Join or destroy the Dark Brotherhood?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Note: I'm just asking what you did and why. I'm hoping to find some reasons other than 'more money,' maybe some that have a basis in Roleplay.

Anyway, my main character, Adarile, is a High Elf who formerly served the Thalmor. He was set to be executed for setting a prisoner he felt sympathetic for free, but he fled to Skyrim. His family live at Frostpeak, (a fictional village I created) which is in Skyrim, in the Reach.

He knows that he has racked up a fair amount of enemies, especially in the Thalmor and with the Forsworn. He wants to protect his family, and has been fearful of them being killed by the Dark Brotherhood for a while. Once he is confronted with the opportunity to destroy them, he does so, but only because he knows it's what needs to be done to protect those he cares about.

What about you?

Note: I'm just asking what you did and why. I'm hoping to find some reasons other than 'more money,' maybe some that have a basis in Roleplay.

Anyway, my main character, Adarile, is a High Elf who formerly served the Thalmor. He was set to be executed for setting a prisoner he felt sympathetic for free, but he fled to Skyrim. His family live at Frostpeak, (a fictional village I created) which is in Skyrim, in the Reach.

He knows that he has racked up a fair amount of enemies, especially in the Thalmor and with the Forsworn. He wants to protect his family, and has been fearful of them being killed by the Dark Brotherhood for a while. Once he is confronted with the opportunity to destroy them, he does so, but only because he knows it's what needs to be done to protect those he cares about.

What about you?
served the Thalmor
GTFO.png
fluffin Thalmor spies...

Seriously, I love the Brotherhood questline. It's fun and has a really good story. As much as I am pissed off at Astrid for
betraying me and the family,
I still hate killing her for the stupid Pentius Oculatus dickheads.

My first character was Violetta Valtieri, a descendant of Vicente Valtieri from Oblivion. She discovers her ties to the Dark Brotherhood when she stumbles upon some of her late grandfather's (who was also an assassin) possessions. She travels to Skyrim after learning that the last traces of the Dark Brotherhood were rumored to have been there. Initially stumbling into the Dark Brotherhood, she is wary of it at first and unsure of how best to proceed. After hearing the Night Mother, however, she realizes that this is her purpose, her family's legacy and leads the DB back to prominence.

J

Jeremius

I destroy most of the time, unless I build a character with joining them in mind.

Wildroses

So far I've only created two characters who started those questlines. My first hated killing people and would refuse to do so unless necessary, but she made an exception for Grelod because she liked children. When she woke up in that shack and talked to the three prisoners, she decided she didn't want to kill the mercenary because he was so frightened and she didn't want to kill the cat because she kind of admired his bravery and wit under the conditions. Part of her did want to kill the bitchy goodwife, but the mention of six children and no husband made her worry about what would happen to those six children if their mother was killed. So from her perspective, killing Astrid was her only choice. When Maro asked her to kill them all she agreed, partly because ridding the world of assassins seemed a killing you could term necessary, and partly because she worried about the possibility of reprisal attacks in vengence for Astrid. Finally, Astrid REALLY got on her nerves with that seductive tone and inneundo about 'watching and admiring'.

For my second who I created to join them, she figured out pretty rapidly from all the immense effort Astrid had gone to setting up this situation without actually harming her that she was experiencing a recruitment pitch and initiation ceremony in one efficient package. Joining an organisation of professional assassins intrigued her enough to pick a victim (The goodwife. Oh how I hate that woman). She was also aware how selective the Dark Brotherhood is and was kind of flattered.

FullmetalHeart20

It appears you can get the Marked for Death shout, Brotherhood armor, and you can see the story online. Why on earth would you help a group of assassins?

It appears you can get the Marked for Death shout, Brotherhood armor, and you can see the story online. Why on earth would you help a group of assassins?

Well...for one, the "mystery" and clandestine nature of the Brotherhood make it cooler (to me, anyway) than say...The Companions. The assassin's are secretive, have neat armor, and while less so than in Oblivion, are also some of the nicer people you'll meet.

Secondly, death is a reality of the world. You can't say its ok to run around slaying bandit groups, but not ok to be an assassin. What if one of those bandits is a man down on his luck who just needs to make enough gold to pay off his debts and feed his family? Is killing him while running through the forest in some way morally superior to killing by contract? Most of the Dark Brotherhood's contracts are bad people anyway, people who deserve to die. The Dark Brotherhood is merely the instrument that fate has chosen to deal with these people.

Morals, you see, are dictated by humans, not actual fact. For example (MINOR SPOILER) Grelod the Kind is your first "assassination"...and she's a terrible, cruel head mistress at an orphanage, who constantly abuses and belittles the kids at the orphanage. She even has shackles in her closet for chaining the kids up! Her death...which leads to Constance Michel taking over the hall (A very nice lady who cares greatly for the kids)...is not only necessary, but just. She was evil. The Dark Brotherhood eradicated that evil. In that way, we're doing humanitarian work.

Anyway, my point is that you shouldn't blindly see them as "evil assassins" as that's not at all the case. In fact, one could make the argument that Maro, the Pentius Oculatus commander, is the actual evil, as he's here in Skyrim trying to enforce a political system on groups of people who clearly don't want it, and is only doing so because his own group failed to stop the Aldmeri takeover (and they tried...THEY were rebels then, and now condemn the Stormcloak rebels?)

Plus, the storyline for doing the Dark Brotherhood is more interesting and fun than destroying it (I've done both).

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.
Well, opinions aside, you make a LOT more money if you join them, you get their armor with is helpful for a thief, and you get several weapons (as far as I know) that you can't get otherwise.

Also, the Dark Brotherhood questline is incredibly fun. The wedding quest was great.

samgurl775

Cerberus Officer
I've joined them every time. Anyone that hasn't joined them at least once is missing out on the best guild storyline in the game.

Tilse

Spellsword
My main character Tilse joined them, though honestly I'm pretty did/am doing any quest I feel like with that character.
I am going to have my second character, Aumsi, join them, because I consider her more rash, and she likes to fight for really any reason.
I don't know if I could bring myself to destroy them because I just find those quests to be too fun.
Also, not to mention...
Because of Astrid's betrayal, most of the the brotherhood dies except for 2 people anyway.

FullmetalHeart20

Well...for one, the "mystery" and clandestine nature of the Brotherhood make it cooler (to me, anyway) than say...The Companions. The assassin's are secretive, have neat armor, and while less so than in Oblivion, are also some of the nicer people you'll meet.

Secondly, death is a reality of the world. You can't say its ok to run around slaying bandit groups, but not ok to be an assassin. What if one of those bandits is a man down on his luck who just needs to make enough gold to pay off his debts and feed his family? Is killing him while running through the forest in some way morally superior to killing by contract? Most of the Dark Brotherhood's contracts are bad people anyway, people who deserve to die. The Dark Brotherhood is merely the instrument that fate has chosen to deal with these people.

Morals, you see, are dictated by humans, not actual fact. For example (MINOR SPOILER) Grelod the Kind is your first "assassination"...and she's a terrible, cruel head mistress at an orphanage, who constantly abuses and belittles the kids at the orphanage. She even has shackles in her closet for chaining the kids up! Her death...which leads to Constance Michel taking over the hall (A very nice lady who cares greatly for the kids)...is not only necessary, but just. She was evil. The Dark Brotherhood eradicated that evil. In that way, we're doing humanitarian work.

Anyway, my point is that you shouldn't blindly see them as "evil assassins" as that's not at all the case. In fact, one could make the argument that Maro, the Pentius Oculatus commander, is the actual evil, as he's here in Skyrim trying to enforce a political system on groups of people who clearly don't want it, and is only doing so because his own group failed to stop the Aldmeri takeover (and they tried...THEY were rebels then, and now condemn the Stormcloak rebels?)

Plus, the storyline for doing the Dark Brotherhood is more interesting and fun than destroying it (I've done both).
That's all well and good, but they'll kill anyone for enough money. Also, it's hard to ignore some of their more sadistic traits. The test Astrid gives you? For all we know none of those people had a contract on them, and it was some sadistic test. Gold is easy to come by, and I'm not comfortable killing for others because they feel wronged somehow.

I've joined them every time. Anyone that hasn't joined them at least once is missing out on the best guild storyline in the game.
Same here. Never much like Maro anyways. Besides, I'm not much of a roleplayer and I'm a completionist, so I don't like missing out on things. However, the first time I played Skyrim and ended up in the shack, I did outright attack Astrid for plopss and giggles. I decided to reload, because I remember what happened in Oblivion: if you kill the one who invites you to join, you won't be able to join their guild.

Off topic, but I have a question: What happens to Vittoria if you decide to destroy the DB? Does she still wander around Solitude talking about planning her wedding?

The DB armor is the most underdone armor in that game IMO. Its a skin tight leather suit thats all red and black and is tight in all the wrong places. My Dark Elf looked to stupid in it, I just used my glass armor the majority of the quest line.

They could have done something else with it, put a dagger sheath or a utility belt of something, but they instead chose to go for a jumpsuit covered in chain thingys.
/rantstop

The DB armor is the most underdone armor in that game IMO. Its a skin tight leather suit thats all red and black and is tight in all the wrong places. My Dark Elf looked to stupid in it, I just used my glass armor the majority of the quest line.

They could have done something else with it, put a dagger sheath or a utility belt of something, but they instead chose to go for a jumpsuit covered in chain thingys.
/rantstop
The DB armor covers the face for females, but on males, of course, it looks awkward (if you're wearing the cowl). I think the female initiate looks good in it, like a red and black ninja or something. Looks good with the Ebony Blade too.

That's all well and good, but they'll kill anyone for enough money. Also, it's hard to ignore some of their more sadistic traits. The test Astrid gives you? For all we know none of those people had a contract on them, and it was some sadistic test. Gold is easy to come by, and I'm not comfortable killing for others because they feel wronged somehow.

True enough, I'll grant you that. I guess it really comes down to the character archetype. Would they join the guild or not? I have played paladin-style characters who shun DB and Thieves Guild, but generally I find a way to work them in.

I also like being the "boss" of as many factions as possible in these games, so that could play a factor for me as well lol :D

As for the DB armor...I personally liked Oblivion's DB armor better, and usually use either the Guild Master armor from the Thieves, or the Nightingale armor.

Thorn

In the Hist we trust
True enough, I'll grant you that. I guess it really comes down to the character archetype. Would they join the guild or not? I have played paladin-style characters who shun DB and Thieves Guild, but generally I find a way to work them in.

I also like being the "boss" of as many factions as possible in these games, so that could play a factor for me as well lol :D

As for the DB armor...I personally liked Oblivion's DB armor better, and usually use either the Guild Master armor from the Thieves, or the Nightingale armor.
Agreed...Oblivion's armor gets my vote for sure

But on topic, I've done both options regarding the Brotherhood, but joining is better than destroying for me. I wish I could dismantle the Thieve's Guild with some of my characters, but I know thats not plausible because of the Main Quest and all

PrisonerLizzie

They are a group of contract killers what kind of test would you suggest she put you through? Go see how many bunnies you can force hug in 10 min?

FullmetalHeart20

They are a group of contract killers what kind of test would you suggest she put you through? Go see how many bunnies you can force hug in 10 min?
That's just it. They're evil, you don't really need all the gold they give you, and you still get the shout, blade of woe, and their armor. To me, all that says kill.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts