Labyrinthian Great For Practice

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
Hey all, just thought I would share a fun way I found for newer players (like myself) to have some fun while getting in some good practice for a lot of combat and magic skills. I haven't seen anyone mention this as an alternative to other leveling/practice methods but I think it would be a good way for newer players to not only level some crucial skills, but get some awesome practice in. And it's fun!

I've found that the ruins before you enter Labyrinthia are perfect for practicing combat. The grounds are awesome with all kinds of levels and steps and ramps and such, even tons of places to hide if a dragon happens to fly by. I just fast travel to the ruins, walk around and gather up the three trolls that are lingering around. The trolls are the only thing around and there are plenty of rocks and other things available to hop on for hea/stam/mana recharge. The trolls are slow and extremely hardy (making them great targets for ice spikes and such) and they will heal while you recoup and be ready to go once you are ready to start tangling with them again. Random dragon encounters aren't generally a problem since the three trolls will happily switch gears to the dragon. Just suit up heavy and save often. Oh... and don't get surrounded. :)

Anyway, I found it was a great way to get practice and skills up without burning up quest lines. Hope it helps.

Joker

Cook, Wine Taster, Scotch Taster, Adventure Seeker
Hey all, just thought I would share a fun way I found for newer players (like myself) to have some fun while getting in some good practice for a lot of combat and magic skills. I haven't seen anyone mention this as an alternative to other leveling/practice methods but I think it would be a good way for newer players to not only level some crucial skills, but get some awesome practice in. And it's fun!

I've found that the ruins before you enter Labyrinthia are perfect for practicing combat. The grounds are awesome with all kinds of levels and steps and ramps and such, even tons of places to hide if a dragon happens to fly by. I just fast travel to the ruins, walk around and gather up the three trolls that are lingering around. The trolls are the only thing around and there are plenty of rocks and other things available to hop on for hea/stam/mana recharge. The trolls are slow and extremely hardy (making them great targets for ice spikes and such) and they will heal while you recoup and be ready to go once you are ready to start tangling with them again. Random dragon encounters aren't generally a problem since the three trolls will happily switch gears to the dragon. Just suit up heavy and save often. Oh... and don't get surrounded. :)

Anyway, I found it was a great way to get practice and skills up without burning up quest lines. Hope it helps.

Great idea, thanks for sharing. Better than grinding or paying for training.

LotusEater

Great idea, thanks for sharing. Better than grinding or paying for training.

It's better for me. I hate grinding and will generally refuse unless I can find some thread of realism in it. A bored wizard heading to toy with trolls at an ancient ruin doesn't seem too far out of the realm. :)

WillnRoll

For early levels, it could be suicidal to go there in my opinion, I went there when I was like level 8 or something, I was stuck in a combat with (2) Trolls, I had to load the save when I was in Whiterun.

Reaper87

吉光
Yes, you could be like ninjas, leaping from stone to stone, whilst the trolls aimlessly chase you. (Just like my experience on other internet forums - not this one though :p)

LotusEater

For early levels, it could be suicidal to go there in my opinion, I went there when I was like level 8 or something, I was stuck in a combat with (2) Trolls, I had to load the save when I was in Whiterun.

I dunno. I don't seem to have trouble outrunning a troll in open areas at any level. They're pretty stupid. Half the time they have their back to you jumping around like morons. Just gotta avoid getting cornered. But no, I wouldn't leave the cave from Helgen and go directly to Labyrinthia at Lv 1. Agreed.

WillnRoll

I dunno. I don't seem to have trouble outrunning a troll in open areas at any level. They're pretty stupid. Half the time they have their back to you jumping around like morons. Just gotta avoid getting cornered. But no, I wouldn't leave the cave from Helgen and go directly to Labyrinthia at Lv 1. Agreed.

You have to note that at a very early level your resources, weapons and armors are limited, and your Magika is weak, you're going to have to be very stealthy and use tactics in order not to be killed by a Snow Trolls, when I was there, I was attacked by (2) Snow Trolls at the same time, two hits and I am dead :), especially considering that I am playing on Master Difficulty.

LotusEater

You have to note that at a very early level your resources, weapons and armors are limited, and your Magika is weak, you're going to have to be very stealthy and use tactics in order not to be killed by a Snow Trolls, when I was there, I was attacked by (2) Snow Trolls at the same time, two hits and I am dead :), especially considering that I am playing on Master Difficulty.

Again, evading any animal, be it bear, troll, sabre tooth... all of them are clueless the minute you jump onto the tiniest rock most times. It's really just a simple matter of heading up half a flight of steps and walking over onto a rock at Labyrinthia. You'll be regenerating magicka and the trolls will be upset.

The point of this thread is to offer an option to grinding... or at least grinding in another form. It's great practice navigating all the levels and evading the trolls at any level. I would never recommend a lower level player going there unless they were prepared. Like any other form of practice. Personally, I don't even go there unless I'm set on Legendary. It's the best way to keep them alive when you're practicing your spells.

WillnRoll

Again, evading any animal, be it bear, troll, sabre tooth... all of them are clueless the minute you jump onto the tiniest rock most times. It's really just a simple matter of heading up half a flight of steps and walking over onto a rock at Labyrinthia. You'll be regenerating magicka and the trolls will be upset.

The point of this thread is to offer an option to grinding... or at least grinding in another form. It's great practice navigating all the levels and evading the trolls at any level. I would never recommend a lower level player going there unless they were prepared. Like any other form of practice. Personally, I don't even go there unless I'm set on Legendary. It's the best way to keep them alive when you're practicing your spells.

Well, that means I have to practice more then :)

Lady Imp

Rabid Wolverine
Those frost trolls can be pretty nasty if you don't know what you're up against. While I don't disagree that it's a decent way to work on leveling some of those stealth skills, I would highly recommend proceeding with caution. Save before you start, and save on separate files often. Sneak everywhere. And for the Gods' sake do NOT try to kill a troll with a melee weapon. Lotus, you're awfully lucky, I accidentally wandered into Labyrinthian early on my first playthough and was completely unable to evade the trolls - they followed me EVERYWHERE, and they killed me awfully quick. A stealth character with a few perks under their belt may be able to make it out alive, but if you're playing more of a warrior character, I would highly recommend waiting until you're leveled a little higher with some better gear before approaching Labyrinthian.

LotusEater

Those frost trolls can be pretty nasty if you don't know what you're up against. While I don't disagree that it's a decent way to work on leveling some of those stealth skills, I would highly recommend proceeding with caution. Save before you start, and save on separate files often. Sneak everywhere. And for the Gods' sake do NOT try to kill a troll with a melee weapon. Lotus, you're awfully lucky, I accidentally wandered into Labyrinthian early on my first playthough and was completely unable to evade the trolls - they followed me EVERYWHERE, and they killed me awfully quick. A stealth character with a few perks under their belt may be able to make it out alive, but if you're playing more of a warrior character, I would highly recommend waiting until you're leveled a little higher with some better gear before approaching Labyrinthian.

I thought I made it pretty clear that it was dangerous business and shouldn't be taken lightly in my OP. Apparently not though so I apologize. If I've somehow implied that everyone should head to Labyrintha and allow themselves to get mauled by trolls then I digress. Practice however you see fit.

And no, I'm not awfully lucky. I practice and observe my surroundings best I can. If I've somehow led people to believe that I've never gotten myself cornered at Labyrintha, it wasn't intended. You guys keep implying that I condone lower level players going there when I've never implied such a thing in any post. Go there, don't go there... whatever. It's your gaming experience. I was just sharing an option. But if you guys want to use this thread for your own agendas and freak people out, then I'll happily bow out and let you guys have at it.

Me said:
Just suit up heavy and save often. Oh... and don't get surrounded.

I guess this part of my post got lost in translation somehow.

Lady Imp

Rabid Wolverine
I thought I made it pretty clear that it was dangerous business and shouldn't be taken lightly in my OP. Apparently not though so I apologize. If I've somehow implied that everyone should head to Labyrintha and allow themselves to get mauled by trolls then I digress. Practice however you see fit.

And no, I'm not awfully lucky. I practice and observe my surroundings best I can. If I've somehow led people to believe that I've never gotten myself cornered at Labyrintha, it wasn't intended. You guys keep implying that I condone lower level players going there when I've never implied such a thing in any post. Go there, don't go there... whatever. It's your gaming experience. I was just sharing an option. But if you guys want to use this thread for your own agendas and freak people out, then I'll happily bow out and let you guys have at it.

I guess this part of my post got lost in translation somehow.

How's about we simply agree to disagree. ;)

LotusEater

How's about we simply agree to disagree. ;)

Sure... and what exactly are we disagreeing on again? Sorry, just want to be clear. If you don't agree that area is a good place for practice, would like to offer an alternative option to that option?

Lady Imp

Rabid Wolverine
Sure... and what exactly are we disagreeing on again? Sorry, just want to be clear. If you don't agree that area is a good place for practice, would like to offer an alternative option to that option?

TBH that all depends on the type of character you're playing. A stealth character may benefit from sneaking around Labyrinthian, shooting trolls with poisoned arrows. Those suckers will regen their health and have a TON of health to begin with....but the issue is, they also have a TON of stamina and can one-hit kill a character who gets too close and isn't equipped or perked to handle it. I figure you're talking about a low-level character here, and quite frankly, a low-level one will have a difficult time handling the foes - especially if the player favours a close-combat playstyle. Such a warrior character would more likely benefit from going up against something a little lower difficulty, due to the close-combat nature of the character. Bandit camps are usually good for these, bandits level with you (unlike frost trolls, which start out at lvl 22), and at a low level most will die in 5-10 hits depending on your weapon and how you're perked. None of them will really hand you too terribly much damage, either, and the bonus is there are PLENTY to go around. Mages can also benefit, as combat allows for use of both destruction and conjuration skills.

I think, since the latest patch, this is a perfect way to get majority of your skills leveled. If you are uncomfortable going in there at a higher difficulty setting, save well away from the area, set your difficulty to novice, go there, find a suitable place for you to level whatever skill you want (that is not melee!) and up the difficulty to what you are comfortable with! I'm about to try this out for myself.

And if it really worries you about the number of trolls, kill one or two of them before upping the difficulty!

LotusEater

TBH that all depends on the type of character you're playing. A stealth character may benefit from sneaking around Labyrinthian, shooting trolls with poisoned arrows. Those suckers will regen their health and have a TON of health to begin with....but the issue is, they also have a TON of stamina and can one-hit kill a character who gets too close and isn't equipped or perked to handle it. I figure you're talking about a low-level character here, and quite frankly, a low-level one will have a difficult time handling the foes - especially if the player favours a close-combat playstyle. Such a warrior character would more likely benefit from going up against something a little lower difficulty, due to the close-combat nature of the character. Bandit camps are usually good for these, bandits level with you (unlike frost trolls, which start out at lvl 22), and at a low level most will die in 5-10 hits depending on your weapon and how you're perked. None of them will really hand you too terribly much damage, either, and the bonus is there are PLENTY to go around. Mages can also benefit, as combat allows for use of both destruction and conjuration skills.

You're making this way too complicated. No offense. I'm not suggesting anyone work this into their roleplaying agenda. Just something fun to do when your bored. And it's productive.

LotusEater

I think, since the latest patch, this is a perfect way to get majority of your skills leveled. If you are uncomfortable going in there at a higher difficulty setting, save well away from the area, set your difficulty to novice, go there, find a suitable place for you to level whatever skill you want (that is not melee!) and up the difficulty to what you are comfortable with! I'm about to try this out for myself.

And if it really worries you about the number of trolls, kill one or two of them before upping the difficulty!

This. It's just good clean fun. Don't have to worry about being jumped by bears or bandits or crazy wood elves. And you can get some well rounded training out it. It's a really good place to practice Runes btw, if you use destruction magic. I wouldn't dangle too close until you perk them for distance though. I'm glad it's working for you.

LotusEater

Coincidentally, Labyrinthian is also a good place for unintentional character suicide.

As is most of Skyrim...

I'd say mountain walking leads to more unintentional suicides.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts