• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
Anyone else using this as their secondary or primary? I've been going after Miraak early in my last half dozen builds or so to get it because it's just so damn fun and surprisingly powerful once you get used to using it. I filled up Wolfskull Ruins with tentacles recently on master and it wasn't even fair. It's soul gem intensive but it's the only weapon I'm charging on my mage build so I'm fine with it.

Anyone else consider this staff to be bordering OP?

Ritterkreuz

I've never used it once. It always ends up on a weapons rack collecting dust. That reminds me, I need more Lemon scent Pledge.

LotusEater

I've never used it once. It always ends up on a weapons rack collecting dust. That reminds me, I need more Lemon scent Pledge.

What a shame. An instrument of terror gathering dust. :)

I've been using it as my primary for a while now and it handles everything. I can stand about ten feet away from a draugr deathlord, bandit chief or falmer warmonger with no armor, mage or otherwise and have no fear. And that's at lv50 on master. That staff ties everything up big time... and it poisons. I love it. I'm surprised it's not more popular.

CaptMorgan72

I'm with you Lotus. My mages that choose to be Hermaeus Mora's champion, use the staff as their main weapon. The thing is really deadly.

JoeReese

I don't use it much, but every once in a blue moon I'll give it a spin. It's downright funny to me.

LotusEater

I had a Frost Atronach chasing me down covered in black tentacles recently. That's horrifying to a guy in a robe. There is definitely a strong funny factor attached to it though.

DurableDiction

Paladin of the Old Order
My favorite part is when I make a wall of tentacles around me and NPCs try to pass it and start screaming as the tentacles entangle them

LotusEater

My favorite part is when I make a wall of tentacles around me and NPCs try to pass it and start screaming as the tentacles entangle them

Nothing safer than standing in a circle of Hermy's tentacles. :)

I've been putting down three staggered lines of the stuff lately between me and the opposition and I've yet to see anything make it across. Even Frost Atronachs get tied up.

DurableDiction

Paladin of the Old Order
I've wanted to make a Dark Mage for a while now that doesn't really use anything but Conjuration, illusion, spider scrolls, and the three "Daedric Staves:" the Skull, Wabbajack, and Miraak's Staff. That would be fun.

HappyFaceClown

PunkNation
that staff is badass! its the ONLY reason i bother killing Miraak, it says "sprayed on the ground" but the fact is you can shoot the tenticles onto enemies instead of waiting for them to walk over it.. imo its possibly the best weapon on the game and while its heavy on soul gems you can easily eliminate that problem with max enchanting by placing a few fortify destruction enchantments on your gear which will make the staff require no soul gems, which is what i do.. i love that staff!

Israel

Personally I prefer his sword, ive not used the staff as I prefer to stick with melee weapons. It only weighs 3 and has I think 44 damage, which is pretty outstanding for my level 24 Orc

LotusEater

Personally I prefer his sword, ive not used the staff as I prefer to stick with melee weapons. It only weighs 3 and has I think 44 damage, which is pretty outstanding for my level 24 Orc

I haven't used a sword in a long time but it is a really good weapon. I just took Miraak's Staff in to Forelhost last night and it owned the place. I've never had an easier time there.

LotusEater

I've wanted to make a Dark Mage for a while now that doesn't really use anything but Conjuration, illusion, spider scrolls, and the three "Daedric Staves:" the Skull, Wabbajack, and Miraak's Staff. That would be fun.

That's close to what I'm working on right now, except that I'm going with the Aetherium Staff and Miraak's Staff with Mind Control and Oil Spiders. I went and got the Wabbajack for the build because it seemed like a great compliment to Miraak's Staff, and though it's pretty fun, it's generally unreliable. Too unreliable for my tastes. I was running with Staff of Magnus for a bit but I found that to be pretty underwhelming.

HappyFaceClown

PunkNation
I hate staves. Sure they're great weapons, but I feel like Gandalf - "You Shall Not Pass!". Of course it doesn't help that I feel like I should be leading a parade too. :)
i actually made a Gandalf character once!! using a tall nord build with long beard and grey hair it was pretty convincing too, using only staffs got boring after awhile tho.. lol

ColleenG

When in doubt, follow the fox.
I give it to my followers. They don't forget to use it like I do. And yes, they fill up entire rooms with tentacles!

DurableDiction

Paladin of the Old Order
What tends to turn me off about staves are (this'll sound stupid) the way they're used. First off, your character holds them as if they are swords. When I imagine holding a staff, I imagine you proudly standing with the staff erect and upright, resting the butt on the ground. Hell I also imagine being able to actually use them in melee combat, not as an effective tool, but hey, it could keep them at bay.

Staves should also be able to be masterfully be created. Instead of buying a n unenchanted staff and simply placing a spell on it, it should be much more.

Imagine if you will, a masterful wizard wishing to create a staff. To do this, he must first have a few innate skills: he must know his way around a forge, he must have proficient skill in the school of choice, and he must have the luck (or coin) to acquire a desired gemstone and soul gem.

First, he must forge the shaft. He can do this With a number of different materials. A metal like steel would provide a staff that could use a variety of spells, at the cost of charges. A material such as Dwarven would produce an Alteration staff, ebony would produce Destruction staves, and so on.

Next, the wizard must place a soul gem. Depending on the soul gem, this would dictate both what level of spell AND the number of charges of the desired spell. Petty soul gems would create novice level staves. Lesser soul gems can create Apprentice level spells OR even provide more charges for a Novice spell.

Next comes the gem. The gem is both a medium for the spell casted and sometimes even an amplifier. Gems come in two forms, normal and flawless. Normal gems provide more charges, but do not amplify the spell. Flawless gems amplify the spell, but consume more charges. A gem such as a flawless garnet would provide a medium that would have a base power at the cost of no charges. Something like a sapphire would provide more charges than a garnet, but a flawless sapphire would provide LESS charges than a flawless garnet, but increase the spells power a bit (such as more damaging Destruction spells, or greater duration/enemy level cap/magnitude of other schools.

This would make staves more reliable IMO

ColleenG

When in doubt, follow the fox.
What tends to turn me off about staves are (this'll sound stupid) the way they're used. First off, your character holds them as if they are swords. When I imagine holding a staff, I imagine you proudly standing with the staff erect and upright, resting the butt on the ground. Hell I also imagine being able to actually use them in melee combat, not as an effective tool, but hey, it could keep them at bay.

Staves should also be able to be masterfully be created. Instead of buying a n unenchanted staff and simply placing a spell on it, it should be much more.

Imagine if you will, a masterful wizard wishing to create a staff. To do this, he must first have a few innate skills: he must know his way around a forge, he must have proficient skill in the school of choice, and he must have the luck (or coin) to acquire a desired gemstone and soul gem.

First, he must forge the shaft. He can do this With a number of different materials. A metal like steel would provide a staff that could use a variety of spells, at the cost of charges. A material such as Dwarven would produce an Alteration staff, ebony would produce Destruction staves, and so on.

Next, the wizard must place a soul gem. Depending on the soul gem, this would dictate both what level of spell AND the number of charges of the desired spell. Petty soul gems would create novice level staves. Lesser soul gems can create Apprentice level spells OR even provide more charges for a Novice spell.

Next comes the gem. The gem is both a medium for the spell casted and sometimes even an amplifier. Gems come in two forms, normal and flawless. Normal gems provide more charges, but do not amplify the spell. Flawless gems amplify the spell, but consume more charges. A gem such as a flawless garnet would provide a medium that would have a base power at the cost of no charges. Something like a sapphire would provide more charges than a garnet, but a flawless sapphire would provide LESS charges than a flawless garnet, but increase the spells power a bit (such as more damaging Destruction spells, or greater duration/enemy level cap/magnitude of other schools.

This would make staves more reliable IMO

What I don't like about staves is they do very little for you in terms of leveling up. It's like a wasted opportunity, every time you use them. You get enchantment points for burning soul gems, but nothing else. So it takes me about a skyrim week to get to level 100 in enchanting.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
It is a good sword, I'll give it that. I actually like the way the robes look but that damnable mask looks almost as stupid as the rest of the Dragon Priest Masks. :)

Israel

It is a good sword, I'll give it that. I actually like the way the robes look but that damnable mask looks almost as stupid as the rest of the Dragon Priest Masks. :)
Aesthetics have never really bothered me as long as the item good enough. Plus I usually play in first person view so I can't see it anyways :)