• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Bira96

Delvin made me snap yesterday.. I finally managed to get a job done for him because he sent me to Markarth, and I really didn't want to go to Markarth. So when I went back to collect my pay, but he revoked it, scolding me for getting arrested, even though I never got arrested once in the entire game. He's so lucky he's essential...
But this was just the straw that broke the camel's back. I was reluctant to join in the first place, the only reasons I did so was one, so Brynjolf would leave me alone whenever I entered the city, and two, so I could finish the No Stone Unturned quest. But I lost interest in that when I found out you don't even get to keep the stupid crown after all that work. I soon grew a bitter taste in my mouth when Maven became Jarl and yelled at me when I did her a favor. (Apparently I was trying to win the hearts of her court members and steal her throne.. bah.) Knowing that I would officially become her slave if I advanced any further in the questline spoiled the whole experience for me forever; I don't think I'll ever enjoy the unique experience of the Thieves Guild ever again. Pray for me, this bitterness is killing me.
Knowing that, I've found a mod that let's me destroy the Thieves Guild, similar to the alternate quest where you can kill the dark brotherhood instead of joining them. As much as I'd love to wipe out all of those horrible people, I would have to start a new game in order for it to work, and I do not want to do that. I finished the main quest line and the Companions questline as well, and while I would enjoy going through the Companions story again, I am much more reluctant to repeat all of the work I did to get through the main questline, and I despise the thought of having to deal with the Blades again; I hate them almost as much as the Thieves Guild now. Not to mention the fact that I just found all of the words of Elemental Fury, and it would suck to have to track them all down over again. In short, I was in a really good spot before the Delvin incident, and a lot more unfortunate mishaps, reared their ugly heads, so now I am very confused about what to do.
Of course, since I've now been banished from the Thieves Guild for my violent response to Delvin's idiocy, I could ignore them indefinitely; I have absolutely no reason to ever return there, but I think this little seething ball of bitterness is only going to burn hotter every time I see that stupid quest tag "Reparations" in my journal. So, should I carry on with all of my hard won rewards, or just start fresh and take out my rage on that awful guild once and for all? And while were at, have you guys ever had any near game wrecking experiences? Was there ever a time in Skyrim that made you so angry you wanted to quit playing forever? Please, share them and help me feel better.

JoeReese

I don't think it made me want to quit forever, but it made me roll a new character. I succumbed to pressure to try to the DB and TG quests, and that's NOT my cup of tea.

That being said, I destroy them both in every game now, albeit through use of the console commands.

If you feel you'd like to wipe them out but aren't familiar with the commands, let me know. That way you don't have to start a new game.

Bira96

Well, that wasn't the only horrible thing that happened to me in one day. Barbas, that annoying dog from "A Daedra's Best Friend", kept running into me and pushing me into other NPC's and trapping me in corners, and almost pushed me off a cliff. After that, I spent half an hour chasing a stupid dragon in the reach that kept flying in circles, making it impossible to hit him, and only landed on an isolated cliff 50 miles away, and when I finally killed him, Miraak swooped in and stole the soul. Did you know Miraak could travel to the main land now? I know.
Anyway, I was always confused with the console commands and trying to use them always failed for me terribly, even the simple ones, but I think it's worth a shot. Would you mind sharing the codes with me?

JoeReese

Not at all. Here goes.

Before you do anything else, make a save. A hard save, not an autosave or quick save. This way, if something goes wrong, you reload the save and it never happened, like that thing nobody talks about in Vegas that time.

You know ~ opens the console.

Maven, Hemming, and Mercer Frey are relatively simple. You type SETESSENTIAL plus their code number and 0, which sets them from unkillable (1) to dead meat. :)

So, setessential 1b07c 0 sets Mercer Frey to killable.
setessential 1336a 0 does the same for Maven
setessential 13362 0 is Hemming

Once done, you can stab, shoot, or fry them to your heart's content.

Brynjolf is a strange case. He's not only unkillable, but invulnerable. I've set him to 0, and I've even gone into creation kit and unchecked the invulnerable box, to no avail. He
still takes no damage in combat. I have no idea why. To kill him, you need another step. Open console any time, and type:

setessential 1b07d 0 (This sets Brynjolf to killable)

Then, close console and approach Brynjolf in game. With your crosshairs pointing at him, open the console. With your mouse, click on him. You'll see his number appear on his chest, right
at your crosshairs. When the number is there, console recognizes that you have targeted him. If there's no number, it won't work. Then type...

damageav health 1000 (This causes damage to the actor value for health, dealing him 1000 points. When you close console, he'll croak on the spot.)

If you encounter others who are immortal, Mjoll for instance, you can find their NPC number by opening console and typing help mjoll. (or whatever their name is)
It will give you a code number, similar to those above, with the header NPC. When you see something like 000123a7, you can type it that way or as 123a7. Either
way works.

Likewise, you can search an NPCs number, such as Faendal, and do the opposite. setessential (number) 1, and make Faendal unkillable.

Enjoy wiping out the Thieves' guild. I always do. :)

raido KASAI

Ansei Master Badass
I was bummed i couldn't swipe a place-setting and silverware from the table in the Hall of Valor

Perkless in Skyrim

Bad to the Dragonbone.
Knowing that, I've found a mod that let's me destroy the Thieves Guild, similar to the alternate quest where you can kill the dark brotherhood instead of joining them. As much as I'd love to wipe out all of those horrible people, I would have to start a new game in order for it to work, and I do not want to do that. I finished the main quest line and the Companions questline as well, and while I would enjoy going through the Companions story again, I am much more reluctant to repeat all of the work I did to get through the main questline, and I despise the thought of having to deal with the Blades again; I hate them almost as much as the Thieves Guild now. Not to mention the fact that I just found all of the words of Elemental Fury, and it would suck to have to track them all down over again. In short, I was in a really good spot before the Delvin incident, and a lot more unfortunate mishaps, reared their ugly heads, so now I am very confused about what to do.
Of course, since I've now been banished from the Thieves Guild for my violent response to Delvin's idiocy, I could ignore them indefinitely; I have absolutely no reason to ever return there, but I think this little seething ball of bitterness is only going to burn hotter every time I see that stupid quest tag "Reparations" in my journal. So, should I carry on with all of my hard won rewards, or just start fresh and take out my rage on that awful guild once and for all? And while were at, have you guys ever had any near game wrecking experiences? Was there ever a time in Skyrim that made you so angry you wanted to quit playing forever? Please, share them and help me feel better.

Is there some reason you can't do both? Maybe start a new character whose sole goal is the destruction of the Thieves' Guild. And since you're on PC perhaps there's a mod that would let you remove the quest from your journal or mark it as completed or something. I don't know if it's possible as I'm a console player and have to settle for having PC envy.

Nothing has ever made me rage quit but there have been some game breaking bugs on some of my characters which thankfully, the latest patch (on Xbox) seems to have fixed. The Daedric quest "Waking Nightmare" was glitched. Erandur would get stuck and I was unable to get past the wall that he has to magically open. That character was a collector (like most of mine are) so being unable to get the Staff of Corruption was a MAJOR bummer.

I like the Thieves' Guild too much to want to destroy it but the option would've been nice for the vanilla game. It also makes sense since you can opt to destroy the Dark Brotherhood.

JoeReese

Is there some reason you can't do both? Maybe start a new character whose sole goal is the destruction of the Thieves' Guild. And since you're on PC perhaps there's a mod that would let you remove the quest from your journal or mark it as completed or something. I don't know if it's possible as I'm a console player and have to settle for having PC envy.

Nothing has ever made me rage quit but there have been some game breaking bugs on some of my characters which thankfully, the latest patch (on Xbox) seems to have fixed. The Daedric quest "Waking Nightmare" was glitched. Erandur would get stuck and I was unable to get past the wall that he has to magically open. That character was a collector (like most of mine are) so being unable to get the Staff of Corruption was a MAJOR bummer.

I like the Thieves' Guild too much to want to destroy it but the option would've been nice for the vanilla game. It also makes sense since you can opt to destroy the Dark Brotherhood.

I agree. I would have been a nice touch to allow you to choose whether to follow Brynjolf's plan to frame Brand-Shei or to go to a guard, like you do when you encounter Astrid. The guard could direct you to the Jarl, who would ask you to partner up with Mjoll (she could take the place of your follower, as the Companions do) and clear out the ratway, maybe become thane or something. The people of Riften could have little dialog bits, about how even the air smells fresher or something.

Bira96

Okay, I've tried the setessential thing on Maven before, I can't stand that B, but I don't think I got those strange numbers right. I really hope this works!
I actually have a lot of quests in my journal I never intend to finish, like the first College of Winterhold quest and "Return to your Roots." That's a very good idea.

JoeReese

It's ok. Every now and then I notice my console numbers change. If it doesn't work, try using 'help maven' and make sure the numbers are the same. Don't forget to add the 0 at the end, and setessential is one word.

Bira96

It worked. There all dead. It took me awhile to find Maven though, turns out that she was a skeever. (Literally... don't ask.) Brynjolf fell through the floor and into oblivion when he died. All of the minor thief's except Sapphire are dead, they chased me into the city and wouldn't stop mobbing me. Apparently, it's a bigger crime to attack Dirge than to attack Mercer. The guards did nothing except run away. I swear, I think they're the ones that represent everything that's wrong with Riften! At least Marcucio had my back, and oddly enough, Talen Jei, who hates my guts.
I thank you for this invaluable gift friend, now Maven never has to live another day, but something still feels wrong. I think after everything that happened, I think it's just time for a new game. That, and I found a mod with amazing followers that start at Level 1. Thanks to all of you!

JoeReese

It worked. There all dead. It took me awhile to find Maven though, turns out that she was a skeever. (Literally... don't ask.) Brynjolf fell through the floor and into oblivion when he died. All of the minor thief's except Sapphire are dead, they chased me into the city and wouldn't stop mobbing me. Apparently, it's a bigger crime to attack Dirge than to attack Mercer. The guards did nothing except run away. I swear, I think they're the ones that represent everything that's wrong with Riften! At least Marcucio had my back, and oddly enough, Talen Jei, who hates my guts.
I thank you for this invaluable gift friend, now Maven never has to live another day, but something still feels wrong. I think after everything that happened, I think it's just time for a new game. That, and I found a mod with amazing followers that start at Level 1. Thanks to all of you!

Glad it worked for you. The best part is you can resurrect them and kill them again and again. :)

Dradin

Tribunal Temple Acolyte
Reminds me of when I played an assassin and removed the essential status from Laila Law-Givers family and herself. They all dropped like a sack of potatoes. Really fun. Although it was odd seeing the throne vacant.

Good work, Bria.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Delvin made me snap yesterday.. I finally managed to get a job done for him because he sent me to Markarth, and I really didn't want to go to Markarth. So when I went back to collect my pay, but he revoked it, scolding me for getting arrested, even though I never got arrested once in the entire game. He's so lucky he's essential...
But this was just the straw that broke the camel's back. I was reluctant to join in the first place, the only reasons I did so was one, so Brynjolf would leave me alone whenever I entered the city, and two, so I could finish the No Stone Unturned quest. But I lost interest in that when I found out you don't even get to keep the stupid crown after all that work. I soon grew a bitter taste in my mouth when Maven became Jarl and yelled at me when I did her a favor. (Apparently I was trying to win the hearts of her court members and steal her throne.. bah.) Knowing that I would officially become her slave if I advanced any further in the questline spoiled the whole experience for me forever; I don't think I'll ever enjoy the unique experience of the Thieves Guild ever again. Pray for me, this bitterness is killing me.
Have you tried the repeatedly using the disintegrate perk of the lightning destruction spell? Oddly, I used it on Louie Latrush (who is forever unkillable on my PS3 up until now) as he stalks me outside of Whiterun and, after about 20 hits at low health for him (you know, when he's "squatting"), it took and now he's a pile of ashes. I haven't tried actually talking to him, but it still says Louie whenever I look at it and I've gotten it to work on Nazeem as well (although the guards weren't very happy about it).

Don't know if this would workon Delvin, but, since you've already violently confronted them, what can it hurt to spam chained lightning in the flaggon and see how many you can make ashpiles of?

JoeReese

Have you tried the repeatedly using the disintegrate perk of the lightning destruction spell? Oddly, I used it on Louie Latrush (who is forever unkillable on my PS3 up until now) as he stalks me outside of Whiterun and, after about 20 hits at low health for him (you know, when he's "squatting"), it took and now he's a pile of ashes. I haven't tried actually talking to him, but it still says Louie whenever I look at it and I've gotten it to work on Nazeem as well (although the guards weren't very happy about it).

Don't know if this would workon Delvin, but, since you've already violently confronted them, what can it hurt to spam chained lightning in the flaggon and see how many you can make ashpiles of?
lightninghasitsuses.jpg

Bira96

Don't know if this would work on Delvin, but, since you've already violently confronted them, what can it hurt to spam chained lightning in the flaggon and see how many you can make ashpiles of?
I never got that perk before, I've always had trouble with lightning spells, they never seemed to work as well for me as fire did. (Even though the two of them together does a mother load of damage.. something to think about, mages) And the reason it worked on Louis for you may be because you finished the quest already; sometimes essential characters become unessential when you finish their associated quests. Even if they're still essential, I've found there's occasionally a freak accident where they might die anyway. (One time, after I finished the Companions questline, everyone in the Circle was still essential, even though there supposed to be switched to unessential once the questline is finished. Despite this, when I took Vilkas and Marcucio into a dungeon, they got into a fight and Vilkas was killed, dead as a doorknob. I just don't understand this game sometimes...)