Is it worth getting your smithing to lv. 100

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Henry McDonald

{Prodigy}................
?????????

Stone

Retired Moderator
Definitely. It's quick and easy, and at level 100 it allows you to create amazing weapons, like daedric and ebony. I definitely recommend it.

morguen87

|\/| P |/\|
I never liked to grind skills. I just play the game and level up the skills I use as I go. It makes for a much better experience in my opinion and feels more natural. Grinding skills ruins the rpg aspect and makes the game boring.
Just play the game and if you get skills to 100 cause you use them a lot good for you, but don't grind em. It's fun and the way the game is meant to be played. I could see grinding on higher difficulties because it may become a necessity, but there's no reason to on the default skill.

Leveling up skills as you naturally use them better defines your character because you are leveling up and getting more proficient in what you actually use. Artificially grinding takes away from the rpg immersion. Just my two cents.

Its only good if its among one of the things you start earlier. Save all of those pelts and purchase leather/leather strips whenever you get the chance and it won't take long.

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
I never liked to grind skills. I just play the game and level up the skills I use as I go. It makes for a much better experience in my opinion and feels more natural. Grinding skills ruins the rpg aspect and makes the game boring.
Just play the game and if you get skills to 100 cause you use them a lot good for you, but don't grind em. It's fun and the way the game is meant to be played. I could see grinding on higher difficulties because it may become a necessity, but there's no reason to on the default skill.

Leveling up skills as you naturally use them better defines your character because you are leveling up and getting more proficient in what you actually use. Artificially grinding takes away from the rpg immersion. Just my two cents.

I agree. Because of simply playing the game the way it's meant to, my character is becoming much more balanced. And I don't want to bore myself grinding something. I want to enjoy the game.

Stone

Retired Moderator
I agree. Because of simply playing the game the way it's meant to, my character is becoming much more balanced. And I don't want to bore myself grinding something. I want to enjoy the game.
I guess it's down to how you like playing RPG games. Some people like to glitch and cheat to get high stats, and other's like to play legit.

I always create two accounts, one legit, one not. :)

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
Well I don't consider grinding 'cheating'. The game mechanics are the same, you're just doing them over and over to get what you want. I did this in Red Dead Redemption's Multiplayer and I regretted it later. To the point where I started over again.

I will make another character in Skyrim, however, I'm really starting to get attached to the one I have (she's also the one I used in Oblivion). So, I don't want to grind anything. I want her as balanced as possible.

vincent

SC2: DudeMan 346
With the smithing at 100, you can upgrade the best weapons and armor to be even better. My ebony mace does 73 damage plus 15 cold damage.

Does anyone know a good place get deadra hearts?

Stone

Retired Moderator
With the smithing at 100, you can upgrade the best weapons and armor to be even better. My ebony mace does 73 damage plus 15 cold damage.

Does anyone know a good place get deadra hearts?
Yes, I know a great place to get them, but you have to do a hard-ish quest first. You need to go to the Shrine of Mehrunes Dagon. But for the door to open there, you need to complete the quest called Pieces of the Past. It's hard but I found it quite fun. At the end of that quest, you get three good things.

1) Mehrunes Razor (If you kill the guy at the end)
2) A room inside the shrine full of cool loot.

and then the third thing you get is what you want. Every 2-3 days daedra monsters respawn at the Shrine, and so you can kill them to get hearts. You also get around 4-5 hearts during the quest. :)

Hope that helped.

vincent

SC2: DudeMan 346
I did that quest. Ill just warp to the shrine. Totally forgot about it too. There are way too many locations for my brain to remember. Thanks

Pestilence

Uneducated guesses since 1983
Enthir (eventually) sells 2 Daedra hearts at the College, as well as the shop keep at Arcadia's Couldron (Whiterun). There is also one that respawns on a plate downstairs in Jorrvaskr outside of Kodlak Whitemane's room (or yours, depending on your quest progression).

amerelium

I went from lvl 10 to 100 in one sitting - you see, in their brilliance, Bethesda has mede it so that you get the same amount of skill pregression no matter what you craft. So just pick up a lot of leather, and do leather bracers - no more than 5 per level, until you hit the 70s..

Ive played the game normally and hit mines and stuff I come across on my journeys. I now have a full set of Legendary Ebony armor, shield, sword, and bow. Sitting at about 467 defense and doing some pretty good damage. :p My smithing is at about 82 right now.
BTW good tip when your going to craft something, AND improve it. Make sure your wearing any Smithing Rings, Ammys, and use a Smithing Potion.

tha420Moose

bLaze up. play skYrim

i kind of agree but when i play a game like this i like to do everything and just playing through the game wont get you the full experience. i agree that grinding is boring and not really how the game is supposed to be played which is why i did it at many different times; i didnt just go from level 20 straight to 100.

eskimoletdinov

Dual Wield Warrior
I dont know whether it'd be classed as grinding but i'm upto level 100 smithing now but rather than creating to level up, i've just used pieces found around the lands and caves to keep making weapons/armor in order to make some much needed cash.

I do think though that Having a high level on this has its advantages with the class of weapons you can have but also, i'm only level 28 and have so much more to do and with already unlocking level 100 and having access to the final tier of weapons means there is not as much (weapons wise) to look forward to aside from the unique weapons. just my opinion though.

tha420Moose

bLaze up. play skYrim
yeah but i like how if you wanted to, you could have the best armor/weapons in the beginning of the game.

Ebony Knight

Lore Sword
I actually don't enjoy grinding at all. Monotony drills me down in a hurry so the only "grinding" I've done was getting smithing from 70-81 in one sitting (i HAD to use those ebony ingots I was sitting on :)). The thing is I kind of disagree with the premises that grinding is against how the devs intended it to be played. For one that is what I would consider the closest video game interpretation for getting better at something, practice is grinding. Secondly anyone who has been playing since daggerfall can tell you...this is The Elder Scrolls guys, bethesda intends for the player to live this character out as they see fit. Terrified to battle a mudcrab before decked in deadric? Better learn to love that forge! Feel an insatiable urge to collect every teacup in the game? Don't forget to invite the mad hatterand sheogorath to your tea party! This is a game about playing as you see fit and creating a UNIQUE hero. If those freedoms were not given to us it wouldn't be an elder scrolls game. Love it!

eskimoletdinov

Dual Wield Warrior
I actually don't enjoy grinding at all. Monotony drills me down in a hurry so the only "grinding" I've done was getting smithing from 70-81 in one sitting (i HAD to use those ebony ingots I was sitting on :)). The thing is I kind of disagree with the premises that grinding is against how the devs intended it to be played. For one that is what I would consider the closest video game interpretation for getting better at something, practice is grinding. Secondly anyone who has been playing since daggerfall can tell you...this is The Elder Scrolls guys, bethesda intends for the player to live this character out as they see fit. Terrified to battle a mudcrab before decked in deadric? Better learn to love that forge! Feel an insatiable urge to collect every teacup in the game? Don't forget to invite the mad hatterand sheogorath to your tea party! This is a game about playing as you see fit and creating a UNIQUE hero. If those freedoms were not given to us it wouldn't be an elder scrolls game. Love it!
Good point mate, i know a lot (prefer to be a gung-ho player myself ;) ) that spent most of their time on oblivion just crouched or jumping to build those stats and so on.

A question to anyone already past it, do levelling and perk points stop at level 50?

Stone

Retired Moderator
Good point mate, i know a lot (prefer to be a gung-ho player myself ;) ) that spent most of their time on oblivion just crouched or jumping to build those stats and so on.

A question to anyone already past it, do levelling and perk points stop at level 50?
I haven't passed it (I'm close to doing so) but from reading around apparently they don't. You only stop leveling and getting PP when you have 100 everything. You can read something about that here.