My New Character's Background (Short Story)

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, thanks for visiting our fan fiction section. You should only write stories that aren't related to your character's encounters, if you wish to write a story about your character please post an entry in your blog.

Before reading or writing a story, please make sure to read this thread. Thanks, Guest, and we hope you enjoy this section.

ADD1CTED GAM3R

Hi, everyone!

What you're about to read, should you choose to, is the background that I have written for my newly created character. In the past, I've never done this sort of thing, and I came to The Elder Scrolls series when Oblivion was released. Until tonight, I've always created a character and played the game, never putting much thought into it, and I realize now how boringly similar all of them have been. It's always been the same overpowered character, sneaking through dungeons with an enchanted bow and one-shotting everything, taking every possible quest, and never really having a "mind of their own." I decided to change that.

Surely this won't even come close to putting a dent in some of what I'm sure are absolutely epic tales and stories created by some of the users on the forum, but I hope that it's at least somewhat entertaining. I'm trying to get into the true spirit of playing Skyrim the way that it's meant to be played; as a Role-Playing Game, and not just an Adventure Game.

Anyways. I hope you all like it! Please leave me any comments, questions and other feedback that you have, as it'd be greatly, greatly appreciated!

Thanks! :)

- Patrick

The Background of Tristyn Blaise

Name: Tristyn Blaise
Race: Breton
Homeland: Daggerfall of High Rock

Before he was born, his father, Edwyn, owner of a local inn by the name of “The Daggerfall Draught,” was killed by a deranged Skooma addict on his way home from work one late evening. His mother, Morganna, who worked as a seamstress at a local clothing shop, was eight months pregnant with Tristyn at the time. Whenever he would ask about his father, Morganna would do anything she could to change the subject; she had never quite gotten over the loss of her beloved husband, and lifelong best friend. As a result, Tristyn knew only that his father “was a kind-hearted and well-respected man who loved him very much, and would always be watching over him.”

Growing up was hard for Tristyn. His mother worked as hard as she could to provide for the both of them, and as a young boy, Tristyn found himself doing anything he could to contribute, taking jobs here and there helping the local farmers, blacksmiths and merchants with whatever they were willing to pay him for. Having to take on this sort of responsibility at a young age kept him busy, so much so that he rarely had time for social interaction with his peers, and often left him feeling withdrawn and lonely. In fact, the only friend that he had made from a very young age was a young girl who lived down the street from him; Elyssa. They would spend time together whenever they could, walking the fields and staring up at the stars on sleepless nights. As they grew up, they became closer, and eventually became romantically involved with each other. Tristyn would meet her at their favorite spot under a large tree in the middle of a lush field every day after work, where they would lay in each other’s arms and forget the problems of their lives.

It was no secret that Tristyn’s parents had never grown into their magical abilities. Bretons are largely descended from Elves, and as a result, most can boast incredible magical abilities in comparison to other human-type races such as Nords or Imperials. However, on rare occasions, a Breton may fail to ever develop their magical abilities; this was the case for Edwyn and Morganna, and as a result, seemed to be the case for Tristyn as well. This “deficiency” as many liked to call it, played a large part in why making friends was difficult for Tristyn; other boys and girls picked on him for not being able to perform magic. He had always tried to learn, but was never able to show even the smallest signs that he possessed any magical abilities. As it were, he was, in the eyes of many, an outcast; a freak of the Breton nature.

When he wasn’t busy working or spending time with Elyssa, Tristyn loved to read. From a young age, it didn’t matter what the book was about; so long as it had legible print on the pages, he would read it. Out of all of the books that he had read, his favorites were always those written about the arcane arts. As a member of a relatively magical race, he was always interested in magic, even though he himself couldn’t perform it. Powerful Witches and Wizards could do incredible things; control people’s minds, cast destrive fire, ice and lighting spells, and some could even bring the dead back life. This fascinated Tristyn, and he often found himself testing to see if he had developed any magical abilities; trying to cast spells in the privacy of the woods or a secluded cave. If only he could cast magic… Would his peers finally treat him as one of their own? Would life be different? Over the next few years, it was more of the same for Tristyn. He would work during the day, doing whatever he could be paid to do, spend his free time with Elyssa, and spend his nights dreaming of powerful Witched and Wizards, only to wake in the morning and find that he was still the same “freak” that he had been when he closed his eyes the night before.

Fearing that he was wasting his time on dreams that would never come true, he began to focus his attention on more realistic goals; dreams that were more easily attainable than the seemingly impossible. Namely, he was focusing on Elyssa, and starting the family that they had always talked about starting one day. They had been in each other’s lives since they were children, and had been together for years now; he knew in his heart of hearts that he wanted to move onward in his life with her.

One evening, Tristyn invited Elyssa to join him for dinner at the local inn. They dined on fine cuisine, drank wine, and laughed as they held hands and talked about joyous memories. Right on cue, the bard that he had paid began to play a slow, romantic melody, and when Elyssa looked away to watch a happy couple dancing, Tristyn took a knee beside her, and slipped a silver ring with a gorgeous ruby adorning it onto her finger. Shocked, she looked at Tristyn, the ring, and began to cry tears of joy as she nodded her head and agreed to marry him. Everyone began to clap and cheer for the two of them as they laughed and embraced each other happily, before leaving to rush back and tell their parents the news.

On their way out, Tristyn noticed a punk by the name of Dunard sitting at the bar. Dunard was a “Dagger,” a group of Witches and Wizards run by a powerful and pervasive Wizard by the name of Morvayn. They had been the bane of Tristyn’s life since it was discovered that he lacked magical talent. A part of Tristyn hoped that Dunard would be too drunk to know what was happening, but he knew better when he saw Dunard stand up to follow them out the door, and he told Elyssa that they needed to hurry; to get back to their neighborhood as quickly as possible, panic in his voice. Morvayn had always wanted Elyssa for himself, and there was sure to be trouble once he learned of her plans to marry Tristyn, a “freak.”

There was a light rain in the air as Tristyn and Elyssa rushed through the empty streets to reach the safety of their homes. The cool air of the coming storm clashed with the warm air in the streets, and an eerie fog surrounded everything like a blanket, but as they rounded the corner, Tristyn caught a glimpse of a figure striding towards them, and soon after, a voice called out to him. Hey, Freak!” it said. “I hear you’re planning to marry my girlfriend?” Elyssa clutched Tristyn’s hand. “Leave us alone, Morvayn. We don’t want any trouble.” Laughter filled the air as the Daggers stepped into view through the fog. “Well, then I suppose the girl will be coming with me then, won’t she?” “I’m not going anywhere with you, Morvayn, you creep!” shouted Elyssa. Morvayn glared at her, scoffing aloud. “What a shame. I guess I’ll just have to show you why I’m the one you should want to be with then, won’t I?”

A loud “crrrrack” split the air as a bolt of lightning shot from Morvayn’s hands, striking Tristyn in the chest, sending him through the air. Elyssa rushed to his side. “Amazing isn’t it, my love? Why would you want to be with a freak like him, when you could have someone like me? Someone like you.” Elyssa, unlike Tristyn, had grown into her magical abilities at a young age, but simply chose not to embrace them. “I could teach you, you know. You can still learn how to do great things with your abilities.” “Just leave us alone!” she screamed. By this time, Tristyn was starting to stir, staggering to his feet, rage growing in his eyes. He flashed back to his childhood, when Morvayn and his cretins would shock him as they passed in the street, trick his mind into getting him to do humiliating things that he didn’t want to… Elyssa could see in his eyes that he was thinking of doing something stupid. “Morvayn, please just leave us alone. Please.” A sinister smile crossed his face. “Sure, love. All you have to do, is come with me. I’ll leave this pathetic little freak alone so he can spend his days living in envy of me; of us.” Tristyn spit at Morvayn, his rage still growing, and as quickly as the spit hit the ground, another “crrrrack” split the air, and everything went black.

Tristyn awoke on the ground, face down. Next to him, staring blankly into his eyes lie Elyssa, a fresh tear on her cheek and a trickle of blood flowing from the corner of her mouth… She had pushed Tristyn out of the way, and the spell had struck her instead. “No. Please, no. No, no, no!” Tristyn shouted, getting to his feet to face Morvayn. “What have you done?! You murdering bastard!” Tears of rage and sadness streamed from his eyes, a fire growing within his heart. “She was to be my wife!” he screamed as his fists clenched. Morvayn flung his hands open, palms to the sky, revealing shockingly bright balls of cracking electricity. “You think you stand a chance against me, freak? Me?” A sinister laugh rang through the air as Morvayn hunched over, preparing himself. “Try me then, freak.”

Tristyn clenched his teeth, glaring at Morvayn, a ferocious animosity boiling inside of him. His mind was racing; flashbacks of the times he spent with Elyssa; flashbacks of these insufferable cretins pushing him around… He was clenching his fists so hard that he thought they might break, and he they felt as if they’d just been stuck into the blacksmith’s forge. When he quickly flung them open to release the pressure building within them, it happened; flames grew from his palms, wrapping around his hands and licking the air hungrily. Morvayn and his thugs jumped back, startled, mouths agape. “Are those…” “Flames? Yes, moron, I believe they are” said Morvayn to Dunard. “So the fre-!” Morvayn started, but his words were cut short as an explosive ball or fire struck his chest, sending him and his followers back into the air, flames searing their skin and charring their clothes. Tristyn stood, staring at his hands, astonished at what he had just done. He had cast magic! The arcane arts weren’t lost to him! But… what had he just done? Had he killed them? Were they dead? Dead. Dead… “Elyssa!” he shouted.

He quickly picked her up and began to flee for the safety of his home. Maybe there was still hope; maybe she was alive. Running as fast as his feet would let him, he raced for home. But he could hear footsteps trailing after him, and tears were clouding his vision worse than the fog was. A bolt of lightning flew past his head, sending him face-first onto the street. As he rolled onto his back, Morvayn was on him, clutching his throat in his hand. “Get up, you pathetic weakling” he said, slamming Tristyn into the wall. “I’m going to kill you, Tristyn Blaise. I’m going to kill you, and the last thing that you’re going to see, is going to be my face, staring back at you as I watch the life fade from your eyes.” Still clutching Tristyn by the throat, he pressed harder with both hands, cutting off the last bit of Tristyn’s airway. Tristyn flashed to his happiest moments with Elyssa; remembering her deep blue eyes; her kind face; the touch of her skin… As the light began to fade, a strange set of words appeared in his memory. He tried to think of Elyssa again, but the words remained, emblazoned in his mind. His mouth moved, but no sound came out. “What’s that? Have you got something to say, freak?” Morvayn said, laughing, his cohorts following suit. “Let’s hear it then” he said, letting his grip go slightly, and suddenly he was sent flying backwards through the air, as a thunderous, booming voice cracked the sky, shattering windows and shaking the ground. “FUS RO DAH!”

Tristyn awoke with a start, heart pounding in his chest. He quickly looked down at his hands, only to realize they were bound. The sound of horse hooves on the ground flooded his ears, and he looked up to see a man staring back at him. “Hey, you; you’re finally awake. You were trying to cross the border, right? You walked right into that Imperial ambush, just like us, and that thief over there.” ................................

The end. The end? No. No, this is just the beginning for Tristyn, as he ventures into this vast and unfamiliar land; the land of Skyrim. What do the fates hold in store for him? No one knows...

ADD1CTED GAM3R

I like the idea of mediocracy versus a typical adventurer/warrior story, but please keep the blogs in the blogs section.

Uh, this isn't a "blog;" it's a simple short story. If it were a blog, I'd be readily updating it with new entries, much like a journal.

According to this post, this sort of thing is perfectly fine to be posted in this section.

Milos Rajkovic

Leader of the Temptress
I have to say I really like it :) It's well written and very interesting. I've tried playing according to my story. (I haven't uploaded these "stories" to the internet. I only have 1 fan-fiction story uploaded here, but it doesn't have anything to do with my characters) The stories I made for them were simple. However, to "roleplay" successfully, I had to (for example) get rid of my items as soon as I made it out of Helgen, get new clothes, a pickaxe, and teleport myself to a safe mine. Stuff like that tend to get really hard really fast, as I couldn't defend myself in Miner's Clothes, with a pickaxe at level 1. :sadface:

But back to the point. I really liked this, and you should consider making a fan-fiction story here on the forum. A big one, with multiple chapters, developments and characters. I think you could do it very well :)

ADD1CTED GAM3R

I have to say I really like it :) It's well written and very interesting. I've tried playing according to my story. (I haven't uploaded these "stories" to the internet. I only have 1 fan-fiction story uploaded here, but it doesn't have anything to do with my characters) The stories I made for them were simple. However, to "roleplay" successfully, I had to (for example) get rid of my items as soon as I made it out of Helgen, get new clothes, a pickaxe, and teleport myself to a safe mine. Stuff like that tend to get really hard really fast, as I couldn't defend myself in Miner's Clothes, with a pickaxe at level 1. :sadface:

But back to the point. I really liked this, and you should consider making a fan-fiction story here on the forum. A big one, with multiple chapters, developments and characters. I think you could do it very well :)

Thanks for the support! I'm glad that you liked it.

Honestly though, I'm not sure that I would be able to come up with something like a true fan-fiction piece. This story didn't take me too long, and I didn't find myself stopping to think of what to type next, but I'm not sure that I would know what to write for a larger piece that contains more characters... The only way to know is to try, but I'd have to do some basic research by reading other stories here on the forums first, just to get a feel for the overall structure and process, if that makes sense.

Thanks again for the support!

Milos Rajkovic

Leader of the Temptress

Thanks for the support! I'm glad that you liked it.

Honestly though, I'm not sure that I would be able to come up with something like a true fan-fiction piece. This story didn't take me too long, and I didn't find myself stopping to think of what to type next, but I'm not sure that I would know what to write for a larger piece that contains more characters... The only way to know is to try, but I'd have to do some basic research by reading other stories here on the forums first, just to get a feel for the overall structure and process, if that makes sense.

Thanks again for the support!

Yeah, I get you, but I think you would be more than able, and I'd really like you to try it out. I wrote one story (It's really more of a test than anything else) and no matter whether it's well written or not, I haven't had one single problem where I had to stop and be like "...What now?". And seeing how nice you can write a story, making it sound like it was written by an experienced writer, I'd say you have more than high chances of making a really interesting fan-fiction piece. :)

ADD1CTED GAM3R

Yeah, I get you, but I think you would be more than able, and I'd really like you to try it out. I wrote one story (It's really more of a test than anything else) and no matter whether it's well written or not, I haven't had one single problem where I had to stop and be like "...What now?". And seeing how nice you can write a story, making it sound like it was written by an experienced writer, I'd say you have more than high chances of making a really interesting fan-fiction piece. :)

Thanks for the positive reinforcement!

As of right now, I'm giving serious thought to trying my hand ant writing something more than a simple character background. Adventure and Fantasy are genres that I really do enjoy, so writing something like this would definitely be enjoyable, and from what just about everyone who's read anything I've ever written has told me, I have a very unique and interesting way with words. I don't want to brag, but every single English teacher that I've ever had has been thoroughly impressed with my work on essays and stories, so perhaps I wouldn't trip and stumble nearly as much as I'm leading myself to think I would. That's definitely a trait that I get from my mother; she's the same way, always thinking too much and stressing herself out.

Anyways. Thanks again for the positive comments and reinforcement! You'll be pleased to know that, as I've said already, I'm giving serious thought to trying my hand at a "true" fan-fiction piece.

Milos Rajkovic

Leader of the Temptress

Thanks for the positive reinforcement!

As of right now, I'm giving serious thought to trying my hand ant writing something more than a simple character background. Adventure and Fantasy are genres that I really do enjoy, so writing something like this would definitely be enjoyable, and from what just about everyone who's read anything I've ever written has told me, I have a very unique and interesting way with words. I don't want to brag, but every single English teacher that I've ever had has been thoroughly impressed with my work on essays and stories, so perhaps I wouldn't trip and stumble nearly as much as I'm leading myself to think I would. That's definitely a trait that I get from my mother; she's the same way, always thinking too much and stressing herself out.

Anyways. Thanks again for the positive comments and reinforcement! You'll be pleased to know that, as I've said already, I'm giving serious thought to trying my hand at a "true" fan-fiction piece.

Well I'm glad to hear that :) Inform me when you write something. I gave you 1 reputation, but that is the most I can give, since this is a new account :b

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts