• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

sophie1234

hi im new to skyrim and was just looking for some guidance on which charecter to start with ? iv read alot online but dunno which to have so any help would be appricated . thanks x

Nocte Aeterna

Sir Not-Appearing-in-This-Film
The beauty of Skyrim is that you can literally start with any race or build and cater it to your liking. Like magic? Try exploring the many skills in that field and see which work best for you. I wouldn't worry about builds yet. At this early point, I would recommend that you simply do as many quests as you can and explore the vast world around you. The possibilities are almost limitless.

xsneakyxsimx

Hey sophie1234. I would say go for a straight-forward build, preferably a warrior. They offer good survivability from the start, compared to a Mage or Thief/Rouge.

Pretty Vampires

Bunny Foo Foo
Better to start off as a warrior, just as the guy above me mentioned.

Picking a Nord is the safest bet, as you'll feel at home, whereas playing an Argonian will make you feel like you're in a desert.

sophie1234

oh ok thank you. from what i was reading online befor i joined this forum i got the impression that haveing the correct charecter would help u in the long run in the game .x

Pretty Vampires

Bunny Foo Foo
oh ok thank you. from what i was reading online befor i joined this forum i got the impression that haveing the correct charecter would help u in the long run in the game .x

The character you pick has more to do with how you want to feel playing the game. If you want to feel a hunter and also is a vegetarian, playing a Bosmer would feel "right". If you want to be a mage, playing an Altmer or Breton would feel more "right" than the other races. If you want to be a thief, playing as a Khajit would feel "right". It's all subjective, but other than that, any character is fit to play whatever style you want.

xsneakyxsimx

I tend to think like that too, but it's a good idea to start with simple, easy to use play-styles, then figure out what you do and don't like from them. Experimentation is key. :)

annelid

Noob
Best advice from my perspective as a fellow newbie - don't overthink it, pick what feels right and go with it - you can always, and will almost certainly, start again with a new, different, character anyway.

I went with a Wood Elf to start with, but have now gone back and started a parallel run through with a Nord.

Nocte Aeterna

Sir Not-Appearing-in-This-Film
If you're looking for a simplistic build, try this:

Build Name: Ravager/Berserker
Skill Focus: Two-Handed, Block, Heavy Armor, Smithing.
Race: Redguard, Orc, or Nord works best.
Summary: A beginner's build for those who want to feel and look powerful. You'll be dishing out immense amounts of damage with your weapon, and you'll shrug off blows with armor and blocking alike. This build doesn't require much strategy - use healing potions if need be. They're rather common. At higher levels, you can optionally explore Enchanting to increase your damage output and resistances.

kyleekay

sophie1234, don't be afraid to restart your character if you're not having fun after the first several levels. It may take you a little longer than others to find a race and play-style that suits you best.

Welcome to the forums, have fun! :)

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
I'm a relative newbie myself (1st character started as a warrior and am now at 42). I started with the easiest build to gain experience, someone close to what I am in real life so I could relate I found out early that I needed to be able to defend myself, so be sure you have a weapon and know how to use it. While I tried early on to play one type of character, it is constantly evolving. The quests will lead you. I thought I would be a straight up warrior guy going around like a white knight saving the fair maidens and killing dragons, but have evolved in to something else. As your levels rise, you can perk up in skills in all kinds of things, from 2 handed weaponry to restorative magic. I'm kind of all over the place, but it's cool to be able to do that!

Good luck and stay on the forums and let us know how you're enjoying yourself. Above all! Have a good time! Suggest you start at Novice level for the first 10 levels or so, just 'til you get used to the mechanics and just what your character can do.

Mighty Pecan Pie

The secret American
Reactions: Vex

Two Bears

Really with the elimination of the class system, Skyrim is pretty straight forward. Just grab a bunch of gear, equip some spell, and try them out. When you find things that you like, use them and your character will get better at them. It's a very simple system.

orca45

What we do in life, echoes in the eternity !
I have played this game more than 12 times. I started a new game 2 days ago and I am playing as assassin type. Stealth, Illusion, Conjuration and Archery is the way I kill now. Not more face to face combat and I am having a lot of fun when I use my MAYHEM spell and I see every single one of them killing each other. I am enjoying the show ... just my 2 cents ..and happy gaming .. :mad:

sophie1234

hi every one sorry for the delay in replying just came of skyrim lol time for bed lol just done the claw level and just gone back into the open world of skyrim thank u for all ur help im doing really well, and enjoying soo much !! getting carried away . night x

Nakatsu_Hime

Oh, and just a reminder. If you are playing Skyrim on a console, especially PS3, remember to do a manual save at regular intervals. It will save a lot of frustration if you happen to fall off a cliff after a day's gaming, I assure you.

MagicBlade

Instinctive
Start of simple, If you go in with this complex character when your still getting used to the controls and all, you'd be failing. A simple warrior or mage is easy...