Just Screwed Myself Royally.

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
I just realized a bit of small irony here...

When I left Warcraft for good to play Skyrim a couple months ago, after 7 years, I left behind 10 characters I'd spent years on.

I had earlier abandoned another long lived character on Asheron's call. The one I just lost here makes 12 gone for good.

Kinda funny, don'tcha think, the character I have left is based on the 13th Warrior Nord, a Beowulf archetype.

And it's my 13th and final character, the one that closest resembles who I was in real life when I fought in the old SCA in a Viking clan.

Hmmm....

Lo there do I see my father, Lo there do I see my mother, my Sisters and my brothers , Lo there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning. Lo, they do call me, they bid me take my place among them, in the halls of Valhalla, where the brave may live forever.

You were a Viking also? :O Me too.

Though now I'm just descended from the Norse Jarls of Orkney, I miss the days of battle.

Skulli

Is that fur coming out of your ears?
Lo there do I see my father, Lo there do I see my mother, my Sisters and my brothers , Lo there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning. Lo, they do call me, they bid me take my place among them, in the halls of Valhalla, where the brave may live forever.

You were a Viking also? :O Me too.

Though now I'm just descended from the Norse Jarls of Orkney, I miss the days of battle.

Well met Kinsman!

I fought in Pensic 24,25,26 before breaking my back in a prison riot (as an officer, not a felon, lol). I too miss the wars.

Sons of Mjollnir rise up!

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Well met Kinsman!

I fought in Pensic 24,25,26 before breaking my back in a prison riot (as an officer, not a felon, lol). I too miss the wars.

Sons of Mjollnir rise up!

Haha it is rather funny because I am actually descended from Norse Jarls. No peasant blood in these veins.

Skulli

Is that fur coming out of your ears?
Half Scot, half German, two angry bastards who can't cook anything not packed in sheep intestine, and love good beer!

Benthos

Proud Mer
Maybe, just maybe it was time to start a new. I lost everything on my last profile, that's 3 solid characters I put my heart and soul into just to find out they no longer exist alongside my Sony profile. I don't know how many hours I put into each or the grand total but I will say they each were around level 30-35ish.

Now on my current profile, my main guy is the highest I ever got. I will say I almost saw the same thing you experienced where I started a new file and because of the fact I saved over the Prisoner file they give you, the new file saved over the last save I made on my main guy. LUCKILY, auto save had my back but it was too close for comfort and I learned from that as well

You will be peeved to go through the same things but you will have top priority again PLUS you can figure out a new race to work with. That normally cheers me up over time, to check out the major differences between my new and my last characters. Both main were Argonian, last profile my secondary was a Khajit but this one is an Orc, third character in the last profile was a High Elf while this profile's third is an Imperial.

When they say Imperials find more than others, they usually find more than just gold. I have found jewelry and gemstones in places I normally never find anything worthwhile. In Bleakfalls Barrow, I found several necklaces, circlets, rings, and gemstones when normally at BEST I might find one of any of them with the others. In not even half the time I was already a citizen with a house and married compared to all of my other characters.

Juracan

Dirty deeds done dirt cheap
Ouch, I feel your pain.

Like some of the above, I'm obsessive about creating all sorts of back-ups to protect against something like this. But that's from the painful experience of losing hours of work in one errant keystroke.

Once bitten twice shy, unless you're into that sort of thing....

Soloquendi

Pastor of Muppets
I learned a long time ago to back up my data. Currently I run a RAID 0 setup with an external HD as a mirror. Basically, I have a complete copy of my HD.

It still doesn't keep me from screwing myself over though. I did the same thing as you a couple of months ago. :sadface:

Saozig

Hippy
One of my gripes with Skyrim is that they didn't create a better way to save games with multiple characters. I'm on Xbox, so I don't know how it works with PS3 or PC, but how the save in set up in Xbox, it's not user-friendly, doesn't allow for quick ID of which files belong to which character from the main list of saved games, and appears designed with the idea that you would be playing only one character. I've gotten myself into the habit for very carefully deleting/rewriting older saved files, and when in a hurry I just make a new save. I've created 10 characters so far, but 2 have been accidentally deleted for good, and while I wasn't planning on returning to them, I would have like to have kept one saved game of them just in case.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts