucher card or gift cards than go get it!

Then throw in the console subscription and it is more.
Even if they get it so that people don't need a subscription to one of the console's services, typically a person who has one will also be paying for the console's subscription.

They should just up the base price of the game (from $60 to $100) and then just only require the service for the system (unless they are on PC, and thus people on PC would have to pay just like a typical MMO).

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts