My version of a "Master Difficulty" option.

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

BlackRat

Just tossing it out there for discussion.

Features I'd like to see, offered as a difficulty option... FO3: NV was heading in the right direction, but in the end... it fell flat.

First, and what I find to be one of the most glaring "you're playing a game, remember!!!" features of the game is the wall sconces... and candles... and braziers. They're everywhere, and they make no sense. Who's lighting the candles? The Draugr? The spiders? The blind Falmer? Turn them off. Get rid of them. If i descend into half-mile deep cavern populated only by falmer and spiders... it should be dark. Really dark. Frighteningly, sweaty palms dark. I NEVER use torches or carry them, because I never have any real use for them. Make them matter.. Make me have to equip myself for a dungeon dive.

Make me eat, Make me drink. Make me rest. Well... give me the option I suppose, but make me suffer for not doing so. Add sickness. Drinking standing water is a bad idea, parasites suck.

Injure me. Not with the ease of FO... but the rare broken limb or twisted ankle... blinded eye... I think they'd add to the game.

Give me a realistic encumberance system. Carrying ten warhammers is retarded... yes, its my choice, and I don't do it... but take away the option. Give me a pack, give it space and let it get filled. Let it slow me down. All of a sudden packhorses become important. Packspace reaches a premiumm when you have to carry water and food (or you can hunt and drink river water). Even the most hardened real-life soldiers can only haul about 50 pounds and still function.

Animate my item use. Give it a realistic time frame.

Make weather matter. There's no way I should be able to survive the night, in a blizzard, while sleeveless in studded armour. Make clothing matter. All of a sudden... fur armour has value. Give me a bedroll and make fire matter. When too cold... slowed reflexes, clumsiness, an inability to perform fine motor skills like opening a potion bottle. If dehydrated... slow my movement, make my muscles "cramp" (unable to run, or swing a weapon). If starving or overtired... you get the picture.

Take away the fast travel option altogether... make it carts or horses only.

Create a truly frightening damage system... an arrow in the side from a hidden ambush is going to do more to me than make say "ow".

I think you get my point.
Let the flames begin, I am NOT complaining about the game, I love it, and I scale up my own difficulty and play the game my way. However, without consequences or in-game effects... it's simply not the same. I'm not suggesting the core game be changed... only to make these things an option. Let's say that i'd like to see all the standard difficulty levels, plus a "realism" mode, how about?

meh. Discuss?

BlackRat

Not really. I don't do a lot of falmer-slaying and rare artifact gathering in my day to day life, unfortunately not a lot of ancient dungeons to explore either, and carrying magical daggers while wearing leather amour tends to get me funny looks when going to the corner store.

I do however do a lot of outdoor stuff... and I'm not looking for a survival simulator. Like I said, an option... that's all Im looking for.

Nuclear Dave

Well then the real answer is they dont do it because its ALOT of work that only a handful of people would appreciate. They will take the time they could do that and use it towards a DLC that people would pay for. If youre that much into it, start a mod group, make it, and get famous.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
I see you yearn for hardcore mode, similar to that of Fallout: NV. I'm sure a lot of people will agree you on this and inevitably, there will be mods to add the features you described. Realism is always nice in video games.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts