Isnt Talos like Jesus and Christianity and the Thalmor like radical Islam?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jader

The Mystic Marksman
I'm half surprised this thread hasn't been locked yet.*smells the potential bible-humper butthurt*

Black Orchid

Death Incarnate
I'm half surprised this thread hasn't been locked yet.*smells the potential bible-humper butthurt*

Just add water and any of these three words: Religion/War/Hate
-and voilà, instant never-ending Troll thread!

:rolleyes:

Dradin

Tribunal Temple Acolyte
It's time to abandon ship. I watched this thread and even posted a bit but there's no need to shove your opinion down our collective throats and expect complacency (Looking at you Dagmar).

And... Unwatch...

NENALATA

Last King of the Ayleids - RETIRED
Mookie

Dear God. Lets just say that if the Turks cuddled with them for 500 years they would wear out, nevermind all those things.

All you mentioned is clasical Balkan anti-turkish mentality.
During its time period, the Ottomans were the most tolerant country in the world.
They not only rebuilt the patriarchates of orthodox church but also gave monetary suport, all that in the time when non-christians were burned at the stake in Europe.
Now, goodbye

Hmmm... So lemme see... The Ottoman's extracted HEAVY TAXES and TRIBUTE OF CHILDREN from the Greeks, Economic activity in the Region of Greece and surrounding isles DECLINED, population(s) DECLINED, travel/trade DECLINED because only Muslims could ride a horse, Greek communities became very isolated, Greek culture and education DECLINED... The Orthodox Church was left in name only with limited authority so the Turks could keep in PC with Islam.

As for the question, "Where in the Bible does it say that Jesus is God..." Here you are:

http://www.bugman123.com/Bible/JesusIsGod.html

Take your pick.

This one looks pretty good:

John 10:30-33 - Jesus answered them, “I and My Father are one.” Then the Jews took up stones again to stone Him. Jesus answered them, “Many good works I have shown you from My Father. For which of those works do you stone Me?” The Jews answered Him, saying, “For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy, and because You, being a Man, make Yourself God.”

lolz "GOODBYYYEEEE"

Jader

I dunno. This so far, is pretty good discussion we're having here. How it should be, always. But I know what you mean and before this is over, they may have to lock it down. I really don't care, I respect all of you and welcome your opinion(s)/beliefs so long as we can keep some manner of mutual respect. It's true some Christians have done bad things and are intolerant ~ However, some non-Christians are just as bad IF NOT WORSE.

Jader

The Mystic Marksman
The zealotry of every religion is what makes it bad.I like being without religion, it makes me neutral and allows me to laugh at the blind,sheep-like devotion some people have.

Personally I'm tolerant of all recognized religions/faiths but it's when the sheep try to judge others that I have a problem with.

If someone wants to be a sheep,great,just keep it to yourself.

UnfaithfulServant

Silence, my brother...
No,

Talos was not crucified as Jesus was. Jesus was a pacifist as aforementioned. Talos was not.

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
Page 3...

Drunk-Black-Marker-Face.jpg

NENALATA

@Mr Self Destruct

travel/trade DECLINED because only Muslims could ride a horse

http://www.historyofjihad.org/greece.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottoman_Greece

http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Ottoman_Greece

About Horseback riding in the Medieval period:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horses_in_the_Middle_Ages

UPDATE:

So not being able to ride atop horses also hurt Greece's agriculture too. Forgot that one. And I never liked Benjamin Cisco. Liked Worf though. Cisco was barely able to hang on to his command at DS9, I'm surprised he made it thru the Dominion war... Let alone be the *struggles to breath* "Emissary". roflmao

@LotusEat

I'd pray for you but it would be a waste of time and energy.

NENALATA

Jader

what about freedom of speech, granted this isn't yours or my message board, but what of it? So if a Christian or someone "with beliefs" chooses or accidentally maybe prays in public or is adjusting a cross or Jewish Star or a Talos amulet and you should see it... what is a fitting punishment for the infraction? Cause they didn't keep it to themselves, of course...

This sounds funny coming from someone who fought for the Empire!!! :) I didn't fight for the Empire of Mede however :rolleyes: (Also fought for the Stormcloaks and Dominion which makes this whole thing that much more bizarre)

So anyways, let's say I failed in "keeping it to myself" what's the call here boss?

(Also, I'll spoil it and say that Tolerance is all but DEAD in the U.S. as everyone is teaming up against everyone else, everything is becoming very polarized over here, but hey :) )

Oh and...

ALL HAIL THE ALDMERI DOMINION!!!
ALL HAIL THE MAD GOD!!!
images

Jader

The Mystic Marksman
Jader

what about freedom of speech, granted this isn't yours or my message board, but what of it? So if a Christian or someone "with beliefs" chooses or accidentally maybe prays in public or is adjusting a cross or Jewish Star or a Talos amulet and you should see it... what is a fitting punishment for the infraction? Cause they didn't keep it to themselves, of course...

This sounds funny coming from someone who fought for the Empire!!! :) I didn't fight for the Empire of Mede however :rolleyes:

So anyways, let's say I failed in "keeping it to myself" what's the call here boss?

(Note: This is most likely where I'll get banned/forum locked like how the Nazi Admins like to do at Fascist Nexus when someone starts to lose an argument then *REQUESTS TO HAVE SOMEONE BANNED* however I want to take the 1% chance that I can get an intelligent answer out of Jader ~ Wish Me Luck Everybodies!!!)

(Also, I'll spoil it and say that Tolerance is all but DEAD in the U.S. as everyone is teaming up against everyone else, everything is becoming very polarized over here, but hey :) )

Oh and...

ALL HAIL THE ALDMERI DOMINION!!!
ALL HAIL THE MAD GOD!!!
images

OK..for starters I believe you're taking what I said out of context.I have no problem with people broadcasting their faith, its when they look down at others of different or no religion, or try to force their beliefs onto someone else,that I have a problem. Freedom of speech is all well and good until its abused.There is no punishment, nor should there be,for being proud of your faith.I simply stated that zealotry in religion is what ruins it. Dispute how it may have sounded in earlier posts,I am truly tolerant and respectful of other beliefs,races,etc.

Note:I don't believe that you'd be banned for your opinions, just the abrasive nature in which you present them,such as assuming a 99% chance of an unintelligible response from me. That alone tells me you're narcissistic or arrogant in your belief that you're intellectually superior to someone you know little to nothing about.

NENALATA

That alone tells me you're narcissistic or arrogant in your belief that you're intellectually superior to someone you know little to nothing about.

I could say the same.

Yeah I know, I had actually removed that from my post before-hand but go ahead. I had realized afterwards the percentage thing wouldn't come off the way I wanted it to. I was trying to point out that most of the time I don't get a decent answer, not that you wouldn't provide one. But hey, you called us "bible-thumpers" "butthurt" so touche...

*smells the potential bible-humper butthurt*

Nothing narcissistic or arrogant about making a statement like that. No idiocy or ignorance behind that statement at all. Right?

Rimfaxe96

151_zps9060b373.gif

FINALLY. I've been waiting for such a discussion since I joined this forum. So, these are the kind of threads where Dagmar gets her negative ratings, interesting.

To make it more spicy and with the intention to maybe even get my very first negative rating as well, I'll let my atheism hang out:
Remember that in the Elder Scrolls universe Gods are without a doubt existant. While they don't intervene in events or take action themselves, there is a certain communication (which can be proven, hence the quest "The Book of Love") between these Divines and their priests/priestesses. In our world there is no proof so far, nothing at all except the story a very old bestseller - actually, many old bestseller books - tells us.

Now, c'mon and take my negativity-virginity!

tumblr_lmr4toUOCs1qe3twro1_500_zps8260d1da.gif

Jader

The Mystic Marksman
NENALATA,

Again..you're taking what I said out of context.

1)Narcissism- for your belief that you wouldn't get an intelligible answer from me,or at least what the statement implied. I do NOT believe or represent that I am superior to anyone unless they provide proof of their inferiority through unintelligible or otherwise blatantly idiotic statements.

2)bible-humper butthurt- a crude way of saying zealotry,which is the usual kind of response I get when I challenge their faith in any way.

I honestly don't understand where you see any arrogance or ignorance in that statement.

NENALATA

bible-humper butthurt- a crude way of saying zealotry,which is the usual kind of response I get when I challenge their faith in any way.

I honestly don't understand where you see any arrogance or ignorance in that statement.

Ohhh really! Hehehe

Uh-huh. No further questions your honor. Hehehe. I guess calling people "butt-hurt" and "bible-humpers" doesn't ostracize my whatever at all.

I dunno. You know, I never wanted to get this deep into the religious side of things, truly. I stand by everything I've said but, there are NUMEROUS different sects and divisions of Christianity. Interestingly enough, Islam is the same difference, just not as many. That's one thing which weakened and eventually broke up the Turkish Sultanate.

It's been fun. And my only point in coming here was to point out the disparity in the original argument(s) on the Byz Empire. I've had several Greek friends and I so wish one of them could come here and tell you guys just how awful it really was. At least the Christians allowed people to leave and come to the new world. True, there was some wars fought over Christianity but in the end we all learned from our mistakes and moved on. Unlike Islam, where if you try and walk away from the faith you're to be executed. That says alot. Sadly, I've watch this country, the U.S. go from GLORIOUS to a divided, polarized nightmare.

Course there's no fighting right now... but the violence in some cities is building up... it's all on ceremony for now. :)

NENALATA

Oh and if you didn't know, this is the first day of Autumn, so happy Autumn Day everybodies! :) I look forward to much cooler weather.

Mr.Self Destruct

Chosen Undead

I ctrl-f'd horseback riding on every one of those links and found no mention that the Greeks couldn't ride horses. Instead, a quote on your wikipedia link states ^ The Greeks in the city [Salonica] rang their church bells, rode through the streets on horseback, wore fine clothes and did not step down from the pavement when they passed a Muslim

NENALATA

@Mr Self

http://www.historyofjihad.org/greece.html
Jewish testimony was not accepted in the courts of justice, and in cases of the murder of a Jew or Christian by a Muslim, the latter was usually not condemned to death. In addition, Jews as well as Christians were normally not acceptable for appointments to the highest administrative posts; they were forbidden to carry arms (thus, to serve in the army), to ride horses in towns or to wear Muslim dress. They were also not usually allowed to build or repair places of worship and were often subjected to oppression, extortion and violence by both the local authorities and the Muslim population

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottoman_Greece
Ottoman rule of the provinces was characterized by two main functions. The local administrators within the provinces were to maintain a military establishment and to collect taxes.[13] The military establishment was feudal in character.[13] The Sultan's cavalry was entirely Turkish and were allotted land, either large allotments or small allotments based on the rank of the individual cavalryman. All non-Muslims were forbidden to ride a horse which made traveling more difficult.[13] The Ottomans divided Greece into six sanjaks, each ruled by a Sanjakbey accountable to the Sultan, who established his capital in Constantinople in 1453. Before this division occurred, the Ottomans implemented the millet system, which segregated peoples within the Ottoman Empire based on religion.

http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Ottoman_Greece
The incorporation of Greece into the Ottoman Empire had other long-term consequences. Economic activity declined to a great extent (mainly because trade flowed towards cities like Smyrna and Constantinople), and the population declined, at least in the lowland areas (Ottoman censuses did not include many people in mountainous areas). Turks settled extensively in Thrace. After their expulsion from Spain in 1492, Sephardic Jews settled in Thessaloniki (known in this period as Salonica or Selanik), which became the main Jewish centre of the empire. The Greeks became inward-looking, with each region cut off from the others—only Muslims could ride a horse, which made travel difficult. Greek culture declined, and outside the Church few people were literate. The Greek language broke up into regional dialects, and absorbed large numbers of Turkish words. Greek music and other elements of Greek folk-culture were, to a great extent, influenced by Ottoman trends.

Status
Not open for further replies.