Need help with your character? Here to help.

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
I've just started a new playthrough with my first Imperial. I'm planning to spend the majority of his perks in One-Handed, Block, Archery, and Light Armor, and to a lesser extent, Sneak and Speech. He'll be joining the Imperial Legion, but I don't want him in any other faction.

As a playstyle quirk, he's not going to do any crafting whatsoever - smithing, enchanting, or alchemy. He'll only be able to use what he can buy, steal, find, or is given. I'm already wondering if the challenge is going to be too great once I hit levels where I'd normally have exquisite-grade weapons and armor. Any tips on how I might compensate for this disadvantage? What are the best unique weapons (preferrably swords) and armor that I should pursue?

plopster

Awesome dude
What does the most magical damage? I tend to stick with fire / frost rather than shock, is there anything specific i should know being a magic class?

Adam Warlock

Please help out this conjurer ! Is it true that all armor enchantments can benefit Dead Thralls even though enchantments are limited for your regular followers ?

DanielJS

I abuse my powers.
I'm taking a different approach to "Sword and Board" Im leveling up mainly Heavy and block, with some resto and smithing. What im doing is more of a fist and board technique. Just wondering if you have any experience with this and whether or not is viable at higher lvs. I have quite a bit of stamina so i can constantly bash and then go on and punch there face in.

KritikalPT

What does the most magical damage? I tend to stick with fire / frost rather than shock, is there anything specific i should know being a magic class?
Generally, fire deals the most amount of damage if you take into consideration the damage over time it deals.
A cool trick I've found when playing my mage: Imagine there's someone that just deals a massive amount of damage (Draugr Deathlord comes to mind), what I usually do is dual-cast a fire spell like Firebolt, as it deals a nice amount of damage, but it also adds the DoT, plus, if you have the Impact perk, it'll stagger them, so that's your opportunity to cast something stronger and bigger. I found that an ice spell works well, like Icestorm; although it deals less damage than a fire spell, it slows them down, so you can quickly recast the Firebolt to stagger again. Otherwise, if you're always low on magicka, just cast Firebolt at regular intervals to chain-stagger whatever you're trying to kill.

Also, I've always had problems with killing mages while being a mage myself, so I just use the Ice Form shout (the first word, any other word and mages will negate the effect with their spells) and then just pelt them with lightning spells (deals a good amount of damage and it drains their magicka, so you don't have to worry too much about them spamming Fireballs or Incinerate).

Personally, having summons greatly helps you, not only because they help you kill enemies a lot metter, but also because they can tank (the Flame Atronach not so much) and they can take some aggro off of you. If they take aggro from you, it's a good time to not cast spells and just let your magicka regenerate a bit, just try to be careful and not aggro something else, because there's nothing worse than aggroing a Mammoth at around level 25 and the only spells you can cast are the weakest Destruction spells, and only for about 3 seconds, so it's as useful as using a toothpick to a sword fight.

Last words of advise, put some points into Health, even if you're going as a pure mage, unless you like the extra challenge and/or know quite well how to play a mage, because once you start reaching your 30's, you'll notice that almost everything will kill you in one-hit, heck, I even died to a few surprise attacks from a mudcrab, and he killed me in 2 hits. No joke.

ThatArgonian

Not saying it was aliens... But it was aliens
I'm making a second-playthrough of the game but don't know what race to make. I want to make a more effective battlemage(or spell sword whatever you guys call it) than my Argonian. I want to be a bit of sneaky beaver at the same time too and creep up from behind and shank someone and if things get to hairy I just whip out some destruction spells. Any suggestions?