Mage profile advice please?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

orca45

What we do in life, echoes in the eternity !
I think i have figured out how he is gonna be.
He will use sneak and daggers and alteration.
But the problem now is what race.

In my opinion, it does not matter as far as your sneaking level is very high and you enchant your weapon, armors and items. Once they are enchanted to your level of preference, what does it matter what class you are if you are going to be undetectable and unharmed anyway ? I use Nord but that is just me because I want to looks human. I do respect what others choose but again, it does not matter at the end of the day doing what I do ... just my 2 cents ... ;)

Mageman13

In my opinion, it does not matter as far as your sneaking level is very high and you enchant your weapon, armors and items. Once they are enchanted to your level of preference, what does it matter what class you are if you are going to be undetectable and unharmed anyway ? I use Nord but that is just me because I want to looks human. I do respect what others choose but again, it does not matter at the end of the day doing what I do ... just my 2 cents ... ;)
Hmm..it's a lot of thinking.
If i use one handed and alteration.
Because then i can run into a room and throw paralyze spells on people and then smash them with a sword. :D

Joker

Cook, Wine Taster, Scotch Taster, Adventure Seeker
I think i have figured out how he is gonna be.
He will use sneak and daggers and alteration.
But the problem now is what race.

Khajiit would provide the extra sneak out of the gate, Redguard has the 1-Handed big points, Alteration doesn't have one race with the 25 points, but there are 5 races with 20 points: Altmer (High Elf), Argonian, Breton, Dunmer (Dark Elf), and Redguard.

Having said all that, there is no real bonus for any race except for the Altmer, which gets 50 extra points for magicka use out of Helgen. After a certain level, 20 I believe, the way you have spent your perk points can, and usually will have ovecome any starting deficiencies.

Well, Alteration allow you to paralyze and be invisible. The Paralyze spell is one that I use a lot but the invisibility one, simply sucks ... nothing beats sneaking. If you are invisible and you open a chest, door or kill an enemy, your effect will goes away and you will be exposed to others; on the other hand, if you use sneak, you will be completely invisible, undetectable not matter what you do or what you interact with. Now, combining sneaking with paralyze, will make you simply super effective in combat so you can paralyze one of them while killing the other and then charge the one that is paralyzed. It is very helpful.
Invisibility is an Illusion effect, not Alteration. If you charge the Invisibility spell before you interact (Open a door, or whatever) you can release it, and with the proper timing, never raise the alarm. Doesn't work on Backstabs, though.

The first thing you need to learn before effectively playing a Wizard (Meaning Pure Mage, no weapons, or armor) is to stop thinking in terms of Damage. That's a Warrior, a Wizard thinks in terms of Effects. Summons, and Frenzy are a good combo, then you just hang back, and defend yourself while they fight the battle for you. You will not survive in the melee, so stay out of it, and exert your Will over it from outside. Here's some others for your consideration:

Paralyse>Wall of Flames. The latter does 50 damaeg pers econd for 20 seconds. That's 1000 damage, if you can keep them in the AoE.

Frost Road: Run away, casting Wall of Frost at your feet. Don't worry about Resistance, it doesn't count against the Slow tertiary affect that keeps them from catching you. You have 2 hands, so you can use another element as well. Also, you can hose down a grounded Dragon with multiple instances, since their footprints are so large. Even if they're Frost Dragons, make one of the Frost so they don't have the Stamina to take off again. Actually kills them faster that even Lightning Storm.

Don't dual cast everything. It deals 10% more damage for 40% more Magicka. If you impact, you can hit them with 2 more Firebolts by charging one while your release the other, then Impact them again. Your Magicka will last a lot longer, which means more Firebolts. Incinerate is pretty much inferior to Firebolt in terms of Magicka/Damage dealt, it's generally better to hit them with 3 firebolts than 1 incinerate, because it piles up the Afterburn effect to kill them faster with DoT.

Again, it's not about Damage, it's about Effects. This is vital to playing a Wizard effectively.

Epic Keith

By Ysmir you're going to FREEZE to death!
I used to have trouble with mages but then I realized I needed Alteration, But it was pretty annoying to switch from Alteration to Destruction to Conjuration

In my next playthough, I will make an Electromancer and Necromancer and also with a little Alteration to make sure I don't die as quick.

AS88

Staff member
Well, Alteration allow you to paralyze and be invisible.

Invisibility is from Illusion :)

edit: psiberzerker beat me to it

Mageman13

I think im gonna stick to my destruction conjuration mage. He will always be
overpowered!
And i like the dead trall on master vampires! Just pure awesome!!

Locks066

ok i got some questions.....

with magic regen how much is to much ? like can i go 200% fast magica regen ordoes it simply waste space?

Is all the switching between spells normal ? In combat i seem to always be switching from oakfish to renimate corpse to fire bolt. Is all this switching normal ?

What level do i have to be in a certain school of magic to buy better spells ? Im looking for a better conjuration spell but cant seem to find one

How much should of focus on raising my health ? Im like a level 22 and only have 120 health is that not enough ?

ok i got some questions.....

with magic regen how much is to much ? like can i go 200% fast magica regen ordoes it simply waste space?

Is all the switching between spells normal ? In combat i seem to always be switching from oakfish to renimate corpse to fire bolt. Is all this switching normal ?

What level do i have to be in a certain school of magic to buy better spells ? Im looking for a better conjuration spell but cant seem to find one

How much should of focus on raising my health ? Im like a level 22 and only have 120 health is that not enough ?
Yeah, you kind of have to juggle if you're going to use the most optimal spell/combo at any given time. That's the real trick, knowing the best tactic for the ever changing battlefield, and smoothly transitioning between them.

Magicka Regen depends on how/much you spam. If you're just using Impact, and can recover before they do, you have enough. I don't believe in "Too much magicka regen" unless you enchant for freed Destruction/Illusion (The two I tend to spam myself dry with.)

Spells unlock 10 levels before the Rank perk, so 15 for Apprentice (Meaning anone can buy them) 40 Adept, 65 Expert, and 90 Master, (plus you have to do the Ritual Spell)

Nighthiker77

300 magica has always been enough for me to cast 2 dremora lords or storm atronachs and a bound bow. That would almost tap me out, and but they all last 2 minutes. If you aren't getting killed a lot, you have enough health.

How much you need of each depends on your playstyle. Regen definitely doesn't hurt, and if you manage your magica well, you can get away with having a lot less(and more health)

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Magic regeneration is not that important, the larger your pool of magic the faster it'll regenerate. So what you want is more Magicka over regenerate.

Conjuration will be your back up, allowing you to summon Dremora Lords, elemental daedra. With the added Dawnguard, you'll gain summons from Soul Cairn which benefit from the Necromancy perks. The Wrathman with full Necromancy perks will be able to take quite a few hits distracting your enemy while you attack from range. The Aetherial Crown + the Ritual Stone will allow you to raise up a large army of undead, being able to use the stone's power as many times as you want, the more foes you kill, the more your forces grow.

Illusion, with the right perks will just about work on everything except Dragons. Duel casting expert level spells is a good way to make sure it'll affect your enemies, causing them to kill each other, be calm and allow you to walk by or flee in terror from you. With Master of the Mind perk, you will be able to use Courage, Rally & Call to Arms on your undead if you are using the Crown, using all three will stack, adding in being a Vampire and Necromage perk from restoration. Your army will cut down everything, with increased health, they will not flee and they gain benefits in Archery, One handed, Two handed etc for ten minutes.

Alteration is your armor and also a good money maker, turning iron ore into gold ore will allow you to forge many rings and necklaces to gain a large profit for a very low cost. While also increasing Smithing, Alteration & Enchanting if you choose to enchant those rings. Mage armor perks are a must to survive, with the Lord Stone you'll gain an extra fifty armor rating and magic resist, that is another useful perk to take, also being a Breton stacks onto it. Paralyze is very handy also, allowing you to take down those who pose the largest threat while you and your summons/follower handle the others.

Restoration is always needed, it'll allow you to heal yourself & your followers and undead if you have Dawnguard. Lesser wards will block all dragon breath attacks, even from Legendary dragons. Used with the duel impact to stagger foes, taking on dragons will be much easier as long as you keep them at a distance, if it lands you fall back. They can kill you in one bite. Restoration also has some good spells against the undead, which you will face quite a bit in Skyrim, the circle of protection will allow you to recover while any undead who cross into it will flee. Bane of the undead is also a pretty cool spell. Though master level spells take too long to use.

Destruction is always useful, though not always needed. The duel impact will stagger foes when you duel cast your elemental spells, this will allow you to keep hammering a foe and constantly staggering them while your summons/follower take them out. Though don't pass up a good Staff when you get the chance, keeping your magicka bar up is what keeps you alive, the staff won't cost any magicka to use. A Mage with no Magicka is a dead Mage.

Enchanting is well rather self explained, it's needed. Allowing you to create good enchantments for cost reduction or increase your magicka pool. They also offer resistance to the elements and magical attacks.

Alchemy, while not classed in the same as a Wizard anymore, potions will save your life. They can offer what you lack on enchanting, fortifying schools of magic, to resistance and refill health and magika.

Luckily Skyrim doesn't have any Witch Hunters, so you should be rather fine. Good method, generally with all styles of play when in combat, keep moving. Wards will protect you if you time them correctly, just make sure you use the correct ward to the correct opponent, a lesser ward against a High level Pyromancer will not end well.

The best advice I can probably give, make sure if you favorite spells which you probably favorite a lot of spells. Make sure you select the right one when you attack, believe me I know how badly it ends when you attack a Bandit Chief with Magelight instead of Thunder bolt.

Joker

Cook, Wine Taster, Scotch Taster, Adventure Seeker
The best advice I can probably give, make sure if you favorite spells which you probably favorite a lot of spells. Make sure you select the right one when you attack, believe me I know how badly it ends when you attack a Bandit Chief with Magelight instead of Thunder bolt.

Yeah, but he glows brightly as he runs up to cave in your skull.....:D

Locks066

hey with conjuration when you summon a say a sword. Do you get 1 hand exp as well as conjuration or just conjuration xp. i do mean in the line of summon and attacking with it in battle of course.

AS88

Staff member
hey with conjuration when you summon a say a sword. Do you get 1 hand exp as well as conjuration or just conjuration xp. i do mean in the line of summon and attacking with it in battle of course.

Both :)

Nighthiker77

You get both conjuration and weapon experience using bound weapons. You can really level conjuration fast by using summons and bound weapons. If you are trying to avoid weapon experience, it doesn't work.

HipsterDogie

If you want to start with a lot of magicka in the begining then you should choose the Altmer/High Elf Race in the begining and then Head for the Atronach Stone Wich Lies In a swamp between Riften And windhelm.

HipsterDogie

If you want to start with a lot of magicka in the begining then you should choose the Altmer/High Elf Race in the begining and then Head for the Atronach Stone Wich Lies In a swamp between Riften And windhelm.
The Altmer/High elf race will give you 50 piontst to magicka but it gives you weakness to all types of magicka so i prefer to take Alteration And max it for magick protection.
The Atronach stone gives you
+50 magick
+50 Spell absorbation
-50 magick regeneration speed
so i would search for some very good robes for magick regeneration.

HipsterDogie

You get both conjuration and weapon experience using bound weapons. You can really level conjuration fast by using summons and bound weapons. If you are trying to avoid weapon experience, it doesn't work.
If you want to Level up Conjutation fast the you should search for a soul trap spell then you should find some horkers and becuase they're very slow on land they don't pose a big threath to you.
And you should use the soul trap on the Horkers For a while but the magicka regen will take a bit.
I did this and i wound up with 6 lvl's and 52 conjuration in an hour.