• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Drewski

Relaxing on Revis Island, with Revis and Holmes :(
Picked Up Skyrim again, having fun, created a destruction/alteration mage....but aren't mages just the poorman, compared to a fighter or stealth build...The destruction spells do so little damage, and yes I know about spell reduction costs, but with so little room for error [using Impact even] an unexpected encounter with a bear at lvl 23 is a life or death struggle...

Any thoughts, better tips...and Im an extremly experienced player btw :)

Edit: This is on expert btw, I think playing a master or higher lvl pure mage is too much for my nerves

Rimfaxe96

"Poorman"?

Depends on what mage you are, that one
wow-cataclysm-mage-spec.jpg

or that one
Magma_Mage_by_pamansazz.jpg

If you're rather referring to the gameplay... well yeah, they kinda are not-nearly as powerful as most double-wielded assassins and most other character build types. Which is kind of sad, in a land like Skyrim you should at least find some more powerful frost spells or maybe get taught some friggin' epic snow elf magic from Gelebor and stuff, but yeah, Bethesda's not that efficient anymore it seems.

TJ0331

Nords forever
If you get the impact perk and 100% spell reduction cost mages are really good. Add in some conjuration to make a distraction and if you want a follower too. I think mages should be weak in a physical fight so the 100% reduction isn't that op. I play a telvanni wizard and it's really fun.

Nighthiker77

Yeah let your dremora lords beast out for you. As soon as you hit 65 conjuration you are set.

You can also go invisible or Aethereal.

If you have a follower and an summon or 2, you won't even need to attack usually.

TJ0331

Nords forever
My telvanni wizard summons a seeker to help him out. I love the dragonborn dlc because it makes telvanni wizards possible and very fun.

Vaga8ond

If you get the impact perk and 100% spell reduction cost mages are really good. Add in some conjuration to make a distraction and if you want a follower too. I think mages should be weak in a physical fight so the 100% reduction isn't that op. I play a telvanni wizard and it's really fun.

The issue with the impact perk is that it forces you to spam the same spell over and over making mages more boring over the long haul. I like to have two different spells, two different schools even in each hand, however it's not efficient to do so because you loose the ability to stun. Early on you will have issues with magica as well. Nothing like being a cloth wearer and not have any way to heal or deal damage other than trying to stab someone with a dagger, maybe switch to a staff if you have one.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
I find being a Mage fairly easy. I paralyze an enemy then finish them off in my own pace.

Add in illusion and you're controlling the battle field, calming enemies, forcing them to flee or fight each other. Sneaking is also quite easy for a mage with muffle and invisibility you can basically jump around in front of everyone.

Mages can block all dragon breath attacks with a mere lesser ward.

Destruction isn't exactly useless, especially high level destruction. I tend to cause dragons to come crash landing out of the sky to turn into an ash pile.

Add in dragonborn dlc and you can get the whirlwind cloak which sends those who come too close to go flying backwards.

For the "Poorman" of the classes, the Mage can do so many things. They're weak when they start off of course, but once you get a Mage that has mastered their craft they will own you seven times over.

Take a follower and use them as a meat shield, use some illusion on your follower to give them greater health and higher skills.

I have life and death struggles with my pure mage against bears, sabre cats... thieves... even freakin skeevers and cranky foxes!

Totally agree that being a mage at the beginning is tough, but it does get better :)

Fight to the death is what makes the game fun. Makes every victory that more earned. I fought a legendary dragon for an hour with my pure Mage across half of Skyrim. Started at the top of the Hall of the Elements then I ended up near Whiterun.

Drewski

Relaxing on Revis Island, with Revis and Holmes :(
Good points, thanks guys...however I intended to do an absolute solo mage, no followers no conjuring...destruction and alteration only, no illusion...LOL...thats probably a bit too masochistic

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Good points, thanks guys...however I intended to do an absolute solo mage, no followers no conjuring...destruction and alteration only, no illusion...LOL...thats probably a bit too masochistic
My current mage (now at level 62) was a weakling at low level (and I agree that destruction spells are under powered even at high levels on many things), so I had him do a 1/1 for the longest time (1 handed and 1 hand spells). I've never used followers so I see where you're coming from so learn to sneak and stay out of sight and hit them spam from a distance (I started with fire as it's the strongest low and moved on to lightning and now I switch up). Ice spikes are a great weapon at low level as well as fire bolts.

Now I use almost exclusively magic in most cases (even if I do have to hit some opponents multiple times to get 'em good).

A lot of folks will swear by frenzy, calm, etc... spells but I don't agree. While fun, they really aren't very useful to me. I can already take care of enemies in other ways that are as low a level as can be effected by them so having them stand there stupid or kill each other is kind of pointless to me, but, hey, at least once you've got the perks, you can really have some fun. They can, however be very useful if you play at difficulty levels above adept as those enemies can do serious damage.

Absolutely agree that regen on your magic and reduction in cost is essential so get those perks to reduce your cost as well as items and enchantments to get your regen up (I'm at 350% now on regen and, w/perks near 0 on cost). It really, really helps as you have to spam the heck out of almost all spells to take down anything simpler than a low level animal or bandit.