• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
So I've never really properly used magic in Skyrim before. I've used some restoration, I've used destruction a far bit. Although I've never ever used Illusion before and rarely used conjuration. So I'm going to take a challenge and play through Skyrim with only magic. I'm going to be using some mods which enhance combat (Like SkyRe and ASIS) although any mods you know of which could give me a better experience with magic? And good magic mods?? Continuing on my main point, I need some advice and suggestion with the below class:

Primary Skills: Conjuration, Illusion, Restoration
Secondary Skills: Alchemy, Enchanting, Heavy Amour*, Wayfarer**
Ratio: 3:2:1 (M:H:S)

So how would you guys change the above to make it slightly easier, but still very fun to play? What follower would you suggest (Folower mods as well) to use? How should I start the game off? Also what would you call this class?

Please help, I'm new and very noobish to magic within Skyrim.
* Note: I only use Heavy Amour
**Note: Wayfarer is a perk tree added by SkyRe

Parselmagic

I play xbox, so I can't give advice for mods. I will tell you that both illusion and conjuration are extremely powerful at higher levels. Conjuration because you can summon strong allies. Illusion can turn enemies against each other or calm them, though you have to invest heavily in it to be really useful. Again, I'm not sure if the mods you have changes this at all.

Generally tanks (heavy armored warriors) make good followers for a mage. They can get up close and absorb damage while you fire spells at a distance. If you plan to invest in conjuration then you have the option of just using summons instead of followers. I would hold off on the latter until higher levels though to save on magicka.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
If you're going to use conjuration, I would decide early on if you're going to go down the path of summoned beings or raising the dead. Both have their merits. If you're going vamp, definitely go dead stuff. Bound weapons are a hoot as well (and very useful).

Illusion is a great school, but try to get it up to higher levels early (use muffle a lot!). Be sure to get silent cast as soon as you can. Don't forget that you can get starter spells in Riverwood. I like Frenzy early on.

You indicate that you are going to be going the Heavy Armor route, so try to get a ranged sidekick (say Faendal early on?). You can always run with anybody later on, but, since you'll be slow in heavy, a ranged follower can take potshots that may let you get away with more things.

Personally I'd stay away from heavy armor. You may want to consider getting a set of vampire armor early on that gives you 15% savings on conjuration and +50% regen until you can do your own enchanting (you can try Bleak Winds if you want, I find it there occasionally or there's usually a random encounter). That way a tank could be your best friend.

I play xbox, so I can't give advice for mods. I will tell you that both illusion and conjuration are extremely powerful at higher levels. Conjuration because you can summon strong allies. Illusion can turn enemies against each other or calm them, though you have to invest heavily in it to be really useful. Again, I'm not sure if the mods you have changes this at all.

Generally tanks (heavy armored warriors) make good followers for a mage. They can get up close and absorb damage while you fire spells at a distance. If you plan to invest in conjuration then you have the option of just using summons instead of followers. I would hold off on the latter until higher levels though to save on magicka.

Okay thanks :) I'll probably try and grab a tank follower early on. I'm mainly going to upgrade my Magicka attribute so that'll help with summoning the dead and summoners :) Thanks!!

If you're going to use conjuration, I would decide early on if you're going to go down the path of summoned beings or raising the dead. Both have their merits. If you're going vamp, definitely go dead stuff. Bound weapons are a hoot as well (and very useful).

Illusion is a great school, but try to get it up to higher levels early (use muffle a lot!). Be sure to get silent cast as soon as you can. Don't forget that you can get starter spells in Riverwood. I like Frenzy early on.

You indicate that you are going to be going the Heavy Armor route, so try to get a ranged sidekick (say Faendal early on?). You can always run with anybody later on, but, since you'll be slow in heavy, a ranged follower can take potshots that may let you get away with more things.

Personally I'd stay away from heavy armor. You may want to consider getting a set of vampire armor early on that gives you 15% savings on conjuration and +50% regen until you can do your own enchanting (you can try Bleak Winds if you want, I find it there occasionally or there's usually a random encounter). That way a tank could be your best friend.

I probably won't go Vampire straight away, going to try and complete main questline and then do College and from then on try to complete all the quest lines (Including Falskaar and Wrymstooth). Since SkyRe (A mod) changes all the perk trees investing in Illusion early is quite hard, but I'll mainly focus on Illusion to start with then. One of the mods I'm using called UFO allows me to have more than one follower at a time, know of any other follower I can get early game?? I'll maybe try Heavy armour although never been a fan of light armour. What race would you suggest? Thanks a lot!!

Bulldog

I pretty much agree with Daelon. I also can't help with mods as I am a console user (and stuck there for the time being).

Grab the novice hood and robes in Helgen (unless you have a mod that skips all of that). Also if you leave helgen hit the first road on the left as you are going down the mountain. It will be the road that goes to Faulkreath. When you go down that road and see the curve run up the hill and there will be a shrine of Talos. There you can get hood thalmor robes which will give you 15% less to cast destruction which you can disenchant also.

If you are running a mod for two followers you could grab Faendal for ranged attacks, and grab the chick out of the bannered mare (the one you can brawl with, I just can't remember her name). She will have heavy armor and will be your tank. The biggest problem i see you facing ESPECIALLY with two followers will be them getting in front of you while you are casting spells and you killing them. That or you will have to stop fighting and they will get all the kills and it will take longer for you to level up.

Also try hitting the easier forts, dungeons, caves etc then progress to the harder stuff. It may also be beneficial for you to drop the difficulty down while you get used to being a pure mage, then progress the difficulty up as you go.

Daelon DuLac

I probably won't go Vampire straight away, going to try and complete main questline and then do College and from then on try to complete all the quest lines (Including Falskaar and Wrymstooth). Since SkyRe (A mod) changes all the perk trees investing in Illusion early is quite hard, but I'll mainly focus on Illusion to start with then. One of the mods I'm using called UFO allows me to have more than one follower at a time, know of any other follower I can get early game?? I'll maybe try Heavy armour although never been a fan of light armour. What race would you suggest? Thanks a lot!!
As to race it really depends on what you like. Everything pretty much evens out in the long run. Altmer is always good for the extra magicka early on.

Gigapact

Lollygagging Milk Drinker (according to guards)
For Race: Early on, I find Altmer are the most helpful because you start off with 50 bonus points in Magika. Plus their power is regenerate magika quickly which has saved my ass a few times. Later on, race doesn't really matter though.

Armor: You said you're going heavy? If you are wanting to sneak (which goes well with illusion), the heavy armor might be a pain in the beginning. Have you thought about light armor? It will better allow you to sneak and running away in the beginning (which I do a lot when I start a new mage) will be easier :p Or you can use alteration for armor and just wear clothes, but since you are already utilizing two other schools of magic, you will be running out of magika quickly. You said only heavy armor, and you can make that work too.

Enchanting: Get into this quickly if you can, as it will help reduce the cost of your spells greatly.

Conjuration: As someone already said, decide early on if you want to either summon atronaches or dead plops. If you are a vamp, get the necromage perk and just do dead things. I always prefer my storm thralls once you get to master conjuration because they don't groan constantly (which gets very annoying for me) and are pretty powerful. Quick tip on leveling up: Cast soul trap on a dead thing repeatedly, like a mud crab, if you don't mind leveling tricks like this.

Illusion: Of course you'll start off with fury, try to get calm as well. Leveling magic can sometimes move very sluggishly. So what I do: Get into a room in sneak mode full of enemies. Cast calm on one of them. Then the rest of enemies will start searching for you, cast your atronach or summon whatever (you only get points towards leveling up if the enemies are on your radar), then continue from there. Casting muffle as you travel about is also a good way to level illusion. If you are sneaking, get the perk from the illusion tree that allows all your spells to be silent to others. BEWARE, your illusion spells do not work on undead or dwemer machines until you get the last perk (you need level 90 illusion).

Destruction: I noticed you did not mention destruction. So I assume you're going to rely on followers and conjuration to do your killing for you? (It's actually fun that way). But if you also want to participate in some blood spilling directly, then I would invest in destruction. Try to pick one, maybe two areas, like fire and shock. I normally stick to shock because it helps take care of those pesky mages.

Standing stone blessing: I would either get the Mage stone since it is a pain to level up magic sometimes, or you can get the Lord stone (50points extra armor and resist magic).

Other tips: I would definitely get a follower early on. Once that is not afraid to get up close to enemies while you do your thing from afar. I always like Janessa for the beginning because she does both ranged and close up combat. Always carry around some potions. Get to the College of Winterhold ASAP because you get some very helpful enchanted gear for mages during the quests. Do you have dawnguard? If so, if you join the vamps, you get do a quest for the rings of blood magic or whatever. One of those rings adds 100 magicka and allows it to regenerate quickly, and yes it does work in your normal form, not just VL. As a vampire, you also get 25% bonus to illusion magic and 25% bonus to sneak, if you get the necromage perk, your spells are even more powerful. But keep in mind the sun damage bullplops. It's a tradeoff, but enchanting can quickly fix that.

Mods: Can't help you here, on xbox!

Have fun!

W'rkncacnter

Mister Freeze
So I've never really properly used magic in Skyrim before. I've used some restoration, I've used destruction a far bit. Although I've never ever used Illusion before and rarely used conjuration. So I'm going to take a challenge and play through Skyrim with only magic. I'm going to be using some mods which enhance combat (Like SkyRe and ASIS) although any mods you know of which could give me a better experience with magic? And good magic mods?? Continuing on my main point, I need some advice and suggestion with the below class:

Primary Skills: Conjuration, Illusion, Restoration
Secondary Skills: Alchemy, Enchanting, Heavy Amour*, Wayfarer**
Ratio: 3:2:1 (M:H:S)

So how would you guys change the above to make it slightly easier, but still very fun to play? What follower would you suggest (Folower mods as well) to use? How should I start the game off? Also what would you call this class?

Please help, I'm new and very noobish to magic within Skyrim.
* Note: I only use Heavy Amour
**Note: Wayfarer is a perk tree added by SkyRe
I assume you are using Wayfarer as a means to overcome the speed penalty? Otherwise it offers very little to your character other than a permanent detect life effect.

I've found SkyRe's version of illusion to be incompatible with myself. I'm sure some enjoy it, but I found I would often switch to something else. Most effects only work once per person/creature and the phantom spells are difficult to pull off. Hopefully you have a better experience. Coupled with conjuration it might play out a little better - beware though I think the phantoms count toward your maximum summons.

Restoration, in my opinion, is one of the slowest leveling schools. Characters I've made, which relied heavily on it (cleric-type) never managed to get the skill up very high. I suppose you could power-level it somehow, but I never bothered. I tried the chastise combo spells once or twice but the magicka expense and low damage seemed to render them ineffective.

Ultimately, I find conjuration, destruction, and alteration to be the most useful schools. But I realize this is probably just a play-style preference.

The only magic mod I use is "Apocalypse Spells". There are a number of Alteration spells that made life tolerable for my pure-mage, but it also includes spells from every school. I've tried "Midas" but the effort to obtain spells made it too tedious for me. I also had "Forgotten Magic" installed until recently, but I really didn't use the spells as they were generally weaker than others.

While not a mage-specific mod you might be interested in one called Character Creation Overhaul. It forces you into more of an Oblivion style skill selection (6 main skills that start at 30 [all others are at 5] and level faster). It removes the "everyone is good at anything" direction that Skyrim uses.

You'll find out that mage's generally have the deck stacked against them from the start. While warriors run out of stamina, it doesn't stop them from swinging. When you run out of magicka you have nothing. Warriors can pick up weapons from fallen enemies and improve them at the grindstone. You have to purchase most of your attacks and they only improve with your skill level and perks. Mages can be unstoppable, you just have to work extra hard at the beginning of the game.

Daelon DuLac

Speaking of mages, can I ask a question?

I actually enjoy the fact that you can be a spell-sword or a battle-mage in TES games.

I am so frustated with Dragon Age and Dragon's Dogma at the moment as I really want to play a mage, but you are so weak and limited to just that particular style.

Why would someone who knows how to use a weapon not also know how to use a spell?

I appreciate that, while it slows progression in any particular school, TES allows you flexibility.

I love using magic in Skyrim, but need to be able to survive at low levels so I use a weapon and armor. I realize that you "pure" mages have it down to a science and use followers, but that's just not my style.

Do y'all appreciate that you can be flexible? I get the impression from W'rkncacnter's post that the ability to be variable is not popular?

Daelon DuLac

I actually enjoy the fact that you can be a spell-sword or a battle-mage in TES games.

I am so frustated with Dragon Age and Dragon's Dogma at the moment as I really want to play a mage, but you are so weak and limited to just that particular style.

Why would someone who knows how to use a weapon not also know how to use a spell?

I appreciate that, while it slows progression in any particular school, TES allows you flexibility.

I love using magic in Skyrim, but need to be able to survive at low levels so I use a weapon and armor. I realize that you "pure" mages have it down to a science and use followers, but that's just not my style.

Do y'all appreciate that you can be flexible? I get the impression from W'rkncacnter's post that the ability to be variable is not popular?
I only ask because, after a 6 month break I'm considering going back to Skyrim for a new runthrough and I am intending to try to run a character that uses a lot a magic. As I don't use followers or like to conjure companions either, I wonder how it's going to go.

W'rkncacnter

Mister Freeze
I think this stems from the amount of training required for each discipline and the wide gap between the training styles. One is book-learning while the other is movement focused.

Absolutely, I can be flexible. I've made mages who use nothing but magic, warriors who abhor magic, and spell-swords. It comes down the the role-play aspect for myself. Would this character raise a sword or is that beneath him? How did he happen to learn the couple spells he knows?

My spell-swords typically aren't going to master the school of magic they know because their understanding is not complete. Perhaps they were family-taught and only understand the basics, maybe they can't read, or perhaps they just don't have the capacity to be a full mage. To them, magic is a tool rather than an art. Flames in the face to blind before the killing strike; ice on the arm to slow what could have been a devastating blow; the minor ability to crudely mend flesh back together.

With enough motivation, I could see Ham-Fist Stone-Slinger trading in his war axe to become the greatest mage in Tamriel. It's what you want to limit yourself to.

I pretty much agree with Daelon. I also can't help with mods as I am a console user (and stuck there for the time being).

Grab the novice hood and robes in Helgen (unless you have a mod that skips all of that). Also if you leave helgen hit the first road on the left as you are going down the mountain. It will be the road that goes to Faulkreath. When you go down that road and see the curve run up the hill and there will be a shrine of Talos. There you can get hood thalmor robes which will give you 15% less to cast destruction which you can disenchant also.

If you are running a mod for two followers you could grab Faendal for ranged attacks, and grab the chick out of the bannered mare (the one you can brawl with, I just can't remember her name). She will have heavy armor and will be your tank. The biggest problem i see you facing ESPECIALLY with two followers will be them getting in front of you while you are casting spells and you killing them. That or you will have to stop fighting and they will get all the kills and it will take longer for you to level up.

Also try hitting the easier forts, dungeons, caves etc then progress to the harder stuff. It may also be beneficial for you to drop the difficulty down while you get used to being a pure mage, then progress the difficulty up as you go.

Thanks for tip about the Thalmor robes! I know the person you're talking about in the Bannered Mare, and for that problem I do believe the Followers will lock-on to nearby hostiles which have detected me.
Hitting the easier forts and caves will be hard cause some mods make dungeons (Especially caves) REALLY dark and a torch is required. (Adds more danger to the game) Although I'll give that a try!! Thanks!!!

The main reason why I'm hooked to Skyrim is the flexibility :) So I can go a two-handed light warrior or a heavy armoured dual-dagger guy if I want to, games with set archetypes and/or classes aren't my favourite type of game.

Daelon DuLac

The main reason why I'm hooked to Skyrim is the flexibility :) So I can go a two-handed light warrior or a heavy armoured dual-dagger guy if I want to, games with set archetypes and/or classes aren't my favourite type of game.
Especially when you're locked in to an inappropriate class in order to complete a particular mission. Sorry, but a warrior doesn't stand a chance against 20 mages when they're all by themselves.

For Race: Early on, I find Altmer are the most helpful because you start off with 50 bonus points in Magika. Plus their power is regenerate magika quickly which has saved my ass a few times. Later on, race doesn't really matter though.

Armor: You said you're going heavy? If you are wanting to sneak (which goes well with illusion), the heavy armor might be a pain in the beginning. Have you thought about light armor? It will better allow you to sneak and running away in the beginning (which I do a lot when I start a new mage) will be easier :p Or you can use alteration for armor and just wear clothes, but since you are already utilizing two other schools of magic, you will be running out of magika quickly. You said only heavy armor, and you can make that work too.

Enchanting: Get into this quickly if you can, as it will help reduce the cost of your spells greatly.

Conjuration: As someone already said, decide early on if you want to either summon atronaches or dead pl***. If you are a vamp, get the necromage perk and just do dead things. I always prefer my storm thralls once you get to master conjuration because they don't groan constantly (which gets very annoying for me) and are pretty powerful. Quick tip on leveling up: Cast soul trap on a dead thing repeatedly, like a mud crab, if you don't mind leveling tricks like this.

Illusion: Of course you'll start off with fury, try to get calm as well. Leveling magic can sometimes move very sluggishly. So what I do: Get into a room in sneak mode full of enemies. Cast calm on one of them. Then the rest of enemies will start searching for you, cast your atronach or summon whatever (you only get points towards leveling up if the enemies are on your radar), then continue from there. Casting muffle as you travel about is also a good way to level illusion. If you are sneaking, get the perk from the illusion tree that allows all your spells to be silent to others. BEWARE, your illusion spells do not work on undead or dwemer machines until you get the last perk (you need level 90 illusion).

Destruction: I noticed you did not mention destruction. So I assume you're going to rely on followers and conjuration to do your killing for you? (It's actually fun that way). But if you also want to participate in some blood spilling directly, then I would invest in destruction. Try to pick one, maybe two areas, like fire and shock. I normally stick to shock because it helps take care of those pesky mages.

Standing stone blessing: I would either get the Mage stone since it is a pain to level up magic sometimes, or you can get the Lord stone (50points extra armor and resist magic).

Other tips: I would definitely get a follower early on. Once that is not afraid to get up close to enemies while you do your thing from afar. I always like Janessa for the beginning because she does both ranged and close up combat. Always carry around some potions. Get to the College of Winterhold ASAP because you get some very helpful enchanted gear for mages during the quests. Do you have dawnguard? If so, if you join the vamps, you get do a quest for the rings of blood magic or whatever. One of those rings adds 100 magicka and allows it to regenerate quickly, and yes it does work in your normal form, not just VL. As a vampire, you also get 25% bonus to illusion magic and 25% bonus to sneak, if you get the necromage perk, your spells are even more powerful. But keep in mind the sun damage bullpl***. It's a tradeoff, but enchanting can quickly fix that.

Have fun!

Thanks for the info!! I may try Light Amour (Or mixture of Heavy and Light!) I do have Daw guard so I'll try to become a Vampire early on (After College Quests) which should help me :) The only problem with Vamps is, as you said, the sun damage! That will pose serious problems but I'll try and find a way around :) Thanks!!

I assume you are using Wayfarer as a means to overcome the speed penalty? Otherwise it offers very little to your character other than a permanent detect life effect.

I've found SkyRe's version of illusion to be incompatible with myself. I'm sure some enjoy it, but I found I would often switch to something else. Most effects only work once per person/creature and the phantom spells are difficult to pull off. Hopefully you have a better experience. Coupled with conjuration it might play out a little better - beware though I think the phantoms count toward your maximum summons.

Restoration, in my opinion, is one of the slowest leveling schools. Characters I've made, which relied heavily on it (cleric-type) never managed to get the skill up very high. I suppose you could power-level it somehow, but I never bothered. I tried the chastise combo spells once or twice but the magicka expense and low damage seemed to render them ineffective.

Ultimately, I find conjuration, destruction, and alteration to be the most useful schools. But I realize this is probably just a play-style preference.

The only magic mod I use is "Apocalypse Spells". There are a number of Alteration spells that made life tolerable for my pure-mage, but it also includes spells from every school. I've tried "Midas" but the effort to obtain spells made it too tedious for me. I also had "Forgotten Magic" installed until recently, but I really didn't use the spells as they were generally weaker than others.

While not a mage-specific mod you might be interested in one called Character Creation Overhaul. It forces you into more of an Oblivion style skill selection (6 main skills that start at 30 [all others are at 5] and level faster). It removes the "everyone is good at anything" direction that Skyrim uses.

You'll find out that mage's generally have the deck stacked against them from the start. While warriors run out of stamina, it doesn't stop them from swinging. When you run out of magicka you have nothing. Warriors can pick up weapons from fallen enemies and improve them at the grindstone. You have to purchase most of your attacks and they only improve with your skill level and perks. Mages can be unstoppable, you just have to work extra hard at the beginning of the game.

What do you mean about SkyRe incompatibility about Illusion?? Thought about some magic mods but SkyRe alters all the damage output of weapons and spells so the new spells would be rendered useless after the buff to all other spells (Do you know a way around that?) Thanks for that help :)

Daelon DuLac

Conjuration: As someone already said, decide early on if you want to either summon atronaches or dead pl***. If you are a vamp, get the necromage perk and just do dead things. I always prefer my storm thralls once you get to master conjuration because they don't groan constantly (which gets very annoying for me) and are pretty powerful. Quick tip on leveling up: Cast soul trap on a dead thing repeatedly, like a mud crab, if you don't mind leveling tricks like this.

Other tips: I would definitely get a follower early on. Once that is not afraid to get up close to enemies while you do your thing from afar. I always like Janessa for the beginning because she does both ranged and close up combat. Always carry around some potions. Get to the College of Winterhold ASAP because you get some very helpful enchanted gear for mages during the quests. Do you have dawnguard? If so, if you join the vamps, you get do a quest for the rings of blood magic or whatever. One of those rings adds 100 magicka and allows it to regenerate quickly, and yes it does work in your normal form, not just VL. As a vampire, you also get 25% bonus to illusion magic and 25% bonus to sneak, if you get the necromage perk, your spells are even more powerful. But keep in mind the sun damage bullpl***. It's a tradeoff, but enchanting can quickly fix that.

Have fun!

Thanks for the info!! I may try Light Amour (Or mixture of Heavy and Light!) I do have Daw guard so I'll try to become a Vampire early on (After College Quests) which should help me :) The only problem with Vamps is, as you said, the sun damage! That will pose serious problems but I'll try and find a way around :) Thanks!!
You can always just wear the armor and go vamp later on. While I love being a vamp, the sizzling sun damage constantly (when I have to go shopping!) can get on my nerves.

You can always just wear the armor and go vamp later on. While I love being a vamp, the sizzling sun damage constantly (when I have to go shopping!) can get on my nerves.

Also something has mucked up the feeding ability so I can't feed on people so I have to stay away from civilisation (Which isn't good)

Daelon DuLac

Also something has mucked up the feeding ability so I can't feed on people so I have to stay away from civilisation (Which isn't good)
So you're not only a bloodsucking ghoul, but you're a bloodsucking ghoul who's a pauper. How depressing is that (insert standard right-wing talking point here...)

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts