Looking for Thoughts on my Argonian

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
So I finally made my first Argonian late last night. I came up with a story and I think it all pans out really well, but I'm hoping to get some feedback and suggestions. I only progressed out of Helgen, so the character is still a blank slate for the most part.

The build is my take on what an Argonian Battle Chief would be like. One-handed, dual wielding swords. Light armor. Stealth. Alchemy. And smithing. I want to add a school of magic and that is my first question to pose to you guys.

What is a lore friendly school of magic for an Argonian Battle Chief?

Story-wise, I think I'm solid, too. I'll give you the Reader's Digest version just to get some feedback. Bit of a disclaimer because I don't think there is any concrete evidence as to how long Argonians live. So, unless someone comes up with some concrete evidence that says otherwise, I'm going with the idea that between their reptilian/amphibian physiology and the magic Hist Sap, they've got lengthy lives. It also plays off the idea that we don't really know WHEN the Argonians invaded Morrowind. We just know it was after the Red Mountain erupted. If anyone knows details, please share!

Anyway, the character is a Battle Chieftain who fought the Dunmer in some capacity. Whether he invaded or simply punished the Dunmer for their enslavement of the Argonians. He had to do some particularly ruthless things and he didn't always agree with them. He's up in age now and has decided to atone for some of the awful plops he's done. He sees Skyrim as a place in turmoil and an opportunity to help people in need. While he hasn't been kicked out of his tribe, but they know he's lost the will to do what needs to be done. So the Powers That Be are happy to see him leave. He's traveling to Skyrim when he gets picked up on the wagon.

His name is Saw-A-Dragon and I know that goes against the lore where Cyrodiilic names are present tense (ie. Sees-A-Dragon), but I thought it was a funny way of having Nord ignorance of Argonian culture and his circumstances at Helgen prove useful. Being the only Argonian at Helgen, news traveled about the dragon and the Argonian. It started out that when he strolled into town, people would go, "Is that the Argonian that saw a dragon?" Then to, "That Argonian saw a dragon." To, "He saw a dragon." To, "He's Saw-A-Dragon." I thought it was cute and seeing as how he wants a fresh start, he wasn't going to correct them or bother giving them his Jel name.

Any ideas, suggestions, or feedback is welcomed. I don't normally ask like this with a character, but I feel like I'm super shaky on my Argonian lore. Probably because there just isn't much of it out there.

AS88

Staff member
Glad you're trying an Argonian! In terms of concrete stuff on ages, this is more or less all I've ever found.

"Something that is in big debate on every single forum I've seen as of late is the life expectancy of the different races of Tamriel for roleplaying purposes. Can you please elaborate and give us some numbers to work with for each race or at least the Elven races (Altmer, Bosmer, and Dunmer)? – By Nathan Payne / Andrew Hudson

Elves live two to three times as long as humans and the “beast-races” (Orcs, Khajiiti, Argonians). A 200-year-old Elf is old; a 300-year-old Elf is very, very old indeed. Anyone older than that has prolonged his or her lifespan through powerful magic."

http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/2013/05/06/ask-us-anything-variety-pack-4

This doesn't necessarily kill your backstory, though. The things about the backstory could still work, but for a younger generation (or closer to middle-aged), by saying that these stories involving his family had always been relayed through tribal gatherings, and your character didn't always feel like the actions taken were appropriate. He had been expected to live up to these expectations, and always preferred to distance himself from them rather than embrace them.

Also, Argonians often change gender at least once in their lifetime, so this could factor into your story.

Sees-Black-Wings could be a more dramatic name, in the same mold as you were talking about.

Hope this helps :blackdragon:

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
Ok, so general rule of thumb is that Argonians live about the same age as humans. It bothers me to no end that they clump the Orcs in there, but I understand the source and setting.

I like the next generation concept. I think it would be fitting for him to have some lineage linking him to being an excellent warrior. Plus, it gives the character room to grow. My idea had the character previously being awesome, dropping in ability, and then growing back to his old standard as he progressed in Skyrim.

So we don't really know anything about the Morrowind invasion? When it happened? What the Argonians have been doing with the territory its captured? Everything seems to suggest that they're basically brutalizing the Dark Elves as retribution. I guess that gives me wiggle room to play with.

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
Also, any idea of what a lore friendly school of magic would be? They get a bonus in Alteration... I suppose that would probably make the most sense. But I feel like I read somewhere they're good with Illusion.

Kalin of High Rock

Faal Lun Vahdin
All of that experience chugging ritual psychotropic hist sap has to give an Argonian some some insight into the inner workings of the mind and how to effect it.

The Argonians (and to a lesser extent Nords and Orcs) pushed into Morrowind in the confusion following The Red Year. They raped and ravaged and pillaged all the way up to Mournhold, former capitol of Morrowind.

The Red Year was 4e 5
The Argonians invade mainland Morrowind in 4e 6.

Mournhold was eventually recaptured by the resurgent Redoran Guard, but was no longer the capitol of Morrowind. So (I'm assuming here) it took a fair long while for the Argonians to be expelled. But I'd have to also assume all of this was wrapped up well before the events in Skyrim, modern day Tamriel.

The Dragon Crisis takes place 4e 201.

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
This is the timeline I've always used for this sort of stuff: http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline

It doesn't list when the Argonians invaded Morrowind, but it does say that 4E150 an Argonian fleet shows up in Solstheim. Yet it has no reference and is highly questionable, I suspect. With the Great War starting in 4E171, I read these two things as though the whole Argonian/Dunmer conflict was still going on. Especially considering this is TES and occupations always last like, hundreds of years it seems.

This is one of the things that has always hindered me from playing an Argonian character. What is my reason for being in Skyrim? What is my character's motivation? I have to really consider this now.

Here's another question, is magic use common among Argonians? I've never thought of them to be magically inclined. I know they have mages and what have you, but so do the Nords. But I wouldn't say they're aspire for magical greatness.

JoeReese

So far, I've found that Elder Scrolls Wikia, UESP and the ESO description all describe them as "well versed in the magical arts. The UESP mentions Alteration and Restoration bonuses, but the ESO page shows restoration bonus only. It almost seems like there were plans for greater magical involvement that just never came to fruition or something. If you're not sure about Alteration, you might give Restoration magic a shot. It would tie in with the Histskin ability for health regeneration.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Argonian

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Argonian

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Argonian

http://elderscrollsonline.info/argonian

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
So far, I've found that Elder Scrolls Wikia, UESP and the ESO description all describe them as "well versed in the magical arts. The UESP mentions Alteration and Restoration bonuses, but the ESO page shows restoration bonus only. It almost seems like there were plans for greater magical involvement that just never came to fruition or something. If you're not sure about Alteration, you might give Restoration magic a shot. It would tie in with the Histskin ability for health regeneration.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Argonian

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Argonian

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Argonian

http://elderscrollsonline.info/argonian

I did a lot of reading last night and it's funny, I was coming to the same conclusion with regards to Restoration. You're 100% right that I'm hesitant of Alteration. I feel like the Paralyze is the only thing of value in that school and I can do that with a potion because I plan to heavily dive into Alchemy for the first time. I've only ever dabbled before because it's fairly time consuming to really get good with ingredients. Plus, you can really break a character if you get too good with it. I was also thinking about what factions to join and I was considering having my character join the Dawnguard. I'm approaching Skyrim as my character really wanting to just help people and what better way to help than by fighting the vampire menace that is apparently threatening the land. All the other factions are either evil or chaotic neutral. I may even join the Companions then walk away when they want me to wolf out.

But, yeah, it makes sense to start with basic Restoration skills being a warrior and warriors need to be able to do frontline healing as well as tying in with the Histskin, especially if Argonians are apt Restoration users. I also read that they have powerful healers/shamans or something. So, I think it makes a lot of sense.

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Fourth_Era

Is the 4th era timeline I generally use.

Ah, thank you! That is more detailed than what I've been using.

I have been running around with my Argonian and after like, 4 rerolls because I couldn't get a look I wanted, I have been thoroughly enjoying playing as him. At one point, I leapt into the water and just hung out there for awhile. I switched to Leather Armor and the tail bothers me a little bit because it's coming out of a weird place, but I'm forcing myself to push through that because overall the tail is very cool.

I understand how some people can exclusively play Argonian, though. I have a feeling when all is said and done, Argonians will be up there with Nord and Orc for me as far as favorite races go.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
I also read that they have powerful healers/shamans or something.

Yeah, you don't want to mess with Argonian Shamans. There is a claim an Argonian Shaman caused a devastating plague that ravaged Tamriel.

So the Restoration poison runes can come into play for your Battle Chief. Alchemy would be useful, knowledge of poisons and toxins etc. Growing up in Black Marsh after all.

Mr Forz

I'm helping. Mostly.
Argonians are insane in Restoration, and it's normal to have an affinity with it seeing their racial skill.

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
I also read that they have powerful healers/shamans or something.

Yeah, you don't want to mess with Argonian Shamans. There is a claim an Argonian Shaman caused a devastating plague that ravaged Tamriel.

So the Restoration poison runes can come into play for your Battle Chief. Alchemy would be useful, knowledge of poisons and toxins etc. Growing up in Black Marsh after all.

The Knahaten Flu, right? Yeah, reading about that was what made me decide to go with Restoration. I didn't know there were poison runes for Restoration. That kind of excites me. I thought I was basically limited to the offensive spells that came out of Dawnguard and really only against the undead. That is really good to know.

So far I'm having trouble switching from dual-wielding to make a spell in my left hand. Any time I've tried to use magic for a character, I just make my off-hand always have a spell in it. But I'm getting used to it. Favorites list is my friend. It's still early, so all I really have is the basic healing spell. It was crucial, though, when I took on Fort Amol. Hitskin was not enough to stop the lightning wielding mages, surprisingly.

But alchemy has been key. I'm making a real effort to actually make useful poisons. Again, in Fort Amol, the magic resistance potions helped a lot.

I'm contemplating the idea of not doing smithing... but blacksmiths don't sell Dragonscale, do they? I know they sell glass and ebony, but I don't think they sell Dragon or, say, Daedric. I'm doing light armor, so Daedric isn't an issue, but I would like Dragonscale.

Nighthiker77

You can make Daedric at the atronach forge, but I'm pretty sure I've seen multiple pieces of dragonscale for sale down in the thieves guild smith's booth

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
An update for any and all who care.

I'm at level 15 and the character has completely taken on a life of its own. Somehow he's more of a Paladin build than anything. I'm calling it Battle Shaman at the moment. More often than not, he's got a Restoration spell in the off-hand and since acquiring Dawnbreaker... When I run out of magic, I pick up a second sword and I come out swinging hard with poison tipped blades. I have to fight the urges I'm getting, though. Enjoying Restoration so much makes me think I can try pulling off a pure mage. Start with conjuration, switch to restoration in one hand and destruction in the other. It really does sound plausible. And maybe one day this character could become a true Shaman or something. That would be really cool. I am also getting the itch to play my normal type of character... a hulking Nord or Orc who kicks ass and chews bubblegum, but is always out of gum.

But yeah, I'm enjoying the weird Paladin/Spellsword thing I've got going on. And Argonians are fun. I feel like I don't belong anywhere and people look at me weird. I enjoy deep swims in waters that I've never explored before, too. I've also grown pretty fond of the tail. I'm currently doing quests to become Thane of Morthal. While doing the Greybeard's Windcaller quest, he went to Morthal... Thought it reminded him of a crappy version of Black Marsh (or better, depending on perspective) and would like to call it home.

Kalin of High Rock

Faal Lun Vahdin
I think I'm an odd duck, because I've really been enjoying restoration on my current character (Heavy armor Dark elf cleric). I get a stout follower or two and I let them take point in battle while I follow behind with heals. When I see an enemy spell-caster take the field I'll try and jump in front of my followers with wards while they close in for melee combat.

It gets even more fun when you're in a situation where there's a big battle going on, and you're going from ally to ally laying hands and healing as they fight. I was at Raven Rock when half a dozen Ash Spawn were battling the Redoran Guard at the gates. Keeping my dark elven brothers in battle with the light of The Reclamation's blessings. Fun stuff.

I don't know, I really get into it. You develop a keen eye for when a friendly character "takes a knee" (is badly wounded), and you try to rush in and save a life! And when the undead rear their ugly heads you really get to shine. Throwing balls of pure explosive light charged with your necro-mage perk.

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
I think I'm an odd duck, because I've really been enjoying restoration on my current character (Heavy armor Dark elf cleric). I get a stout follower or two and I let them take point in battle while I follow behind with heals. When I see an enemy spell-caster take the field I'll try and jump in front of my followers with wards while they close in for melee combat.

It gets even more fun when you're in a situation where there's a big battle going on, and you're going from ally to ally laying hands and healing as they fight. I was at Raven Rock when half a dozen Ash Spawn were battling the Redoran Guard at the gates. Keeping my dark elven brothers in battle with the light of The Reclamation's blessings. Fun stuff.

I don't know, I really get into it. You develop a keen eye for when a friendly character "takes a knee" (is badly wounded), and you try to rush in and save a life! And when the undead rear their ugly heads you really get to shine. Throwing balls of pure explosive light charged with your necro-mage perk.

Ah, playing a supportive healer! I've healed my tank a few times when they've struggled with someone. I always want to smack Lydia when she goes, "A healing spell? Are you a priest?"

But playing the support character isn't something I do regularly. In MMORPGs and what have you, I usually play a tank. And if you read enough of my posts, you can probably tell I play that in Skyrim with my Nords and Orcs. But the healer is fun to play, too. I imagine that if I was in a big battle in Skyrim, I would switch to that role. Trying to keep NPCs alive and what have you. It sounds fun.

I'm surprised to hear a Dark Elf doing it, though. I imagine them being more the opposite, focusing on Destruction. I wonder what race, lore-wise, would make for the best healer/support character. Breton, perhaps? They're basically everything magic. Most likely Imperial. They get that +10 to Restoration from the get-go. I'm sure there's a Priest of Kynareth build somewhere. You could RP that you're Danica Pure-Spring's sister/brother/pupil that goes traveling about healing people and stuff. And of course, it seems like Argonian Shamans would be pretty apt at it.

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
My first Argonian Character, I am now level 49 with him and he is one of my favourites. Tiberius Black-Scales. Briefly, his background is that he was the son of a Shadowscale but had to flee his native home with his mother. He was an apprentice jeweler and later a smith, joined the Imperial legion is now retired and is an adventurer.

I love playing an Argonian. I love his resilience and waterbreathing abilities. He is mainly a melee fighter, duel wielding swords. He is curious about magic and will one day take a look at the College of Winterhold. He is proficient in alchemy and enchanting.

I liked reading about the history of Blackmarsh, especially its Shadowscale assassins.

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
My first Argonian Character, I am now level 49 with him and he is one of my favourites. Tiberius Black-Scales. Briefly, his background is that he was the son of a Shadowscale but had to flee his native home with his mother. He was an apprentice jeweler and later a smith, joined the Imperial legion is now retired and is an adventurer.

I love playing an Argonian. I love his resilience and waterbreathing abilities. He is mainly a melee fighter, duel wielding swords. He is curious about magic and will one day take a look at the College of Winterhold. He is proficient in alchemy and enchanting.

I liked reading about the history of Blackmarsh, especially its Shadowscale assassins.

I really like his name. And I totally agree with you, the Argonian history is really interesting. I've been trying to think of what their real world equivalent would be. Africa and the Amazon come to mind for how they land is impenetrable. More Amazon because of how they get a real Mayan feel to them. Hmm...

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows

I really like his name. And I totally agree with you, the Argonian history is really interesting. I've been trying to think of what their real world equivalent would be. Africa and the Amazon come to mind for how they land is impenetrable. More Amazon because of how they get a real Mayan feel to them. Hmm...

Thanks! I worked really hard on his looks and name. He is quite a handsome reptile :D
True, it would have to be dark and swampy to, like a bayou but with denser forested areas.. :)

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts