Is ignoring Enchanting to roleplay the "pure" Warrior worth it?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

DovahCap

The one cube to rule them all.
I just can't decide. My character Leksandr is supposed to be the pure Nord warrior, no magic, no silly sneakery. Is it worth it?

Elvus

I think it would be extremely difficult to play without enchanting,especially at higher levels. But if you want to attempt it let us know how it goes:).

DovahCap

I attempted it once on a PS3, which I sold to buy a better PC that could handle bigger games. It turned out surprisingly well.

Belle

Fool of Hearts - Laughter Incarnate
I've never played with Enchanting. I don't get it xD I heard about how great it was (And smithing) so I tried it, and it just confuses me. And I play a pure warrior just fine, so it should work for you ^_^

Elvus

I've never played with Enchanting. I don't get it xD I heard about how great it was (And smithing) so I tried it, and it just confuses me. And I play a pure warrior just fine, so it should work for you ^_^
I'm so dependent on enchanting this just seems impossible,lol. So take my opinion for what it's worth.

Soulcano

I get by just fine without doing my own enchanting. Of course, I'll gladly use any enchanted weapons or armor that I find or buy.

bluewar40

I havent done a playthrough without enchanting but i dont think it would be too hard. More expensive maybe because of the need to buy or find your own enchanted weapons. But I think it is perfectly doable.

I never used any form of magic for my first two games. Now I usually stick to just one path if a warrior, but it is usually Destruction. No doubt, adding Enchantment does make it easier.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
If you mean role playing a character that doesn't use any magic, it can be challenging in the sense that it takes longer to kill things because of the lower damage. Without using any enchanted items, with 100 skill and the 5 damage perks your damage multipier is only going to be 3 times the sum of the base damage of the weapon and any damage bonus from tempering the weapon with your Smithing skill. With 100 weapon skill with the 5 damage perks and 100 Smithing skill, a Skyforge Steel Sword is only going to do about 63 damage per normal attack. On Master difficulty setting that will be halved to 31-32 damage per normal attack. That means you would have to hit an Ancient Dragon 100 times with normal attacks or 50 with power attacks on Master difficulty setting before it dies. While that can be tedious, it also makes the battles seem a bit more epic and you get a feeling of greater accomplishment in killing a Dragon.

Dealing with magic attacks is going to be tougher too. You can still cap physical damage resistance with armor but you will probably want to get the Agent of Mara power early on as well as keep the Lord Stone as your active Standing Stone to give yourself decent magic resistance.

If you've never done it before, you might want to try it with a basic sword and shield build your first time around. It's the easiest fighting strategy to adopt for long term combat and the Block perks can be very helpful against archery and magic attacks and let you dish out extra damage when bashing with the possibility of disarming enemies.

You may as well get all three words to the Elemental Fury shout early on as well to increase your attack speed.

Unit7

Completely depends on the difficulty setting... and even on Master it's possible. Right now the only enchanted equipment I use is the Nightingale Armor a ring with backstab and a amulet of resist fire.

Well ok I also have my alchemy/smithing gear. Most of which was bought.

But again. You really don't need to do your own enchanting. Might be annoying if you want to find that one weapon with the correct enchantment... but I wouldn't say enchanting is necessary. Useful yes. But not needed.

DB Assassin

I can never be bothered with enchanting. Enchanted apparel is okay, but I hate the idea of having to keep filling up soul gems for weapons. I just get legendary Daedric weapons and i'm good to go :).

Do you mean you don't want to use any Enchanted Weapons/Armour or do you just mean you don't want to use the Enchanting skill?

Either way, I would say you definitely want Smithing to boost your weapons and armour non-magically. Thematically a warrior should know how to repair and maintain their own stuff anyway.

If you're happy to use enchanted equipment it will be interesting to see how much more valuable you find it when you're not able to just make your own. Don't see why it wouldn't work as a build as I can't think of anything that specifically requires Enchanting and at the end of the day, it's just a way to do a little more damage and take a little less.

The gear in game is perfectly fine without the need for custom or double enchants. I think that getting smithing to 60 is key so that you can upgrade the found in game stuff.

Savior of the Damned

Ahhh, random naked courier guy...we meet again :|
I just can't decide. My character Leksandr is supposed to be the pure Nord warrior, no magic, no silly sneakery. Is it worth it?
I'm following exactly the same route, my Nord, Oragar is going the same "pure" warrior way, and I dont use any enchanting, its not really a necessity aslong as you fight smart at the later levels with defensive counterattacks.

theoperation

Hero of Jorvasskr
If you go down this path, might I suggest the Lord Stone? I did this no enchanting thing and found out that powerful mages and dragons to be quite a problem.

Clau

The Fateless One
Playing a pure warrior class with my nord got rid of my urge to grind enchanting.

Gagarin

Enchanting is OP and i never use it. I rarely do smithing. It makes the game much more exciting to play only with what you find and buy. Also, money becomes more valuable.

Yeah, you don't need smithing, and enchanting. Especially if you already are smithing, Enchanting adds some nifty effects, but you can live without them. Late game, the biggest gap will probably be Magic Resistance, which you can get from pre-enchanted gear (Most of it Heavy Armor unless you find some light) such as Otar, Ysgramor's Shield, and so forth. I'd definitely go for 1H?block over 2H because of Elemental Protection, and a bow would be nice for standoff enemies. Smithing alone does much more damage, it's multiplied by Armsman, Sneak Attack Bonuses, and so forth, Enchanted damage isn't.

Gore gro-Gijakudob

What do you mean by 'pure' warrior? Do you mean only choosing perks that come under the warrior constellations? If so, why not enchanting? It's a warrior skill, it's all about improving weapons and armour. And your warrior won't be calling sneaking silly when 10X Dagger damaged is coming his way when his back is turned? :p (Especially if it's an enchanted dagger) :D

DovahCap

Eh, I suppose. Besides, for RP and challenge reasons, I'm not allowed to use any weapons past steel and any armor past steel plate (not including daedric artifacts for weapons or armor, though, since they're so amazing)

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts