Missouri Rep wants to tax violent video games.

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Doctor Langstrom

I want to be FEARED!
HB 157 would charge a 1 percent excise tax on games rated T, M, or AO in Missouri; revenue derived would go toward mental health programs.

tumblr_mbin09JGNd1qmn4x1.gif

Read full article here.

bulbaquil

...is not Sjadbek, he just runs him.
Statistics can be fun.

From this site, in 2008 USA computer/video game software sales (i.e. actual games) were $11.7 billion. Missouri, it turns out, has a population of just about exactly 1/50 of the USA as a whole, so we assume Missouri's share of this was 1/50, which comes out to $234 million. (It's actually a bit less.)

From the same site, 84% of all games sold in 2008 were rated E, E10, or T. But the proposed law includes T-rated games. Let's assume T-rated games comprise 40% of this 84%, which would be 33.6%.

So 33.6% of these sales are getting taxed at 1%. That means the sale amount getting taxed is roughly $78.6 million (again, actually a bit less), and the revenue actually raised by this tax is on the order of $786,000 (again, actually a bit less).

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the mean annual wage of mental health counselors is $42,590 per year. But keep in mind that this is just employee gross income; it's not the amount the employer actually pays (which would be higher in payroll taxes, benefits, hiring expenses, and the like). Let's guesstimate the cost to the employer at 1.5x the gross employee income, or about $64,000 per year.

You can afford to hire 12 new mental health counselors, plus a paid intern at about 16-20 hours a week, for the whole state, which is an increase in the number of mental health counselors present in that state of only about 1% or less.

And that's assuming you spend every last penny of the revenue solely on mental health counselors, which is entirely unrealistic (you'll need building space, computers, office supplies, therapy couches, receptionists...).

Jader

The Mystic Marksman
Personally I don't see this happening.Ratings are put in games for a reason,to deter those who are not mature enough to handle the content.if a parent buys a game that their child is not mature enough to process then whose fault is that?Certainly not the creator.

Crooksin

Glue Sniffer
Lol, 1 percent of a 60 dollar game is like 60 cents. Not that much "bullplops". I can see 60 cent increase being passed because its 60 cents, and no one will see nothin of it. Seems as though mental health is on the backburner in America so maybe you need a little boost.

I'm just glad there's none of this here =3

EDIT: OH DAMN NECRO POST HE GOT ME DAMN U

Jader

The Mystic Marksman
Its not the amount that matters,its what it signifies.BTW murica isn't the only country with rising mental health issues,I'm sure there are others who are a lot worse off(3rd world not included)I swear other countries think america is the apitomy of everything wrong in the world(not a born American resident, heil Deutschland :p)

utael

What does it signify? That the govt is taxing a product to create a funding for a program? Look at alcohol tax, and tobacco tax, those fund programs that have nothing to do with either substances.

Doctor Langstrom

I want to be FEARED!
What does it signify? That the govt is taxing a product to create a funding for a program? Look at alcohol tax, and tobacco tax, those fund programs that have nothing to do with either substances.

Please enlighten me on what those programs are. Besides alcohol and cigarettes do come with risks. What exactly are the risks that come with playing Mature rated games or any games for that matter? That you might pick up a gun and shoot someone?

utael

I don't believe playing violent video games has much if any of a factor with people who decide to go hurt others. At least in south dakota the tobacco tax helps support single mother who are fleeing from violent homes. Part of the alcohol tax also goes to repairing roads. I'm not 100% sure that there isn't a risk involved with violent video games, Specially at a young age in development that helps make violence seem like a common place in society (like its only natural to beat someone with a baseball bat). This is coming from first hand experience dealing with my nephews who are showing violent tendencies because of free flash games on the internet where the sole objective is to kill everything that moves as violently as possible. I'm not saying its not my brothers and sisters fault for not jumping on the behavior correctly and teaching them to separate the fantasy worlds from the real world but there is also some blame on game "makers" for rewarding more aggressive ways to harm others with higher points or bloodier content. I don't think there is some insidious plan behind them but they certainly don't try and go for creative ways to build things or go through a mission without harming a single target. I'd like to see more game companies reward users for being creative and finding ways to finish missions without any violence.

It seems every company who markets for ages 14-22 are looking to push the envelope of what is allowed in a teen game and finding ways to get around rating their games Mature. But that's just my observation.

Doctor Langstrom

I want to be FEARED!
I don't believe playing violent video games has much if any of a factor with people who decide to go hurt others. At least in south dakota the tobacco tax helps support single mother who are fleeing from violent homes. Part of the alcohol tax also goes to repairing roads. I'm not 100% sure that there isn't a risk involved with violent video games, Specially at a young age in development that helps make violence seem like a common place in society (like its only natural to beat someone with a baseball bat). This is coming from first hand experience dealing with my nephews who are showing violent tendencies because of free flash games on the internet where the sole objective is to kill everything that moves as violently as possible. I'm not saying its not my brothers and sisters fault for not jumping on the behavior correctly and teaching them to separate the fantasy worlds from the real world but there is also some blame on game "makers" for rewarding more aggressive ways to harm others with higher points or bloodier content. I don't think there is some insidious plan behind them but they certainly don't try and go for creative ways to build things or go through a mission without harming a single target. I'd like to see more game companies reward users for being creative and finding ways to finish missions without any violence.

It seems every company who markets for ages 14-22 are looking to push the envelope of what is allowed in a teen game and finding ways to get around rating their games Mature. But that's just my observation.

What about violent movies? Or TV shows? Or even books? And yes, it's ENTIRELY on the parent's shoulders. Be a parent. Don't purchase the game for your kid. And if it's flash games on the internet, well, supervise what your kid is doing on the internet. Make it so the child can only go on the computer when the parent is around and for only a length of time. Don't purchase them their own computer. It's a lot simpler than people make it out to be. People who develop video games aren't there to babysit your children.

utael

Can I ask if you are a parent? I used to think exactly as you do but guess what when you work 2 jobs so you are home rarely they get on the computer, or when they are at a friends house. Or at school.

Violence in film is very tame compared to the gaming industry. I'm not saying its exempt but its less influential.

As far as parenting goes. No I'm not making excuses, I'm just saying its not as easy as watching your kids. If they want something they are going to try their damndest to get it.

Doctor Langstrom

I want to be FEARED!
Can I ask if you are a parent? I used to think exactly as you do but guess what when you work 2 jobs so you are home rarely they get on the computer, or when they are at a friends house. Or at school.

Violence in film is very tame compared to the gaming industry. I'm not saying its exempt but its less influential.

As far as parenting goes. No I'm not making excuses, I'm just saying its not as easy as watching your kids. If they want something they are going to try their damndest to get it.

I am a parent. And my daughter has barely interest in the computer or video games. She's a lot like me when I was her age. She reads and plays with her toys, making up her own stories with her imagination. However, if she had a certain interest in something that I was concerned about, I'd do my research on it and decide whether or not I felt it was something she could get into. That's what my mother did for me. When I was fifteen and wanted to play Grand Theft Auto, my mother felt I was of sound mind to handle playing the game. So she purchased it for me.

And film has a lot wrong with it. Don't even give me that. You can have shooting in a PG-13 film as long as there is no blood, but a sex scene between two adults who possibly love each other gets an R rating or NC-17. Why is something like sex taboo while shooting is perfectly fine for younger audiences? Same thing goes for the naked body. Please tell me what is so offensive about it? Shouldn't violence be more offensive than a breast or penis?

But regardless of all of that, it's not Hollywood's job nor is it a game developer's job to teach your child the difference between fantasy and reality. That's the parents job. Find the time. My parents managed to, and I've taken the same time with my daughter.

Doctor Langstrom

I want to be FEARED!
so funding to mental health programs is a bad thing?

Why does the funding have to come from a tax on M rated games? They might as well tax everything that is 'violent' and use the money for the funding. They'd have a bit more I'd imagine.

Oh wait...it's a certain kind of mental problems they are addressing:

Revenue derived from this initiative would be deposited into the state's general revenue fund and be used only for the treatment of mental health conditions associated with "exposure" to violent video games.

The money is only going to mental issues that are the result of playing violent video games. So, if your mental problem is the result of something else, guess it isn't getting funded.

utael

So, them having linked it to the video games and using the purchase of those video games to fund treatments for those afflicted by violent video game mental health problems is a bad thing?

Doctor Langstrom

I want to be FEARED!
So, them having linked it to the video games and using the purchase of those video games to fund treatments for those afflicted by violent video game mental health problems is a bad thing?

And you actually believe violent video games cause mental health issues? WOW really? Like any form of media they might trigger something within someone who already has mental health problems, but video games are not the direct cause of it. Just like books, movies, and TV.

For example, I have depression. A video game nor any other form of media caused me to have it. My brain is just sick, in fact video games actually help me cope with it.

Crooksin

Glue Sniffer
so funding to mental health programs is a bad thing?

Why does the funding have to come from a tax on M rated games? They might as well tax everything that is 'violent' and use the money for the funding. They'd have a bit more I'd imagine.

Oh wait...it's a certain kind of mental problems they are addressing:

Revenue derived from this initiative would be deposited into the state's general revenue fund and be used only for the treatment of mental health conditions associated with "exposure" to violent video games.

The money is only going to mental issues that are the result of playing violent video games. So, if your mental problem is the result of something else, guess it isn't getting funded.

Ah, I was under the impression the funding would go to mental health in a general way, that I can get behind. Not that as I'm sure the mental issues resulting from playing violent video games (if it can even be proven) is an incredibly small percentage.

Ritterkreuz

This is one of those things that will never pass, or even probably be brought up for a vote. In reality he proposed it to simply make himself look good to his constituency and keep their vote.

Godzillaman 08

What would be considered a violent video game? Sure there are the obvious like Call of Duty, Halo, and Assassin's Creed, but what about ones like Minecraft, would this be "violent" in their eyes? To be honest I don't see this becoming a law anytime soon, but stranger things have happened before.

Doctor Langstrom

I want to be FEARED!
What would be considered a violent video game? Sure there are the obvious like Call of Duty, Halo, and Assassin's Creed, but what about ones like Minecraft, would this be "violent" in their eyes? To be honest I don't see this becoming a law anytime soon, but stranger things have happened before.

I believe they were going after games with specific ratings. Teen, Mature, and Adults Only.