• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

TomatoDragon

Love love love the game. Did you hear me? Just making sure. I do love it. Here is my only issue. Same one I had with Oblivion. Bethesda certainly have a passion for creating beautiful worlds, and it shows no doubt. I just wish some of that passion went into their fp melee combat system. It still feels very clunky and actually, more so now simply because there was another open world game that did fp melee combat right, and that is Dead Island. You could target body parts accurately, especially if you used analog controls. The enemy would react realistically when being hit in said body part. Was very satisfying.

I'm not gonna continue, because I do love Skyrim and mostly play as an archer, but I do wish this series melee combat would have improved a bit over the years.

M'aiqaelF

Male, 32 years old, Denver area, CO
it is pretty bad, you kinda just hack and slash by jamming the trigger buttons!

brandon

yeah but this isnt batman or something like that but it would be cool to have a better block attack combo. but thats just me

TomatoDragon

yeah but this isnt batman or something like that but it would be cool to have a better block attack combo. but thats just me
Very true, and in no way am I comparing Skyrim to Batman. Completely different games. But I will compare Dead Island to Skyrim, as they are in the same class of game, and as far as combat goes, Dead Island has a much better fp melee system. Just hope Bethesda begins to revamp their's at some point. Otherwise, love the game.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
I agree. There isn't much swords clashing and parrying. It's a hit or miss system. I wasn't expecting Bethesda to completely change the combat mechanics though. TES games are much more complicated than that since they also focus on NPC interaction, quests and all the other stuff. Anyways, it would be interesting what kind of combat overhaul mod will come out next. Deadly Reflex for Skyrim anyone?

brandon

Very true, and in no way am I comparing Skyrim to Batman. Completely different games. But I will compare Dead Island to Skyrim, as they are in the same class of game, and as far as combat goes, Dead Island has a much better fp melee system. Just hope Bethesda begins to revamp there's at some point. Otherwise, love the game.
alot of my friends have dead island but ive never played it. but bethesda has always had this type of melee from morrowind to fallout 3 and new vegas to this one. ive just grown acoustomed to it i guess. and i consider any open world game to be in the same catergory as skyrim.just not the same class. thatd be like comparing middle school jv to college teams. just cant do that

KiLaNsTinK

yes! this is the reason i never got into these type of games but i gave the game a chance and now I love the game. just wished the fighting was better.

TomatoDragon

alot of my friends have dead island but ive never played it. but bethesda has always had this type of melee from morrowind to fallout 3 and new vegas to this one. ive just grown acoustomed to it i guess. and i consider any open world game to be in the same catergory as skyrim. thatd be like comparing middle school jv to college teams. just cant do that
If you get a chance, try out Dead Island and you'll see what I'm talking about as far as the melee combat is concerned.

I understand the combat has always been the same in the Elder Scrolls series, but that doesn't mean that there isn't room for improvement. Players have stated for years that the melee combat is clunky in the Elder Scroll series, and I'd have to agree. It doesn't make the game any less playable, but there are some things that can be done to improve it.

Dead Island's melee combat is setup just like Skyrim's. First person, swinging a weapon, only it's system works much better. You can hit specific body parts and the enemy will realistically react, get knocked down or knocked back, perhaps depending if your swing was an upward swing, or downward, legs can be taken out etc. And by switching to analog controls, you can control your swings precisely with the thumb stick, not just mashing the shoulder button.

Again, I don't want to turn this into a hate thing, because it's not. I love Skyrim, but the melee combat definitely needs an upgrade, and I good example of that would be to look at Dead Island's.

brandon

yes! this is the reason i never got into these type of games but i gave the game a chance and now I love the game. just wished the fighting was better.
oh dude before i played morrowind i never touched anything like this. and i still dont understand anything that went on in morrowind but i loved the fact that i could do whatever i wanted. i miss that. i used to only play shooting games and racing games only. but when i was in germany my buddy was a huge nerd but we were drinking buddies.(i got him drunk for his first time in his life). but he had morrowind and as a joke i saved it and then shot an arrow at some random dude. and i still remember it saying so and so quest can no longer be completed. i was like DUDE I JUST KILLED THE MAYOR GUY OF THIS TOWN. ever since that day i fell in love with bethesda. i got an xbox for a different reason and i got morrowind 5 min later. now ive had every game theyve put out since then.

brandon

If you get a chance, try out Dead Island and you'll see what I'm talking about as far as the melee combat is concerned.

I understand the combat has always been the same in the Elder Scrolls series, but that doesn't mean that there isn't room for improvement. Players have stated for years that the melee combat is clunky in the Elder Scroll series, and I'd have to agree. It doesn't make the game any less playable, but there are some things that can be done to improve it.

Dead Island's melee combat is setup just like Skyrim's. First person, swinging a weapon, only it's system works much better. You can hit specific body parts and the enemy will realistically react, get knocked down or knocked back, perhaps depending if your swing was an upward swing, or downward, legs can be taken out etc. And by switching to analog controls, you can control your swings with the thumb stick, not just mashing the shoulder button.

Again, I don't want to turn this into a hate thing, because it's not. I love Skyrim, but the melee combat definitely needs an upgrade, and I good example of that would be to look at Dead Island's.
it sounds alot like fight night. but i can see why they cant since you engage multiple people in a 360degree battlefield. but it would be nice to be able to go hand to hand with a better melee combo like block parry strike kind of thing.

KiLaNsTinK

oh dude before i played morrowind i never touched anything like this. and i still dont understand anything that went on in morrowind but i loved the fact that i could do whatever i wanted. i miss that. i used to only play shooting games and racing games only. but when i was in germany my buddy was a huge nerd but we were drinking buddies.(i got him drunk for his first time in his life). but he had morrowind and as a joke i saved it and then shot an arrow at some random dude. and i still remember it saying so and so quest can no longer be completed. i was like DUDE I JUST KILLED THE MAYOR GUY OF THIS TOWN. ever since that day i fell in love with bethesda. i got an xbox for a different reason and i got morrowind 5 min later. now ive had every game theyve put out since then.

I was the same way playing only shooters and sports game, till my cousin turned me onto SKYRIM. Now i cant stop playing! lol

brandon

I was the same way playing only shooters and sports game, till my cousin turned me onto SKYRIM. Now i cant stop playing! lol
yeah bethesda has a way of immersing you into theyre world and making you addicted. its almost as bad as drugs but in a good way. like sex when i was 15/16 yrs old. lol

Mar-Katesh

Man it happened the same to me I never played this tipe of games but when I played Morrowind I felt in love with Bethesda.. It's true that the fighting is not great but the adventure and all the rest convensaites a lot more

brandon

Ok so this issue isn't mine it's my wifes. Everytime she goes to whiterun villas won't leave her alone. Every five secs or so he asks her to join the companions. And then she couldn't fast travel cause it said guards are pursuing her. So she gets to riften finally and thenshe ended up paying two guards off. 500 to the two guards and then1200 to a bounty hunter. I don't get it

Ebony Knight

Lore Sword
Ok so this issue isn't mine it's my wifes. Everytime she goes to whiterun villas won't leave her alone. Every five secs or so he asks her to join the companions. And then she couldn't fast travel cause it said guards are pursuing her. So she gets to riften finally and thenshe ended up paying two guards off. 500 to the two guards and then1200 to a bounty hunter. I don't get it
So you know, you'll probably get better results posting a new thread for this kind of stuff rather than posting on an old one. Regarding your issue: Where is she going that Villas won't leave her alone? I've pretty much only seen him Jorrvaskyr so I don't think I understand fully what's going on here. If it says the guards are pursuing her pull up the "crime" tab under the menu screen, she might have a bounty out which could also account for the bounty hunter. The guards that she had to pay off at Riften are just a couple of dicks. They are there (from a story standpoint) to point out the fact that you are about to enter a very corrupt city. If your persuasion skills are high enough you can talk them out of the money but otherwise that is a standard event in the game.

kichigai_m

I thought Skyrim had some sort of special attacks on body parts via perks? I was able to ramp up my one-handed skills to to able to get animation attacks like neck slicing or jabbing someone in the gut if I aim correctly.

brandon

So you know, you'll probably get better results posting a new thread for this kind of stuff rather than posting on an old one. Regarding your issue: Where is she going that Villas won't leave her alone? I've pretty much only seen him Jorrvaskyr so I don't think I understand fully what's going on here. If it says the guards are pursuing her pull up the "crime" tab under the menu screen, she might have a bounty out which could also account for the bounty hunter. The guards that she had to pay off at Riften are just a couple of dicks. They are there (from a story standpoint) to point out the fact that you are about to enter a very corrupt city. If your persuasion skills are high enough you can talk them out of the money but otherwise that is a standard event in the game.
yeah ill start a new thread. i dont like starting them cause i cant delete it when i get a good answer.

Flamingtaco

That happened to me. It turned out that I had a bounty in windhelm so the companions would try to attack but then since they were friends with me they would just talk to me. Just get rid of any bounties.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
I just began playing Dark Messiah of Might and Magic and its combat system is phenomenal. It requires a lot of skills and adds a lot of tactical elements into the gameplay. Skyrim is less action-based and more RPG-based compared to DMMM but I can't help but feel that it could have borrowed a lot of those ideas.

Flamingtaco

I just began playing Dark Messiah of Might and Magic and its combat system is phenomenal. It requires a lot of skills and adds a lot of tactical elements into the gameplay. Skyrim is less action-based and more RPG-based compared to DMMM but I can't help but feel that it could have borrowed a lot of those ideas.
I would say that melee combat is more in common with DMMM than oblivipn. At least how it feels and looks if it not the actual system.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts