Spoiler Longest-suffering family in Skyrim?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
Morality in a general sense, perhaps, but not a moral code. The Dark Brotherhood itself was formed when former members of the Morag Tong defected to the Night Mother's guild because they disagreed with the assassination of the entire Imperial line that ended the Second Empire. The Morag Tong itself views assassination as much a matter of religion, duty and honor as it does as a business and even the Dark Brotherhood is governed by its Five Tenets.

In general you can find a recurring theme for many assassins in fiction being guided by a moral code and often becoming conflicted because of it. It's a common if somewhat predictable theme in films that have them as central characters.
I agree with all of this, but would add that because someone chose a generally considered Amoral path, like an Assassin, does not mean they are completely incapable of acting Morally. For one thing, your Morays are not necessarily their's, and though killing for money is pretty reprehensible in, and of itself, that doesn't prevent them from adopting their own Code beyond it. Not unlike the 5 tenants (Which get abandoned before the events of Skyrim) or only killing those for whom a Sacrament has been performed (In other words, just the target, and not everyone in your way, the vicinity, and who might have heard about it, hence all the sneaking around.)

For another example, the Thieves' Guild steals from people, and also follows another Daedric Prince of Darkness. However, they're also largely pacifists, except when it's glaringly obvious that killing is the shortest distance between regaining their luck, and not being destroyed from within by a traitor. Of course, this is partially motivated by pure Sociopathic Self Interest. "It's bad for business." However, even though they are not the good guys, they have standards, and enforce them within their ranks.

And finally, Even Evil has Standards. Just because I consort with Daedric Princes, raise the dead, and sacrifice people who trust me to the Ebony Blade to make it more powerful, doesn't necessarily mean I'm also a Child Molestor. "If you're so evil, eat this kitten." Okay? What's in it for me? There's all kinds of evil, and the self interested types generally don't do stuff Because it's evil, just as a means to their ends. There's also the types that do stuff purely 4 teh Evuls, but they generally don't do anything Good, because of their dedication. In short, even THEY have standards.

I actually associate Amorality more with Chaos, than Evil. Evil is reverse morality, at least the Neutral Evil of doing stuff Because it's evil. The type that's incapable of helping a little old lady across the street, even if they can profit from it. They're still constrained by their standards, their Moral Compass, but it's pointed the other way (South, or Down) I guess Anti-moral would be a more appropriate term.

Then, you've got what a lot of people seem to consider Evil, to judge from the "Most evil thing you've done" thread, which is the Axe Crazy Maniac. By societies' rules, this is Evil, because it's society's role to protect it's people from Axe Crazy Maniacs. Crazy being the operative term, though, they may think that People are evil, and have to be cleansed to make the world safe for nature, or just "RAAAGH Agybdygogophyladiboq!" What does that even mean? IDK, he's funking Crazy! (Yes, I can actually spell Tasmanian Devil.)

It's like a dog. We've used their Pack mentality to train them, somewhat, but throw a stick, or tennis ball. Even if they don't know Fetch yet, they see something moving, and the reflexive instinct is "Chaseitcatchitkilliteatit!i!" even if they know it's a stick or the same half chewed slobber soaked synthetic fuzzy ball they just caught seconds ago. This is why they play along, it exercises these hunter instincts that go largely unused fenced in, and eating gravy train all day.

Then you have the Nihilist Knight. "Kill, Kill, Kill!" But it's a good guy, "Kill it." But it's a bad guy, "Kill it." But it's your follower, "Kill it." But it's the quest NPC you can't technically kill until you lead him back to Molag Bal's shrine so you can kill them. Pant pant pnat, hurry up, fast travel, run through the base ment, skip past the dialog cumoncumoncumoncumon Kill KillKILLKILKILKIL!!!! Huh huh huh. Who can I kill next?

Chaos. Death, destruction, and nothing else. No other ends, goals, motives, nor morality. Maybe Smithing, and enchanting to make you kill better, but NPCs exist for the one, and only purpose of dying, being killed by me. Stop talking, shut up and eat my greatsword. Yeah, it's evil, but it's CHAOTIC/evil.

Even if some characters aren't meant to be dead in any quest some characters comment on the loss of their loved ones like its a terrible tragedy instead of not mentioning they are gone. For example when I first became a Werewolf through the Companions for the first time I shredded up and ate Amren's wife because she attacked me now Amren curses at me whenever he sees me and he talks about how he misses his wife he even sent hired thugs after me for revenge as I read the note after I killed them.

Gowsh

Old Fart
DB SPOILERS:

was i the only person who really liked the emperor when i first met him? he was so calm and seemed like a nice guy, i was sorry to kill him, but it was an awesome kill, decapitated him.

but i was happy to kill motierre

I (me, not my char. Well, him, too) had an actual twang of conscience and got a little choked up during and after killing the Emperor. For me, that was pretty much the high point of the game experience. Here I come, like Tom Cruise in M.I. and the Emperor stops me with a word. Great stuff!

While I wished to kill the man who'd ordered the hit, business is business. If we of the DB go around whacking the people who employ us, we're damning the organization. If this bothers you, try the Morag Tong. :cool:

I (me, not my char. Well, him, too) had an actual twang of conscience and got a little choked up during and after killing the Emperor. For me, that was pretty much the high point of the game experience. Here I come, like Tom Cruise in M.I. and the Emperor stops me with a word. Great stuff!

While I wished to kill the man who'd ordered the hit, business is business. If we of the DB go around whacking the people who employ us, we're damning the organization. If this bothers you, try the Morag Tong. :cool:
He's a traitor, he deserves nothing more. The Emperor accepted his fate with grace, and dignity, I can respect that. Just that was enough to make it quick, and painless, not to mention honor his last wish.

Skulli

Is that fur coming out of your ears?
I just love killing people....

Muart

Fus.. RO DAH!

Nocte Aeterna

Sir Not-Appearing-in-This-Film
Olfrid is a bit full of himself. He'd hush as soon as he met the Shatter-Shields.

wrighty

Thalmor 3rd Emissary
Personally I've never felt sorry for the shatter shields. What happened with friga was terrible but bad things can happen when your just somewhere at the wrong time (I'm speaking from experience after being stabbed and nearly dieing myself).
The family have lived a priveleged and excessive lifestyle, benefiting from the exploitation of argonian dock workers. Whether that is all Torbjorns fault or not is a matter for debate however the whole family have benefited from the proceeds by leading a lavish lifestyle, ignorance is bliss.
After the death of Friga they cast aside a dear family friend who was as much a victim as them, love is blind after all.
The Dark Brotherhood has always been my favourite guild as such I had no problem killing Nilsine, when a contract is issued there is no right or wrong, you kill the target and you get paid, no one stands in the way.
Killing a contact after the assassination makes absolutely no sense to me, if you were that morally inclined then you wouldn't be taking their coin in the first place.

Gowsh

Old Fart
Very nice post, Wrighty.

While I categorically agree with your analysis, I still couldn't help feel a little twinge. Didn't stop me, mind you. ;)

You're also right on target with the contract on the Emperor. Rule 1 of customer service is not to kill them. o_O

feliciano182

Muiri didn't have you do anything. It's not part of her contract and you could have told her to go f***f herself which is what I did. It's obvious that she's a narcissistic delusional nut job and I wasn't going to inflict that kind of sadistic misery on the Shatter-Shield family after what they had already gone through.

*Dagmar plays Skyrim*

Dagmar: What ? Who does this b**** think she is ?

*Changes game-code with alteration magic........in the off-hand*

Muiri: Go f*** myself ? What does that even mean ?!

wrighty

Thalmor 3rd Emissary
I think 1 of the families that suffered most and perhaps 1 of the saddest stories was the family of frostflow lighthouse. They saved up for many years to buy their dream home and it didn't exactly turn out well for them, they probably had some of the worst deaths possible.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts