• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Jarrad

Ah yes, Master Difficulty, how do you guys manage this ? It blows my mind, I tried it for the first time a little earlier, not only was I unable to kill a simple dear but I was getting one shotted by everything, a Scavenger came up to me and cut my head off with a rusty old Iron Battle Axe, then after I reloaded I walk out the front gate in Whiterun to get destroyed by three Thalmor agents.

Seriously you guys ( and gals ) who can manage being so squishy and still play, I envy you lol.

Lady Redpool the Unlifer

Pyro, Spirits Connoisseur, and Soulless Anarchist
To survive on master difficulty really you have to A) become a crafting maniac, or B) get insanely good at not getting hit. Believe me, the only way I survive on my assassin is by staying hidden, or dancing around/toward my enemies because any damage pretty much spells death. When the odds are against you, you either abuse the AI, or you run for your life.

What level were you on before this? A jump straight from Adept to Master can be unsettling, but a gradual walk up the difficulty ladder is not so bad: you learn new behaviors that are useful when you move up to the next level.

Jarrad

I see, im neither a crafting maniac or particularly good at avoiding getitng hit, I would have ran from the scavenger but bashing him with my bow did absolutley nothing.

Ive been playing on adept, never changed the difficulty before, it certainly was unsettling, seeing my bosmer's head roll across the ground was downright humiliating.
Think i'll restart and never touch master as long as I breathe.

Lady Redpool the Unlifer

Pyro, Spirits Connoisseur, and Soulless Anarchist
Well, don't give up so easily. Try to step up to expert first, then move on to master when you feel you're ready. Another good tip is for your first(or next) try at master difficulty, use the play style that you are best at, not necessarily your favorite.

wrighty

Thalmor 3rd Emissary
Crafting and not getting hit, a lot of kiting too with a bow/magic.

axl_rose

I think fights are very boring, i enjoy doing stuff more than fighting and i hate just having to slash and slash and slash a guy with my sword till it finally dies...it's just so boring. Also the leveling system is so frustrating that now that i am at level 81 im playing in very easy...why ? cuz i worked hard to level my character and i don't like that a simple bandit can put up a fight with me.

On topic, i never tried master dif and never will. Wished that some enemies retreated or surrendered when we're at level 81

Smarty

If you are on pc, the beta patch adds a new difficulty level called legendary, it's like master but easier, you should try it :).

*evil laughter*

Rinskar

I think fights are very boring, i enjoy doing stuff more than fighting and i hate just having to slash and slash and slash a guy with my sword till it finally dies...it's just so boring. Also the leveling system is so frustrating that now that i am at level 81 im playing in very easy...why ? cuz i worked hard to level my character and i don't like that a simple bandit can put up a fight with me.

On topic, i never tried master dif and never will. Wished that some enemies retreated or surrendered when we're at level 81
I'm level 81, I play on master difficulty, and bandit marauders can't put up much of a fight against me, and soon enough the level cap will be increased.

MrDSL

If you're not at the armor cap it certainly can be daunting. When using a mage I always perk impact simply for the stagger effect.

I use my shouts a lot also.

Good magic resistance is a huge help also. If I'm playing a warrior I'll usually always have a shield unless I'm fighting with windshear.

Also make some resist potions if you can't get them high enough with equipment.

Planetnirn

Master is really easy for me :/ But then again I have had the game since the day it came out and have put 600 hours into it

Jarrad

If you are on pc, the beta patch adds a new difficulty level called legendary, it's like master but easier, you should try it :).

*evil laughter*

Thats some ominous laughter you've got there. Im on xbox 360 unfortunatley.

I'll stick to adept again for now, maybe move up when im able to avoid getting hit or have a character that uses crafting.
Still, I envy you folks who can play it, its beyond me.

Smarty

Thats some ominous laughter you've got there. Im on xbox 360 unfortunatley.

I'll stick to adept again for now, maybe move up when im able to avoid getting hit or have a character that uses crafting.
Still, I envy you folks who can play it, its beyond me.

Well since your on console, I might as well admit it. I was trying to get you to play an even higher difficulty than master, and have you believe it was easier. I would have liked to see your reaction, you would either have said: "thanks, it's much easier" or "fufufufufufufu". In any case, it would have been hilarious :D. lol

Jarrad

Haha, I can guarantee my reaction would have been of the FUUUUUU variety.

ZPfor3

Arch-Mage/Harbinger in Training
Ah yes, Master Difficulty, how do you guys manage this ? It blows my mind, I tried it for the first time a little earlier, not only was I unable to kill a simple dear but I was getting one shotted by everything, a Scavenger came up to me and cut my head off with a rusty old Iron Battle Axe, then after I reloaded I walk out the front gate in Whiterun to get destroyed by three Thalmor agents.

Seriously you guys ( and gals ) who can manage being so squishy and still play, I envy you lol.

Haha I'm with you Jarrad, idk how people can consistently play on master. I just recently went up to Expert and it's a challenge! Every once and a while I have to drop it back down to Adept (after I have died about 3 or 4 times :p), but it is still definitely much more reliant on strategy than Adept :p

Smarty

Haha I'm with you Jarrad, idk how people can consistently play on master. I just recently went up to Expert and it's a challenge! Every once and a while I have to drop it back down to Adept (after I have died about 3 or 4 times :p), but it is still definitely much more reliant on strategy than Adept :p

Here's a few tips. Always keep moving, flank the enemy, use conjuration as decoys, use invisbility, use the three crafting skills, only use your shouts when you must, use fortify potions (especially when sneaking), use poisons when you must. Don't be afraid to use sneak when you must, those bonuses really make a difference, stack magic resistance, use wards when you must, only block when you must otherwise get out of the way.

There's also tons of artifacts that can really make a difference in certain situations, here are a couple. Sanguines Rose, Spellbreaker, Aetherium artifacts, staff of magnus, Volendrung, Morokei, Nahkriin, Otar, Archmage's robes, gaulder amulet, talos's amulet (combine it with blessing of talos).

I could post more later if you are interested.

axl_rose

I don't understand why people would want to have to really think in the middle of battles, use tactics, decoy's and really waste time in fighting...this game is fight,fight,fight,fight...im not criticizing it but now at lvl 81 i play it in very easy so i can dispatch every enemy in a matter of seconds and just keep on walking...i can't take anymore fighting man...

Panthera

Don Gato

I know how you feel. My first play on master it was also my first time to run from enemies... I've never done this before. I killed what ever was considered dangerous to me. If I saw an enemy I didn't proceed until I killed it. Now is different story... If it's an enemy who is hard to kill I just sneak trough and proceed.

The way I've played my Imperial on master... I was really fragile with 100 magicka / 260 health/ 400 stamina and my character only wears clothing... ok now it has vampire royal armor but still I don't have any skill or perks in light/heavy armor. My character uses only steel weaponry and bow of the hunt. My character is lvl 47 and still runs from bear. :D

Smarty

I've been working on tips for people who have difficulty playing on Expert/Master/Legendary, here it is.